What size roster do you guys enjoy using?

I use about 20 active wrestlers per brand i have. That doesn't include managers, announcers, etc. so around 25-30 total workers per brand. The 'Ideal Roster' thinks im WAY understaffed but i run longer matches usually and enjoy developing specific storylines so having alot of extras just hanging around seems to get in my way unless im using them as jobbers.

I obviously turn the roster penalties off.

Well... obviously it depends on the size of my company, now doesn't it?

First off, I never use brands... I'm far too fond of the days before the WWE used them.

With that said... no matter my company's size, I tend to aim for about 4 to 6 over the "required" amount of active wrestlers, give or take. Any less than that and I risk getting caught below the required amount due to random injuries and such, and can sometimes struggle to have enough people to fill space during my largest events. More than that, though, I tend to find myself struggling to ever find time for some people during my smaller shows. That, and I refuse to due dark show battle royals due to both the fact it seems like an incredibly lame cop-out, and I'm learning how to work with the whole wear n' tear system and making sure that I don't end up cutting several years off of my guy's careers.

Who cares about your guys' careers? I mean, really? Get the slackers to work!

I've had upwards of 90 workers in a Regional/Cult fed before now, primarily because of a brand split. Even when I ended the split, I kept all the shows, cut very few workers, and tried to get everyone at least one appearance a week.

However, with my current SWF game I have 44 workers under contract (plus a lot more in development) with an A and a B show. I try and get everyone on at least one show a week, sometimes two for the younger midcarders who'll benefit from the double exposure (or anyone grumpy about missing shows).

I have no problem with dark matches, although in my case I prefer fourway tags or 5v5 matches rather than big battle royals.

I'm far more minimalist when it comes to my roster. I only use who I need to use to tell the stories. Especially in lower-end promotions where folks are working on PPA deals. No way I'm paying someone their full fee just to work a dark match (not unless they were a special project at any rate) I'm not made of money!

I'm usually comfortable with 4-5 below the recommended. When I play with roster penalties on I just hire a bunch of extra unknown guys that I really don't care about, and throw them the occasional bone when I get the chance.

Oddly, in diary games my roster becomes much bigger. I need a constant supply of fresh, new, exciting jobbers to feed to my stars.

Well my current roster is 42 people all together, with about 36 of them wrestlers. Many of those arent needed and dont get used much, but i dont want to get rid of. With my tag division going to expand more people might get used.

My motto with regard to roster size: Go big or go home.

I typically have a dozen developmental projects on the roster at a time, in addition to the proven performers (at all card levels) and typically a ton (read: 20+) of manager types. I'm a developer of talent and the one at a time line of thinking doesn't work for me.

I think having a strong Face/Heel divide makes you have a larger roster than one without the divide.

I have NYCW about to hit regional and I'm 17 over the recommended size. That means I have 34 wrestlers if you count Larry Vessey. Granted I have 12 guys that haven't debuted yet. Once I hit regional I will be less over the recommended size, but still happy with the number.

I'm moving to 3 hours shows with 8 matches and 6 angles. My first show with this format is up next and if it's a really good show we should hit regional.

Normally I play with maybe 4-5 over the minimum just to avoid penalties in case of injury or someone getting snatched, but my latest diary, I am actually running a fairly bloated roster for me, as I have about 12-15 people more than the minimum for my size federation.

I generally like to use everyone on my roster for some purpose, even if that purpose is just to job every show, but currently I usually have 8-10 people left after I make up a main show and I end up just throwing in them in a preshow battle royal for experience purposes.

Right now in my main game, I'm trying to stay right around the recommened total (at Regional). Currently I'm hanging at about 2-3 over, having just hired a few people who just became available in Europe (UEW) and debuted, as well as having a project worker who I'd hate to have to use on regular shows. With PPA contracts, as long as I don't have lots of downsides to worry about, I can get up to 10-12 over just signing workers that I like. With written contracts, I try to avoid that since I have to pay people whether I use them or not.

If I'm a Regional promotion I could have 5+ workers over the requirement. And if I'm Cult I could have 10+ workers over the requirement. At those levels I feel you need extras in case someone no-shows your event, has a previous engagement with another promotion, or due to fatigue. I'm a firm believer of covering all your bases. If something random pops up and affects your plan - you better have a backup ready to go. Does a football team ONLY have 11 people on their roster? Does a basketball team ONLY have 5 players on the roster? Nope - they have backups and reserves. I bring that same mentality to TEW.

