Is it...normal to be worse than the AI?

I've now played this game enough that I feel I should be decent at it, but my current game is a diary game of a draft mod. I tested the mod with a lot of sim games at various points of completion, and every time, the one constant was that "my" fed dominated. Now that I'm actually playing, my fed is barely treading water at the middle of the pack. The AI consistently put on solid shows with my fed, and usually won MotY and EotY most years, but my shows are generally mediocre- I actually did get MotY, but it's the only A-rank I put on all year, and other feds got 5-10 of them. Am I just bad? Does the AI have some sort of advantage I don't? Is trying to make semi-coherent storylines holding me back?

The AI has been dramatically improved over previous versions, so in the beginning, yes it is normal to be completely blown away by the AI.

However, as the game progresses, you should slowly start bridging that gap as you build up your workers, sign new ones and do the dynamic "human intelligence stuff".

So after a couple of years, you should be on par with/beating the pants off the AI.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is that the AI DOES kinda have advantages. A lot of problems the game produces are conspicuously human-oriented. Like, I don't think they have backstage problems. They don't need to have silly "stories" to tell, either via the Feuds page or their own curious fallibilities. Nope, the AI just does what it thinks is best, all the time.

That said, they also for some reason cannot move beyond Regional, and never really produce a worker with over... was it low A popularity?

I think the game has built in "stoppers" to keep Regional feds at Regional for a looooong time.

If you played earlier versions you'd understand, but for those of you who are new, basically there is a HUGE financial curve between Regional and Cult. I.e. you can be making money hand over fist at regional, bump up to cult and suddenly "OMG, MY BANK ACCOUNT IS GONE!"

For players who can know and expect that, you can plan for it. The AI (used) to have a much bigger problem. It wasn't unusual in previous versions of the game for multiple Regional promotions to jump to Cult early in the year and be bankupt by the end of the year. It was brutal, it became almost comical.

"Oh, CZCW went Cult? Start the clock. I bet in 6 months they're bankrupt..."

So I think 2010 puts big stoppers in place so that promotions don't expand until they've got some serious bank. I think the big thing is that they don't "tour" as much anymore, i.e. they stick to the same region. I haven't tested it out but I'm thinking they only go to Cult now through spillover :D

I think the game has built in "stoppers" to keep Regional feds at Regional for a looooong time.

If you played earlier versions you'd understand, but for those of you who are new, basically there is a HUGE financial curve between Regional and Cult. I.e. you can be making money hand over fist at regional, bump up to cult and suddenly "OMG, MY BANK ACCOUNT IS GONE!"

For players who can know and expect that, you can plan for it. The AI (used) to have a much bigger problem. It wasn't unusual in previous versions of the game for multiple Regional promotions to jump to Cult early in the year and be bankupt by the end of the year. It was brutal, it became almost comical.

"Oh, CZCW went Cult? Start the clock. I bet in 6 months they're bankrupt..."

So I think 2010 puts big stoppers in place so that promotions don't expand until they've got some serious bank. I think the big thing is that they don't "tour" as much anymore, i.e. they stick to the same region. I haven't tested it out but I'm thinking they only go to Cult now through spillover :D

Sim 20 years. All those promotions are still regional, and are sitting on 100s of millions sometimes.

Sim 20 years. All those promotions are still regional, and are sitting on 100s of millions sometimes.

Yep, but I've also seen the AI take a promotion from Small to Cult (5SSW). I've seen AAA jump to Cult (once) as well.

The AI is allowed to "cheat" as Linsolv alluded to. It has to. It can't be as flexible and nimble as a human player or many people wouldn't be able to play (they'd get smooshed if the AI actually managed its roster decently, for example). As praguepride pointed out, in previous games, it was a foregone conclusion that an AI promotion jumping to Cult meant the death of that promotion. It was like clockwork. WEXXV was going to die in the first year of play and some promotion was going to jump to Cult and be defunct in short order.

It's not normal to be worse than the AI though. It might have to do with booking a product that doesn't suit your preferences to a T. You're basically Vince Russo and you have to find a way to change that. Either tweak the product to fit your booking preferences or learn the nuances of the product as it exists currently. To quote a Rob Schneider characters, YOU CAN DO IT! I beat SWF's ratings on occasion at Cult (they're Global), with girls! As several folks have said, the AI is really bad at building overness (but decent at maintaining it). It's like how TCW might sign a Champagne Lover but after 3 years, he'd still be in the midcard while people like Rocky freakin' Golden are main eventing. If his overness was built, Lover could CARRY Rocky to Cornell-esque rated matches (and OMG what he could do with Cornell himself!). But the AI can't think so it fails in that regard and needs to be propped up.

To be fair to the OP, given the same talent, the same product and the same bank balance, the AI will usually beat a human over the course of a year in terms of match and show ratings (especially the latter).

However, what the AI generally won't have done over that year is built any new stars (that couldn't build themselves in any promotion anyway), gained much popularity outside regions it already had popularity in, or had any fun. :p

The AI books like an AI. It has no concept of creativity and isn't particularly great when it comes to rising in size or building extra popularity. It can't 'think outside the box'. A human would, naturally, get bored of booking the same main events over and over (and true enough, would get punished for that unlike the AI).

So in terms of pure grades, the AI has several advantages over a human. It knows how to book shows well, and it knows how to book matches well, so obviously it's largely going to be booking the best shows it can the majority of the time.

A human doesn't have those advantages until he gets really experienced with the game, but he has lots of other advantages. He doesn't have to stick to any rigid guidelines, he can built new stars and generally get around the problem of not being able to beat the AI "fair and square" as it were. So overall, it evens out. You might not directly beat the AI in terms of grades, but you'll probably rise in popularity and size faster than them if you hit the right areas.

The AI is a technico, it has to be good because it's not allowed to cheat. You're a rudo... go for it, do what rudos do. Hold a show in their arena the day before their show, steal their big stars for no reason other than you can, raise ticket prices by four dollars to squeeze every last penny out of the fans, book your jobbers in non-rated roles in main event angles, book their best workers in 2/3 falls (literally) Scaffold Matches until they're "unable to fulfil their contractual obligations"... :p

The AI also doesn't get the benefits of gimmicks, worker momentum, chemistry (I don't think so anyway...), storyline heat, etc. Once you add those back in, your hand gets even stronger.

It should be noted that one of the positives of the AI booking generically, and not having any penalties, is that wrestlers improve much quicker. Sim a few years and Marat will be a very good worker in comparison to his beginnings. He'll be booked with SWF's greatest workers on every show.

Archived