Monday Night Mayhem: WCW On the Rise (Sep 1995 Mod)

I thought for the hell of it I'd try a diary game. I've never done one before, and I figure maybe it will get me to put more effort into my game. I chose to start at the first Nitro. I will likely do a lot of things at first that really did happen, but I'll tweak them as I see fit, or how I'd like to see them happen. I'm not good with describing matches or writing out promos for everyone, so I won't do that, unless I happen to come up with something. Bear with me! Here goes....

In a shocking move, WCW head booker Eric Bischoff agreed to step down from his position, with reasons cited as it being too much of a job for one person. Bischoff will remain with the company as a driving force of creative, but booking duties have been handed over to the one and only Jim Crockett Jr.

Crockett is said to be pleased at finally regaining control of what was once a family business for the Crocketts.

Crockett said in an exclusive interview:

"I have tremendous plans for World Championship Wrestling. Thanks to Eric Bischoff's negotiations with owner Ted Turner, we have gotten the green light to debut a brand new program to move forward in the wrestling world. No longer will WCW be a Saturday Night exclusive. A new era is upon us as we plan to go head to head with World Wrestling Federation's flagship program, Monday Night Raw, with Monday Nitro.

"Consider this a declaration of war, McMahon. It's our turn. Our time is now!"

Former head booker Eric Bischoff had this to say:

"It's a bit nervewracking, running such a big company with basically no prior experience in the wrestling business. I produce TV. I'm not a sports promoter. What we have here is a little of both, but that doesn't mean I can do it myself. I shouldn't, it's not fair to the fans and it's not even fair to me, because there's a lot of pressure from the higher-ups to excel as a promotion.

"I decided stepping down was the smart thing to do for everyone. Thankfully, Mr Tuner shares the same vision as myself and Mr Crockett, so my decision has his full support. When considering a candidate for the position, we both asked ourselves, "who better than a Crockett?"

"It's not going to be an overnight thing. It's not easy to challenge a company with such a solid brand, but we can do it. It may be a while from now, but the day we win a ratings battle--even if it's just for one day--will be one big success for WCW. And from there, we will keep going until we're winning every week.

"If things go our way, and we become the top dogs in the sport, well who knows--maybe you'll see a Diesel vs Hogan main event, title versus title, live on Nitro in a few years. You won't see something like that on Raw.

"With age comes wisdom, and there's a lot I can learn from Crockett. But I'm also going to prove the old adage false: you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. We're coming to your backyard, McMahon. Monday Nitro debuts in New England next week. WCW is looking to the future and will start by touring college campus arenas. Our first stop is the University of Massachusetts, and we'll see where we can go from there."

WWF Chairman Vince McMahon could not be reached for comments.

Card Navigation

Chronological

September 1995

Monday Nitro - Week 1

Saturday Night - Week 1

Monday Nitro - Week 2

Saturday Night - Week 2

Monday Nitro - Week 3

Saturday Night - Week 3

Fall Brawl 1995

Monday Nitro - Week 4

Saturday Night - Week 4

October 1995

Monday Nitro - Week 1

Saturday Night - Week 1

Monday Nitro - Week 2

Saturday Night - Week 2

Monday Nitro - Week 3

Saturday Night - Week 3

Monday Nitro - Week 4

Saturday Night - Week 4

Halloween Havoc 1995

November 1995

Monday Nitro - Week 1

Saturday Night - Week 1

Monday Nitro - Week 2

Saturday Night - Week 2

Monday Nitro - Week 3

Saturday Night - Week 3

World War 3 1995

Monday Nitro - Week 4

Saturday Night - Week 4

December 1995

Monday Nitro - Week 1

Thunder - Week 1

Saturday Night - Week 1

Monday Nitro - Week 2

Thunder - Week 2

Saturday Night - Week 2

Starrcade 1995

Monday Nitro - Week 3

Thunder - Week 3

Saturday Night - Week 3

Monday Nitro - Week 4

Thunder - Week 4

Saturday Night - Week 4

January 1996

Monday Nitro - Week 1

Thunder - Week 1

Saturday Night - Week 1

Monday Nitro - Week 2

Thunder - Week 2

Saturday Night - Week 2

Souled Out 1996

Monday Nitro - Week 3

Thunder - Week 3

Saturday Night - Week 3

Monday Nitro - Week 4

Clash of the Champions XXXII

Thunder - Week 4

Saturday Night - Week 4

Supercards:

Fall Brawl 1995

Halloween Havoc 1995

Brian Pillman Memorial Nitro

World War 3 1995

Starrcade 1995

Souled Out 1996

Clash of the Champions XXXII

SuperBrawl VI

Uncensored 1996

Spring Stampede 1996

Slamboree 1996

Great American Bash 1996

Bash at the Beach 1996

Clash of the Champions XXXVIII

Hog Wild 1996

Fall Brawl 1996

Halloween Havoc 1996

World War 3 1996

Starrcade 1996

InternationalObjects.com Almanac

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monday Nitro - PREMIERE

Monday, Week 1, September 1995

Hosts: Gene Okerlund & Bobby Heenan

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Eric Bischoff, & Dusty Rhodes

Mullins Center, New England (9,473)

Preshow:

A new stable seems to have formed, as Mark Madden interviews Lt James Earl Wright, Sgt Buddy Lee Parker, and Sgt Craig Pittman. Col Robert Parker appears to be taking them on as new clients. (E+)

The American Males def. Men at Work (7:27) (D-)

Main Show:

Schiavone: Fans, welcome to the start of a new era, the debut of Monday Nitro!

Rhodes: Shower me with flowers, 'cause I'm flying like an eagle, on top of the world on this momentous occasion!

Bischoff: I was thinking the same thing, how about that! We're here in the heart of Massachusetts' youth at the University of Massachusetts' own Mullins Center. We've got a great show for you tonight, but first we have Bobby "The Brain" Heenan standing by with "Mean" Gene Okerlund. (D)

Okerlund: Folks, welcome to the first Monday Nitro, I'm here with Bobby "the Brain" Heenan who has something he'd like to get off his chest.

Heenan: It's a new era for WCW, and it's a new era for Bobby Heenan. We're going new school, but my services at the announce booth are no longer needed. To go new school, you have to go old school, and work with the fundamentals. I'm going back to what I do best: managing champions. You won't see me with hokey shmucks like Hulk Hogan, though, or cheesy flamboyant characters like Macho Man. For WCW to move ahead we've got to protect our best assets: the young stars of tomorrow. Okerlund, you know I've always liked working with Gorillas. But here's a guy who dwarfs them all, and will easily become the biggest star of tomorrow: The Giant.

