EA MMA for XBOX 360 and Playstation 3, demo out now!

Daffanka

The demo of EA MMA is out. It's not very good.

Every fighter spams takedowns, striking is really unwieldy (at least with the stick, I'll try with the alternate control scheme later) and impossible because the CPU shoots takedowns all the time, the ground game is all right but a bit simple and ground and pound looks awful. Also the animations are pretty bad.

At least that's my take on it. Feel free to disagree.

The demo of EA MMA is out. It's not very good.

Every fighter spams takedowns, striking is really unwieldy (at least with the stick, I'll try with the alternate control scheme later) and impossible because the CPU shoots takedowns all the time, the ground game is all right but a bit simple and ground and pound looks awful. Also the animations are pretty bad.

At least that's my take on it. Feel free to disagree.

As someone who has absolutely no use whatsoever for an Xbox Live membership, I won't be able to play the demo. Do they make the demos available for non-members at any point?

I just played the EA MMA demo (PS3) for a couple hours. I'm not exactly sure how to react to it. It is a demo, so I'm assuming EA chose to only include the bare minimum content to give you a taste of the gameplay while keeping the download size as small as possible. There is no commentary included and all the fighters seem to have the same basic moves.

Some observations:

• Transitioning between screens seems awkward, sluggish. Watch the fighter walk-ins and the intro announcing, the flow seems off.
  • Round highlights seemed to show the same highlight from 3 camera angles, and it was always a takedown, usually the last one in the round. Only time I got strikes in a highlight was from a KO/TKO. Much better if they showed a few different highlights from the round from each fighter.
  • Judge scoring is ridiculous like Undisputed 2010. I went to decision twice, and I won each time 30-22 and 30-23. Seriously? A 10-8 round is very rare in MMA, and I've never heard of a 10-7 round. The first time I got to a decision I thought it would be close because I was taken down a lot (14 times by Shields), but I managed to win 30-22. Apparently throwing a ton of punches from the bottom showed my complete dominance, ha.
  • My punches from the bottom caused my opponent's head stat to deplete, yet you can't finish him while he's on top of you.
  • Knocking an opponent down, you can go in for punches to finish, but no option to throw on a submission.
  • Visually the game looks good. Fighters look pretty realistic and the cage looks good. The blood and damage effects look good too.
  • The controls worked nice once you practice them awhile. Even after a couple hours I still find myself trying to throw punches like FNR4 or grapple like UFC2010, ha. Controls are so simple and fluid really and make punch-kick combos look and feel good, and a lot easier to pull off than UFC2010.
  • Grappling by the cage causes the fighters to slide away from the cage. I know this was done to avoid fighter-cage clipping, but looks silly.
  • In MMA 101, the intro shows camera from Miller's corner, clipping with the ropes. Rather silly mistake by EA, just move camera back and up to avoid this.
  • MMA 101 is a bad tutorial. It doesn't direct you through set-by-set doing moves to learn the controls. Its just an exhibition match with pop-ups telling you what to do when you get into different situations. For example, it'll say you can punch and shows a few different Right Stick movements, then leaves you to remember and try them against an opponent that will fight you. Better if your AI opponent didn't fight back so you could at least try things without getting taken down. Also better I think if they showed you a move, you did it, then showed another move, etc. Eventually I spent a round without anymore pop-ups because I didn't find myself in any unknown situation yet, so you won't learn anything unless you or the AI get into a position first.

Overall I think it can be a better game than UFC 2010, which really disappointed me. EA MMA has better graphics in my opinion and I like the simple and fluid control scheme more. Also EA MMA sounds like it will have a better Career Mode, Online Mode and customizing/downloading fighters. I got it pre-ordered and hope the final product is better than the demo.

Hmm, played it for a bit, both the Heavyweight, and Middleweight fights. I like it.

Submissions in this game are ridiculously simple to pull off where as in UFC2010 I still have yet to sink one in. Everyone does seem to have a basic move set, but I did manage to throw a flying knee with miller.

I'll buy it, see what happens with the career mode which essentially sounds the same to the UFC version, only while you stick to your gym, and learn moves through fight camps, this one you travel around.

I don't really know if I like it or not yet. I think the game moves too unrealistically fast and you're not really given time to do anything. It all feels like reaction, reaction, reaction so far. The AI is terrible right now. I'm not a fan of the striking controls. I think they should have just made it up for head strikes, straight for body strikes, and down for low strikes. I don't think this game has any big screw ups, just a lot of little ones. And they are annoying ones.

I think they should have just made it up for head strikes, straight for body strikes, and down for low strikes.

Yea, that is how total punch control worked in Fight Night Round 4. Direction of stick movement threw a punch in that direction, so down for body shots. I thought EA would keep this, and utilize it for kicks (hold L2 for kicks, then up for head, straight for body and down for legs). Sadly they didn't.

