wrestling newbie question

i pretty new to wrestling...just watch WWE on tv... is this game diffcult for a newbie to play and understand? or do a newbie need to be familar with all the moves? does game come with great manual that explains everything well? i am on a business trip, so i havent try the demo until i get back home.. thanks

As long as you know your DDT from your DVD, you should be fine. Lots of the moves in the game are used regularly in the WWE anyway (and they all come with pretty good descriptions of what they are) The game comes with a decent set of help files to get you started, and there isn't anything in the game I've found so far that would really confuse someone who's new. If you get stuck with something, you could always ask here :) You should probably have a good knowledge of the basics though. Do you know what the terms Heel and Babyface mean, and what Gimmicks are? (Not trying to be patronising, just trying to be helpful ;) )

A gimmick is a few things. Basically, it's something pretending it's something else. The thing it's most used for is to describe a wrestlers character (for example, Rico's hairstylist gimmick, then later on his "gay" gimmick, Hurricane's Superhero gimmick, and Triple H's "The Game" gimmick, ). Most wrestlers in the WWE have a gimmick of some kind (even if it's a realistic gimmick, like Kurt Angle's Gold Medallist gimmick (he really is a gold medallist, but he still uses it as a character so it's a gimmick)), but some don't (arguably, Chris Benoit doesn't actually have a gimmick, although he doesn't really need one since he's just a kickass wrestler. In fact, the fact that he doesn't need a gimmick to get over with the fans is probably a gimmick in itself). Another type of gimmick is a Gimmick Match. Which is where a match has certain stipulations, like a Tables match, or a Cage match. Other stuff you might need to know: The concept of "Overness". Overness is basically two things. The first type of over (which I think is what it's taken to mean in WreSpi), is just how well known/popular a wrestler is in a certain place. For example, Jushin Liger is very over in Japan, and Hijo De Santo is massively over in Mexico, but most Americans won't have heard of them. Whereas Chris Benoit is very over all over the world. Someone like Billy Reil isn't over at all outside of the Tri-State area. It goes deeper than that though, because although someone like Billy Kidman is quite well known all around the world, he doesn't get much of a reaction from the live crowds when he comes to the ring. That's because he's not over, by WWE standards. People don't boo him much, because they haven't been given much of a reason to hate him other than the fact that he turned on Paul London (who isn't a very over Face either). Whereas Kurt Angle is EXTREMELY over, because the fans have lots of reasons to hate him and boo him. John Bradshaw Layfield wishes he was over! But he gets a different kind of reaction (they boo him because he completely sucks. Not because he's a good heel. X-Pac had the same problem, although I liked X-Pac!). The reaction a wrestler gets is known as Heat. There's heel heat (booing, chanting bad stuff) and face heat (a.k.a, a pop). Stiffness: How much a wrestler makes his moves look real. Bradshaw, Heidenreich and Hardcore Holly are VERY stiff, almost dangerously so sometimes. Benoit and Angle are sorta medium, and Billy Kidman is as stiff as a wet paper towel. Sorry if that bored you :p I tend to go over the top with explanation sometimes :)

Heres the TEW In-Game wrestling terms definitions. Here is a list of some of the terms that you may be unfamiliar with: Promotion - This is another term for a wrestling company. Face - This is short for babyface, and means a 'good guy' wrestler. Heel - This means a 'bad guy' wrestler. Tweener - This means someone who is 'inbetween' - neither a proper face or a proper heel. Card - This is another name for an event or show. Booking - This refers to the process of choosing what happens at a show. It includes setting who will fight who, who will win, who will be interviewed, etc. The Head Booker is the person who has final say in the booking process, and he usually has a Booking Team to help him - this is a group of other workers who give their ideas and opinions. Over \ Overness - Being over means being able to get a reaction from the fans. If the worker is a face, being over means getting cheered, while for a heel it means being booed. Promotions can also be said to be over - the more over they are, the more fans are interested in them. Being over is the ultimate goal of any worker or promotion, as the bigger the reaction you get, the more people will pay to see you, and therefore the more money you will make. Gimmick - A gimmick is the 'act' that a worker does, and usually involved playing a character. Not everyone uses a gimmick, especially in the more serious pure wrestling promotions. Some examples of gimmicks would be Evil Clown, English Nobleman, or Egomaniac. Turn - A turn is when a worker changes his disposition, for example when he goes from being a fan-friendly face to a dastardly rule-breaking heel.

