Civilization V

Comradebot

Anyone else pick this up yet? Freaking amazing game, combat is the best in the franchise's history.

Started my first game using Germany, already figured out how wickedly overpowered their special ability is. Basically, everytime you defeat a group of barbarians in their own encampment, the Germans have a 50% chance of recruiting them to their side.

Meaning, when the jerkface trio of the Aztecs, Siam, and Florence (a city-state) all came after me, I was prepared. Basic strategy was to isolate Florence by blockading both of the narrow entrances (preventing them from sending any troops anywhere close to my territory) into the valley its in and very, very, very slowly seige the damn thing. Careful troop movement lead to me avoiding losing any units permanently in the process, while a few extra guys aided my only allies (the good folks of Helsinki) by taking apart the Siamese military.

Unable to get any aid, Florence fell... with my full military might bearing down on them, utterly decimating what military forces they had left, they quickly surrendered (along with handing over a couple of cities).

Never even saw the Aztecs. Guess Montezuma just wanted to be a dick.

Anyone else pick this up yet? Freaking amazing game, combat is the best in the franchise's history.

Started my first game using Germany, already figured out how wickedly overpowered their special ability is. Basically, everytime you defeat a group of barbarians in their own encampment, the Germans have a 50% chance of recruiting them to their side.

Meaning, when the jerkface trio of the Aztecs, Siam, and Florence (a city-state) all came after me, I was prepared. Basic strategy was to isolate Florence by blockading both of the narrow entrances (preventing them from sending any troops anywhere close to my territory) into the valley its in and very, very, very slowly seige the damn thing. Careful troop movement lead to me avoiding losing any units permanently in the process, while a few extra guys aided my only allies (the good folks of Helsinki) by taking apart the Siamese military.

Unable to get any aid, Florence fell... with my full military might bearing down on them, utterly decimating what military forces they had left, they quickly surrendered (along with handing over a couple of cities).

Never even saw the Aztecs. Guess Montezuma just wanted to be a dick.

Yeah Montezuma usually has been a jerk to me in past games.

I did not even know that there was a Civilization V. I would love to get it but my computer probably would not support it. Anyway, sounds like a great game!

I was going to start this thread last night. I picked up the game this afternoon and just played the silly Settler-level duel tutorial game. Having played Civ III, IV, and CivRev, I knew what to do.

They actually seemed to have taken CivRev and Civ IV and smashed them together.

The policies are brand new. Each game has made the idea of governments and ruling structures more loose and I like how they have it set up now. It's like they implemented spec trees from RPG style games.

I normally hate it when games remove particularly cumbersome features (even if they were sort of broken) because it suddenly feels empty, but I don't miss specific religions or espionage. Espionage had such a large number of buildings and features attached to it in BtS and it was fairly useless to actively indulge in.

Religion, on the other hand, could be completely dominating for the first half of the game and completely transparent for the second half. God forbid not having a religion early in the game as it'd destroy you financially. If you got a religious wonder, you were set gold wise for eternity (+1 gold for EVERY city in the WORLD with the given religion, friend or foe? There's one for EVERY religion and they stack linearly? Wut?)

I also don't miss the gold/science/culture sliders. They were really unrealistic and really had nothing to do with strategy. Pretty much everyone left science at the max allowed without a loss and pushed it up if they really needed a tech or down if they wanted to upgrade or rush with gold. When in history did anyone think "If we make sure to not even accidentally make any scientific discovers in the future, we'll be rich!"?

All in all, no complaints yet. The combat is actually tactical and not "Let's send 12 catapults and 15 macemen at Delhi and hope for the best." Also, I wanted ranged combat for years and now it's in and works. I haven't really tested it, but it seems like naval units and sieged units can actually kill stuff now too!

My comp can't play Civ V. :(

I thought espionage had some benefits, even if I usually avoided building the Great Wall because Great Profits (how it should be spelled for that game) and Engineers were just so much more valuable. Having a spy cause a city revolt when your stack was ready allowed your siege weapons to skip the bombardment and get to the collateral damage.

Founding a religion really was a big advantage... Almost to the point it was silly to have certain Civs starting with Mysticm and able to get one right off the bat while others had to get a tech lead or Oracle to Code of Laws/Theology to reap those benefits.

Civ V does look pretty nice though, sad I'm going to miss the boat on it.

My comp can't play Civ V. :(

It runs on a surprising number of computers. I know my previous one would probably not run it even though it ran IV well, but if you were to buy a brand new computer to run the game fairly well from scratch, it'd cost you from $450-550. Now, I'm not saying "It's no big deal, just go buy an entire new system for hundreds of dollars", I'm just saying it doesn't need too much.

