World Championship Wrestling 2000 Russo Saves WCW

“What do you expect me to do Ted I’m working with what I’ve got here and that’s a bunch of old men who don’t want to lose to anyone I understand that my decisions as of late have been shaky but give be another chance I’ll do better I’ll raise the ratings.”

“Listen Vince the workers are angry the money is bleeding out, and to be honest the established names would be fine if they were used right now I will give you another chance but if the rating are not better in four months I’ll have no choice but to let you go”

“Ok, but I think I would work better without a team can you tell Bischoff to leave everything to me?”

“I will, but you have your time frame make it work.”

“I’ll get right on it I’m going to redo next weeks Nitro and get everything going the right way boss.”

WCW Nitro Preview

Summer is on its way and WCW kicks off the first Summer Blast Chase for the World Championship Tournament this new 16 man tournament kicks off this week with four of the first round matches as Billy Kidman will take on Booker T, Chris Kanyon will take on former tag team partner Diamond Dallas Page, Hulk Hogan will take on the “Career Killer” Mike Awesome, and Kevin Nash goes up against Goldberg

Billy Kidman (Heel) V. Booker T (Face)

Chris Kanyon (heel) V. DDP (Face)

Hulk Hogan (Face) V. Mike Awesome (Heel)

Kevin Nash (Heel) V. Goldberg (Face)

TS: Welcome to WCW I’m Tony Schiavone here with Mike Tenay and Larry Zbyszko and guys tonight marks the start of the first Summer Blast Chase for the World Championship Tournament for those of you who have not seen the web site this a tournament with 16 guys to determine who will face Jarrett for the WCW World Championship at Bash at The Beach.

MT: That’s right Tony and tonight we have the first 4 matches in this tournament and on Thunder on Thursday we will have the other four that are yet to be announced and on Saturday the second round brackett will be announced on WCW Saturday night.

LZ: Well enough with the talk lets get this baby started.

DDP Beat Chris Kanyon

• Kanyon controlled the first four minutes of the match working on the right arm of DDP

• DDP gains control with a reverse on a reverse DDT from Kanyon at the seven minute mark of the match and started working on Kanyon for the most part in the corner

• The match ended when Kanyon went for a clothesline but DDP ducked under it and hit a Diamond Cutter and covered for the three count.

Rating: 77

Commercial

We return with Booker T standing in the ring

• He cuts a promo about how he has laid low over the last few months but he was going to make the fans happy with WCW by putting respect back in the WCW

• Billy Kidman the comes out and tells Booker that what he just said was BS, he said that the reason Booker wasn’t in the title picture before was the politics of the bigger stars in WCW not wanting to step out of the light.

• Booker denies that and says that the reason was he had injuries that were being nursed and Kidman’s mad that the fans never liked him enough to have management give him a shot that he had to beg for it.

• Kidman goes to attack Booker but he is one step ahead and lays Kidman out with a scissors kick.

Rating: 69

TS: These two are going to go at it in the next match this is also a tournament match.

LZ: Why does nobody give Kidman any respect around here I hope he shows Booker and the WCW something tonight.

Billy Kidman beat Booker T

• Booker continues the beat down on Kidman from the pervious segment and controls the early part of the match.

• The referee gets knocked down when Kidman pushed Mark Johnson in the way of a Booker T clothesline.

• Kidman capitalizes by hitting a low blow which sets up for a tornado DDT followed by a Shooting Star Press then the cover for the win.

Rating: 73

LZ: There you go, I bet that lets them boys in the back know who’s the man to beat.

MT: Kidman stole that match and you know it Larry.

LZ: Oh shut up Tenay you have to do what you have to do.

Commercial

We see Goldberg making his way to the ring

As Goldberg was walking Nash came up behind him and hit him with a chair.

Rating: 90

Goldberg beat Kevin Nash

• Nash had to roll Goldberg into the ring to start the match, Nash controlled the first three minutes of the match keeping Goldberg grounded and able to get up.

• Goldberg gained control when Nash went for a Jackknife power bomb and he took the legs out from under Kevin Nash.

• Goldberg the gains complete control with keeping Nash in the corner and kneeing him in the mid section.

• Goldberg wins when he hit a Jackhammer on Nash followed by the pin for the win.

Rating: 77

TS: Wow Goldberg made beating Nash look like a rag doll out their.

MT: I don’t know if Nash was off his game or if Goldberg has found his spark back but he destroyed Nash and advances to the next round of the Tournament.

Hulk Hogan makes his way to the ring

• Hogan talks about how his time in WCW has been like a roller coaster the good times and the bad and says that tonight marks a new determined Hulk Hogan.