[QUOTE=MajikMan]After 5 years of watching this stuff I'd like to know what the DDT is short for :confused: Death Drop Thump? :o[/QUOTE] One rumor is that it stands for: Damiens Death Trap however I perfer Jakes way of putting it: "What does the DDT stand for? It stands for THE END!" Cuz it ends matches, get it? I'd say it's the best finisher in prowrestling.

DDT, according to almost every source I've read, doesn't actually stand for anything wrestling related. It's rumoured to be based on the insecticide (as mentioned above, bugger if I'm going to try and spell it :p), but it's not an acronym for any wrestling hold in the way that DVD or STF are.

To add more fuel to the debate on what DDT means....I found this at wrestleview.com What does DDT stand for? Ok, I'll make this short and sweet. DDT for wrestling stands for nothing. Although it comes from the biological term Dichlor-Diphenyl-Trichoroethane. Now people often get confused with Jake the Snake's DDT. Jake Roberts named his DDT "Damien's Dinner Time", but this was only to fit his Jake "The Snake" character, which by the way came up with the name a while after he started doing the move. But like I said, it doesn't stand for anything in wrestling.

Seeing as questions are being asked in here, I thought I'd throw one out there. What does placing someone as an 'Enhancement Talent' do? Is it used in the traditional sense? With someone like S.D. Jones (One of the best damn Enhancement Talents there is) who's past their wrestling prime, but now wrestles for the purpose of putting over younger talent and working Try-Out matches with the new kids?

Enchancement Talent is the "polite" term for Jobber, basically. Usually brought in on pay-per-appearance contracts from indy feds to lose to the promotion's contracted wrestlers and make them look good (the indy talent you see on Heat and Velocity are Enhancement Talent. They don't have a proper contract, they're just brought in to lose to established wrestlers and make them look good). Sometimes, like good ol' Brookyln Brawler, they're actually contracted to the promotion, but still they're used in the same way - lose to Wrestler X and make him look good so that people will take notice of him. *remenisces about the good ol' J.O.B Squad, with Brawler, Al Snow, and...I forgot who else :( Crash Holly?)* They're not the same as developmental talent, although developmental talent are often used as enhancement talent while they're developing (if that makes any sense).

[QUOTE=D-Lyrium]Stiffness: How much a wrestler makes his moves look real. Bradshaw, Heidenreich and Hardcore Holly are VERY stiff, almost dangerously so sometimes. QUOTE] I thought stiffness was more about how hard a worker hit. Like Vader puts a lot of power behind his powerbombs, whereas others just sort of place the opponent on the mat. Or with the down on the ground foot stomp that most workers do, some guys make decent, hard contact, others look like they couldn't break an egg. Making it look real seems to be the receiver's job of "selling". No?

That's exactly it ;) Vader is probably the stiffest worker I've EVER seen! That's what I meant by "making it look real". Selling has a part to play in making moves look realistic, sure. But without stiffness, the best seller in the world won't be able to make them look real. A good example of this is an exchange of punches between The Rock and Chris Jericho. Both are great sellers (probably two of the best, Rock at least..), but neither are very stiff. If you watch a brawl between Rock and Jericho, it's quite obviously "fake". Neither hits with any deal of power. Then watch a brawl between Austin and Kurt Angle. Angle is an equally good seller (I'll admit, Austin pre-2002 is shite), but that looks a lot more real, because those two are stiffer. Another example: The Undertaker's powerbomb doesn't look very stiff at all (not nowadays anyway. He used to be pretty stiff), Brock Lesnar's looks like it KILLS his opponent! Stiffer opponents tend to cause more injuries, too (John Heidenreich injured Stevie Richards THREE SEPERATE TIMES in THREE CONSECUTIVE MATCHES. And you wonder why he went back to OVW after his Little Johnny stint? :P), although that's more to do with Ring Safety (which Heidenriech has very little of!) more than Stiffness. Stiffness still plays a part though, just ask poor Matt Cappotelli (the recipient of many a bruise courtesy of Hardcore Holly on Tough Enough. Holly isn't unsafe, he's just extremely stiff, although some people say he did that deliberately). Selling has a big part to play in making moves look like they hurt, but Stiffness has a part to play in making them look like they're actually hitting the opponent. Selling is also linked with Psychology. Rob Van Dam is a great example here. Initially, when he's selling the impact of the move, he's brilliant. But after ten minutes he's forgotten about the 'injuries' he's sustained so far in the match and he's running around all over the place. Whereas someone like Chris Benoit or Rey Mysterio would be limping and hopping, or holding their arm, etc. So yeah, what were we talking about? lol...I have a tendancy to ramble :(

Archived