Thinking of giving C-Verse a try.

I've never played it before. I've been playing TEW since 2005ish, but I've only used real world mods.

I'd like to acquaint myself with the fictional universe, so I was wondering what would be a good promotion to start with?

My playing habits:

I've never ran a promotion above cult, I've usually enjoyed running local/small promotions, but in real-world it's a bit easier since it's easy to know who to sign, because you know who has potential.

I usually don't bother with storylines, hate running angles. Usually do US promotions and no hardcore; just haven't tried something like that yet, nor any lucha feds.

Just browse trough the promotion list, I'm sure that you'll find some interesting product, owner or wrestlers in the roster or promotion backstory or situation against competitors that will get you hooked.

For me playing TEW has always been about playing Cornellverse right from the earliest versions of the game. :)

I have only ever had 1 C-Verse game that has lasted more than 2 weeks, and that was with a promotion I started myself, and from what you said that is what I would suggest.

I am like you and dont like running storylines and dont use angles frequently and making my own promotion allowed me to do that. If you like knowing who has potential when starting a game, maybe familiarize yourself with the default data and then download the CV 97 mod, as lots of the big talent from the original data are just rookies in that mod.

I've never played it before. I've been playing TEW since 2005ish, but I've only used real world mods.

I'd like to acquaint myself with the fictional universe, so I was wondering what would be a good promotion to start with?

My playing habits:

I've never ran a promotion above cult, I've usually enjoyed running local/small promotions, but in real-world it's a bit easier since it's easy to know who to sign, because you know who has potential.

I usually don't bother with storylines, hate running angles. Usually do US promotions and no hardcore; just haven't tried something like that yet, nor any lucha feds.

MAW is a great place to start for almost anyone, it seems to fill your criteria quite nicely if you want to stick to that. Just make sure your drug testing is set to none or you'll rapidly go broke.

If you fancy something bigger then USPW might be for you, they're a lot of fun to play and are a very flexible option. With enough points in your negotiating stat you can also sign written deals, giving you the feel of a major promotion without the pressure of worrying about falling to cult. And you have access to the Cornellverse's women, which are an untapped resource that USPW can turn into a unique and major asset in the USA. :)

Every promotion is going to have something to offer. One thing to keep in mind is that the bigger C-verse promotions don't tend to have huge rosters, so if that's a factor that keeps you in smaller promotions usually, you may still want to give them a look.

Promotions like NOTBPW and CZCW might be your bet bets.

Thanks everyone :)

Also I tend to like booking tag divisions if theres any promotions that have a good tag roster.

One of these days I might try a tag team only promotion and see how it goes. I wonder if there would be any drawbacks other than it costing twice as much?

Thanks everyone :)

Also I tend to like booking tag divisions if theres any promotions that have a good tag roster.

One of these days I might try a tag team only promotion and see how it goes. I wonder if there would be any drawbacks other than it costing twice as much?

Most of the regional and cult promotions have one or two good tag teams. Most don't have real strong divsions, just due to the size of the promotion. NOTBPW has pretty good and even has an annual tag tournament.

For tag divisions, TCW might be tops. They have two of the very best teams in The New Wave and The Machines.

My personal favorites this time around are NYCW, MAW, and ACPW. Like Derek B. said MAW is pretty easy if you want to see what the C-Verse is like.

NYCW and ACPW have fun rosters for me. Although I am not a fan of ACPW just being lightweight workers only.

I also suggest doing the following:

Glance through the cornellverse website to get some history, like who sam strong and rip chord are.

Then take a moment and get your bearings. Filter on different skills for A or A* mins to get a feel for who the top dogs are.

SWF can best be described as WWF/WCW from the 90's. A bit cartoonish but also a bit edgy.

TCW is like attitude era WWF with real, gritty characters but with far more focus on in-ring action then angles.

CZCW is like a flashy inch promotion with lightning fast young, light workers.

USPWis like 80s wrestling. Kinda like TNA now with an aging main event scene, but with a few good young prospects.

NYCW is like an old NWA territory.