• He also tells the fans that he knows that over the last four years he has done some things that might have left them disappointed and upset but he still loves all of them

• He ends the promo with saying that Awesome has no chance in the match tonight and he might be called the career killer but you cant kill something that’s immortal.

Rating: 95

Commercial

Hulk Hogan Beat Mike Awesome

• Hogan controls the match early on with keeping Awesome off of his power game by keeping him on the mat with a couple of different submissions.

• Awesome takes advantage at the four minute mark of the match and is very aggressive and wont let up. Awesome gets a warning from the ref as he chokes Hogan with the ropes.

• Hogan Battles back and him and Awesome traded punches and Hogan Hulked up but Awesome kicked Hogan below the belt and the referee saw it and called for the bell as Hogan wins by DQ.

Rating: 75

After the match Awesome beats down Hogan as the show goes off the air.

Rating 76

Final Rating: 78

WCW Thursday Thunder

The Summer Blast Chase for the World Championship first round continues as we have the final four match of the first round this Thursday on Thunder. After a strong hate filled feud Sting will once again face off against Vampiro, Shane Douglas will face Ric Flair, Konnan will face Scott Steiner, and Shawn Stasiak will face Hugh Moris. All of this and the follow up to the end of Nitro from Monday.

Sting (Face) V. Vampiro (Heel)

Shane Douglas (Heel) V. Ric Flair (Face)

Konnan (Heel) V. Scott Steiner (Face)

Shawn Stasiak (Heel) V. Hugh Moris (Face)

Yeah, thats a great easy to follow style you got going on. Enjoyed the show.

Sting (Face) V. Vampiro (Heel)

Sting is one of the guys you should be building around whilst Vampiro is just passing through.

Shane Douglas (Heel) V. Ric Flair (Face)

Tough one to call, but I go Douglas because otherwise your tournament becomes a little face heavy, and you've gone for all face vs heel matches so far. I very much doubt it would be a clean win, maybe it will be the start of a feud for Flair?

Konnan (Heel) V. Scott Steiner (Face)

Again, a hard one to call, but we need more heels in the second round.

Shawn Stasiak (Heel) V. Hugh Moris (Face)

Is it weird that I always liked Stasiak...well maybe not when he was called meat...

I’m going to go ahead and put the roster and champions on here I was going to earlier but forgot this is the pushes after the first Nitro. And thanks for the picks and feed back I was going to ask about the writing style but it looks like it’s liked so far.

Main Event Faces

DDP

Goldberg

Hulk Hogan

Ric Flair

Scott Steiner

Sting

Main Event Heels

Kevin Nash

Jeff Jarrett

Mike Awesome

Rick Steiner

Shane Douglas

Chris Kanyon

Upper Midcard Faces

Booker T

Brain Adams

Bryan Clark

Hugh Morris

Terry Funk

Upper Midcard Heels

Billy Kidman

Konnan

Rey Mysterio Jr.

Shawn Stasiak

Tank Abbot

The Cat

Vampiro

Midcard Faces

Lance Storm

Lt. Loco

Norman Smiley

The Wall

Midcard Heels

Bam Bam Bigelow

Big Vito

Chris Candido

Chuck Palumbo

Disqo

Johnny The Bull

Juventud Guerrera

Lower Midcard faces

Corporal Cajun

Crowbar

Kaz Hayashi

Major Stash

The Demon

Lower Midcard Heels

Berlyn

Mike Jones

Openers/ET Faces and Heels

Jamie-San

Jerry Flynn

Johnny Swinger

Lenny Lane

Mark Jindrak

Sean O’Haire

Brad Armstrong

Skip Over

Steve Armstrong

Yang

WCW World Heavyweight Champion

Jeff Jarrett 0 defenses

WCW US Title

Scott Steiner 0 defenses

WCW Cruiserweight title

Vacant striped from Daffney as she is not right to hold the title.

WCW Tag Team Champions

Chuck Palumbo and Shawn Stasiak 0 defenses

We open the show with Hulk Hogan making his way to the ring.

• Hogan calls out Awesome saying that what he did on Monday was not going to go unnoticed just because of Hogan advancing in the tournament.

• Mike Awesome walks on to the ramp he said that his action were perfectly explainable, he goes on to say that he did it because Hogan is to old to be in the wrestling business and that he will end his career.

• Hogan tells Awesome he’ll have to find out first hand what an angry Hulkster can do but that will have to wait until after he is the World Champion.

Rating: 85

MT: Welcome to WCW Thunder I’m Mike Tenay here with Larry Zbyszko, and Larry tonight we have the second set of first round matches of the Summer Blast Chase to the World Championship tournament and Larry Hogan’s not too happy with Awesome right now.