Giant stares at the camera: HOGAN! I'm coming for you at Halloween Havoc... If you survive WAR GAMES! (B+)

Schiavone: There you have it, fans, Giant's challenged Hogan for his belt in October at Halloween Havoc. Being the fighting champion that Hogan is, you can bet that it's a done deal.

Rhodes: What it iiiiis is what it iiiis, but he'll have to make it out of War Games alive, first before he can be defiant with the Giant!

Bischoff: But first let's start the future off right with the first round of the tournament to crown the first ever WCW Cruiserweight Champion.

WCW Cruiserweight Championship Tournament

Round 1: Jushin "Thunder" Lyger vs Flyin' Brian

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Flyin' Brian defeated Jushin Liger in 12:11 by pinfall with an Air Pillman. (C+)

Flyin' Brian advances in the tournament to crown the first WCW Cruiserweight Champion.

WCW Television Championship

Diamond Dallas Page vs The Renegade ©

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Diamond Dallas Page defeated The Renegade in 7:38 by pinfall. Diamond Dallas Page wins the WCW World Television Championship title. (C-)

Mark Madden is backstage with the Dungeon of Doom, and The Taskmaster cuts a quick promo to hype War Games. ©

The First Nitro Main Event

Sting vs Ric Flair

In a superb bout that had great wrestling and a sizzling crowd, Sting drew with Ric Flair in a Classic match in 11:44 following a double count out. During the match we also had Arn Anderson run in and attack Ric Flair.

LEX LUGER runs in to save Flair from Arn, and shocks everyone in attendance. Arn escapes, and Flair looks a bit confused. He doesn't stick around for the reunion, but the fans are chanting FLAIR FLAIR FLAIR! Luger raises the Stinger's arm. Schiavone and Bischoff are shocked that Luger 'jumped ship' to WCW to kick off the new era.

Final grade: B

http://www.f4wonline.com/templates/f4w2007/images/logo2.gif

Wrestling Observer/Figure Four

• The debut of WCW's Monday Nitro program scored a 4.83 rating, ahead of last week's WWF Monday night Raw's rating of 4.66. Bischoff and co. should be pleased as it didn't take them long to achieve the goal set in his last interview. The true test is whether that was 'beginner's luck' to the Monday Night lineup, or if the planets can align for Turner's minions on a weekly basis.
  • WWF's taping of Monday Night Raw drew a sell-out crowd at the FleetCenter in Boston, Massachusetts, despite WCW drawing 9400 people in the same state the night before. The show was said to be rather average, but we'll see how the ratings turn out.
  • The new-old regime is reportedly unimpressed with The Renegade, which explains the immediate title change to Diamond Dallas Page on Nitro. Initial plans were a Fall Brawl pairing with Page still going over, but Crockett is adamant about Monday being the Renegade first and last Nitro. See you Saturday night, Rick.
  • What you didn't see on Nitro: WCW pairing together anyone with a military name. Go figure. We'll have to see how it turns out, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who's going to tune in to see Buddy Lee Parker.
  • Management has extended a proverbial olive branch to hostile promotion ECW. Owner Paul Heyman has declined, citing a desire to see Eric Bischoff 'burn in hell.'
  • ECW has been 'trimming the fat,' with surprising releases including 911, Bill Alfonso, and John Finnegan.
  • Smoky Mountain Wrestling has also declined an offer from WCW to become a development territory. WCW is actively looking for a reliable location to train the stars of tomorrow.
  • Management is impressed with Jushin Liger, and will be resigning him to another contract on a per-appearance basis so he can continue working dates for New Japan Pro Wrestling.
  • Fuerza Guerrera, Juventud, and Vellano V have won AAA's Mexican National Trios Championship. Blue Panther has dropped the Mexican National Middleweight Championship to Octagon, starting his third reign.
  • WCW has signed WAR wrestler Chris Jericho to a short term deal for a tryout match, and has reportedly offered a similar limited appearance deal to BCW wrestler Adam Copeland.
  • Over six different companies have attempted to sign Dory Funk Jr to a deal, and ECW came out on top. WCW is considering signing him out of spite for ECW.
  • Sabu has signed a per-appearance deal with ECW, and WCW is not happy at all. It is rumored that Bischoff's hostility has been placated by Crockett reminding him that additional exposure and 'practice' for WCW workers is a good thing in the long run.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/SaturdayNight.jpg

Saturday, Week 1, September 1995 (Taped Thursday)

Burr Gymnasium, Washington D.C.

Preshow

Alex Wright def. Chris Jericho (WCW event debut)

In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Alex Wright defeated Chris Jericho in 7:02 by submission with a STF. (C-)

Gene Okerlund interviews Alex Wright on his win. Wright puts over Jericho as a good competitor and that he hopes to face him again.©

Main Show

Jim Crockett Jr, Mike Tenay, and Eddie Guerrero open the show from the announcers' table. (D)

Gene Okerlund interviews The Taskmaster, with Shark, Meng, and Zodiac nearby to hype Fall Brawl. (C+)

Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage are in the ring, also hyping the War Games main event. (A)

Corporal Punishment def. The Nasty Boys (7:41)

...in an unexpected, out of the blue upset by way of roll up pinfall. In this match we see Sgt Buddy Lee Parker and Sgt Craig Pittman debut as a tag team. (D+)

Mark Madden is backstage and catches Corporal Punishment on their way to the back for an interview. Colonel Robert Parker grabs the microphone and hypes the group. Lt James Earl Wright is also present. (C-)

Also backstage is The Giant with Bobby Heenan, who cut a promo hyping Giant's match with Hulk Hogan in October. Giant insinuates that facing Hogan will be a walk in the park, and he's not worried at all. (B)

Eddie Guerrero hesitantly leaves the announce booth as he's booked in a match.

The Dungeon of Doom (Bubba, Meng, Zodiac) def. Liger, Guerrero, & Cobra. (7:53)

An average squash match, but working with great workers made Meng and Zodiac shine. (D+)

Gene Okerlund interviews Flyin' Brian on his progress in the cruiserweight title tournament.

"Well, Gene, I had a great match with Liger on the debut of Monday Nitro, and the greatness will continue. I'd like to face Liger again in the future, too. When he's done losing to chumps like Zodiac, he can give me a call when he wants a real star--and soon to be champion--to teach him the ropes."