Anyone know how to throw a kick to the body anyway? I'm gotten head kicks and leg kicks, and even a push kick to the body, but no regular kick to the ribs.

Also, how do you get out of a clinch? I get stuck and have to do a takedown and then back out of that to me feet. Please tell me they didn't forget a way out of the clinch, ha.

Ok, nevermind, just watched the youtube video EA posted about controls. I really hate having to hold R1 just to throw a body shot. Seems overly complicated when flicking down on R3 would have been easier and quicker. Admitedly, I'm 95% PC gamer, so my hands aren't exactly comfortable at controller useage and takes me awhile to get used to what each does without thinking about it.

This demo is god awful.

What is up with EA lately? between the lackluster improvements to Madden, the epic failure of NBA elite and this tripe, i'm begining to think the're falling off the sports game wagon.

I mean, they've never been much of an innovator in the market, but you've been able to expect their game to be fairly playable and professional.

Hasen't been the case the last few years. Lot of duds in the sports game market...although to be fair NHL and FIFA are still good.

This demo is god awful.

What is up with EA lately? between the lackluster improvements to Madden, the epic failure of NBA elite and this tripe, i'm begining to think the're falling off the sports game wagon.

I mean, they've never been much of an innovator in the market, but you've been able to expect their game to be fairly playable and professional.

Hasen't been the case the last few years. Lot of duds in the sports game market...although to be fair NHL and FIFA are still good.

Dont forget Battlefield. LOVE THAT GAME!!!

This demo is god awful.

I agree. NHL and FIFA have been spot on for me. Madden has gotten boring. Mainly because I like College football more, but yeah. EA hasn't done anything too great lately. And not to mention, there has been trouble with their servers lately I hear.

As someone who has absolutely no use whatsoever for an Xbox Live membership, I won't be able to play the demo. Do they make the demos available for non-members at any point?

As someone who wants to play a demo, you have a use for Xbox Live Membership. Just not Gold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>Still not out here. Gotta wait till Friday morning, but luckily my apartment is right in the city centre and 30 seconds from both Game and Gamestation. Looks like I'll be waiting outside the front door with a Starbucks at 9am :-p </p><p> </p><p>

Not sure what to do about pre-order content...here in the UK we only have the option of Big John at Game or 'Classic' Frank Shamrock at Gamestation. Got it pre-ordered at both places, but will probably go for Frank, even though it's essentially a double of someone who's already in the game. </p><p> </p><p>

You guys in the US got 'Classic' Randy and Herschel Walker too, right? </p><p> </p><p>

Fingers crossed for some DLC.</p>

All the positive reviews have me rethinking my stance. Maybe it was just a case of a lousy demo...the the thing I noticed most was that the fighters felt...I guess too "light" would be the way to describe. Like there wasn't enough weight behind all of my movements, even walking. Guys were too floaty. Any thoughts on that?

You can unlock CLASSIC RANDY in the demo by spamming your friends with stupid messages about how they should try the demo. The thing is that the game doesn't check if you confirm to send, so I just pretended to send invites to ten friends and unlocked my CLASSIC RANDY.

All the positive reviews have me rethinking my stance. Maybe it was just a case of a lousy demo...the the thing I noticed most was that the fighters felt...I guess too "light" would be the way to describe. Like there wasn't enough weight behind all of my movements, even walking. Guys were too floaty. Any thoughts on that?

If you didn't like the demo I can't imagine you liking the full game, because apparently it's more of the same. Which is a shame because I think I'd really dig the career mode but I can't get over the huge ring, running across it in two seconds, the awful movement animations, the bad bad ground game, horrible looking ground and pound, AI shooting or clinching 24/7, the dreadful presentation etc.

I like the striking engine though! They should tighten it up (a lot) and make a kickboxing game.

You can unlock CLASSIC RANDY in the demo by spamming your friends with stupid messages about how they should try the demo. The thing is that the game doesn't check if you confirm to send, so I just pretended to send invites to ten friends and unlocked my CLASSIC RANDY.

Ah cool. I don't have any xbox live friends, is the problem here, as I never play games online. I shall have to start facebook-spamming people for their xbox accounts and then spamming them messages to get my Randy love on.

What *is* 'Classic' Couture anyway? 42? 44? :-p

If you didn't like the demo I can't imagine you liking the full game, because apparently it's more of the same.

See I've heard that, but I've also heard different. I think EA said that Lashley/Shields were the two best wrestlers in the game, so the takedown spamming by the AI was intentional, as that's pretty much how they fight. I tried Reem vs Reem in the demo and it wasn't so bad. Maybe I got lucky though.

Also heard somewhere that the demo was a build from May or something and that the finished game 'feels' much better. Obviously not tried it myself though, so I have no idea :-p

I like the striking engine though! They should tighten it up (a lot) and make a kickboxing game.

EA K-1/MAX coming to a console near you 2011/12....seriously ;-)

Archived