Now if we're talking about a National promotion and bigger... that's where it gets a little tricky. Latest check I just did shows I have 48 more workers than the requirement as a Global promotion. That number seems massive, but with three major brands it doesn't end up being that astronomically high. I have 40 (give or take one or two) workers on each brand. Now if you look at the requirement for a Global promotion (69 workers) you'll see that my overall roster is massive, but broken down into three parts it's actually smaller then the overall requirement. At least that's how I look at it considering I treat each brand like its own roster.

I love brand splits and I like having a ton of workers to choose from.

Corollary: Variety is the spice of life.

We can do this all week, Self :p

I've been meaning to ask, incidentally, how you manage developing large rosters? I've tried this in the past, and even with workers taking part in a minimum of one match (and sometimes up to four) a week, they seem to develop slowly unless you have a fairly narrow focus.

My 90 worker fed probably had around a 50:50 split of trainer:trainee (granted this was on '07) but a lot of them might only move on a grade in any given stat in a a year of regular matches.

I haven't done enough experimenting on 10 to see if it's any different, but the same seemed to be the case for 08 (thank you, Antonio...).

I find I'm usually around 3-5 above the "ideal" roster. My roster starts to feel small when it goes below that. I'll go bigger if guys that I want become available, but I'll let some other contracts expire (I rarely, if ever, release people in the middle of a contract) and go back down.

I've been meaning to ask, incidentally, how you manage developing large rosters? I've tried this in the past, and even with workers taking part in a minimum of one match (and sometimes up to four) a week, they seem to develop slowly unless you have a fairly narrow focus.

My 90 worker fed probably had around a 50:50 split of trainer:trainee (granted this was on '07) but a lot of them might only move on a grade in any given stat in a a year of regular matches.

I haven't done enough experimenting on 10 to see if it's any different, but the same seemed to be the case for 08 (thank you, Antonio...).

You stagger focuses. That's always worked best for me. Not every worker should get to work every week against your top people. In my diary game, for example, Recipe for Success is working regularly with Principessa and Amber Allen, both of which are more capable than Gina & Keisha. What's more, Principessa has autopushed to Main Eventer almost since the beginning but I've held her at Upper Mid until this program is over (I don't tend to have main eventers working with midcarders). After this program is over, Keisha & Gina will then work with a team more on their level (I'm leaning toward the Commonwealth but Megumi & Martina are a possibility as well). Basically, I rotate people around my "capable" workers to keep them learning as much as possible. I also tend to book people to their weaknesses when they're developing. So, for example, an Emma Bitch (rumble strength, aerial/technical weakness) might find herself being fed a steady diet of flyers or technicians who are weak in rumble. Cherry Bomb is another good example. She's awesome in the rumble and performance area and good technically but awful aerially. So it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility to see her have to battle flyers (and that's already started) to improve in aerial skill and to help her opponents improve in rumble, technical, and performance.

The way I've always done it is putting workers together if there's a chance they'll help each other in any way outside of the match result. Like, there's a feud that'll start at the pay per view between a worker who is a very good flyer and good technician but awful brawler and she'll be facing off against someone who is a 'meh' brawler (but more than twice as good as her opponent), good technician, and 'meh' flyer. The superhero team is going to go up against a team that is superior to them in pretty much every way and hopefully, they'll come away from that program a lot better than they had been. Geena is a good brawler but not very good in the other areas so of course, she's going to be pitted against people who aren't very good at brawling but are better than she is technically, aerially, and performance wise. In the process, perhaps she'll be able to impart some of her excellent entertainment skills on her opponents during non-wrestling segments.

In my view, you don't need a bunch of Ogiwaras and Hikes to effective improve workers. You just need people who are better at the desired skill than the prospect is.

You just need people who are better at the desired skill than the prospect is.

Exactly. A worker doesn't have to be a true all-rounder to be capable of helping train younger workers. A mediocre worker with good Brawling, or good Basics and Selling but kinda poor Psychology, can still help.

Archived