PSW Discussion Thread

No one asked for it, and no one will potentially take notice of it, BUT... I've decided to create a discussion thread centered around THE Hardcore Wrestling promotion in the Cornell-verse, Pittsburgh Steel Wrestling! They are often devalued since they came from DaVE's ashes (much like XPW came out of ECW's ashes) but I really feel like PSW has it's own vibe; one that is often pushed aside since they strong ties with the previous promotion (DaVE). In the end, to those of us who love the 'Steel City', this can be a thread used to ask questions, relay thoughts on PSW topics, and ultimately create a thread based upon raising awareness of PSW as a whole.

I'll start the conversation...

How would one go about pushing PSW toward being a 'cult-sized' company? At this point, you start off just on the cuff of becoming a 'regionally sized' organization (E+ in one region); so, realistically, it seems like A LOT would have to happen in which to raise it's popularity. I mean, to get to 'cult', you pretty much have to have a "D" importance level in two different regions within your home country. With only one of them being at a E+, and the rest at "F" and "F-", it looks like it's a major up-hill battle. I guess, what I'm trying to find out is, what's the best route of action in which to raise your importance? Just use internet distribution and hope for the best over a couple years? Actually run shows in other areas?

With only $100,000 in the bank, It makes it a very hard 'fight'...

A simple answer to the question, and one that applies to all upstart promotions, is that you should never, ever, ever rush to Cult. Rush to Cult, and you die. The only way to make the trip from Cult to National is to build up a popularity base in several different neighboring regions, then to use popularity gained in those regions to increase popularity in adjacent regions.

On a more PSW-specific note, I've found that while Steven Parker is less likely to get grabbed in the first month than he was in 2008, you still shouldn't get too comfortable with the idea of hanging on to him. Also, forget keeping Matthew Keith for more than a few weeks.

What I had to learn with PSW is; it's not all that much about talent, it's about pop. So while my instinct way to bring in guys like Sayeed Ali first, the trick is build around older, more popular guys and slowly bring lower card guys up. Like, for instance, while Doug Peak is normally derided as the crappy brother of Eddie, the man is actual a beast of a worker for a company like PSW. Doug Peak working with Johnny Martin will bring the necessary grades PSW needs to get to grow but on a budget that allow PSW to move forward.

/nod. You need two stats for a good worker in PSW: Hardcore and Popularity.

So while Little Bill seems on paper a terrible worker, he's not bad actually. E- popularity and C- hardcore. That's enough to get D's when thrown against your main event.

Exactly. Little Bill is a really strong figure if you book him right (given the obvious Spike-Dudley-esque character along with good hardcore & decent popularity). Also, Celt brings in a good point with Doug Peak. During my time with ELITE, He actually put together some strong matches for the most part; THAT and he's willing to take a 'bump' (which is always great to see).

With free agents like Randall Hopkirk, and Man Mountain Cahill, on the free agency list to start, You're already handed a few popular, older, workers who can help to bring along the PSW product. Just like in ECW, Terry Funk was there (while old) in which to help validate a lot of the companies roster. In a sense, these older guys (Hopkirk, Peak, and Cahill) are there in which to help bring along the characters you ACTUALLY want to push. ha.

:confused::confused::confused:

errr!?

You already have a roster full of older, popular, awesome guys. Morgan, Martin, Braun, Future, Phunk.

You don't need "older, experienced" guys, you need young talent to grow PSW. Your best prospects (Keith, Parker) are going to get snatched up and then you're left with very little.

You need to build up Callum and either find or grow some other younger guys and build them up ASAP before your main event retires/dies of old age :D

Phunk and Morgan are alright, but the best you can get out of them normally is something like a D+. For the main event you really need at least a C-.

Also, maybe I'm just an idiot, but for a pop based promotion that's not on TV the only way I really know how to get people over is by beating someone on a Dominate Brute, and guys like Doug Peak are prefect for that.

Like I told Eisen-Verse, his dynasty that he recently started with PSW made me start a game with PSW. I always wanted to get around to a game in 2008but was never able to and even though I only like running three games at a time I decided to go ahead and start a fourth save with PSW (Although if you think about it I am still only at three because I don't count my dynasty game) However I am glad that I finally was able to start one with PSW and I am really having fun with it.

First thing I'd do in a PSW game: Sign Henry Lee and Shawn Gonzalez. They have C+ pop in the US.

As you start gearing to go up to cult sign up any and all of the ex-DAVE guys in WEXXV. They're a HUGE help.

There's something inherently wrong with that statement. I'll let you figure it out.

First off, change Grandmaster Phunk's gimmick right away. As his hustler gimmick is a comedy one and he's main eventer, he will lose pop every time you use him no matter how many dominate notes you give him.