LZ: But Awesome is right Mike the guys has to be in his sixties, and has no part in the World title chase.

MT: But he is a legend and the fans love him and he is not in his sixties. Anyway lets go down to the ring for the first match up tonight.

Scott Steiner Beat Konnan

• Konnan started off fast and controlled the first three minutes of the match with what could be called a ground-n-pound style

• Steiner gains control when Konnan goes to the middle rope and misses a fist drop, Steiner then works on the lower back area of Konnan

• Steiner still in control when he locks in the Steiner Recliner after Konnan had been hit with a spinning back breaker and Konnan taps.

Rating: 70

Commercial

MT: Welcome back and as you saw before the break Scott Steiner advances into the second round of the tournament and as we told on Monday Nitro the matches for the second round will be announced on WCW Saturday Night this Saturday.

LZ: And it is shaping up to be real good and backstage we have Mean Gene with Ric Flair.

We cut to Mean Gene standing with Ric Flair backstage

• Flair says that tonight’s match is about more than returning into the WCW World title race its about getting revenge on a man who has always lacked respect.

• Gene asks Flair what he means by that and Flair explains that around eight years ago when Douglas was just getting started in a hell hole in Philadelphia in a company that is everything but dead now Douglas held the NWA title and showed no respect by throwing the title on the ground.

• Flair then goes on to say that Douglas knew he couldn’t leave up to the names that had held that belt and that’s why he did it, and Flairs ends by saying that, he saw it happen to the NWA World Championship and he will not let it happen to the WCW World Championship WOOOOO.

Rating: 80

Shane Douglas Beat Ric Flair

• Flair and Douglas and start the match off by both men throw fists and brawling in the ring both men really look like they hate each other.

• Flair gains advantage when he thumbs Douglas in the eye Flair the demonstrates his technical ability while working on Douglas.

• Flair loses control when he see’s Arn Anderson walk out onto the ramp Douglas sneaks behind Flair and rolls him up for the three count. Arn then has a smirk on his face and walks back to the back.

Rating: 75

MT: What the hell was that about? Arn just cause Flair the match.

LZ: Now wait a minute he just came out to watch his buddy wrestle but Flair got distracted.

MT: Whatever Larry.

Commercial

Sting is shown backstage

• He talks about the match Vampiro tonight he says that he will be victorious and say that Vampiro has no show at winning.

• Vampiro shows up in the shot and tell Sting that he is wrong and the tonight its not Showtime! It’s My Time!

• Then a fight starts but is broken up \by officials before anything can go too far.

Rating: 72

Shawn Stasiak Beat Hugh Morris

• Stasiak controls the match from the begging and is dominating Morris with power moves and keeping Morris off his game

• Stasiak ends it quite early when he hit’s a fisherman suplex off of the middle rope and pins Morris for the three count.

Rating: 62

MT: WOW Stasiak won that match with ease and Morris is nothing to laugh at.

LZ: The kid looked good out their I’ll give him that.

Jeff Jarrett makes his way to the ring with a mic in hand

• Jarrett says that he has been watching the matches that have been in the tournament so far and all he sees is a bunch of unworthy slap nuts that could never beat him.

• He then touch on how he is the chosen one and that the men in charge have assured him that there is no way he could lose the title.

• Right when he says this Vince Russo comes out to the ring.

• He says that he might have said that to Jeff at one point but after a change in hart and seeing were WCW was going he is not backing Jeff any more.

Rating: 83

Commercial

Sting Beat Vampiro

• Vampiro attacked Sting during Stings entrance and brawls with him around the ring until Vampiro rolls Sting into the ring as the match starts.

• Vampiro dominates the first three minutes of the match and works on the arm of Sting that he had attacked before the match.

• Sting fights back and uses his chain wrestling to take Vampiro out of control

• Sting wins when Vampiro goes for a super kick and Sting grabs the leg and turns it into the Scorpion Death Lock and Vampiro taps

Rating: 72

Final Rating: 73

Big Vito Beat Bryan Adams

Crowbar beat Jamie-San

Kaz Hayashi Lost To Rey Mysterio Jr

The second Round Matches Announced

Scott Steiner (Face) V. Shane Douglas (Heel)

Shawn Stasiak (Heel) V. Sting (Face)

Hulk Hogan (Face) V. Billy Kidman (Heel)

Goldberg (Face) V. DDP (Face)

(You can make picks now these are the Nitro Matches Also the B shows will always be written like that I feel it decreases the change of burn out)

Archived