Monday Night Mayhem: WCW On the Rise (Sep 1995 Mod)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/SaturdayNight.jpg

Saturday, Week 4, October 1995 (Taped Thursday)

Cape Girardeau Armory, Missouri (1,000)

Host: Gene Okerlund

Announcers: Jim Crockett Jr, Mike Tenay, Chris Jericho

Preshow:

John Layfield & Maxx Muscle def. Banzai & Rob Van Dam in a terrible match (6:44) (E+)

Main show:

The Taskmaster def. Alex Wright (with Berlin) (8:19) (C-)

The Renegade, Bunkhouse Buck, & Dick Slater are in the ring for six-man action, but are demolished by the Giant. (B+)

Bobby Heenan challenges Hogan to wrestle an opponent of his choosing in the main event. Hogan accepts and says he never backs down. (A)

DDP & Chris Jericho def. Malenko & Guerrero (13:02) (C+) with Marc Mero on guest color commentary.

DDP & Chris Jericho beat down Malenko & Guerrero after the match (D+)

A camera catches Bobby Heenan and Arn Anderson discussing plans backstage. It looks like Arn has agreed to face Hogan in the main event. (B+)

Harlem Heat def. Benoit & Eaton (14:29) (C+)

...and celebrate after their victory. ©

Arn Anderson def. Hulk Hogan by pinfall. Arn Anderson was accompanied to the ring by Bobby Heenan, who interfered on numerous instances. (B)

Jimmy Hart ran to ringside to help from Hulk's corner, but Hogan became distracted as the Giant and Heenan put the boots to Jimmy Hart. Arn wins with a small package, and Hogan is furious. (B-)

Final rating: B-

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516N4KH77DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

WCW Halloween Havoc 1995

WCW World Heavyweight Championship:

The Giant (w Bobby Heenan) vs Hulk Hogan © (w Jimmy Hart)

WCW Cruiserweight Championship:

'Madman' Marc Mero vs Chris Jericho

Loser is barred from World War 3:

Sting, Luger, & Hawk vs The Dungeon of Doom

Grudge rematch:

Ric Flair vs Arn Anderson

WCW Tag Team Championship:

Harlem Heat © defend against The Funks in a new school vs old school showdown!

Stable vs Slave:

Randy Savage vs the Taskmaster

If Savage wins, the Dungeon of Doom is disbanded. If the Taskmaster wins, Savage must wrestle in matches decided by the Taskmaster for the rest of the year!

Send in your predictions!

Grudge rematch:

Stable vs Slave:

WCW Halloween Havoc 1995

Grudge rematch:

Stable vs Slave:

If Savage wins, the Dungeon of Doom is disbanded. If the Taskmaster wins, Savage must wrestle in matches decided by the Taskmaster for the rest of the year!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516N4KH77DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

WCW Halloween Havoc 1995

Rupp Arena, Lexington Kentucky (30,000)

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Eric Bischoff, Dusty Rhodes

Preshow:

Diamond Dallas Page won a 15-man Battle Royal. The final four competitors were Duggan, Cobra, One Man Gang, and DDP. (14:40) ©

The Announcers open the show.

Schiavone: Fans, welcome to Halloween Havoc 1995! We've got a stacked card for you tonight including contests for the Tag Team, Cruiserweight, and World championships.

Bischoff: That's right, Tony. We've also got grudge matches between Ric Flair and Arn Anderson, and the Dungeon of Doom against the Hulkamaniacs.

Dusty: I can't wait to see Arn get what's coming to him.

Shiavone: I think we all want to see that. We've also got a tag team triangle match to determine number one contenders to the tag team titles, and it's up next!! (A)

The Blue Bloods def the American Males and Malenko & Guerrero in a 22-and-a-half-minute-long encounter to name number one contenders to the WCW Tag Team Championships. Malenko & Guerrero were eliminated first, followed by the American Males. (C+)

WCW Tag Team Championship

Harlem Heat def. The Funks to retain the titles. (14:47) Booker T pinned Terry Funk after a Heat Seaker. The Funks argued after the match. (B)

In a great back-and-forth elimination-style contest, the Dungeon of Doom reigned supreme, surprisingly. Road Warrior Hawk was eliminated first, creating a 3 on 2 advantage for the Dungeon. Shockingly, when Luger argued with Hawk, who was on the outside, Bubba caught him off guard with a sidewalk slam and got the pin. 3 on 1 with Sting being the lone man for his team. Sting managed to fight them off for a bit and even eliminated Zodiac, then Rogers, but Meng's power was too much. Meng wins after Sting passes out to the Tongan Death Grip. (B-)

Gene Okerlund interviews Randy Savage.

