Unexpected Champions

Have you ever Put a top title on a worker you didn't plan to, either his matches were much higher standard then you expected or his popularity and momentum unexpectedly went sky high.

For me it was Ted dibiase.

He wasn't in a feud to start, he was in filler matches in the middle of shows or loosing close matches against Main eventers, after a few weeks i checked to see who made any kind of small improvements to there momentum or popularity, and to my shock Teddy had popularity and momentum of B+.

So I started him in a feud with Cena to see what standard of matches and angles they would do together, Teddy then went up to A in popularity and momentum is relativity short space of time and putting on very solid matches.

He was soo over i was forced to make teddy a WWE Heavyweight champ for the first time. I thought i may as well jump at the chance to put a strap on him as who knows when he'll loose the popularity and momentum.

He lost the strap and I expected him to fall down to Upper midcard after a few weeks, but to my surprise he kept his A popularity and momentum so i rewarded his hard work with another title victory 4 months after he dropped the 1st.

I recently started a Cornellverse game at cult level in the US... it's a fairly typical super-indy with all the usual suspects, which is a fairly deep talent pool. I had planned to put the belt on someone like James Prudence or Steve Flash but both looked like they were going to jump ship. Then I had Steven Parker but I was fairly sure he'd leave soon... I'd even considered Rhino Umaga who had gotten over massively in my tournament for the title... but in the end I gave it to someone who had not only gotten over a lot but who was putting on matches way better than I'd expect. That man... Remmy Skye.

He's been involved in 7 of the top 10 matches my company has had so far in his 6 months reign as champ. I had lined up Steven Parker to take the belt but he left for TCW the week I had planned to give him the belt. I then was going to give James Prudence the belt but I changed my mind... now I'm considering giving the belt to Greg Black (Groucho Bling) who's playing a Big League Star gimmick and is my most over worker, with Remmy in second. But Remmy Skye... the guy is usually a midcarder for me if I even bother signing him at all, so for me to have given him a 6 month reign with the title is very surprising to say the least. :)

My long term plan with Teddy was to have him in the tag division with Cody Rhodes when I sorted out a 3rd main brand, the Tag division was gonner be in the 3rd Brand.

well lucky for him i didn't make the 3rd brand until 5 months in.

If i rushed it and made the 3rd brand quick he wouldn't of been in the main event now and would of been fodder to get my favourite tag teams big wins.

First time I hired Hell Monkey I was planning on keeping him as a jobber-to-the-stars, but within 3 months of losses to Main Eventers he was up to uppermidcard, pushing main event. Switched him to winning matches and put the belt on him a month later.

I accidentally set the wrong guy to win a routine title defence, does that count?

I did this with the revived WWE Cruiserweight Championship, accidentally making my current champion (a moderately low skilled version of myself fresh from development) lose the belt to Bryan Danielson. I made it work out though and now Danielson is starting to break away from the lower/midcard into the upper-mid range.

I just accidentally put the TCW World Tag Team belts on the Freedom Fighters. Had The Machines as the champions and had the FF go over via Disqualification, but I used the wrong RA note. Whoops, new champs. Ah well, they should raise the prestige of the belts a few notches before losing them... Maybe to the Keith Boys.

Hell, I've started diaries that way... Fox Mask's first title defense ending with Jesse Gilbert winning the belt... I've had title changes -not- happen that way due to forgetting to book 'decisive victory' and the road agent booking a DQ, or forgetting to check weight limits... and there's the ever-popular 'two people whose names start with the same letter, and I put the wrong one in' mistake...

He's not champion yet, but Elijah Burke(heel) has gotten over huge in my TNA game I'm playing. Jericho is my current champion(and a heel), so my plan is to have Jericho hold the belt for quite awhile. He's currently feuding with Angle(face), and I think I'm going to have Jericho drop the belt to Angle at the end of the feud and then move Burke into the number one contendership. If I don't give the title to Angle first, then Joe will slot in. Or maybe I'll give Sting one last hurrah with the belt before he retires.

Burke shocked me though. He was lower mid card and after a month, he's a main eventer. I had him and Danielson feuding over the Television title and their matches just stood out. Now Burke is main event, Danielson is upper mid card.

Also, Christopher Daniels went from lower mid card to main event in a month too. He's my X Division champ though, so I plan on him keeping that quite awhile.

Sonny Wildside. Brought him in because he was young and great at selling, figured he'd make a good jobber.

Within 6 months he was a main eventer jobbing up the card. I guess thats what flash, charisma and look will do though.

Teddy Hart's been WWE champion twice? In seven months?

Teddy Hart?

Was Jay Chord too tame for you? :p

Back on '08 I signed up Kirk Jameson as a prospect but he spent almost two years not doing very much. Out of nowhere he had a very good (for a regional company) match with Greg Gauge that seemed to flip a switch for him and me. From that point on he hardly had a bad match and ended up winning the MAW title (and getting stolen by SWF :mad:).

Still, from nobody to The Man in a relatively short space of time, he really shocked me with the 'snap' from undercard to main event.

Archived