Arn Anderson def. Hugh Morrus (7:59)

Short but solid match. Anderson wins by pinfall after a vicious spinebuster.©

Arn Anderson: Flair, I've been your best friend for so many years, but I'm tired of walking in your footprints. Look what I did to this joke of a man right here. It pales in comparison to what I'll do to you at Fall Brawl. It's been a long time coming, but finally, I'll get what I deserve, and you will too. (B)

Lex Luger music video! It's official! Lex Luger is a member of the World Championship Wrestling roster! (B+)

Shark def. The Renegade (7:44)

In a real stinker of a match, Shark beat the Renegade by pinfall with an Earthquake Splash. (D+)

Lex Luger def. Dean Malenko (11:40)

Lex returns to WCW as an in-ring competitor, and his first opponent is Dean Malenko. Malenko isn't one to quit, but Luger's size and power are no match for the Man of 1000 Holds. Luger wins by submission with the Torture Rack. (C+)

The Dungeon of Doom ends the celebration by rushing the ring and attacking Luger. In a matter of seconds, the cavalry rushes in, as Hogan, Sting, and Savage save Lex, who is assumed to have become the fourth member of the Hulkamaniacs at War Games. (B-)

Overall rating: C+

http://www.pwtorch.com/PWTorchGraphics/PWTorchLogo2010greygreySLOGAN250.jpg

• WCW is said to be looking to bolster their roster with young cruiserweight talent, possibly hiring new workers to debut in losing bouts in the cruiserweight tournament.
  • ECW debuted their new "Hollyweird" annual event with a sellout in Mississippi Coliseum. Terry Funk was said to have been the star of the show, but not even Funk could save ECW from producing a supposedly underwhelming effort.
  • Dick Murdoch has announced his retirement. He is not currently not working for any companies.
  • Two title changes occurred yet again for AAA at El Extremo Esta Cerca. Villiano IV is the new Americas Heavyweight Champion, and Volador won the Mexican National Heavyweight title. Both titles were formerly vacant.
  • CMLL crowned a new NWA World Middleweight Champion as El Hijo Del Santo defeated Hector Garza to become the new champion.
  • WCW Saturday Night drew a 0.41 rating this week.
  • An unnamed source claims that the current plan for WCW is to go full-force with making Monday Nitro the flagship program. That distinction formerly belonged to WCW Saturday Night, but it will from now on be a B-show and is likely to be shortened to an hour. No word yet on if WCW will try to expand the Nitro broadcast to greater lengths.
  • WCW Executives are not too high on Slater & Bunkhouse Buck and are in discussion of new directions for the tag team division. Crockett is rumored to have been in negotiations with a team of two brothers who have a lot of experience as a tag team, but it's unclear who that team is.
  • NWA New Jersey has declined WCW's approach to make them a developmental territory. If WCW is serious about having a future, they might as well open their own developmental company.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/nitro.jpg

Monday, Week 2, September 1995

Host: Gene Okerlund

Hale Arena at Kansas City, Missouri (5,000)

Preshow:

The American Males cut a promo on Corporal Punishment, confident about their upcoming match. (C-)

The American Males def. Corporal Punishment in a solid match, but the crowd still isn't too accepting of Corporal Punishment. (D)

Mark Madden with the post-match interview with Col. Parker and Co. The Colonel states that no one becomes a general overnight, and Corporal Punishment has a lot of training and hard work ahead of them. (D)

Main Show:

Schiavone: Fans, welcome to the second broadcast of Monday Nitro! We're LIVE on TNT at a capacity crowd at the Hale Arena.

Bischoff: Don't change that channel: You're not going to miss much if you keep it tuned to NITRO all night. Unless you want to see a Yokozuna/Diesel match. Yoko wins, you're welcome. We've got the opening rounds of the Cruiserweight title tournament here on Nitro!

Rhodes: Oooh, the future is now, baby!

Schiavone: All of that in a few minutes, but first we have "Mean" Gene Okerlund standing by with Mr Hulkamania himself. Gene? ©

Okerlund: Thank you, Tony. I'm here with the one and only Hulk Hogan. Say Hulkster, what do you think about the Cruiserweight tournament?

Hogan: Let me tell you something, brother. The Hulkster approves. Anything to get fresh life into this business. Hulkamania's running wild but there will come a time where taking vitamins and saying prayers just won't be enough to keep the Hulkster at the top of the game. These guys are the future. But the Hulkster is the present, and doesn't even need to take vitamins to be in top form against the Dungeon of Doom.

Okerlund: Well put, Hulk. On with the tournament! (B)

Chris Jericho def. Alex Wright in a shocking upset victory to advance in the tournament. (D)

Johnny B Badd def. Sabu in a competative bout to advance in the tournament.(8:24) (C-)

Johnny B Badd: Let's move this right along. Chris Jericho, get out here and let's get our match out of the way. I'm not worried about you, you're not even under contract.

Chris Jericho and Johnny B Badd fight to a time limit draw. Johnny B Badd looks furious, expecting to put Jericho away quickly. No winner is determined, and it looks like a rematch will happen very soon to determine who advances in the tournament. (10:00) (C-)

Jim Crockett Jr announces that a rematch will take place on WCW Saturday Night.

"Join Mike Tenay and I as we call this match and other opening round matches of the tournament on WCW Saturday Night!" (D+)

Sting & Lex Luger def. Harlem Heat (11:32). (C+)

During the match, Shark and Meng appeared at the entrance, distracting Luger and Sting. Harlem Heat nearly took advantage of the distraction to gain an upset, but Luger snuck in a low blow to set up a Torture Rack victory. Sting didn't see it, but the fans did.

Post Show:

The Mega Powers def. The Blue Bloods (8:31) ©

Overall rating: C

Updated Cruiserweight Championship Tournament Bracket

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/bracket2.jpg

• Lightning didn't strike the same place twice, as WWF regained their footing in the ratings after a single week. Raw scored a 4.81, and Nitro scored a 4.66. Saturday's WCW Saturday Night broadcast scored an 0.41. This Saturday's show will be 1.5 hours as opposed to the usual 2 hour broadcast. Executives are trying hard to push for more time on Nitro's slot, promising higher ratings on a bigger time slot with time for a developing product.
  • WCW is still in negotiations with new cruiserweight talent. Sean Waltman has been contacted; he is currently under a per appearance agreement with both WWF and--most recently--ECW. One deal has been confirmed but will not ensure availability for seven days, meaning a rescheduling of tournament matches may be necessary. More news on this acquisition to follow. Four other names are confirmed to be making their debut on WCW Saturday Night.
  • Looking to make good use of the working agreement in effect with New Japan Pro Wrestling, WCW is rumored to be considering reviving the WCW/NJPW Supershow. For those who are not familiar, the Supershow was a short-lived annual mega-event that was a joint production between WCW and NPJW, as you might expect. After successful ventures in 1991, 1992, and 1993, the event went on hiatus, so to speak. January will be here before we know it, so it's possible WCW will be planting the seeds to this soon.
  • Mascara Sagrada defeated La Parka for the Mexican National Light Heavyweight Championship in the main event of AAA's recent AAA In Hidalgo event.
  • WCW reached out to yet another small promotion with an offer to become the developmental territory for WCW: USWA. Owner Jerry Jarrett declined, and the Turner Troops are sent back to the drawing board.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/SaturdayNight.jpg

Saturday, Week 2, September 1995 (Taped Thursday)

Agora Theatre, Cleveland, Ohio

Announcers: Jim Crockett Jr, Mike Tenay, Steve McMichael

Preshow:

Bunkhouse Buck and Dick Slater def. The Nasty Boys (8:25) (C-)

Colonel Robert Parker hypes the upcoming matchup between Corporal Punishment and the American Males. (C-)

Main Show:

Eddy Guerrero def. Damon Stryker (WCW debut) in a solid match. (D)

Striker's performance suffered due being unknown in the area, and the pressures of debuting for such a large company. Eddie Guerrero advances in the Cruiserweight title tournament.