Okerlund: Folks, I'm here with the Macho Man, Randy Savage. Randy, what is going through your mind after seeing that surprising win for the Dungeon of Doom?

Savage: The Dungeon of Doom is as strong as ever, which is why I have to win tonight. That's all there is to it.

Okerlund: There you have it. Macho Man Randy Savage, a man of many words, made speechless tonight. Well, Macho Man, I wish you the best; you're up next.(A)

Stable vs Slave:

Another great match for the night. The Taskmaster was really on his game, and it looked as if Savage was choking in this do-or-die situation. The Taskmaster could have probably beat Savage fairly because of this, but he still used the lopes for leverage as an 'insurance policy.' (13:02) (B)

Grudge match:

Flair versus Anderson II. Anderson: 1, Flair: 0. This was a fantastic match, and they had the crowd eating out of their hands, so to speak. Flair had Arn in the figure four and the crowd thought it was over. Bobby Heenan rushed to ringside and tossed brass knuckles to Arn, who used them on Flair as Heenan distracted the referee. Arn won via pinfall while still in the figure four--Flair's shoulders were on the mat because he was knocked out. The ref looked confused but freed Anderson and raised his arm. (17:04) (B)

Gene Okerlund catches Arn on his way to the back.

Okerlund: Something tells me Flair's going to want another rematch.

Anderson: Well, that's too bad. I learned from the best. All those years with the Horsemen, I learned how to do what it takes to hold onto the Tag team titles, the Television title, and I knew how to save Flair's ass and keep the World title on him. It's my turn, now, though. Flair's had his shot, and he couldn't beat me. Now it's my shot.. my chance to move on to bigger and better things, like World War 3, and the World Heavyweight title. (A*)

A heated rivalry became even more heated, as now the title was on the line. The two pulled out all of the stops and even brawled into the crowd. The ref used his judgment and refrained from ending the match in a double count-out. After several near-falls, fans finally got to see who the better man was, as Madman Marc Mero won the gold with a Shooting Star Press and pinfall win. (15:35) (B-)

Okerlund interviews Mero, who gives a standard victory promo.

"I told you I was Badd, Jericho. I told you I was a madman. And now I'm telling you that I am the NEW WCW Cruiserweight champion. And I've proven that I'm better than you and I'll prove it again any day of the week." (C+)

The main event is about to start, and Okerlund catches Bobby Heenan and the Giant on the way to the ring for a quick interview. (B)

The Giant manhandled Hulk Hogan in this match, and several times it built to comeback that were cut short by the sheer power and youth of the Giant. After a chokeslam, Luger and Sting came to ringside. While Jimmy Hart distracted the referee, Luger put Giant into the torture rack, and when he couldn't support his massive body on his shoulders any longer, he dropped him for Sting to deliver a brutal Scorpion Deathdrop. Luger draped Hogan's arm over the Giant, and the ref counted 1 2 3. Your winner, and still Heavyweight Champion, Hulk Hogan. (16:22) ©

Hogan is pissed, and argues with Sting & Luger, who blow him off, walking out, thinking he's ungrateful for their saving him from losing. (B+)

Overall rating: C+... that damn main event killed it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/IO.jpg

InternationalObjects.com pay-per-view report

and weekend wrestling happenings

• WCW Halloween Havoc 1995 did a 3.48 buyrate.
  • In confusing news, WWF European Champion Mad Mountain Rock has left WWF for CWA. The two promotions arenot warring, so no one is sure why he would leave. WWF management can't be too pleased as no notice was given, and they are left without a replacement champion.
  • With the networks scheduling for the new season, WCW is looking to sell Nitro to a Japanese station.
  • Cactus Jack is the new SCW Heavyweight Champion.
  • WCW scouts have suggested to management to sign Dwayne Johnson to a developmental deal. The star athlete is a former Miami Hurricane, and is a third generation wrestler.
  • WCW is currently in negotiations with World Champion Hulk Hogan in renewing his contract to a long-term deal. Cruiserweight Champion Marc Mero's contract is currently up for renewal as well.
  • Prediction results from Halloween Havoc:
    Hashasheen 2 for 6
    TracyBrooksFan 1 for 6
  • Updated prediction standings after Halloween Havoc:
    Hashasheen - 6 for 14 - 43%
    Tracy BrooksFan - 5 for 14 - 36%