At the beginning I brought in Cahill and Peak, made them dominate the jobbers, and then leak their popularity to other main eventers. My PSW was carried for the first two years solely on Johnny Martin-Frankie Future feud. And then came in the infamous... Big Smack Scott. Even him got respectable match ratings (av. rating 63, highest rating 78!) during his amazing title run.

The problem with younger talent is that they will sign with the bigger promotions at some point. I have had dozens of young ones stolen from me, but you can always trust that Johnny Martin is there for you.

I can write more later, right now I'm too tired for that..

First off, change Grandmaster Phunk's gimmick right away. As his hustler gimmick is a comedy one and he's main eventer, he will lose pop every time you use him no matter how many dominate notes you give him.

This is a GREAT note, Kovic. I was wondering why Phunk dropped from a "D" in popularity to a "D-" minus the fact that he had a great showing in my first event (great match turnout & angles he was in). Thanks for that!

Honestly speaking, I wish I had advice for you, EV, but my product style and tastes is a LOT different from PSW. That being said, you've always gave me ideas...

It's 100% understandable, Amp. We all have our focuses; what we all love to book/see. While I'm not a HUGE fan of blood, and weapon usage, I do like the freedom that hardcore companies allow as it pertains to a darker image.

Overall, I'm loving the fact that we can have PSW conversations in here. It helps me become a better booker while also talking about the company I've come to love the most.

I enjoyed PSW in 2008, haven't given it a shot yet in 2010. I really love that they have Matthew Keith, as my favorite gimmick to capitalize on Ash Campbell's skillset is that of "Wrestling Royalty" and having Matthew Keith there as a tag partner means that I can, in theory, have an awesome stable beginning. Once I buy the game, I'll probably have a diary going that route.

Or since PSW is already medium comedy, just up it to high and keep his gimmick. That way he can put others over while losing less popularity.

What I had to learn with PSW is; it's not all that much about talent, it's about pop. So while my instinct way to bring in guys like Sayeed Ali first, the trick is build around older, more popular guys and slowly bring lower card guys up.

well i play psw right now and in the top 6 matches only one was hardcore based, all the others were much more about technicians or all arounders, and something that really wondered me is that one of my top 3 matches was a match between matthew keith(midcarder) and greg gauge(low midcarder), while my hardcore mainevents mostly bomb. and im just wondering is there is a trick to book hardcore matches? am i booking them wrong?

edit: what do you guys do with tank bradley? i really dont know what to do with him, everything he is in kinda sucks...

well i play psw right now and in the top 6 matches only one was hardcore based, all the others were much more about technicians or all arounders, and something that really wondered me is that one of my top 3 matches was a match between matthew keith(midcarder) and greg gauge(low midcarder), while my hardcore mainevents mostly bomb. and im just wondering is there is a trick to book hardcore matches? am i booking them wrong?

Download this.

The default "hardcore" match isn't risky enough for a hardcore promotion, so you take a big penalty to every match held under those rules. This match file includes special PSW-style matches that prevent you from taking the penalty, as well as a few other fun types of match.

edit: what do you guys do with tank bradley? i really dont know what to do with him, everything he is in kinda sucks...

Jobber to the (rising) stars. Bradley is not going to improve enough to be worth his paycheck, so you're better off getting everything you can out of his popularity before his contract runs out.

What are peoples creative meetings saying? e.g Franchise Players, mine at June (2010) are:

Johnny Martin

Travis Century

Jack Griffin

Doug Peak

No NBT but Future I have

Matt Keith

Sam Ford (The Shark)

Ash Campbell

Thimbley Langton

Talkers:

Ash

Braun

Keith

Century

Future

Show Stoppers:

Swamp (Hell) Monkey

Matt Keith

J Martin

Griffin

Braun

Who's hot:

Ted Powell

Frankie Future

JMartin

The Punisher (WTF)

Ash Campbell

Not:

Sam Ford

J Griffin

Swamp Monkey

Travis Century

The Wolverine

Somethings going wrong with debuts despite all being wins.

Jobber to the (rising) stars. Bradley is not going to improve enough to be worth his paycheck, so you're better off getting everything you can out of his popularity before his contract runs out.

Agreed. I think you can, at least from a diary standpoint, flesh out his character slightly but overall he'll always be used as a glorified jobber. As Shamelessposer says, with PSW popularity is 'king' so stealing his pop through losses is a great way to go.

Change the angle / match ratio to 80% matches then your angles dont bomb as much and use angles on people's strengths.

Doug Peak (Menace) -> seems to be a popular worker to bring in

Alex Braun (Microphone)

Primal Rage (Menace)

Also if there not over enough for the main event use them with main eventers. I always focus Nelson Callum doing promos on the top guys as he feels he is already ready to compete with them. I have a mini fued with Peak and Martin to start off while Martin is also after the Championship held by Future. Braun gets 60+ promos on occasion for me when focused on Future :)

Archived