'Fulfil Potential' Narrative

Has anybody ever used it, if only to see how much a particular worker can grow? I'm going through my roster now applying it to them so I can see how far they can theoretically progress (on a copied save of my actual game, of course). Apparently, Wolf Hawkins has a hard cap of 97 sex appeal.

There are some really bizarre quirks, like Freddy Huggins capping out in Mat Wrestling 40 points clear of either submissions or chain wrestling.

Was intrigued by the idea so I tried this on my 0/0/0/0 fed to see where people could go. Here's the roster and some notes.

Bradley Blaze - B Puroresu and Flashiness. Pysch won;t get above C but B Basics, Consistency and Selling means he can still go far

Cal Sanders - B Brawling and Puroresu, A Matt Wrestling and his Star quality will get up to B. The C in psych might hold him back as will his still horrible entertainment skills but B basics and Selling, B+ Safety and A Consistency means he can go far.

Donte Dunn - Hell get a Flashiness and Star Quality of A, Mat Wrestling, Basics, Safety and Mic skills at B. But psych maxes at C- and Selling at D+. He will however be one of the toughest most pure athletic talents with both at A*

Dusty Bin - Highest performace skill Basics at C+ and Psych lowest at D+ but he'll be the hardcore submission artist with Hardcore at B- and Submission B+. He'll also get to B in mic skills and charisma.

Lobo Solitario- My user character will suck in the ring but Mic, Charisma, Acting, Athleticism, Toughness, Stamina and Star Quality will all reach A*.

Mark Smart - will grow to be a flashy, athletic Chain Wrestler B+. But with Selling as his highest performance skill at B- and Psych lowest at C- and average entertainment skills he'll go nowhere fast.

Marshall Dillon - B- submission and C brawling are his only top row skills over D+. An A charisma might help but not as more than a midcarder with an average of B- performance skills.

Nomad - B-chain wrestling is his highest top row but a B+ Star Quality, B Psychology and B Charisma and Acting got get him somewhere.

Paradigm - will become one of the top hardcore workers with a B+ in hardcore and a B in brawling as well as a B Flashiness and B-Submissions. everything else is C+ except chain which is C-. He won't have much in entertainment skills But his A psychology B Basics and Selling will keep him in work for some time.

Paradox - A Hardcore, A* Mat Wrestling and B Aerial and Flashiness. A Charisma and Star Quality but little else for entertainment skills. His A baiscs, B Consistency and A* Selling are off set by his crappy D- Psychology.

Paranoia - Unlike the other Paratroopers B- is his highest top row in submissions with a C+ Aerial and C Flashiness the next two up. No entertainment skills to speak of and slightly above passable performance skills except consistency at B, so he'll consistently suck.

Roger Monteiro - Will be decent but not great mostly C- to C on the top row, except a B- Flashiness. Average C+ entertainment skills and Performance skills, although a B in selling.

Running Wolf - A* Submissions but nothing else over D except for a C- brawling. He'll have a look B+ Star Quality but bleh entertainment skills and a D in Psych makes him near useless.

Stretch The Chicken Boy - Average C across his top row and in performance skills. He will however reach an A charisma and a B sex appeal.

The Toronto Terror - B Puroresu, A Submissions and B- Flasiness and then C- average for the rest. No entertainment skills and a C average for Performance with a D in Psych.

Zachary Inc. - C average across the board on the top row. An A* mic skill with a D+ charisma and D acting. A decent star quality at B- and B- Psych and consistency might keep him in a job.

It was really interesting to see the end result of where the workers could go. The things is I don't think I can ever get them there.

<p>I did it when testing the effects of potential. It differs from game to game as it seems largely based on a worker's destiny roll at the beginning of a save. I've had Michelle Cox (Katherine Goodlooks) top out at A's in Rumble but C's in technical (she's a technician by default). Ochiyo Iijima wind up with far better technical skills than flying ones (technical spot monkey?).</p><p> </p><p>

Nowadays, I only use that narrative to establish trainers for my developmental promotions and then, only with trainers who are nearing retirement (say, 35+). In my diary game, people like Seiko Nanami, Alpha Female, Saeko Hiroyuki, Lioness Mushashibo, Namiyo Muro, Carol Singer, etc. Most of the time though, I use the performance skill trigger (since I want my trainers to be able to lead rookies through matches). I'm tempted to use it on Monster Ishimura (she's pretty much a waste of a roster slot at this point) but she's young enough to (hopefully) improve quite a bit over time.</p>

<p>I agree that it must be tied into some kind of destiny roll becuase I've had Hell Monkey shoot up to an A* in Brawling, and Hell's Bouncer shoot up to A's in all his rumble skills, but then Steven Parker made no noticeable improvements except for an A* in acting and Spencer Spade turn into the world's greatest technician with an A* in submission.</p><p> </p><p>