I've got plans for him..remember, I signed him to a very lengthy deal. And he already is face :p

I wonder if I should do a roster breakdown with heel/face. He might have sounded like a heel because I was giving him a more serious tone, but that's what I was going for. To hype up his feud with Giant.

I've got plans for him..remember, I signed him to a very lengthy deal. And he already is face :p

I wonder if I should do a roster breakdown with heel/face. He might have sounded like a heel because I was giving him a more serious tone, but that's what I was going for. To hype up his feud with Giant.

See edit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/nitro.jpg

Monday, Week 1, November 1995

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Eric Bischoff, & Dusty Rhodes

Pine Bluff Arena, Pine Bluff Arkansas (7,244)

Preshow:

Jushin Liger def. Santo Christo & Alex Wright in a three-way elimination match. (7:20) (D+)

Malenko & Guerrero def. Buck & Slater (7:53) ©

Main Show:

The Announcers open the show and give highlights and clips from Halloween Havoc. (B)

The Giant is in the ring and calls out Hogan for a rematch. (B+)

Hogan comes out and agrees, but is blindsided by Scott Norton. The Giant and Norton demolish the Hulkster, but the main event is set: Hogan-Giant for the title. (B+)

Okerlund is backstage with Randy Savage.

Okerlund: Randy, I'm told tonight that you will have to face Zodiac and Big Bubba Rogers tonight due to your loss at Halloween Havoc. What are your thoughts?

Savage: That was a cheap win, Taskmaster. Though I guess it could have been a lot worse, yeah. The Macho Man wouldn't be much of a man if he didn't keep his word, so I'll wrestle in his matches. I'll just have to do what it takes to win. Taskmaster, this isn't over! DIG IT! (B)

The Blue Bloods def. the American Males in a relatively short match. (6:05) ©

Regal and Eaton celebrated their win. (D+)

Randy Savage steals the win against Big Bubba and Zodiac by scoring a fast roll-up pinfall after dropkicking Rogers off the apron. (12:28) (C+)

Ric Flair def. Chris Jericho in a great match (10:32) by submission with a Figure Four. (B+)

Flair calls out Arn but gets no response. Flair wants one more shot at Anderson! 'Heenan, I'll deal with you later.' (B+)

WCW World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan def. The Giant. Once again, The Giant manhandled the Hogan. After a brutal chokeslam, the Giant left the ring to consult with Bobby Heenan. He should have pinned Hogan, but wasted so much time that Hogan was able to Hulk Up, and hit the boot and leg drop. Hogan won narrowly, but looked like he'd been through a war.(17:07) (C+)

Overall rating: B-

http://www.f4wonline.com/templates/f4w2007/images/logo2.gif

Wrestling Observer/FigureFour

• It is said that WCW's ratings problems are not only attributed to poor quality shows, but also by not announcing matches ahead of time.
  • WCW is attempting to take over Smoky Mountain Wrestling after reports of serious financial problems for the South East promotion. The intentions of the takeover attempt are unknown, and it could be as simple as wanting a second development company.
  • WCW has re-signed World Champion Hulk Hogan to a 40 month written deal. Terms of the deal are $45,000 per month, with 15% and 25% bonuses for PPV and revenue. Initial offer was for $40,000 per month, but the Turner Broadcasting wrestling giant was forced to up the ante to outbid rival promotion WWF's offer.
  • Gannosuke and Nakamaki have captured IWA Japan's tag straps from the Headhunters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/SaturdayNight.jpg

WCW Saturday Night

Showboat Sports Pavilion, Las Vegas Nevada

Preshow: Jushin Thunder Liger wins a four-way elimination match (8:31) against (in order of elimination) Santo Christo, Kurasawa, and Eddy Guerrero. (C-)

Main Show:

The American Males def. One Man Gang & Paul Orndorff (9:13) ©

Okerlund interviews Bobby Heenan.

