Monday Night Mayhem: WCW On the Rise (Sep 1995 Mod)

http://www.f4wonline.com/templates/f4w2007/images/logo2.gif

Wrestling Observer/Figure Four

• Jeff Farmer, known as "Cobra" has left WCW after his contract expired. The booking committee was not impressed with his work at all, but wishes Farmer success in his future ventures in the wrestling industry.
  • WCW experienced a decrease in ratings this week due to a failure to announce matches ahead of time. One would think that the stellar match-up would have caused a ratings spike, but instead it will potentially be a more lucrative spike in the form of Pay-Per-View buys next month for SuperBrawl.
  • WCW narrowly beat WWF in the ratings war this week. Nitro scored a 4.98, while Raw scored a 4.96! WCW forgot to advertise this week, yet again.
  • Dunn and Rex have beaten GeNext for USWA Championship Wrestling's tag team straps.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/thunder.jpg

Thursday, Week 4, January 1996 (Taped Tuesday)

Host: Gene Okerlund

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan, Larry Zbyszko

The Pyramid Arena@Memphis Tennesee

Preshow:

Doom def. Los Guerreros (66)

Main show:

Jericho takes 'Monday Night Jericho' segment to Thursday nights, and hosts his segment in the ring. Jericho calls out his guest, Dean Malenko, who will be one of his opponents in the main event. As expected, a fight breaks out, with Jericho getting the best of Malenko. (85)

Okerlund is backstage with the rest of the Horsemen, who hype the Clash of the Champions, and also wish Jericho luck in the main event. (96)

The American Males def. Raven & Blaze in 7:49. (64)

Raven & Blaze grab mics.

Raven: This is the crap I'm talking about. We weren't ready for this. We get here and before we can even put our bags into the locker room, we're told we've got a match to open Thunder. Crockett doesn't even have the decency to give us advance notice. Here's some notice for you, Crockett.

Blaze: Here's some notice for you, Crockett. We want OPPORTUNITY. We want respect. We want an apology. But we'll accept a tag team title shot instead, if you can't man up and admit that we're right.

Raven: What about us? We're watching you, Crockett. (38)

Crockett is in the back and announces a quick offer. Crockett pitches the idea that Raven & Blaze can compete against the American Males one more time, at Clash of the Champions, and the winner will become the number one contenders to the tag team titles. However, the title shot will not come until after the Road Warriors/Steiners settle differences amongst themselves, and determine a winner agains the Blue Bloods. So, whomever wins between Raven & Blaze and The American Males will get a title shot. On NITRO!

Raven & Blaze look skeptical, but satisfied with the response. (54)

Scott Norton def Rey Mysterio Jr in 4:49. (58) Rey looks frustrated after the match.

Okerlund: You heard it from Crockett first, but I've got to ask you, Legion of Doom, what do you think about the number one contender match?

Ellering: Let me be quick and to the point- It'll make for an easy title defense for the new tag team champions, The Road Warriors.

Hawk & Animal: WHAT A RUSH! (58)

After a commercial, Okerlund is with the Blue Bloods.

Okerlund: Everyone's gunning for your tag team titles. But tonight, you've got a big match in the main event against some of WCW's top contenders.

Funk: Well, it's gonna be one big nuthouse. Those Steiners and Road Warriors won't be able to stomach being on a team, and Malenko's just a small fry. I may be crazy, but I know good business when I see it, and that's why I'm with the Blue Bloods, however out of place I may be. And that's why we'll be able to coexist with Chris Jericho. Business! (82)

Luger & Mero def. Buck & Slater (10:16) (70).