Rey Mysterio Jr def. James Maritato (double debut) in a match that left quite a bit to be desired. (7:01) (E+) Rey Mysterio Jr advances in the tournament.

Dean Malenko def. Santo Christo (WCW debut) in a solid match (7:17) via a submission win with the Texas Cloverleaf. (D+) Dean Malenko advances and will face Rey Mysterio Jr later tonight in the quarter final bracket.

Johnny B Badd and Chris Jericho drew to a time limit draw (10:00) yet again. ©

Okerlund gets Johnny B Badd's thoughts after the match:

"This isn't over. I didn't lose. I'm still in the tournament, and I'll take it up with management if I have to. That kid's a hell of a competitor, and I still can't believe he's taken me to the limit on two separate occasions. Being able to survive isn't the same as outlasting, which is exactly what I'll do. Third time's a charm, Jericho. They don't call me Badd for nothing." ©

Disco Inferno def. Earl Robert Eaton in an average match (7:10) by way of disqualification. Lord Steven Regal was involved and played a big role in the outcome of this match. (D+) Disco Inferno advances to face Flyin Bryan in the quarter finals.

Okerlund interviews Eric Bischoff:

"Chris Jericho is a fantastic competitor, and quite frankly he's shocking us all by standing toe to toe with the Badd man himself. Johnny B Badd is right, though. He didn't lose. And to be fair, Disco Inferno didn't exactly earn his win, either. Here's what we're going to do. If Chris and Johnny can't result in a decision, we're going to need to throw a few 'variables' into the mix. Therefore, the quarter final and semi final round will be combined into a four-way-dance at Fall Brawl, with the winner advancing to the finals. I have discussed the matter with Mr Crockett and he agrees that it's a fair decision." (C-)

Rey Mysterio Jr music video (E-)

Okerlund interviews Chris Jericho:

"I'm fine with that. I'm here to compete, and I don't care who it's against, whether it's Fryin' Biron, the Dancing Dummy, or Tutti Fruti himself. Three men or thirty men, it doesn't matter. I'm here to win, and I've got my eyes on that Cruiserweight championship." (C-)

Dean Malenko def. Rey Mysterio Jr by submission to advance to the semi-finals in a solid match (11:09). (C-)

Malenko shakes Mysterio's hand after. (E+)

Post Show:

Lord Steven Regal def. Alex Wright by submission with the Regal Stretch (8:43). (D+)

Overall Rating: D+

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/bracket3.jpg

im a reader

Yay! Any thoughts so far? I'm very new to this, but I'm enjoying it so far.

• WCW newcomer Rey Mysterio Jr was put in an odd position of having TWO matches on the night of his debut. His actual debut was garbage, but fortunately the second one was solid. However, Mysterio suffered from fatigue and isn't cut out for marathon wrestling nights just yet.
  • WCW Saturday Night scored an 0.38 rating this week on TBS.
  • Mark Madden's contract expired quietly over the weekend.
  • No one seems to know who the masked "Santo Christo" wrestler is, but his debut was impressive.
  • Yet another title changed hands in AAA, as Cien Caras won the vacant Mexican National Welterweight Championship. All AAA championships have titleholders now.
  • Eric Bischoff is said to be very persuasive in continuing his hostile feelings for ECW, and has convinced Jim Crockett Jr to send an offer to rookie wrestler Rob Szatkoswki, a mere day after he signed an appearance based deal with ECW.
  • The Bear and Martel have defeated Grizzly and Price for the CWA Tag Belts at 'Kings of Spandex.'
  • ECW World Heavyweight Champion The Sandman has left ECW. It is said to be unrelated to his same-day signing to All Star Wrestling, but it's a shock to ECW's system, having their world champion leave unexpectedly. No word yet on Paul Heyman's plans for a new champion.
  • Surprisingly, Taz has also left ECW, but for CWA. It's possible that the loss of Taz and Sandman have to do with contract disputes and financial issues, but nothing is confirmed yet.
  • Blue Demon Jr has captured CMLL's previously vacant NWA World Welterweight Championship.
  • Frustration is building in WCW's corporate offices as a developmental offer is declined by yet another promotion: AWF.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/nitro.jpg

Monday, Week 3, September 1995

San Jose Event Center (5,000)

Preshow:

Earl Robert Eaton def. James Maritato by pinfall after an Alabama Jam (6:39). (D)

Lord Steven Regal challenges Alex Wright to a match to open Nitro. (D+)

Lord Steven Regal def. Joey Maggs in a quick warmup match (5:48). (D)

Main Show:

Lord Steven Regal def. Alex Wright in a pretty solid match. (9:09) (C+)

Diamond Dallas Page def. Jushin Liger to retain the WCW TV title in a solid matchup. (7:46) (C+)

After the match, Liger held up a finger, as if to say "one more time," and pointed to the Fall Brawl banner in the arena. DDP nodded, grinned, and left through the crowd.

Johnny B Badd comes out to hype the cruiserweight tournament.

"Jericho, I don't have a problem with facing you in a four way match at Fall Brawl. It'll be nothing but a speedbump on the road to championship gold. I can beat anyone in that match at any time, easily, but I've got a goal in mind. I'll be focused on pinning your shoulders to the mat, because winning won't be enough. YOU have to LOSE for ME TO WIN, Jericho."

Jericho comes out to respond: "Well that's fine, Junior. Except you've proven time and time again that unless there's no time limit, you can't beat anyone. You've wrestled countless matches and been the TV champion a few times. That's respectable. I've wrestled two matches in WCW so far--both against you. You can't beat a rookie? How far you have fallen. Your final fall will be this Sunday. Do yourself a favor, pack up the 'Badd Blaster,' and go home." (C-)

#1 Contenders' Match for

WCW Tag Team Championship

Harlem Heat def. The Nasty Boys by pinfall after a Heat Seeker (8:50). ©

Harlem Heat show a change of heart after a hard fought victory and celebrate with the Nasty Boys. © Booker T and Stevie Ray get a great ovation from the crowd, quite a contrast from the boos during their entrances. ©

Arn Anderson def. Rey Mysterio Jr after a DDT (7:52). © Mysterio is knocked unconscious.