Heenan gloats about his clients demolishing Hogan on Nitro, despite the Giant's main event loss. (B+)

Heenan brings out 'Hogan's next challenger,' Scott Norton, who refuses to leave the ring until Hogan faces him. Obviously, Hogan is nowhere in the building, but the Nasty Boys and Bunkhouse Buck come out to try to remove Norton, who lays them all out. (B-)

Norton challenges Hogan to a match on Nitro. (C-)

Blue Bloods Hype video (C-)

Booker T def. Earl Robert Eaton (7:58) (C-)

The Giant & Meng squashed Rey Mysterio Jr & Rob Van Dam (5:07) (C-).

Dungeon of Doom hype video (B)

Arn Anderson def. Alex Wright in a great match, but Wright doesn't stand a chance against the Enforcer. (10:20) (B-)

Dean Malenko def. Esquire Chris Benoit (8:53) in a submission match. (C+)

Overall rating: C+

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/nitro.jpg

Monday, Week 2, November 1995

Birmingham-Jefferson Arena, Birmingham, Alabama (14,254)

Preshow:

The Nasty Boys and Buck & Slater fought to a double count-out (7:59) (C+).

Main show:

The announcers open the show. (B)

They give a quick rundown on what's been happening in WCW, and hype the Main event of the evening, for those who missed WCW Saturday Night, as it is said that Hogan has accepted Scott Norton's challenge. Also happening tonight is a giant handicap match featuring Randy Savage and the Dungeon of Doom. Savage will have a mystery partner who will be sure to 'even the odds.'

Arn Anderson is shown sitting in the front row, apparently having the night off. (B+)

Regal & Benoit def. Malenko & Guerrero in 8:31. (C+)

Ric Flair def. Kurasawa with an inside cradle, (7:44) (B)

Flair grabs the mic after the match. (A)

He cuts a promo on Arn, saying that he can dodge him all he wants, but it isn't over.

Terry Funk def. Stevie Ray with a roll-up in 8:54. (B-)

Terry Funk gloats about pinning Stevie Ray, and says he can do it again. He makes an open challenge for anyone to step up and be his tag partner to face Harlem Heat. Funk claims that he lost because his brother 'can't cut it anymore.' (B-)

Lord Steven Regal appears at the entrance ramp.

"Hold it right there, sunshine. Perhaps in your old age you've gone a bit senile and are forgetting things that are quite obvious. The Blue Bloods are the number one contenders, you daft old fool. But we love a good fight, and we know you do too. So I'll make you a deal. If you can beat each of us in singles matches, you can have our title shot at World War 3. But I wouldn't count on it."

Funk accepts, and Eaton-Funk is booked for WCW Saturday Night. ©

Jim Crockett Jr announces his decision on Anderson-Flair III.

"Despite the underhanded outcome of Anderson-Flair II, Flair should know better than anyone that sometimes you have to suck it up and move on. As much as I'd like to give you another shot at Anderson, you've had two chances already. Anderson might not have won cleanly, but they don't call you the Dirtiest Player in the game for nothing. If you want to face Arn, you will have your chance in the World War 3 battle royal. That is all I have to say on the matter. If you insist on having an additional match, that is fine, but it won't be against Anderson. There are a few wrestlers who won't be in the battle royal who will need opponents, so you are welcome to challenge any of them." (A)

Randy Savage & Marcus Alexander Bagwell def. The entire Dungeon of Doom. (12:51) The Dungeon dominated through most of the match, but Savage found ways to outsmart them. Interestingly, Savage draped Bagwell's arm over Big Bubba to give him the win, probably to further frustrate the Taskmaster.(C+)

Hulk Hogan def. Scott Norton with a Leg Drop. (9:47) (B-)

