New Major Wrestling Promotion Set to Open soon

MasterJ

Source: Pwinsider.com

A new wrestling promotion is starting up out of Florida. The promotion, which has quietly been putting together a business plan, is said to have major financial backing. The new promotion is already signing wrestlers up, and along with the contracts, are having them sign confidentiality agreements.

There is no name known for the promotion at this time, but it is known that they will not actively do anything until the fall. A full promotional launch is expected at the beginning of 2011, As of this time, there is no information of TV deals or TV tapings.

Businessman Peter Karoftis is said to be the main backer for the promotion. Karoftis previously worked with Sterling Equities, which is a New York-based investment firm that owns The New York Mets organization, the SNY cable network, and several real estate and investment companies. Karoftis, along with Florida independent wrestler Sean Davis are said to be the core of the company right now.

Also working with the company are Kevin Kleinrock (Viva La Lucha, Wrestling Society X), Cody Michaels (WSX, XPW) and Mister Saint Laurent (longtime Florida promoter). Kleinrock will be working production, while it is expected that Laurent will work on the creative end. Laurent has previously promoted the "I Believe In Wrestling" company, and there may be a crossover between the new company and the "I Believe In Wrestling" talent and wrestling school.

As of this time, the only confirmed name to sign with the company is Sean Waltman. Many wrestlers asked about the company have declined comment, due to the confidentiality agreements

Well this could be good or bad it at least looks like they will have newer bookers and the money to help it get known I'm curiues with this being a time were somthing diffrent would help the wrestling industry well have to wait and see. Who do you all thank will be on the roster and how do you thank it could be

I dunno, just about any place that signs Sean won't be as great as it will be hyped out to be.

But I could be wrong.

You're not wrong.

But I've learned many things during my time exploring the possibility of opening a promotion. One of those things is, this isn't an area where you can throw money at deficiencies and have it turn out well.

Also, how "major" it is will only be determined AFTER it launches, not before. So calling it 'major' before it's even got a name, seems daft to me.

Not much to get hyped up about yet, although I wouldn't mind a second dose of WSX under a different name if that's what ends up on the table.

If they do away with the overly gimmick matches sure. Man even Russo was put to shame. A nice spotmonkey/hardcore fed could be fun. I think the major tags comes from the fact that someone with real money is trying this time, otherwise I see no reason and am with remi and the others.

If they do away with the overly gimmick matches sure. Man even Russo was put to shame. A nice spotmonkey/hardcore fed could be fun. I think the major tags comes from the fact that someone with real money is trying this time, otherwise I see no reason and am with remi and the others.

I just used the title of the stroy that was on the site I got it from I dont thank its already a major company other than the guy has money

Only person in that article I had ever heard of was Mister Saint Laurent. And that's only because he had been on some videos on Scott Hall's YouTube channel. The videos he uploaded were actually pretty funny. Problem is I could tell Hall was drunk or high in every episode. Him and Jake Roberts have too much in common. :(

I'll give it a shot. Any expansion of wrestling viewing options can only be a good thing in my mind. Heck, I was just watching the local public assess micro indy's show on Sunday night and it turned out to be a repeat from May. Last several weeks it's been the wrestling show I've watch most consistently. So bring this new one on. I'm game to give it a try.

Any clue on how that company in the north east are doing on tv? Or if they have started yet? NECW I think they where called and they got a big regional tv deal. Also anyone seen Viva La Lucha yet and is it any good? Wrestlicious was not my cup of tea and neither is Half Pint.

I'll give it a shot. Any expansion of wrestling viewing options can only be a good thing in my mind. Heck, I was just watching the local public assess micro indy's show on Sunday night and it turned out to be a repeat from May. Last several weeks it's been the wrestling show I've watch most consistently. So bring this new one on. I'm game to give it a try.

Agreed. I like choice. I miss having The Wrestling Channel over here in the UK - I think it was just too niche to succeed, especially given how outdated the TNA and ROH stuff was.

The problem is, there really isn't enough 'name' talent for a third company to make a big impact. Sean Waltman was last a big name more than ten years ago, so it seems like it'll be the usual mix of ex-WWE/TNA midcarders and indy nobodies that the man in the street will have little to no interest in.

Debuting with a splash is all very well, but let's see where we are in two months time. I hope they succeed and do well, but there's been too many failed companies (WWA, GWF, UWF spring to mind) who've thought they could immediately jump onto the national or international stage.

Hopefully there's some common (and business) sense involved, but this is wrestling, so I won't get my hopes up too far.

If you were opening a brand new promotion and money was no object as in this case what would you do?

Would you just try to push indy stars over WWE and TNA midcarders? I think that would be my approach. I think it would make my guys look as tough as the top guys in WWE and TNA if our home grown guys are better than their former midcarders. Occasionally take one of those midcarders and elevate them.

What about you? Any ideas?

