Hey All,

I was wondering what the oddest owner goals were that you have experienced, or in your opinion the most pointless.

Me personally is being a Global or International fed and not being able to sign anyone who works above Cult level. Why would that ever be a realistic rule? You wouldn't see McMahon saying that a decent named worker can't be signed, or Ted Turner/Eric Bischoff or Dixie Carter.

Anyone else have any random ones they can't fathom?

Cheers

Fox

Jay Chord told me I couldn't hire any gay or bisexual workers directly after he took over for for Rip Chord (when he left the business around 2016). The only reason it pissed me off is because I couldn't hire Rocky (Sylvester) Weatherfield until the goal completed. He's been with us since the goal completed and SWF was dumb enough not to re-sign him (around 2018).

It's 2022 and the guy is going to carry my promotion into the late 2020's and beyond. I don't give a crap if he's confused about his sexual orientation. :o

At the same time he told me that I couldn't let Mean Jean Cattley's momentum get above a really low point (an E- or something). The guy who was going to help mold the young wrestlers and BAM! Due to a negative backstage incident between the two I had to job The Mean Machine character down the drain and wasn't able to re-sign him when his contract ran up. Yep... I was very pleased with Jay Chord that year. :rolleyes:

I was running a no angle performance based promotion, and Larry told me I could only hire people with a 36 charisma, or better. (Larry's a sweet guy, he says things to the positive, not the negative.) Which meant that I had to say good-bye to Nigel Svensson, when he came in to discuss his contract.

Why would that ever be a realistic rule? You wouldn't see McMahon saying that a decent named worker can't be signed.

Oh, where to start... Nah, I'm gonna leave it, it's too easy. But really, think about it. McMahon has virtually never signed anyone from a promotion of Cult level or above. Except for WCW, with whom they were at war at the time. Vince HATES pushing guys he didn't make himself. Just look at the InVasion angle, pretty much everyone on the Alliance side was buried so hard they had to turn WWE guys to make them look at all threatening. If you need ANY proof at all, just look at Team Alliance from Survivor Series 2001: Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, Shane McMahon, RVD and Booker T. MORE THAN HALF of the "invading" team was made up of WWE stars and VINCE'S OWN SON.

The only guys who came from a major competitor and found success in the WWE were (two of) the Radicalz and Chris Jericho (and look how well Jericho's first title run went...). All of whom came from WCW. All of whom came during the Monday Night Wars, and all of whom came in as midcarders (though that's arguable in Jericho's case, due to the momentum his debut created for him).

As far as I know, if you're in a war and you get that goal, stealing talent from your rival(s) is still perfectly fair game. If I'm wrong about that, then yeah, I can see how that could suck.

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but the only TNA guy Vince has signed lately (other than R-Truth, who was a WWE guy in the first place) is Lance Hoyt, who was released anyway and went to AJPW, so technically wasn't actually 'stolen'. A case could probably be made for Punk being "a TNA guy", technically he'd quit TNA a few months prior because TNA didn't want him to work for RoH due to the Feinstein thing. Again, willing to be proven wrong on that.

My basic point is, it's perfectly reasonable for your owner to want you to create your own stars, rather than signing them from the competition. For a start, it's a damn sight cheaper. Just because Dixie Carter does it (though she does it a lot less than you'd be led to believe by reading threads like this... the vast majority are WWE releases, not actually signed FROM the WWE. Kurt and Christian being two prominent cases of the latter... possibly RVD, but wasn't he fired?).

It sucks when you get that goal, but the whole point of owner goals is to make things more challenging. It's perfectly realistic your owner to say "Hey, stop wasting all my damn money on these big-money signings of established stars and make some of our own, that's what I pay you for!".

I think the most pointless owner goal I've ever been given is "can't sign anyone with less than D- stamina". What a shame, my epic Giant Redwood vs. Dusty Bin feud will have to be shelved. ¬_¬

I also got a "Can't sign any psychopaths" rule... in CZCW. There are six in the entire world. 2 are nearly 40 and another is 38. All six have a combined 'flying skills' average of 72, and that's including Brimstone who has 44 by himself. That's equal to Snap Dragon, Cougar and Skye... independently. Without Brimstone it's 28. The only active workers on my default roster who can't beat that by themselves are Al Coleman, who's a technician, and Jake Idol, who sucks.

So, yeah. I have to ask myself: "Would I really want to anyway?". Sorta like banning a guy who lives in an igloo from buying an electric fire.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but the only TNA guy Vince has signed lately (other than R-Truth, who was a WWE guy in the first place) is Lance Hoyt, who was released anyway and went to AJPW, so technically wasn't actually 'stolen'. A case could probably be made for Punk being "a TNA guy", technically he'd quit TNA a few months prior because TNA didn't want him to work for RoH due to the Feinstein thing. Again, willing to be proven wrong on that.

hmm well, let's see low-ki was signed from tna as was chris harris, you can argue roh is cult therefore bryan danielson, and tyler black. Lance hoyt was not fired he is vance archer currently teaming with curt hawkings on smackdown and superstars

hmm well, let's see low-ki was signed from tna as was chris harris, you can argue roh is cult therefore bryan danielson, and tyler black. Lance hoyt was not fired he is vance archer currently teaming with curt hawkings on smackdown and superstars

Low Ki left TNA months before he signed for WWE. Chris Harris left TNA about 2 weeks before signing for WWE. RoH isn't close to being cult, so RoH guys don't count.

You're right about Lance Hoyt, though. People should read Vance Archer's WWE.com profile page, if only for the amusing dig at TNA.

Lance hoyt was not fired he is vance archer currently teaming with curt hawkings on smackdown and superstars

N, no. D wasn't saying that Lance had been released from WWE, he was saying that he had been released from TNA, then WWE signed him.

It's acutally incredibly easy to justify the goal when compared to the real world (and remember, you are still allowed to make these signings as long as you keep your boss happy). However, there is a difference in the Cornellverse where there are actually more Cult+ promotions (5 in North America) compared to real life (where there is 2), which makes the restriction harder in the Cornellverse.

Archived