Overall rating: B-

Wrestling Observer/Figure Four

• Nitro and Raw scored 4.70 and 5.05 ratings, respectively, this week.
  • UFW is reportedly about to close its doors. Surprisingly, WCW is not attempting a takeover.
  • Steve Corino is the new ECWA Mid Atlantic champion. Scott Steiner has defeated Jerry Lawler for the USWA World Championship, and NJPW/WCW star Scott Norton has defeated Yuji Nagata to become the #1 Contender Champion, a championship recently created by NJPW to increase talent exposure. It is unconfirmed whether WCW will acknowledge this on their programming.
  • WCW has extended Marc Mero's contract with an 18-month exclusive extension.
  • WWF Raw was taped on Tuesday night. No title matches took place, but the show was a success with a blockbuster six man tag team main event featuring Diesel, Goldust, & Sid defeating Jerry Lawler, Bret Hart, and the British Bulldog. The MOTN was Undertaker versus Shawn Michaels. WWF is clearly trying to put pay-per-view caliber match-ups on TV in order to keep their lead strong versus WCW.
  • WCW has changed their PPV provider in Japan to SkyPerfect, and is in negotiations to switch to Australian provider, Foxtel. Management claims that the public access companies were giving them a headache with their low-risk programming requirements.
  • WCW is having difficulty expanding its Nitro programming to Japanese markets as Turner Broadcasting executives want to keep WCW programming within their broadcasting stations. This limits WCW to only broadcasting to American viewers on TBS and TNT. In a change of plans, WCW is considering starting asking for either a second TV show or an expansion of Nitro's timeslot.
  • ECW and WCW wrestler Sabu is out with a cracked sternum. The injury will keep him from action for about 20 days. Sabu has been working tryout matches in WCW, but the American wrestling promotion has shown no signs of offering an exclusive deal yet. They have, however, signed Rey Mysterio Jr to a two year written contract. Coincidently, Sabu was the star of Wednesday night's taping of Hardcore TV, so this might be a bit of a blow to ECW.

Announcers: Jim Crockett Jr, Mike Tenay, & Chris Jericho

Jefferson County Fairgrounds, Tennessee (2,000)

Preshow:

Road Warrior Hawk won a 10-man battle royal, the final four were Jim Duggan, Ricky Santana, Cobra, and Hawk. (9:42) (C-)

Main show:

Harlem Heat def. Buck & Slater (9:08) when Booker pinned Slater after a Heat Seeker. (B-)

Harlem Heat celebrates after the match. (B-)

Diamond Dallas Page def. Alex Wright in an awkward bout in 9:47. ©

Gene Okerlund interviews Terry Funk on his match with Bobby Eaton. (B-)

Madman Marc Mero def. Disco Inferno via pinfall after a Shooting Star Press. (8:54) (C+)

Okerlund interviews Mero on his win. (C+)

Six man tag action:

Arn Anderson, Steven Regal, & Chris Benoit def. Dean Malenko, Eddy Guerrero, & Rey Jr. Anderson gets the pin on Rey at the 12:20 mark after a DDT. (C+)

Harlem Heat comes to ringside to watch Funk vs Eaton. (B-)

Terry Funk def. Bobby Eaton by Submission (16:28). (C-) The crowd wasn't too into it.

Okerlund interviews Funk, who cuts a promo on the Blue Bloods, telling them to send out whoever's next. (B-)

Regal accepts but tells Funk that it won't happen tonight. Chris Benoit will be Funk's next opponent. ©

Final rating: D+

http://www.pwtorch.com/PWTorchGraphics/PWTorchLogo2010greygreySLOGAN250.jpg

• WCW doesn't have to feel too badly after their poor showing on Saturday Night, as this week's WWF Superstars taping was even worse. The main event featured Isaac Yankem against Bob Holly. Go figure. Saturday Night scored a rating of 0.39, while Superstars scored 0.25.
  • WCW has signed Bobby Heenan to a three year contract extension at a shocking $13,000 per year figure.
  • WCW/NJPW star Jushin Liger has signed a per-appearance deal with ECW.

Monday, Week 3, November 1995

Lloyd Noble Center, Norman, Oklahoma (7,393)

Preshow:

VK Wallstreet squashed Rey Misterio Jr in 4:26. ©

Diamond Dallas Page retained the WCW Television title in a four-way elimination match. Alex Wright was eliminated first, then Jushin Liger, then Dean Malenko. (8:55) (C+)

Main Show:

Bischoff, Schiavone, and Rhodes open the show.

Schiavone: Folks, welcome to another Monday Nitro, the hottest wrestling show on TV!

Bischoff: We've got a great show tonight, with wrestling icon Terry Funk continuing his challenge against the Blue Bloods. Tonight he will be facing young gun Chris Benoit, in what is sure to be a must-see match.

Shiavone: We'll also hear from Jim Crockett, who has two blockbuster announcements for World War 3.