But it's fun to play with.</p><p> </p><p>

EDIT: also, it can be so powerful that we avoided it in the 77 mod even for guys like Luis Montero and Mr Lucha where it might have made sense.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Gigas" data-cite="Gigas" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29462" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>do the numbers actually make a difference? Like if you put it on 1 instead of 10? Whenever I fooled around with it, I made it 10.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> They make a huge difference in my experience.</p>

<p>Really? I didn't think the strength used on the potential maximisation had an effect.</p><p> </p><p>

Lemme double check.</p><p> </p><p>

Nope, none. I used strength 10 and then strength 1, compared them both - the stats received were identical.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Edit: This, however, has highlighted something quite odd. The worker I tested it on (Mighty Mo), is currently exceeding his caps in consistency and selling, consistency by 7 clear points. Didn't know that could happen.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="funkyzafara" data-cite="funkyzafara" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29462" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>How do you know where their cap is?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> By experimenting with the narrative. Its going to vary by game.</p>

do the numbers actually make a difference? Like if you put it on 1 instead of 10? Whenever I fooled around with it, I made it 10.

Nope, I've tested it with a low number one day and a 10 the next and the worker didn't improve a bit between the two days. The Narrative will cause a worker to grab every last bit of their remaining potential.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="James Casey" data-cite="James Casey" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29462" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Might it depend on how close a worker is to their potential, as well as their destiny?<p> </p><p> Perhaps if a worker is only 5% off their destiny then a 1 will get them their, but you'll need a 10 to turn Stretch into McFly?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Nope, a 1 will turn Stretch into McFly if he's got the potential. Quick add an 18 year old with straight 1's in the categories, assign them excellent potential, and set the narrative for the 2nd day. They'll have 95 point gains in some things.</p>

I just did this with Terry Lambert in my APWF game for kicks...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/JodoKastTRL/PotentialTerry.jpg

Gotta say, kinda depressing to know he'll probably never, ever come close to actually realizing that potential. Still, wow. Who would've thought that Terry Lambert actually has it in him to be one of the best wrestlers the world has ever seen?

Did it with a couple of other APWF stars... interesting stuff. Bill Popinowski has next to zero potential in terms of technical or high flying skills (almost all of those peaked in the E to E+ range), but he does have solid potential as a brawler (C+, B-, C+ in the respective "rumble" skills), and actually appears to have a large amount of room to grow in terms of performance skills. Which is good, because at his age that's the one thing I can rely on him being able to still develop whenever his time decline finally kicks in.

And Marcus McKing? Turns out a combination of him constantly wrestling APWF's most talented workers and natural development from youth has resulted in him already being about as good as he'll ever be. A little saddening, but he can already pull out regular A matches, so I'm not gonna fret that C+ is the best he can ever have in his top row (or that he'll be a perma-no seller!).

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Comradebot" data-cite="Comradebot" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29462" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I just did this with Terry Lambert in my APWF game for kicks...<p> </p><p> </p><p> <span>http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/JodoKastTRL/PotentialTerry.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Gotta say, kinda depressing to know he'll probably never, ever come close to actually realizing that potential. Still, wow. Who would've thought that Terry Lambert actually has it in him to be one of the best wrestlers the world has ever seen?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Comrade, keep Terry at this. May it be a seperate game or what not, but the world must know of the power that is APWF. Puny Capitalistic SWF stand no chance. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MichiganHero" data-cite="MichiganHero" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29462" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Comrade, keep Terry at this. May it be a seperate game or what not, but the world must know of the power that is APWF. Puny Capitalistic SWF stand no chance. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's tempting, and it'd be amusing, but... no, I'm not gonna "cheat" in my APWF game. Too much awesomeness has happened in it to taint it. And if I ever really, really, really want to... well, he'll ALWAYS have that potential in him.</p><p> </p><p> I have to say, the A* aerial is the most amusing stat. As a Middleweight, roid-induced powerhouse, it'd be hilarious to suddenly see Lambert busting out with the most innovative high flying moves the world has ever seen. He could military press a Heavyweight clear out of the ring, and then hit some sorta diving or springboard shooting star press over the top rop and down to ringside!</p><p> </p><p> Maybe he'll find a reason to step down as owner, have Franco take back control, and then I can send him to developmental. Wonder if him getting busted with some coke and hookers would do the trick...</p>

<p>yeah Terry has his potential set to excellent. Ive had a game where he ended up better than that.</p><p> </p><p>

I guess its possible to just stick them in development for a few years and that would be the result? Im not really sure.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Donners" data-cite="Donners" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29462" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Sorry, I am undoubtedly missing something obvious here, but what is the "fulfil potential narrative"?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's an event that can be set up to occur at some pre-specified point during the game. The worker in question will have their skills jump to the highest level they can reach, according to their potential and their destiny. This can lead to ridiculous jumps, depending on how skilled the worker was before - see the above screenshot of Terry Lambert.</p>

Archived