Arn Anderson cuts a promo on Ric Flair.

"Once again, Flair. Look what I did to this kid. This pales in comparison to what I'll do to you. Forget your jets, limousines, and your wheelin' and dealin'. No amount of money or women will take away the pain I'll inflict on you at Fall Brawl."

Arn delivers a Spinebuster to Rey Mysterio Jr and walks out. (B+)

Okerlund interviews Hulk Hogan. Sting, Luger, and Savage are nearby. (B+)

Okerlund: I'm surprised the Dungeon of Doom aren't circling the carnage in the ring like the vultures they are.

Hogan: Well ya know somethin', "Mean" Gene, you're absolutely right, that's exactly what they are. Vultures. Vultures wait for you to be sick and vulnerable before preying on you. Just like The Taskmaster's henchmen do during our matches. They don't come for us when we're at 100%, brother. Oh, no. The Taskmaster doesn't believe in a fair fight, but whether he likes it or not, a fair fight is up next. Let's go Randy. Sting and Luger have our back if needed." (B+)

Big Bubba Rogers and Meng def. Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage in an exciting match (8:54) that ended by pinfall and a little bit of 'help.' The Taskmaster, Kamala, and Zodiac all ran in to distract and attack Hogan, and Bubba used a foreign object on Savage while the referee's back was turned. (B)

Sting and Luger hit the ring to save Hogan and Savage from a beatdown by the Dungeon of Doom. (B)

Post Show:

The American Males def. Corporal Punishment in a match that was solid, but was a dud in the eyes of the fans. (7:27) (E+)

Overall rating: C+

• A Monday Nitro backstage source tells us that Arn Anderson has taken Sgt Buddy Lee parker 'under his wing,' no pun intended. Ever since the two were reportedly spotted discovering a common interest in ornothology, Anderson has been giving suggestions to Crockett with ways to utilize Parker.
  • Steven Regal and backstage writers and agents are reportedly excited to setting up a program for Alex Wright and Regal. After their Saturday Night and Nitro bouts, it's apparent that their styles work together very well and result in great matches.
  • Tracy Smothers has captured the SMW Beat the Champ Television title from Bobby Blaze.
  • Scott Steiner has captured the ECW World Heavyweight Championship, which was vacated after Sandman's shocking departure from the company. Steiner defeated Cactus Jack in this week's Hardcore TV main event to win the belt.
  • WCW's plans of toppling wrestling giant WWF are being thwarted, so to speak, as WWF has risen to global status as a company.
  • WCW star John "Shark" Tenta was rushed to the hospital on Wednesday night after a drug overdose. Tenta is recovering but will be out of action for a few months. It is assumed that Bubba Rogers will replace Tenta in the upcoming War Games cage match on Sunday. No news on what sort of action WCW will take on the matter, but damage control is an obvious necessity.

Saturday, Week 3, September 1995 (Taped Thursday)

Mobile Civis Center, Mobile, Alabama

Announcers: Jim Crockett Jr, Mike Tenay, Steve McMichael

Preshow:

Jushin Liger and Diamond Dallas Page drew to a no contest (9:01) when things got out of control and the referee threw the match out. (C+)

Main Show:

Psicosis def. Banzai (double debut match!) in a real stinker of a match (6:09) with a flying legdrop. (D-) Psicosis advances to face Eddie Guerrero later tonight.

Okerlund is backstage with Chris Jericho.

"You know what I did yesterday, Mean Machine? I went furniture shopping. I bought a brand new endtable for my living room, so that I would have a place to put the Cruiserweight Championship after this Sunday. I bought an extra gym bag so I can keep it nice and shiny when I'm traveling. I bought a nice plaque to hang it on when I'm sleeping. I changed my mind on that one, though, Gene. You know why? Because I'll still be wearing it when I'm sleeping. I'm going to win that title, Gene. And when I do, it's not coming off of my waist for a long time. There's nothing Johnny B Badd can do about it. I'd be happy to give him the first defense, actually. A title can't change hands in a time limit draw, and I know that's all he's good enough for." ©

Harlem Heat def. Corporal Punishment in a decent match (8:41) by pinfall after a Heat Seeker. (C-)

Harlem Heat cut a standard promo on Bunkhouse Buck & Dick Slater.

"We're coming for those belts, SUCKAS!" (C+)

Big Bubba Rogers and Meng def. The Nasty Boys (11:34) via pinfall after a Bubba Slam. ©

Eddy Guerrero def. Psicosis in a decent match (7:27) by pinfall after a Frog Splash. (C-) Eddy Guerrero advances to face Dean Malenko in the semi finals at Fall Brawl.

Dean Malenko cuts a promo backstage on the upcoming match.

"May the best man win." (C-)

Lord Steven Regal comes down to ringside to get a closer look at the next match. (D)

Arn Anderson def. Alex Wright by way of pinfall (10:52). ©

Anderson lays Wright out with a Spinebuster, and Flair hits the ring. The crowd erupts as Anderson and Flair are nose-to-nose. The locker room empties and separates the two before things get physical. (A)

Final rating: C

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/bracket4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/wcw-fall-brawl-war-games-1995-vhs-cover-art.jpg

WCW Fall Brawl 1995

War Games: The Match Beyond

Hogan, Savage, Sting, & Luger vs Meng, Big Bubba, Zodiac, & Kamala

Grudge Match

Arn Anderson vs Ric Flair

Dick Slater & Bunkhouse Buck vs Harlem Heat

WCW Cruiserweight Championship

Tournament Semi-Finals

Fatal Four-Way

Flyin Bryan vs Johnny B Badd vs Disco Inferno vs Chris Jericho

Tournament Semi-Finals

Eddie Guerrero vs Dean Malenko

Tournament Final

??? vs ???

Diamond Dallas Page © vs Jushin "Thunder" Liger

Lord Steven Regal vs Alex Wright

Make your predictions soon....the future is now!!

