I have an idea! - Community Project

I was sitting around last night thinking about my next card I'm about to sim. I'm writing a diary of sorts along with it and was planning how to recap the show when I am done. I was thinking of how we usually save our fight text and how cool it would be if we could put that text into a replayer.

If any of you play online poker, you have probably seen the hand replayers used, either by the sites to show you previous hands, or by software that allows you to learn from your previous hands. The idea is that the hand replayer uses the text from the hand that was played and reads it and displays it visually by showing the cards being dealth, the chips bet, etc., just like you would see if you were playing the hand live. I started to wonder... what if we could have a fight replayer that could read the fight text from WMMA and translate it into some sort of visual reproduction of the fight.

Initially, I think this is something that could be worked on as a stand alone mod and then, possibly, down the road lent to Adam to actually incorporate into future editions of the game. Many text based sims use similar graphics. Baseball, for instance, will read the text and display where the ball was hit, where the runners moved, etc. I think we could definitely incorporate this for WMMA.

Basically, what we would need is someone who is good with 3D models. Essentially, we would have a 3D model in a static position that correlates to the text in the game. For instance, the text reads "fighter x with a big right hook". The fight replayer diplays a static image of a figher with right arm ****ed for a right hook. We could possibly even uses a chain of two or three static models in a row to show a takedown, slam, ground-and-pound, etc.

The 3D modeler would only need to make one model (it could just be a wire model that is generically filled in and then have one colored red and the other blue, ie red corner, blue corner). Then just pose that 3D model in each of the positions depicted in the commentary. I would think that creating the 3D model wouldn't be terribly difficult for an experienced modeler. The posing of each position would take time, but also not be too terribly difficult.

Then, we would just need a programmer that could write the code that would read the commentary and then diplay the appropriate 3D model. Essentially, all it would need to do is when it sees "fighter x shoots for the takedown" it takes the 3D model we have associated with that line of commentary and displays it on the screen.

I've seen this happen many times over in the baseball world where someone makes an independent mod and eventually it gets incorporated into the actual game. I think with all of the talented people we have in this community, we could pull this off. Let me know what you guys think and if you can contribute to either of the aspects we need. :D

It sounds like a great idea and I will donate money to the project, but I certainly am not capable of doing it myself :)

That's awesome! Hopefully it won't take much, if any, money. Usually people talented in either of the fields we need usually already have the programs needed to create what we need. We just need them to do the elbow grease, so to speak.

I was sitting around last night thinking about my next card I'm about to sim. I'm writing a diary of sorts along with it and was planning how to recap the show when I am done. I was thinking of how we usually save our fight text and how cool it would be if we could put that text into a replayer.

If any of you play online poker, you have probably seen the hand replayers used, either by the sites to show you previous hands, or by software that allows you to learn from your previous hands. The idea is that the hand replayer uses the text from the hand that was played and reads it and displays it visually by showing the cards being dealt, the chips bet, etc., just like you would see if you were playing the hand live. I started to wonder... what if we could have a fight replayer that could read the fight text from WMMA and translate it into some sort of visual reproduction of the fight.

Initially, I think this is something that could be worked on as a stand alone mod and then, possibly, down the road lent to Adam to actually incorporate into future editions of the game. Many text based sims use similar graphics. Baseball, for instance, will read the text and display where the ball was hit, where the runners moved, etc. I think we could definitely incorporate this for WMMA.

Basically, what we would need is someone who is good with 3D models. Essentially, we would have a 3D model in a static position that correlates to the text in the game. For instance, the text reads "fighter x with a big right hook". The fight replayer diplays a static image of a figher with right arm ****ed for a right hook. We could possibly even uses a chain of two or three static models in a row to show a takedown, slam, ground-and-pound, etc.

The 3D modeler would only need to make one model (it could just be a wire model that is generically filled in and then have one colored red and the other blue, ie red corner, blue corner). Then just pose that 3D model in each of the positions depicted in the commentary. I would think that creating the 3D model wouldn't be terribly difficult for an experienced modeler. The posing of each position would take time, but also not be too terribly difficult.

Then, we would just need a programmer that could write the code that would read the commentary and then diplay the appropriate 3D model. Essentially, all it would need to do is when it sees "fighter x shoots for the takedown" it takes the 3D model we have associated with that line of commentary and displays it on the screen.

I've seen this happen many times over in the baseball world where someone makes an independent mod and eventually it gets incorporated into the actual game. I think with all of the talented people we have in this community, we could pull this off. Let me know what you guys think and if you can contribute to either of the aspects we need. :D

What I'd love to see is an exportable, embeddable version of the commentary itself. This way we could just import the show into our forum posts and it would be playable in embed form. This would make diary writing about 66% less soul-sucking.

I think you have greatly, greatly underestimated how difficult this would be given the challenge of capturing all the nuances of MMA.

However it's funny you mention that because the other night I had a dream that I was playing an WMMA game that had graphics, except instead of 3-D they were 2-D like the popular Fire Pro Wrestling series. It was really great and personally I think even graphics like that associated with the game would be great.

I have to admit I'm no graphic artist and my use of Daz 3D is limited. Maybe it is a little ambitious. However, I don't think they would have to mimic all of the nuances of real MMA. Like I said, even if its just a static pose of a right hook or leg kick, etc. That being said, even a 2D version would be a step in the right direction. Hopefully someone will be willing and able to attempt it. :D

Archived