Question re: Card Ratings in WAMMA 3

One thing that really "hacked me off" if you will about WMMA 2 was that card ratings are still too heavily biased around having super-anticipated fights, versus having good fights. There's no benefit to putting together two guys who have an absolute classic WAR that goes to the judges if it wasn't a highly anticipated fight.

Is this something that's going to be changed in WMMA 3?

I don't think this has been addressed in the developer's journal yet.

If I were to make a guess that it would be changed slightly to make great technical fights matter a little bit more. I like WMMA2's Show Rating system. It makes a lot of sense when Adam explains his reasoning for it. I think the problem actually was in the wording of "Show Rating" that really confused people.

I think the idea of WMMA is correct but it's skewed way too heavily towards putting together anticipated fights. If anything, if you put together some really highly anticipated fights, and they suck, there's no way that will increase an org's population as much as some medium level fights that have fight of the year potential.

Leonard Garcia vs Zombie? No one cared about it before hand but maybe one of the biggest fights in WEC history, and gained them some real steam.

Griffin vs Bonnar obviously not most anticipated fight ever but maybe the most improtant fight in history for UFC's popularity growth. The game would never recognize these kinds of fights as being that meaningful it seems.

I think the idea of WMMA is correct but it's skewed way too heavily towards putting together anticipated fights. If anything, if you put together some really highly anticipated fights, and they suck, there's no way that will increase an org's population as much as some medium level fights that have fight of the year potential.

Leonard Garcia vs Zombie? No one cared about it before hand but maybe one of the biggest fights in WEC history, and gained them some real steam.

Griffin vs Bonnar obviously not most anticipated fight ever but maybe the most improtant fight in history for UFC's popularity growth. The game would never recognize these kinds of fights as being that meaningful it seems.

This is kind of how I feel as well. I think that if a fight gets 5 stars, it should automatically kind of "Carry" the card, as well as be one of those fights that goes down in history. To be honest off the top of my head I can't even remember the other fights on the Garcia V. Korean Zombie, that's how overwhelmingly awesome the match was--and I'd still consider the card a pretty good card even if that was the only quality fight on it.

I'm thinking maybe there should be a "Fight Hall of Fame", where any fight that scores 5 stars, as well as having a certain level of coverage, goes into the Hall, along with it's commentary. 5 star fights would perhaps have to be a bit rarer to avoid flooding the Hall, but I think it would be a fun improvement to look back at all the history that's been created since you started playing, which to me has a certain kind of very personal pride in it. :o

Or, instead of changing the occurence of 5 star fights drastically, make a new, much rarer "6 Star Rating" for the best of the best, the Hall of Fame worthy, the card carrying quality fights. Just another suggestion. :)

The Korean Zombie fight wasnt on PPV, it was on Spike before the Faber vs. Aldo PPV.

Saying a fight is great wont increase PPV buys, hype will. People wanted to see Jackson vs. Evans so it would get a good rating in the game. The actual fight wasnt amazing, but in the game it would still get a decent rating, and you would still make money and gain popularity. I think popularity should matter the most, and being an exciting fighter helps a little. How many people know who Clay Guida is? He has the most exciting fights, yet his fights make very few people buy a ppv or even a replay.

We all want the quality of matches to matter a lot, since its the easiest thing to get in the game. Its not realistic. If GSP-Koschek is a boring fight, people will still buy the ppv and love it since its two big name fighters. Saying the Korean Zombie fight was amazing and should make the card great isnt true, no one bought the fight for that, they did for Faber or Aldo. Saying more people (more pop boost) should come of it makes no sense.

The Korean Zombie fight wasnt on PPV, it was on Spike before the Faber vs. Aldo PPV.

Saying a fight is great wont increase PPV buys, hype will. People wanted to see Jackson vs. Evans so it would get a good rating in the game. The actual fight wasnt amazing, but in the game it would still get a decent rating, and you would still make money and gain popularity. I think popularity should matter the most, and being an exciting fighter helps a little. How many people know who Clay Guida is? He has the most exciting fights, yet his fights make very few people buy a ppv or even a replay.

We all want the quality of matches to matter a lot, since its the easiest thing to get in the game. Its not realistic. If GSP-Koschek is a boring fight, people will still buy the ppv and love it since its two big name fighters. Saying the Korean Zombie fight was amazing and should make the card great isnt true, no one bought the fight for that, they did for Faber or Aldo. Saying more people (more pop boost) should come of it makes no sense.

You're talking about drawing power, everyone else is talking about the entertainment value of the fights. Sure, the big names are what makes people buy the PPV, but they're not really what makes an event good. What determines the PPV buy and what determines the show's rating should be separated because there's a big difference in real life.

To be honest off the top of my head I can't even remember the other fights on the Garcia V. Korean Zombie, that's how overwhelmingly awesome the match was--and I'd still consider the card a pretty good card even if that was the only quality fight on it.

Garcia vs. Korean Zombie was a very exciting slugfest but technically, it wasn't even nearly as good as Aldo vs. Faber.

Garcia vs. Korean Zombie was a very exciting slugfest but technically, it wasn't even nearly as good as Aldo vs. Faber.

I'm sure it was, I just couldn't remember it (Though to be quite honest, I didn't pay too much attention to WEC until after that card). That is all irrelevant to the point I made anyways, but whatevs. :)

WEC are putting on the most consistently excellent cards I've ever seen and their ratings are slipping whenever there's a lack of stars on the card (stars meaning champions or Urijah Faber.)

Griffin - Bonnar is an anomaly and would be really, really hard to properly replicate, especially since it had the weight of a reality series behind it and was on a household network.

Personally I think match ratings should have some effect on the rating, not a massive one, but at least something. Obvious with a PPV how anticipated the main and co-main events should have the largest effect on popularity, sort of the base "rating" so to speak (so a card with a weak main event would start out at, say, awful as its base). Once it starts, the fights on the main card could move the rating slightly, as a card with many great fights could increase popularity with the people who did buy the PPV. The highest it should go up or down is one level at best. It could be argued that the higher the hype of the main, the bigger effect it should have on the ratings (a dud main event could make an Amazing rated card mediocre).

With TV shows, I think the match ratings should have a larger effect then on PPV. As, with them being free, exciting matches would effect the viewership more (people can turn the show off or on). But, for it to work, most of the card would have to get good ratings, as if you have one great fight, and a bunch of mediocre ones, you aren't going to convince anyone to keep tunned in (unless you have stars in there, as they'd have better drawing power).

Of course I think match ratings might need to be more complex to make this work. As 5 27 second KO's shouldn't make a card better. I've been curious if match order (outside the main and co-main events) effects anything? Kind of like in EWR where if you put a great, exciting match followed by a boring, dud match, the boring match would lose even more of its rating due to basically sucking the life out of the pumped up crowd.

• 2 weeks later...
You're talking about drawing power, everyone else is talking about the entertainment value of the fights. Sure, the big names are what makes people buy the PPV, but they're not really what makes an event good. What determines the PPV buy and what determines the show's rating should be separated because there's a big difference in real life.

I did a test, put 18 fights in the main card, all were at least good as co main event, half were great main events and none had less than mid level international pop, which was my orgs pop at the time. I got a 'great' card rating... wtf, it was the msot stacked cad in in my games history.

Archived