Rhodes: Rumor has it that one of those announcements involves The Nature Boy Ric Flair!

Bischoff: I've heard that as well, but it is unconfirmed. We'll have to wait and see--don't change that channel!

Schiavone: No, fans, don't change that channel, because before we get to the action, we have "Mean" Gene standing by with The Enforcer, Double A, Arn Anderson. Gene?(B+)

Okerlund: Thank you, Tony. I am here with the Enforcer, Arn Anderson, who has just been confirmed for entry to the World War 3 battle royal for a shot at Hulk Hogan's World Title.

Anderson: Mean, BY GOD, GENE. Wooo. Looks like I'm on the road to championship gold just like my good friend the Nature Boy. Give it up, Flair. I've proven myself not once, but twice against you, and I'm moving on to bigger and better things. If you want a piece of me, the only way you'll get it is in World War 3. If you can last long enough to make it to the final ring. Because you can bet all the limousines and jets in the world that I'll be there, and will last to have my hand raised and become the number one contender. (A)

Sting & Lex Luger def. Buck & Slater when Luger put Buck in the Torture Rack at the 11:52 match. (B-)

Jim Crockett Jr appears at the entrance ramp.

Crockett: Sting, I thought I should announce this now, while you're in the ring. As I had announced before, Ric Flair will not be facing Arn Anderson again, as he's had two chances to settle his score and came up short both times. I did, however, give Flair the option to face any wrestler of his choosing, should he desire a second match on the card. I misspoke when I did not add any stipulations or exceptions to his choices, and Flair is a smart man. So Sting, at World War 3 you will be defending your United States Championship against Ric Flair. (A)

The Taskmaster cuts a promo backstage on the main event, which will feature Randy Savage in yet another handicap match. (B-)

Terry Funk def. Chris Benoit with a quick roll up at the 4:39 mark. Benoit looked outraged and complained to the ref that Funk hooked the tights, but a win is a win. ©

Crockett announces Funk vs Regal for Saturday Night. If Funk wins, he takes the spot of a Blue Blood in World War 3's tag team title match with Harlem Heat. (B-)

Harlem Heat & Marc Mero def. Regal, Eaton, & Jericho in an elimination match. The tag team champions were the last men standing! (11:31) (C+)

James Maritato, Rey Jr, & Santo Christo vs.......

well, a Lucha match was supposed to happen, but The Giant came to the ring and demolished the three young stars. (B+)

Afterwards, Heenan hyped his clients and set a challenge for World War 3.

Heenan: Wow, would you look at that. Giant layed out those three shmucks like they were nothing. Hogan, I know you won't face Giant again until he's re-earned his shot against you. Giant won't even face you unless he's fairly earned it, anyway. I don't agree with it, but then again, it's hard to disagree with a 450 pound man who towers above me like he does. So here's what's going to happen, Hogan. The Giant is officially announcing his entry to World War 3. He'll win it, and face you for the title. However, being that you're the champion, you won't be in World War 3. You don't seem to have an opponent, though, which leads me to believe you're ducking a few world title-hopefuls. My other client here, Scott Norton, doesn't care how he gets a title shot. Opportunities like this don't come too often, and a mercenary like Flash here is had success in New Japan when offered a #1 Contenders title shot. So Hogan, one more time, face Norton. But this time, put the title on the line. Unless you're going to duck the the biggest arms in pro wrestling. (B-)

Main event:

Randy Savage def. Bubba & Meng in 8:06 by pinning Bubba. (B)

Overall rating: B

Wrestling Observer/Figure Four

• Raw and Nitro scored 5.09 & 4.79 ratings, respectively, this week. Both figures are an improvement from last week's ratings.
  • WCW has extended Colonel Robert Parker's contract by 30 weeks. This is surprising, as he hasn't been utilized that much.
  • Next week's Raw taping didn't fare too well, with a pretty abysmal card saved by a decent main event of Undertaker vs Yokozuna.
  • AAA, ECW, and WCW rookie Rey Mysterio Jr is now 'exclusive property' of World Championship Wrestling. The 7 day notice period has ended, and the young luchador has left AAA and ECW as part of his written agreement with WCW.