What are your specs? If your computer is less than 3 years old, you might actually be ok (unless you're certain it won't work or if you already tried and failed). If it's older than 5, it might just flat-out die soon enough and you'll be forced to get something new! :p (Or be forced to not have a comp... :()

I thought espionage had some benefits, even if I usually avoided building the Great Wall because Great Profits (how it should be spelled for that game) and Engineers were just so much more valuable. Having a spy cause a city revolt when your stack was ready allowed your siege weapons to skip the bombardment and get to the collateral damage.

I used spies mostly to convert culture and get cities without war. I liked to be a big culture amoeba. (In fact, we'd have to turn cultural victory off when I'd play with friends because I'd win every game by culture at some point near the turn of the 1900's.)

Founding a religion really was a big advantage... Almost to the point it was silly to have certain Civs starting with Mysticm and able to get one right off the bat while others had to get a tech lead or Oracle to Code of Laws/Theology to reap those benefits.

Now, everyone starts with agriculture and that branches into about 4 techs you can research at the start. It fixes problems like the one you mentioned and also gets rid of the question of how civilizations without agriculture, fishing, or hunting could have possibly survived... :D

The last Civ game I bought was Civ III, which I love. I doubt that my 5 year old computer would run Civ 5.

Anyway, if the game is 3D I'm not interested. I don't think 3D adds anything to a Civ-type game. I bought Caesar 4, which is 3D, and it was horrible. A real system-hog. Difficult to place any structures accurately. Difficult to scroll. Give me Civ III or Alpha Centauri any day.

Other news:

Greece is bad ass. Hoplites and Companion Cavalry aren't even fair. I have a multiplayer game from last night saved where I took over Arabia (the highest scoring AI Civ) without resistance almost immediately from a couple of hoplites/cavalry. I'm also surrounded by 5 (FIVE!) city states (AFTER I destroyed a hostile one that one of the others asked me to destroy). Two of them are friendly and militaristic, so allied with them, every few turns I get free units. Keep in mind, I'm Greece. City states and Greece go well together.

Montezuma is still an aggressive and irresponsible idiot. Same with Napoleon, as always. When Genghis Kahn gets put in an expansion, I'm sure he'll be the same.

Liberty is a great policy tree. I also like the Mandate of Heaven policy under Piety.

The last Civ game I bought was Civ III, which I love. I doubt that my 5 year old computer would run Civ 5.

Anyway, if the game is 3D I'm not interested. I don't think 3D adds anything to a Civ-type game. I bought Caesar 4, which is 3D, and it was horrible. A real system-hog. Difficult to place any structures accurately. Difficult to scroll. Give me Civ III or Alpha Centauri any day.

I didn't like the Civ IV graphics compared to III initially (same with Age of Empires 2 > Age of Mythology), but they don't have any effect on gameplay, it just looks different.

It's still fixed isometric view like all Civ games. I'm struggling to think of how it would be difficult to scroll or click locations when stuff is just rendered differently...? There's no functional difference.

If your computer is a dinosaur and simply can't run the game, then maybe... :p

Civ 2 is where its at..

Ive played 3 and 4 but never got into them as much as I did 2... ive bought 5 for my brother for his birthday.. so will no doubt steal it and give it a whirl at some stage..

ive got EU3 to keep me going in the mean time..

Unfortunately, Civ V requires Steam to play and once the game is installed, it's permanently linked to the Steam account that licensed it.

You'd have to have Steam and borrow his account if you want to play with his disc.

Unfortunately, Civ V requires Steam to play and once the game is installed, it's permanently linked to the Steam account that licensed it.

You'd have to have Steam and borrow his account if you want to play with his disc.

yeah, that was my plan.. hes out travelling for 5 months next Feb.. so steal away I shall..

Been playing the past few days. I was not good at 3 or 4 but I always feel like I'm gonna like it. I like the switch to hexes, and I've found that the "strategic view" (I think? The one where it's just a flat map) is a lot more fun to use. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of trying to figure out if Singapore has a mine for Iron or Silver and how much should I kill them for it.

Hexagons are awesome, game has become so much more tactical.

UI is horrible, seems like the interface was designed for the XBox 360.

I prefer the interface. Any information you want is available whenever you want and actually on the screen automatically when it matters in the slightest. I like how you can choose what to show in the top left and how you can collapse and expand menus and so on.

I much liked Civ Rev myself, actually. A game doesn't have to look like it does your taxes to be in-depth. :p

I like the interface in a lot of ways. The only things I don't like: There seems to be a bug where, if I end my turn on an attack, it will make me manually switch to the "next" unit before it lets me end my turn; Often when I'm trying to select a newly produced unit, I'll have someone garrisonning the city. For some reason it will un-garrison that unit instead of selecting the new one.

Archived