Chris Jericho versus Dean Malenko

• Japanese shoot promotion UWFi are on the brink of closure, facing steep financial difficulties. Maybe WCW could consider a develeopmental territory in Japan?
  • Recent title changes: David Sammartino won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship from Dan Severn. Tom Prichard defeated Lance Diamond for the ECWA Heavyweight Championship. Blacktop Bully and Nightstalker have won the vacant PWA Tag Team Championship belts.
  • WCW wishes John Tenta the best in his future endeavours, as they released "Shark" as part of a damage control effort after a drug overdose. WCW does not currently have a drug policy in effect, but will release workers if their own well-being is in danger. Head booker Jim Crockett Jr says that Tenta is welcome back if he cleans up first.
  • WCW debuted another masked wrestler on WCW Saturday Night. Nothing is known about the young Japanese worker and he will probably be sent to development, as soon as WCW gets a developmental territory, that is.
  • WWF has signed Ultimate Warrior for one more run. When asked why WCW didn't make any attempts to sign Warrior for a big-money Hogan showdown, Creative Advisor Eric Bischoff said, "we're a wrestling company, not live action Looney Tunes. We're looking to stray away from cartoon characters in the upcoming years, and if McMahon wants to be the ACME of wrestling, so be it. We're not interested."
  • WCW Saturday Night drew an 0.40 rating.
  • WCW's latest acquisitions, the rumored unnamed wrestling 'brothers,' are expected to debut on Sunday's Fall Brawl pay-per view event.

Fall Brawl Live Reporting:
  • Fall Brawl is SOLD OUT at the Cow Palace in Daly City, California tonight. 15,000 fans are eagerly anticipating the first match. Let's just hope that match doesn't involve Corporal Punishment.
  • Backstage reports at Fall Brawl indicate that there are mixed feeling's on former WCW star John Tenta's drug overdose. Some seem to be using it as a way to be optimistic and thankful for their health, and some are disappointed that World Championship Wrestling terminated their co-worker when he clearly needs help. Others are not perturbed by the news and are distracted by the video game tournament organized by Curtis Iaukea.
  • Still no word on the mystery brothers; it's currently kept tight under wraps until the show kicks off.

Chris Jericho versus Eddie Guerrero

Note: the first time I ran this card, the game complained to me that the fans didn't want to see angles...but every PPV has angle segments no matter how short they are. So I am writing them here as I imagine them happening but not figuring them into my game unless it's a major angle, but unfortunately the ratings are lower than they should be for that reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/wcw-fall-brawl-war-games-1995-vhs-cover-art.jpg

WCW Fall Brawl 1995

The Cow Palace, Daly City, California (15,000)

Host: Gene Okerlund & Bobby Heenan

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Eric Bischoff, Dusty Rhodes

Preshow:

The American Males def. Damon Stryker and James Maritato (6:58) (D)

Shiavone: Fans we are LIVE at the sold out Cow Palace in Daly City tonight for Fall Brawl, home of the WAR GAMES!

Bischoff: That's right Tony, we've got a packed card tonight with high flying cruiserweight action, tag team action, a legends' grudge match, and caged warfare featuring the hottest stars in professional wrestling.

Rhodes: You know the old adage that the Nature Boy used to use, "two man enter, one man leaves." Well multiply that by for tonight because when you've got the Hulkamaniacs entering that cage, you're not gettin' out alive.

Schiavone: That's right Dusty, but it's going to be a hellacious war, regardless, as the Dungeon of Doom won't go down without a fight. Speaking of fights, we've got Gene Okerlund standing by with Bobby "The Brain" Heenan.

Okerlund: Thank you Tony. I thought you were done with the announcing schtick, Weasel?

Heenan: The Giant's taken the night off, but that doesn't mean I'm going to. WCW needs me! Every single person in attendance would feel cheated if I weren't here tonight. They all came to see me. You heard that, right?

Okerlund: Yeah, they're about as excited to see you as the Dungeon of Doom will be when they see Hulk Hogan coming after them.

Heenan: Very funny, Okerlund. Let's leave the jokes to me. The Dungeon of Doom aren't stupid, though. They know what they're doing, and they won't go down easily. The Hulkamaniacs are in for a LONG night, and the Giant's going to love every second of it as he watches from home.

Tournament Semi-Finals

Fatal Four-Way

Flyin Bryan vs Johnny B Badd vs

Disco Inferno vs Chris Jericho

Johnny B Badd and Chris Jericho immediately pair off and go to work on each other, and Flyin' Bryan and Disco Inferno square off. It's still a four-way, though, and all of the competitors mix it up, but Jericho and Johnny seem to be more focused on eachother than winning the match. Eventually the action spills to ringside, and Bryan pins Disco Inferno to advance in the tournament.(11:56) (C+)

Jericho and Johnny continue brawling and don't even realize the match has ended until they are broken apart by Jerry Sags and Brian Knobbs. Bryan advances, but the war between Johnny and Jericho is just beginning.

Unannounced Match

In a match originally booked for the pre-show, V.K. Wallstreet def. Rey Mysterio Jr. (6:42) (C+)

Another great showing by these two fine competitors. Diamond Dallas Page pulls a fast one by using the ropes for leverage. (10:34) ©

Liger tries to tell the ref, but Page has already snuck out through the crowd with the WCW Television Championship still in tow.

STILL WCW Television Champion: Diamond Dallas Page

Harlem Heat win the tag belts cleanly via pinfall. Slater and Buck tried all of the tricks in the book but the speed of Booker T and the power of Stevie Ray were no match for them. Buck and Slater leave, and Harlem Heat celebrates in the ring with Sister Sherri. The lights go out! (11:31) (C+)

NEW WCW Tag Team Champions: Harlem Heat

The lights go back on and Harlem Heat is layed out. Terry and Dory Funk stand in each of the two ring, swinging bullropes above their heads. Sherri shrieks and goes to slap Terry, but he catches her arm. The Funks hogtie Sherri Martel and grab a microphone!

Terry: Youth movement? I've got your youth movement right here. These guys know nothing about what it takes to be a champion. Third time's a charm, right guys? Dory and I never won the WCW Tag Team titles, and it's a shame, because we know more about tag team wrestling than this entire roster combined. I've taken ****s that have more wrestling ability than you, Harlem Heat! I was going to retire, but I can't sit and watch this happen.

Harlem Heat awaken and attack the Funks, but the brawl is quickly broken up by Jerry Sags and Brian Knobbs, who rush to the ring once again. (C-)

Tournament Semi-Finals

Guerrero and Malenko put on a wrestling clinic and steal the show. It's an emotional roller coaster, and the fans don't know who will come out on top, but finally, it's Eddie. Guerrero hits the Frog Splash--no, wait, Malenko rolled out of the way! He's got the legs! Texas Cloverleaf! Malenko advances to face Flyin' Brian for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship! (09:36) (C+)

The crowd cheers for Malenko after he accepts Eddy's handshake, there's mutual respect after that great bout.