Saturday, Week 3, October 1995 (Taped Thursday)

Announcers: Jim Crockett Jr, Mike Tenay, & Chris Jericho

War Memorial Auditorium, Ft Lauderdale, Florida (2,980)

Preshow:

The Blue Bloods def. Malenko & Guerrero when Benoit pinned Guerrero at 12:19. ©

Main show:

The show opens with Gene Okerlund interviewing Bobby Heenan in the ring. Scott Norton is standing by, as Heenan repeats their challenge for Hogan to defend the title against Norton at World War 3. (B)

Hogan accepts! (B-)

Terry Funk def. Lord Steven Regal by submission while holding the ropes. (11:23) (C-)

Regal: I've got to say, old chap, I like your style. That's exactly how I'd like to win the tag team titles against that wretched Harlem Heat. What do you say, Funk? Me and you at World War 3, Blue Blood for a night, for the belts.

Funk: They're saying I'm middle aged and crazy, and they'll BE saying I'm a middle aged, crazy tag team champion. You're on. ©

Okerlund: Well, there you have it folks, it looks like Terry Funk is an honorary member of the Blue Bloods, and we've got ourselves a tag team title bout for World War 3.

Eaton, Benoit, and Regal all shake Funk's hand. (B-)

Battle Royal:

The Giant won a 15-man World War 3 Warm-Up battle royal in 15:03 by outlasting Jerry Sags, Cobra, and Big Bubba Rogers, among others. ©

Heenan: Ladies and gentlemen, your next world champion, The Giant!

Main event:

Meng and Big Bubba def. Hogan & Savage by submission via Tongan Death Grip at the 11:42 mark after Hogan was attacked and distracted by Scott Norton. (B-)

Road Warrior Hawk runs in to lend a hand to Hogan and Savage.

Tenay: I guess the fight against the Dungeon of Doom can create some rather unlikely allies.

Jericho: Is Norton even in the Dungeon of Doom?

Tenay: He might as well be. You heard Heenan on Nitro. Norton's a mercenary. While he's not one for allegiances, I'm sure he'll take a side if the price or advantage is right for him.

Jericho: Well Norton better watch out. After he beats that red-and-yellow shmuck, I'm coming after him for the belt at Starrcade, because I'm winning World War 3. I don't care if Giant is a hundred feet tall, and weighs more than the other 59 competitors combined, I'll find away to win.

Tenay: Well, good luck to you Chris, We'll see you Sunday, at World War 3! ©

Final Rating: C+

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/worldwar1995c.jpg

WCW World War 3 1995

WCW World Tag Team Championship:

The Blue Bloods vs Harlem Heat

WCW United States Championship:

Sting vs Ric Flair

WCW World Heavyweight Championship

Hulk Hogan vs Scott Norton (with Bobby Heenan)

WORLD WAR 3: 60 Man Battle Royal for a chance at the gold!

Featuring the Dungeon of Doom, Arn Anderson, Ric Flair, the The Giant, & more!

PLUS: Lex Luger vs a MYSTERY OPPONENT

A six-way elimination luchador match for a Cruiserweight Title shot at Starrcade:

Rey Misterio Jr vs Chris Jericho vs Dean Malenko

vs Jushin Liger vs Alex Wright vs Eddy Guerrero

It's every man for himself at World War 3, this Sunday, LIVE on Pay-Per-View!

Send your predictions in to the Torch now!

WCW World War 3 1995

WCW World Tag Team Championship:

The Blue Bloods vs Harlem Heat

WCW United States Championship:

Sting vs Ric Flair

WCW World Heavyweight Championship

Hulk Hogan vs Scott Norton (with Bobby Heenan)

WORLD WAR 3: 60 Man Battle Royal for a chance at the gold!

Featuring the Dungeon of Doom, Arn Anderson, Ric Flair, the The Giant, & more!

PLUS: Lex Luger vs a MYSTERY OPPONENT

A six-way elimination luchador match for a Cruiserweight Title shot at Starrcade:

Rey Misterio Jr vs Chris Jericho vs Dean Malenko

vs Jushin Liger vs Alex Wright vs Eddy Guerrero

Oh cool, someone else is doing a WCW 1995 diary. :)

And I see you too are struggling with poor ratings due to trying to cope with especially the Dungeon of Doom storyline... get out of it as fast as you humanly can, is my advice - it dropped me to cult. :D

Archived