The Steiners cut a backstage promo on the Blue Bloods. (68)

The Blue Bloods & Chris Jericho def. The Steiers, Road Warriors, & Dean Malenko in 15:40. The Blue Bloods looked to be in trouble until a mis-cue between the Road Warriors & Steiners erupted into a brawl. Malenko was no match for a 5 on 1 assault from the Blue Bloods & Jericho, and was pinned by Benoit after a Lionsault, Moonsault, and diving headbutt. (84)

Final Rating: 81

Not bad for having Bobby Eaton in a main event in 1996!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/COTC.jpg

Preshow: Jim Duggan vs Raven

The Steiners vs The Road Warriors

Luger & DDP vs Norton & Cactus

Ron Simmons vs Too Cold Scorpio

Cruiserweight Battle Royal

for a title shot at SuperBrawl. if Mero wins, it counts as a title defense.Participants: Blaze, Brad Armstrong, Chavo Jr, Jericho, Malenko, Eaton, Guerrero, Benoit, Liger, Mero ©, Bagwell, Mysterio, Sabu, Funk, Ultimo Dragon

Raven & Blaze vs American Males, winners get tag title shot on Nitro

Grudge match: Stevie Ray vs Booker T

WCW World Tag Team Championship

The Blue Bloods vs The Steiners or Road Warriors

Main Event:

Arn Anderson & Chris Jericho vs Randy Savage & Dean Malenko

Clash of the Champions, LIVE on pay-per-view!

Send your predictions in to the Torch now!

for a title shot at SuperBrawl. if Mero wins, it counts as a title defense.Participants: Blaze, Brad Armstrong, Chavo Jr, Jericho, Malenko, Eaton, Guerrero, Benoit, Liger, Mero ©, Bagwell, Mysterio, Sabu, Funk, Ultimo Dragon

Main Event:

The Blue Bloods vs The Steiners

Main Event:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/COTC.jpg

Announcers: Jim Crockett, Tony Schiavone, & Dusty Rhodes

Raven shocks the sold our Pyramid Arena crowd by pinning Duggan after an Evenflow DDT. Despite this, Raven looks pissed; no surprise there. (6:41) (55)

Schiavone, Crockett, & Rhodes open the show. They give a rundown of the matches. And not before long, the action starts. (94)

The Road Warriors def. the Steiner Brothers in 12:28. (79) DOOMSDAY DEVICE!! The crowd pops for this solid opener.

Gene Okerlund is backstage with the Horsemen.

Okerlund: Wow, we're off to a great start! Looks like we'll be seeing the Road Warriors against the Blue Bloods later tonight for the Tag Team Championship of the world.

Heenan: Okerlund, shut it. No one cares about the Road Wariors, this isn't 1985.

Okerlund: Coming from Bobby Heenan and the Four Horsemen, that's ironic.

Anderson gets in Okerlund's face.

Okerlund: Right, sorry.

Anderson: DDP, I accept your challenge at SuperBrawl. Title for title. But let's up the ante a bit. The loser of the match will not only lose their title, but can't challenge for any other titles until the Great American Bash.

Okerlund: Wow, that's quite a wait. Let's see, Uncensored, Spring Stampede, Slamboree, Great American Bash. That's what, 3 or 4 months from now.

Anderson: Did I tell you you could speak? Listen up DDP, those are the terms, whether you like it or not. (100)

Luger & DDP def. Norton & Cactus in 11:32. Diamond Dallas hit the Diamond Cutter on Norton for the win, and afterwards said, "Anderson, you're on!" to the camera.

In a slightly humorous moment, Cactus did his "Bang Bang!" bit despite losing, and Page hit him with a Diamond Cutter for good measure, shouting BANG!! in unison with the hot crowd. (82)

Ron Simmons & Too Cold Scorpio fought to a double count out. (67)

Bobby Eaton shockingly won the battle royal to gain a shot at Mero. The final four were Jericho, Mysterio, & fellow Blue Blood Terry Funk. Mysterio eliminated Jericho with a flying head-scissors, and Funk capitalized by pushing Rey over the top. In a split second, Eaton dumped Funk out. It's every man for himself. (20:02) (68)

The American Males def. Raven & Blaze to gain a title shot on Nitro. (9:21) (64)

Booker T pinned Stevie Ray in 13:34 following a Missile Dropkick. Sherri held Stevie's legs down. (75)

The Blue Bloods def. The Road Warriors in 12:56. Regal gets the pin on Animal in defence number 5 of the tag belts. (78)

Main Event:

Savage & Malenko def Anderson & Jericho in the main event. Jericho submits to the Cloverleaf. (16:13) (92)

The show ends with Malenko & Savage celebrating, and the Horsemen retreat after noticing DDP watching from the crowd.

