New Batman Movie gets a name!

brashleyholland

Is officially called "The Dark Knight Rises". It will conclude the 'story' of the past two Batman films. It'll be shot in HD IMAX, not 3D (yay).

Also, no Joker, Riddler or Two-Face (boo).

What's everyone's bet for the villain then? I'm thinking Catwoman gets a look in. In terms of 'realistic' villains though, there aren't many 'big names' left. Hush, maybe?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was a line in the last movie about the suit being able to withstand cat claws or someting along that line. I think catwoman is going to be in it but i really think they could do alot with the riddler. I think a riddler catwoman team would be good.

I'm betting Clayface gets a long look at for possible villains

Doesn't really fit with 'real' take on Batman that they're doing though, a man made of clay who shapeshifts.

That's why I thought Riddler (maybe sans green '?' jumper and hat) would be such a perfect fit for Nolan's world, as he's more of a diabolical genius than a 'monster'. Unfortunately it appears that Nolan thinks differently :(

Deadshot would be a good one too. Not sure about Harley Quinn due to her link to the Joker (already used and I don't know if they want to go that route with no one to play the Joker), Penguin may work but I keep seeing Danny Devito in that role and it's turning me off big time. A remake of Poison Ivy or Bane may work but I see Bane fitting into the current story arc easier than Ivy

Doesn't really fit with 'real' take on Batman that they're doing though, a man made of clay who shapeshifts.

That's why I thought Riddler (maybe sans green '?' jumper and hat) would be such a perfect fit for Nolan's world, as he's more of a diabolical genius than a 'monster'. Unfortunately it appears that Nolan thinks differently :(

I agree with you 100% here. He'd have totally fit

I read an article last week that the guy from Inception who played Emes (sp?) the guy that could transform or w/e Tom hardy was casted and he is supposed to play the main villain. Also read in the article that catwoman is almost a certain from various rumors and that they are doing casting calls for a female lead, which of course could mean someone like Poison Ivy as well. IGN also had a good article analyzing the villains and how they would fit in with Nolan's view. While there will probably be some lesser known villains in the movie (both so far had multiple villains) the main villain will almost have to be someone well known.

Also it is important to go with what has already happen in the last movies. Batman is now seen as a bad guy to the city and they just lost their D.A. who Batman killed in cold blood (in their eyes). Also the Joker who basically shut down the mob in Gotham has been put out of commission 100% due to Heath being gone and there's no way Nolan tries to replace him meaning with no Batman, no D.A., and no Joker breathing down their throats, the mob could make a return.

I see the villain being someone of public power and playing up the bad Bad angle, at least one of the minor villain. I don't see the villain being some over the top villain like the old movies or like other super hero movies as Nolan has tried to make them more realistic.

I thought the Penguin had a legit shot if he wasn't made so cartooney as he could be mayor/ D.A. or something, however that is basically the same storyline they used in the 90's Batman (or 80's w/e). However he is one of the more popular villains and is easy to go with even if they make him 100% human and the guy just as the nickname of the penguin.

Clayface I think has a great chance, but instead of being a big blob changing they make him more of a con man "man of many faces" type deal which IGN suggested. I think this could fit in great as he uses his "powers" to manipulate the city.

Riddler is a disappointed as I thin alot of people wanted to see that, however it would almost be the same as the Joker, two smart villains playing riddles and tricks, so I understand.

Mr. Freeze is also someone I think could come up. Of course this wouldn't be your super corny blue Arnold Mr. Freeze. He could be a politician/D.A. hell bent on global warming and the like using a machine to make the city cold swaying them his favor. Judging by current events I think this is somewhat likely.

Finally hypothesis, they make the villain fight crime, maybe Deadbolt, leading to the Batman feud. I like this one somewhat more than the political approach because this "Deadbolt" villain would have to fight other villains, this where I think we could see a Croc or maybe one of the "weirder/fantasy" villains to go along side the "realistic" villain.

Nolan has already ruled out Freeze as well.

I wouldn't mind Talia al Ghul. She could step in as the new leader after the (apparent) death of Ras in the first movie and she could also step into a leadership role it he Gotham mob. She could know who Batman is and try to step into the mob void to destroy Gotham from within as her father had wanted.

I also wouldn't mind Ras still being alive.

Scarface is dead and not coming back.

The female lead doesn't necessarily have to be Catwoman, could be Sofia Falcone or Talia al Ghul; or more likely a new love interest for Bruce since the last one didn't make it out of Dark Knight too well.

I don't get the nets fascination with Calendar Man for the lead villain in this one though. He's always been kind of a joke really. The only time being written as being a serious threat was in Long Halloween and Dark Victory, but really, he was portrayed as just a poor man's rendition of Hannibal Lecter. And really that doesn't sound interesting at all.

My bet is on Black Mask. He fits in with Nolan's more realistic yet gritty atmosphere. Although if he can make Bane work in his Gotham that would be awesome.

The idea of introducing Catwoman just has no appeal to me, although I'm not even sure why.

From what I've read about Black Mask, he does sound like a very good fit for Nolan's Universe. A very dark and gritty character, more of a soldier villain able to compete physically with Batman, and can be incorporated into the Mob plotline.

Also, Nolan said years ago that The Penguin doesn't fit in with his universe.

Honestly, while I'd LOVE to see Killer Croc, and the Louisiana setting doesn't immediately fit any other Batman villian...

I think Hush would be a good move. I don't like Black Mask, he's just some generic lunatic who happens to have some powerful underworld connections. I think Hush, however, would add an awesome element to the movie.

But hey, that's just me.

Still, Kill Croc... totally and completely different from the baddies faced by Batman so far in the Nolan films.

Mr. Freeze? Not the cheesy one, but the tragic one. After two evil (Ghul, Joker) leads, we need another tragic lead now.

Sadly, I think the Arnold version has left a bad enough taste in everyone's mouth that it'll be a long time until someone gives Freeze another shot on the big screen. That, and I just don't see how you can make a version of him fit into the Nolan Bat-verse. Not without keeping some semblence of the character, at least.

Even Croc I can see being made to fit. Just gotta have a big hulking cannibal with bad skin, that's not too tough.

That said, Mr. Freeze done in a style similar to BTAS would be amazing. But between everyone still remembering the awful, awful one from Batman & Robin (similar can sadly be said about Bane) and the struggle to get him to "fit" the universe... I'd be shocked if it was him.

Thankfully, Bane's appearance in Batman & Robin is a bit more forgettable, and I can easily see him fitting into the recent films. And hey, what better way to potentially end the series than with Bruce Wayne in a wheelchair?

Archived