Crappy Fueds - How do you stick with them?

I have a problem where I always start lower level fueds and then I shy away from them because of the obvious low grades, I have deleted all my old games and have started an USPW one. I have one low fued going on now, I'm only in the middle of February but I am going to cancel that one because the lack of grade. I have this fued I am setting up right now but I know the grades are going to be BAD!

This might be in terms of grades, the worst fued of all time. My question to you guys is how do I keep this going without it killing my show? How do I get the guys over enough that the show can live with the fued?

Now here is the fued!

After taking a loss and being left off a card Nicky Champion was pretty mad at me so I decided to bring in his old buddy and ex co-worker Happy Elwood. Since the only reason Elwood was brought in was to keep Champion from getting super angry I decided that I would tag them (they are yet to team).

The Hillbillys are the only members of my roster who have never been used since day one. I like them, I'd love to see them in real life but in game terms they just flat out suck. There is an abudance of face teams in USPW at the start of the game so I decided to turn them heel. I did this when they attacked The American Dream (Ford Snow and Chevy Rayne(Rayne Man and Ford Gumble)) at my last show.

So I am going to make the fued where The Union (Champion and Elwood) come out and call The Hillbillys traitors and UnAmerican challanging them to matches where the Hillbillys (hmmm I might have to rename them? Didn't think of that) dodge The Union and refuse to fight them. Al and Pete will cost The Union matches, steal their American Flags and do things of that nature before the two teams finally meet in the squared circle.

The question to you my friends, is how do I make this happen with out it being a total diaster?

If I can make this work with your help I'd love to set up a length fued between my tag champions Giant Redwood and Larry Vessey and The Union.

Ah, a fun conundrum. Such "crap" feuds can be fun, but they can also be tough to make work well in terms of grades.

The first option is a B show. Such feuds are ideal for a B show where they can't do any damage. However, I'm guessing that's quite obvious and probably not an option.

The second option is to expand the scope of the feud a bit. You can protect the match grades a bit by doing things like overbooking, protecting the Hillbillies, etc. But for angles, you could simply expand the scope of the feud a bit. Add some talent who can carry things a bit. Whether that means using current talent or bringing new workers. Either team could benefit from having a mouthpiece manager or a sexy valet, who's skills can be a primary focus of the angles. The Hillbillies could bring in inbred Cousin Otis (anyone with good Menace), who attacks The Union constantly. Menace based angles equal gold and the "cousin" would get over in a hurry....

Exactly what BP said. If you have a "crappy" feud going it doesn't have to stay that way. You ever have somebody talented on your roster but they were bland or boring or you coudln't find the right feud for them? Or maybe somebody in the "free agent" pool and you thought "man that guy would be fun but I don't have room/ an idea for him"?

This is what this situation was made for. Bring in talent from outside the company or push one of the guys you have in your company as part of the crappy feud. He aligns himself with one team or another. Whether his talent is more overness than the rest, or menace or some sort of in ring skill he will help pull up the grades of the entire feud.

Exactly what BP said. If you have a "crappy" feud going it doesn't have to stay that way. You ever have somebody talented on your roster but they were bland or boring or you coudln't find the right feud for them? Or maybe somebody in the "free agent" pool and you thought "man that guy would be fun but I don't have room/ an idea for him"?

This is what this situation was made for. Bring in talent from outside the company or push one of the guys you have in your company as part of the crappy feud. He aligns himself with one team or another. Whether his talent is more overness than the rest, or menace or some sort of in ring skill he will help pull up the grades of the entire feud.

This screams Steve Frehley...I can't ever find anything for this poor chap

I don't even want to think about Steve Frehley! That dude pisses me off, I mean he always does so horrible in every match that I put him in.

He can be good if you put him in matches with the right people, like Rich Money, Remo, Angry Gilmore, Christian Faith, Jack Bruce and Lobster Warrior. That is my experience with him anyways.

Hmm, I'm confused.

You're lamenting low card feuds getting low grades, why? I don't think that low card feuds getting low grades necessarily makes them "crappy". I'd be pretty concerned if low card programs got high ratings (without help).

Easiest way to "fluff" low card storylines is to cross them over with programs higher up the card. Maybe one of the main eventers uses the Hillbillies against his nemesis (as either a speedbump or to "take him out"). As long as both members of the team are in the angle (and they're actually both in the same storyline with Champion & Elwood), the storyline benefits from the rub. If the ratings are that aberrant to you, put 'em in the dark. Also, they don't have to be featured in every show.

And if you change the Hillbillies name, I'd recommend 'Red State Rampage' with a Hart Attack-esque finisher named 'Hillbilly Hangover' (basically a clothesline/spinebuster type maneuver. No jumping for the Hillbillies, after all). Give them Confederate flags and you have a natural rivalry.

Temper your expectations. You'll always be frustrated if you expect gold results from tin workers. That's some alchemical magic right there. It seems like you're trying to build one team to go up against another. That's doable but it's not going to happen overnight and there are going to be growing pains. Plant seeds by having the Union go up against Redwood and Vessey and have the Hillbillies interfere and then the four heels beat the holy hell out of the faces (with the option of having someone higher on the card come out to make the (late) save). That creates a beef between the Union and Redwood & Vessey that can be revisited later on. It also gives you a reason to have the Union in segments with Redwood & Vessey (fluffing the storyline with the Hillbillies at the same time). You can also use "throwaway" angles to further improve Champion & Elwood (like having them seen backstage talking to Raven & Alicia). Maybe give them one segment per show (either match or angle) and it won't mess with your show rating.

I think with the help of everybody who has posted thus far I have come up with a solution at least for this one particular fued. I would still love opinions on both the original topic and what I am going to say here but here is my plan.

I am going to give the Hillbillys who I am going to rename Red State Rampage (thanks Remianen) be managed by The Guru who also happens to be the manager of T-Rex. Now before the game starts in their fued it states that Justice has beaten Rex once, in game Rex holds a victory over James. So in the next match up I will have T win the rubber match and move on to a title fued with Enygma.

I will cross the fueds into one big unchained storyline. So it will feature Rex, Enygma, Guru, Pete, Al, Happy and Nicky. So it will gain a little heat everytime Rex and Enygma do something. Although now that I'm writing this and thinking it more, the tag fued may actually pull down the rating of the championship fued so I'm just going to try to make this work the good old fashioned way! Two different fueds. Thank you to Big Papa, everyone else so far and I am willing to listen to more advice, I have lots more workers who I can put in low card fueds.

Also I'm not someone who believes that these guys who should be pulling great ratings but someone said to slow down and maybe do one thing a show, I think that may be my problem as I try to have a flow to the storylines which cause to much "crap" being put on.

Also Red State Rampage members have been renamed Alan Hill and Peter Billy. =)

Archived