PSW is similar to ECW. Lots of hardcore action.

FCW is like a cross between 80s style wrestling and modern lucha.

AAA is like SHIMMER.

BSC is like Wrestlicious or the nude womens wrestling federation.

I think that covers the US at least.

Taking some time to go through things, read bios, look at stats, etc, is a great idea. It will help give you a handle on what you are getting into with each promotion. You will probably run into workers that jump out at you for some reason, even before you book them. You can also get a handle on what issues some of the promotions may have - and they all have something.

One thing to keep in mind is that real world similarities are just that - similarities. There will be workers that remind you of real world ones - whether its the pic, the skills, personaliity, gimmick, whatever - as well promotions. But its only similar, not a direct representation. Because there are always just as many differences.

One of the greatest things about the CornellVerse is the creativity that it allows. So much is open for interpretation.

For example, I look at the SWF as being similar to the WWF from the 95-96 period. Just on the cusp of the Attitude era - where you have a combination of cartoony and serious, but always with an eye toward "Sports Entertainment". I look at TCW as a combination between 1988-1990 WCW and a national-level ROH, with a strong focus on in-ring action. USPW has always felt like the WWF from about 1982-1986, without a lot of emphasis on the in-ring action. I realize that these are just my interpretations of each promotion, how I've come to contextualize them over time.

In Canada, I see CGC as similar to Stampede Wrestling, with a strong entertainment focus by some talented wrestlers. NOTPBW has no real world equal, in my opinion. Even in the territorial era, I'm not sure you had a promotion with a such a pure focus on work rate and in-ring skill, with so little focus on the entertainment aspects.

In Japan, Burning Hammer of the Wrestling Gods strikes me as most similar to New Japan Pro Wrestling, with the importance of super juniors. Pride Honor Glory Wrestling is a combination between All Japan's mid-90s zenith and NOAH. GCG is like a fallen All Japan.

Based on your original post, Derek's suggestion of MAW sounds like it might be ideal. Its a promotion intended to help develop a new generation of workers. You have a true legend of the business as the owner and his superstar-to-be son (who is also a complete jerkass - there's your issue) as well.

MAW would be an excellent choice. They've got a soild roster. Jay will never leave. Steven Parker is a solid talent, and loyal to Rip as well if I'm not mistaken. So, he'd be a good pick up and hard pressed to leave.

Other then that, as has been previously suggested, CZCW is a fun promotion to play. Though you can expect most of your top talent to get poached rather quickly.

If your looking for more of a start from scratch promotion I highly recommend Lethal Ring (I just started at game with them myself), a "to debut" promotion in the database. The focus is on Modern and Realism with a splash of Lucha and Daredevil. So, VERY match oriented. I only run about 3 short angles a show. Mostly hype interviews/promos/videos. They are super small, but with a 2.5 Million Dollar upside. My top guys are Remmy Skye (who somehow hasnt been picked up by either of the big two at almost a year in), Steve Flash, and Samoan Machine. And of course a plethora of stand out indy darlings to round out the undercard.

No matter which promotion you choose, be sure to stick with it. I've been playing the Cornellverse since TEW 2004 and I still don't know every single person in the game. It takes tons of time to really get a knowledge of everything, but I think the characters, gimmicks, and creativity of so many workers can really suck you in. It's tons of fun if you put in the effort and not give up pre-maturely.

I support MAW as I find it a very easy fed to book. Admittedly you're heavily reliant on Jean Cattley for match ratings, but that's not a bad thing - Jean's awesome.

The young kids (Jay especially) can deliver decent ratings and pretty much anyone other than psychos and entertainers can deliver decent ratings given time to get over.

The focus is heavily on in-ring stuff, but you can use Rip's overness and mic skills to train up your youngster and boost their momentum somewhat. Rip also makes for an excellent road agent if you take the extraordinary step of not giving your user character A* psychology :p

The company's small enough that a high E/low D final show grade will represent a sizable popularity gain in the early days, and when you hit regional you can attract some of the best indy workers around if you want to go down that route.

Archived