RIP Mike Shaw

angeldelayette

I just read up on a couple of different places that former professional wrestler Mike Shaw passed away on 9/11/10. This is a man that wrestling fans will remember as being Norman The Lunatic, Makhan Singh, Friar Ferguson, Bastion Booger, among other names within the wrestling industry. It appears he died of a heart attack. Rest in peace and enjoy spending your days and nights with the other fallen brothers in that big ring in the sky.

Awww, not the Bastion Booger...

I'll never forget the match he lost to Doink, because Dink distracted him by throwing... I think it was a loaf of bread? into the ring... causing Bastion to focus on devouring the tasty treat while Doink prepared to strike...

That said, this is kinda old news. He died two weeks ago, guess just no one reported it in the Dog Pound until now.

I was surprised to hear he was only 53. I remember HATING Makhan Singh, easily his best gimmick and run, when he was the Monster Heel in Stampede Wrestling. His feud with a young, baby-faced Owen Hart made for some fantastic television.

I always smiled when I saw him appear. No matter how horrific the gimmick. He seemed to embrace the over-the-top nature of pro-wrestling.

Oh man, El Gigante AND Bastion Booger gone? This just keeps getting worse.

There are litterally thousands of Pro-Wrestler's around... Much more then Ex Pro-Football players, or Ex Pro-Baseball players.... Probably about twice as much as both of those sports combined.

Your going to see at least a dozen deaths or more a year that had something to do with wrestling. I imagine that number will increase as they get older and older.

I heard about this in passing about a week ago. I was channel surfing on my Sirius radio and happened to stop on the Busted Open show while they mentioned Shaw's passing. I always loved this guy and felt he was under-rated for a big man. It hurt to think I would hear in such an accidental fashion about him passing on. Whether it was as Norman, Makhan Singh or even some of the Bastian Booger stuff, I loved watching Shaw. He really made his characters believeable and he could put on pretty decent matches when the gimmick would permit it.

You know call me crazy but I so wish there were a way we could have seen face Norman and face Abyss as a tag team. Mike and Chris would have played so well off each other. Heck, part of me wonders if we'd have even seen face Abyss without Norman there to pave the way.

RIP, Mike. Long may your work show the way for the big men who come behind you.

Archived