Regal and Wright put on the second wrestling clinic of the night in an even match-up. Regal hooks the tights and gets the win over Wright. Wright looks upset but realizes Regal did what he had to do, so he extends his hand. Regal walks away from the handshake offer, and Wright looks angry. (10:19) (C+)

Grudge Match

Flair and Anderson fought in what should really be called a brawl than a wrestling match. Both men ended up bloodied, and Anderson shocked the capacity crowd by gaining the pinfall victory after catapulting Flair onto an exposed turnbuckle. (15:35) (B+)

Afterwards, Flair grabs the microphone.

"Really, Arn? You call yourself a man, damn it? You beat me with a roll-up. You beat me after exposing the turnbuckle. Try beating me in the middle of the ring, no tricks, no gimmicks. Halloween Havoc...one more time. Look at me...look at me. LOOK. AT. ME! This blood, and the blood from your own forehead there... Nothing. You'll bleed GALLONS at Halloween Havoc, PAL, or my name ain't the NATURE BOY. Wooooooo." (B)

Tournament Final

Flyin' Brian vs Dean Malenko

Tons of near-falls in this match. The crowd was behind Malenko every time he put the Texas Cloverleaf on Brian, but Brian gained a little bit of respect from the fans in attendance every time he broke out of it, got to the ropes, or flat-out wouldn't quit. Malenko, starting to get frustrated, started to lose focus, leading to Brian getting the win after an Air Pillman. (16:11) (B-)

The two celebrated after the match under a display of pyrotechnics. The crowd is fully behind the new champion.

NEW WCW Cruiserweight Champion: Flyin' Brian

A Hulkamaniacs hype video plays while the ring crew sets up the WarGames cage. (B)

War Games: The Match Beyond

Hogan, Savage, Sting, & Luger

vs

Meng, Big Bubba, Zodiac, & Kamala

Randy Savage and Meng started the match and brawled across both rings. Meng for the most part overpowered Savage, throwing him into cage wall after cage wall. The beating continued, as the clock counted down. However, Savage would not be saved. Kamala was next to enter, much to the crowd's dismay, as the Dungeon of Doom won the coin toss to receive the one-man advantage. The two man team mercilessly pummeled Randy some more, until Lex Luger entered the cage. The crowd roared for the Total Package as he cleaned house on the two savages, coming to the aid of the fallen Randy Savage.

This would not last for long, though, as the Zodiac soon entered the fray, giving the Dungeon of Doom the advantage once more. Despite the handicap against the two Hulkamaniacs in the ring, Savage and Luger managed to fight back enough and inflict enough damage to Meng, making him the first to bleed in the hellacious bout.

The crowd roared yet again, as Sting evened the odds. Sting and co. had everything under control. Luger hoisted Zodiac to his shoulders for a Torture Rack. Sting had Kamala firmly immobile in the Scorpion Deathlock, and Savage was climbing to the top rope to land a Big Elbow on the Meng.

Things fell apart, though, as Big Bubba climbed into the cage, knocking Savage from position, and catching both Sting and Luger with consecutive Sidewalk Slams.

Not before long, Sting became bloodied after repeatedly being used as a battering ram into the side of the cage right in front of Hogan, who anxiously awaited the timer to run out. When it did, the crowd popped as the Hulkster stormed the ring to even the odds. The 'match beyond' was officially underway, and the two teams fought back and forth. Eventually, Savage won the match for his team by making Kamala quit. (23:03) (B)

The celebration didn't get to happen, however, as The Taskmaster entered the cage. Tossing pipe pieces to his henchmen, the Taskmaster orchestrated an attack on Hogan's crew that left even Hogan bloodied. After handcuffing Savage, Luger, and Sting to the ropes in the second ring, the Dungeon of Doom took turns punishing Hogan. There was a lot of commotion, as the fans looked towards the entrance ramp. The Giant stormed to the ring, and in a surprising moment, attacked each of the Dungeon of Doom members, who escaped from the cage as it was finally beginning to raise. Giant was face to face with the bloodied World Heavyweight Champion.

"I want you at 100% at Halloween Havoc. No excuses. I want to be the one to drive the stake through the heart of Hulkamania."

Security, along with the Nasty Boys, rushed to the ring to prevent physical altercations as the show went off the air. (C+)

Overall rating: B- (too many angles :()

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/IO.jpg

InternationalObjects.com pay-per-view report

and weekend wrestling happenings

• Recent title changes:
    'Flyin' Brian Pillman defeated Dean Malenko on Sunday at WCW Fall Brawl in the finals of a tournament for the vacant WCW Cruiserweight title. Also that night, Harlem Heat captured the WCW Tag belts. Brazo de Oro defeated El Pantera for the CMLL World Welterweight Championship. Apollo and Legend won the vacant BCW Can-Am Tag belts.
  • WCW bested WWF in September pay-per-view buyrates. Fall Brawl did a 3.38, while WWF's In Your House event did a 2.64. For what it's worth, though, Fall Brawl has a proven track record with WCW.
  • WCW Executives are negotiating with international pay-per-view carriers to carry their monthly events, though it's highly unlikely that the requests will be accepted. Untelevised touring of Japan has been discussed within the offices.
  • Another idea discussed with WCW Creative was a cross-promotion with Monster Truck programming. One staff member suggested holding a 'Sumo Monster Truck match' at Halloween Havoc, pitting a Hulk Hogan monster truck against a Giant monster truck in a pre-taped duel. Crockett scoffed at the idea and requested that the employee be relocated to another branch of the company.
  • WCW is starting an interactive experience with the fans over the internet, allowing WCW.com visitors to predict the outcomes of events given the matchups ahead of time. A trial run occurred during Fall Brawl, but surprisingly, only two fans responded.
    The results are a stalemate:
    TracyBrooksFan - 4 out of 8
    Hashasheen - 4 out of 8

WCW is determined to find more than two fans who own personal computers with access to the World Wide Web, so here are the matchups for tomorrow night's Monday Nitro. Submit your predictions now!