The problem is, there really isn't enough 'name' talent for a third company to make a big impact. Sean Waltman was last a big name more than ten years ago, so it seems like it'll be the usual mix of ex-WWE/TNA midcarders and indy nobodies that the man in the street will have little to no interest in.

I hear talk like this all the time. Heck, I've even done it at times. But realistically speaking, what else is there? It's not like there are a whole lot of places one can realistically make a big name for themselves anymore. It's been roughly those same ten years since there were other stages to make a big name on. That's one of the reasons I'm game to give this new outfit a shot. If this Saint Laurent guy who thusfar I've only heard of in TEW mods can make these "indy nobodies" stand out, they won't be nobodies forever. Keep in mind that no matter which big name you choose, there were indy nobodies at one time themselves.

Heres a roster I have put together that I think could be good with the guys available

Main Event

Vampiro

Sean Waltmen

Scott Hall

Shelton Benjamin

Colt Cabana

Scott Steiner

Ken Doane

I n=know there is a bunch of old WWE WCW guys here but you have to have faces people know to put young guys over on

Mid Card

Jimmy Jacobs

BG James

Kip James

Jimmy Yang

Charlie Hass

Chris Hero

Afa Jr.

Petey Williams

Paul London

Eric Perez

Andy Douglas

Chase Stevens

Mistico

Lower Card

Jimmy Rave

Austin Creed

Larry Sweeny

Mike Mondo

Austin Areis

here is the latest

* Former WCW World Champion Vader has signed on with the company. Sean Waltman is also on board as we noted yesterday.

* Sterling Equities, parent company of The New York Mets organization, is not involved in the financing of the company. Milton Wilpon is personally financing the project.

* As of now, the company is trying to keep things under wraps as they don't want too much news to get out until they have tapings planned. They also do not want to make fans feel like they are being teased and forced to wait for something to happen.

Ken Doane in the main event? I love Ken and think he's seriously underrated but I'd throw him in the X Divison/Cruiserweight division and go from there. The guy has never once do anything to warrant "main eventer" in any semi national promotion.

Ken Doane in the main event? I love Ken and think he's seriously underrated but I'd throw him in the X Divison/Cruiserweight division and go from there. The guy has never once do anything to warrant "main eventer" in any semi national promotion.

Especially not under that name. And even presumbly the E would let him use the more familiar last name, I doubt he'd want to considering the mess his hero Lenny and Jim Cramer are caught up in. I don't know I'd marginalize him as much as Brother Stennick is suggesting,

As for how to present him, I'd go with a name structure like Kenny DeJesus. Maybe not that particular name as it sounds Spanish. But something like that which would allow them to take advantage of the familiar first name and last initial.

Ken Doane is his real name so I think he could use it if he wants. Kenneth George Doane is his real name. So he can use it if he wants.

The problem is he's been off television for what four years? In the four years since he's been released they never hired him back and nobody else of any importance has ever hired him either. I don't know why I always thought he was talented in a flippy floppy kinda way.

:rolleyes:

It's all about the pyro.

Pyro is a bit overdone now, I think. UFC doesn't have pyro and it looks awesome. When I talk about production values, I'm talking about quality camerawork. Attractive lighting. Good looking sets. Well-balanced audio. Something that looks better than your typical indy show. I watch and enjoy the Dragon-Gate USA shows, but I find it hard sometimes given how cheap it all looks.

I have no problem with Ken Doane as a 'Main Eventer'. So what if he's never been at the top of TNA or WWE? Promotions should make their own stars, not just suck the life out of existing ones.

I can't get over the fact that this upcoming promotion is presented as 'major' with the biggest name in the fold thus far seems to be Sean "no-show" Waltman. :rolleyes:

But the addition of Vader, if nothing but to feed nostalgia, is interesting. I wonder whether he can still go after all these years. Always liked him. If they really want to compete as a major company, they should grab all name-talent discarded by WWE and TNA. Like Benjamin, Booker T, Scott Steiner (and possibly his brother as well), etc and mix it up with young indie guys.

Anyway... anyone wonder about the location? Could this be Bischoff's new nWo, an inter-promotional war? :D

Pyro is a bit overdone now, I think. UFC doesn't have pyro and it looks awesome. When I talk about production values, I'm talking about quality camerawork. Attractive lighting. Good looking sets. Well-balanced audio. Something that looks better than your typical indy show. I watch and enjoy the Dragon-Gate USA shows, but I find it hard sometimes given how cheap it all looks.

I have no problem with Ken Doane as a 'Main Eventer'. So what if he's never been at the top of TNA or WWE? Promotions should make their own stars, not just suck the life out of existing ones.

I'd agree about the production values. I used to hate watching TNA because of the poor production values. They are better now though, I'd like to see them change the stage though.

Another promotion is nothing but a good thing. If they have money behind them, they should be able to make a decent shake at things. It will take a while though, it takes a year or two to establish the order of your card and get character development done.

Archived