Final rating: 84

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/SaturdayNight.jpg

Saturday, Week 4, January 1996 (Taped Thursday)

Announcers: Jim Crockett Jr, Mike Tenay, & Cactus Jack

Hilliard Gates Sports Center

Preshow:

Los Guerreros def. Jushin Liger & Ultimo Dragon (59)

Main show:

Crockett, Tenay, & Cactus Jack open the show. Raven is no longer with the announce team due to his "inability to control himself with a microphone." (77)

Dean Malenko issues an open challenge for the TV Title. (73)

Midnight Express (Eaton/Lane) def. Joey Maggs & Hugh Morrus in 8:18. (57)

Blaze def. Dave Sullivan (5:20) (43)

Gene Okerlund interviews Terry Funk. Funk mentions tonight's main event: Funk vs Scotty Riggs vs Hawk. (86)

Scott Norton & Ron Simmons def. The Renegade & Jim Duggan (8:12) (64)

Okerlund interviews Raven, who laughs at Crockett for scolding him like a child. Raven says he wanted to accept Malenko's challenge but Crockett has him in "time-out" and won't let him 'play with the other children.' Raven claimed that the Uprising wasn't finished with the American Males, and that Crockett forced him to wrestle twice at the Clash of the Champions, stacking the odds against him. (65)

Marcus Alexander Bagwell def. Raven in 8:52. (58)

Benoit def. Rey Mysterio Jr in 8:03 (66).

Okerlund interviews Ellering & The Legion of Doom. (60)

Dean Malenko def. Paul Orndorff in what is announced to possibly be Orndorff's final match, quietly on WCW's B-show. At least it's televised. Orndorff has a strong showing and lasts for 12 minutes until Malenko scores the pinfall win after a Super Gutbuster. (78)

Perhaps Orndorff still has some fight in him?

Funk def. Riggs & Warrior in 10:26 by submission. (64)

Final rating: 70

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/IO.jpg

InternationalObjects.com pay-per-view report

and weekend wrestling happenings

• Bad Crew #1 has defeated Chad Austin for the Mid-Eastern Wrestling Fedeation Mid-Atlantic Championship. Over in All-Star Wrestling, Brookside and McDonald defeated Lafon and Steele for the ASW National Tag belts.
  • Thunder scored a 4.39 rating on TNT this week.
  • WCW's Clash of the Champions and Souled Out pay-per-views both did 3.60 buyrates. Clash was hindered by a lack of advertising and build, focusing on on-the-fly booking to feature different stars new to the pay-per-view scene. A B-Show of pay-per-views, if you will.
  • This week's broadcast of WCW Saturday Night did a 0.37 rating.
  • Warrior was the winner of WWF Royal Rumble 1996. The show scored a 74 rating, a 4.18 buyrate, and a mammoth attendance of 29,192 at the Charlotte Coliseum.
  • Ohio Valley Wrestling has been opened in the South East region by Bill Watts. The new promotion is said to offer a traditional-style product.
  • WCW developmental company NWA Mid-Atlantic has had a consistently critically-acclaimed output since its opening, with most shows rating higher than USWA Memphis Wrestling, despite an attendance of about 1-2% of USWA's usual figures! However, these are not figured into regional battles just yet as NWA-MA is still growing as a local, backyard promotion. Next month, Mid-Atlantic regional leader USWA is likely to be trampled.
  • WCW has signed Miss Elizabeth to a written deal. Ex-husband Randy Savage is said to be furious about the deal, as Jim Crockett ignored his wishes against hiring his former spouse. As a peace offering, Savage has been offered a two-week paid vacation.
  • WCW star Sting is currently also on vacation, for at least 50 days.
  • Prediction results for Clash of the Champions:
    • Hashasheen: 7 of 9
    • Kijar: 6 of 9

[*]Simmons-Scorpio was a freebie due to the count-out finish.

[*]Updated standings:

• Hashasheen - 13 for 23 - 57%
    • Kijar: 14 for 26 - 54%
    • Tracy BrooksFan - 14 for 31 - 45%
    • Tripps04 - 1 for 6 - 17%

• 4 weeks later...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/IO.jpg

InternationalObjects.com recap report:

Getting you up to date with wrestling's happenings.