The Funks vs American Males

Dusty Rhodes vs Arn Anderson

Chris Jericho and Disco Inferno vs Johnny B Badd and Flyin Brian

The Giant vs Jim Duggan

Randy Savage vs Kamala

<p><strong>The Funks</strong> vs American Males</p><p>

<em>with their actions at the end of Fall Brawl, I can't see Terry & Dory losing</em></p><p> </p><p>

Dusty Rhodes vs <strong>Arn Anderson</strong></p><p>

<em>Sue me, I'm an Enforcer fan and always will be, but I think Flair interjects himself here and causes a dq win for AA</em></p><p> </p><p>

Chris Jericho and Disco Inferno vs <strong>Johnny B Badd and Flyin Brian</strong></p><p><strong>

</strong></p><p>

<em>Jericho & Badd will once again brawl all over the place while Brian takes care of Disco</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Giant</strong> vs Jim Duggan</p><p>

<em>Poor Hacksaw...this is going to hurt a bit</em></p><p> </p><p>

Randy Savage vs <strong>Kamala</strong></p><p>

<em>Maybe Kamala is looking for payback after being made to quit by Savage in Wargames?</em></p>

<p><strong>The Funks</strong> vs American Males</p><p>

Dusty Rhodes vs <strong>Arn Anderson</strong></p><p>

<strong>Chris Jericho and Disco Inferno</strong> vs Johnny B Badd and Flyin Brian</p><p>

<strong>The Giant</strong> vs Jim Duggan</p><p>

<strong>Randy Savage</strong> vs Kamala </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Awesome start to this. I loved WCW and this time period and am anxious to see how you keep things fresh and if you ever push for an nWo type storyline.</p><p> </p><p>

Side note: I believe you can adjust your match/angle ratio for events so as to allow for more angles. And, don't get discouraged for low ratings at times. I feel that this is one time period that TEW isn't the most accurate with.</p>

The Funks vs American Males

Dusty Rhodes vs Arn Anderson

Chris Jericho and Disco Inferno vs Johnny B Badd and Flyin Brian

The Giant vs Jim Duggan

Randy Savage vs Kamala

Awesome start to this. I loved WCW and this time period and am anxious to see how you keep things fresh and if you ever push for an nWo type storyline.

Side note: I believe you can adjust your match/angle ratio for events so as to allow for more angles. And, don't get discouraged for low ratings at times. I feel that this is one time period that TEW isn't the most accurate with.

Thanks, I'm glad you (and others) are enjoying it so far. It's a completely new experience for me and it's making me think a lot harder when I book my shows. I have this card done, I just have to write it up. It's gonna bomb but I tweaked the pushes to help it a little bit.... woops! I get what I deserve for putting Hacksaw in the main event I guess. It's not 1988 anymore!

This is all a learning process for me... I spend as much time on the 'small questions' thread still, as I do writing this stuff...lol

I watched Starrcade 1995 last night so I could get a feel of how things were around then. If you noticed, I kept the existing storylines (some of them) and tried to make Fall Brawl as similar to it really was as I could...... although Harlem Heat was coincidental--I wanted to get the belts off slater and buck... lol

I just got Black Ops... so depending on how addicted I get, I might slow down... hahaha. Gives time for predictions though. Happy new year!!

The event will follow, probably by the end of the night.

Monday, Week 4, September 1995

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Eric Bischoff, & Ric Flair

Barton Coliseum (5,000)

Preshow:

Dean Malenko def. Taka Michinoku (4:59) (D)

Paul Orndorf def. Rey Mysterio Jr (6:44) (D+)

Main Show:

Shiavone: Fans, we've got a packed show for you tonight, let me tell you!

Bischoff: That's right, we're at a packed house in the Barton Coliseum tonight one night after Fall Brawl.

Schiavone: The Giant shocked the world, or so we thought, warding off the Dungeon of Doom, coming to the aid of Hogan, only to find that he wants a fair fight at Halloween Havoc.

Bischoff: That's not all, though. We have new cruiserweight champion, Flyin Brian. There's a lot of Badd blood in that tournament, no pun intended. Luckily we might get that settled tonight, with a tag team match between the four corners match competitors. Flair, you're quiet tonight. Not a good night for you last night, eh?

Flair: I'll tell you who it wasn't a good night for... your old lady, because she wishes she was with the Nature Boy. Wooooo! I've refused to wrestle tonight, but I'm under contract. So here I am. I will not set foot in that ring until I get my rematch at Halloween Havoc.

Schiavone: Well, the fans would love to see that, I'm sure. What Anderson did wasn't a fair way to win, but he did beat the Dirtiest Player in the Game by playing dirty himself.

Flair: Cool it, Tony. He didn't beat me. He and the turnbuckle beat me. I've done some crummy things to win matches, but that ain't one of them. Let's get to the action, for now. ©

The Funk Brothers def. The American Males (10:24) in a great match to debut the Funks. (B)

Okerlund is backstage with the Taskmaster.

Taskmaster: A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and Kamala was the weakest last night at WarGames. I will give him one more chance tonight, and if he does not get the job done, he is banished from the Dungeon. ©

Hulk Hogan cuts a promo on the Giant.

"Well you know something, brother, I guess the Hulkster has to thank you for saving my butt last night. I may be the World Heavyweight Champion, but The Taskmaster likes to fight dirty and gang up on me, with my teammates handcuffed and out of the way. There's no telling what would have happened. So the Hulkster thanks you brother, because I want to be at 100% to prove to you that there's no stopping Hulk Hogan."

Hogan turns to a serious tone.

"It's good that you came into the cage last night. Like I said, there's no telling what could have happened. I don't know what I would have done to the Dungeon of Doom, outnumbered or not, but it wouldn't have pretty. So thank you for saving them from that fate, Giant. You haven't yet seen the full power of Hulkamania, brother, but you will at Halloween Havoc." (A)

Arn Anderson comes to the ring for his match, met by a chorus of boos.

Arn: I was backstage and a certain has-been wrestler-turned-commentator came up to me and BEGGED me for a chance to get revenge on me for his pal Ric Flair. Sounds good to me. I need fresh opponents since I've already proven myself versus Flair last night. That chapter is finished, but the book is still being written. So come on down here, if you really want to be next in line."

Arn Anderson def. Dusty Rhodes in a good match (9:33) by pinfall, blatantly cheating by using the ropes. Arn was more focused on Flair than Dusty in this match, shouting obscenities, and staring at Flair with a maniacal grin. (C+)

Anderson: Come on, Flair, are you going to take your ball and go home? You won't wrestle? You won't even come down here to save your friend? Pathetic, Flair.(B+)

Johnny B Badd & Flyin Brian def Chris Jericho & Disco Inferno in a decent match (9:04). Jericho seemed uninterested in getting in on the action, and Disco took quite a beating. Jericho walked away from a tag attempt, leaving Disco susceptible to a Shooting Star Press/pinfall loss. (C-)

The Giant def Jim Duggan (10:12). (C-)

Meng and Big Bubba jump Sting & Luger backstage! (B-)

Randy Savage def Kamala in an average match (11:02) but the crowd seemed as if they felt cheated with Kamala in a headlining role. It looks like Kamala will be banished from the Dungeon, per the Taskmaster's pre-match stipulations. ©

Post show:

Lord Steven Regal def. Hugh Morrus (12:16) (D).

Overall rating: C+.

Archived