WCW's Current champions:

WCW Cruiserweight Champion - Marc Mero

WCW Tag Team Champions - The Blue Bloods (Funk & Regal)

WCW Television Champion - Dean Malenko

WCW United States Champion - Diamond Dallas Page

WCW World Champion - Arn Anderson

At the Clash of the Champions, we saw the Steiners face the Road Warriors for the second time ever.

We saw Bobby Eaton become the Cruiserweight Title #1 contender.

We saw The Blue Bloods hang onto the tag titles, and the American Males win a shot at those belts.

Raven was 'screwed' yet again.

Malenko & Savage won another battle in the war against the Horsmen.

Currently planned for SuperBrawl is Arn Anderson vs Diamond Dallas Page, title vs title. Loser doesn't get another title shot until Great American Bash!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/nitro.jpg

Monday, Week 1, February 1996

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Jim Cornette, & Dusty Rhodes

Gainesville O-Dome, Birmingham Alabama (10,000)

Preshow:

Dean Malenko def. Berlin with a Super Gutbuster in 6:51. (59)

Ultimo Dragon def. Kurasawa in 5:31 with a Dragon Sleeper. (50)

Main show:

Schiavone, Cornette, & Dusty open the show.

Schiavone: Fans, welcome to a big night for WCW as we move forward on the path to SuperBrawl.

Cornette: Tonight we've got the Road Warriors in action, as well as the tag titles on the line between the Blue Bloods and the American Males.

Schiavone: But first we have Gene Okerlund standing by with the Four Horsmen. Gene? (91)

Heenan: Thank you Tony, and thank you Okerlund, for your own sake, for being smart enough to not even bother opening your mouth with us around. As we've seen on the Clash of the Champions, the champ agreed to a match with Diamond Dallas Page, with some interesting stipulations. It's title versus title, and the loser will not get another title shot until after the Great American Bash, months away.

Anderson: Page, you're a damned fool for agreeing to this. And if I didn't have these guys by my side, I'd be a fool too. But the Enforcer always has a game plan. I'm no fool, and soon you'll be no champion. Randy Savage took his ball and went home after her coudln't get the job done, and I predict you'll do the same, page.

Flair: I gotta tell you something pal, I'm feeling a little left out knowing that I'll be the only one without a title after Super Brawl. The Hollywood Stallions will bring the TV & Cruiserweight belts home to the Horsemen.

Okerlund: But Jericho doesn't have a title shot. I know, i know, keep my mouth shut. Just saying.

Flair: We've got a plan in the works. There's always an ace in the hole for the Horsemen. Jericho will walk out of SuperBrawl with the Cruiserweight title, and the Horsemen will have the gold. But Mean, WOOOO! Gene, let me tell you something else, I don't need a title to make the girls go wild. At the end of the day, I don't need another belt to take off before I take the girls to space mountain. WOOO! (99)

The Road Warriors def. The Nasty Boys with a Doomsday Device in 12:32. (70)

Chris Jericho hosts another edition of "Monday Night Jericho" and his guest is Marc Mero, whom Jericho introduces as...his SuperBrawl opponent...? After some verbal cheap shots, the two went nose to nose but were separated by security. The crowd is confused, as is Mero, as Mero is planning to face Bobby Eaton, not Jericho.(79)

Ron Simmons def. Hugh Morrus in 8:53 with a Dominator. (63)

Mero & Malenko def. The Uprising in 8:28. Blaze tapped to Malenko via the Cloverleaf. (75)

Raven: Once again, we're fed to the wolves, and not even with any advance notice. No time to prepare or get ready for such a match. We got here and were pulling our bags out of our car when one of Crockett's goons came up to us and told us we're facing two of WCW's champions.

Blaze: And of course, the titles weren't on the line. I mean, it's a tag team match, sure, but if you're fighting champions like you say you are, why not put them up for grabs?

Raven: Clearly we're not posing much of a threat to them if we're being fed to them like fish bait every week. So Crockett, we're just going to lie down next time, unless it's a match worth fighting for. (44)

Lex Luger def. Cactus Jack in 11:41 by DQ when Cactus exposed a turnbuckle and used it to punish Luger. (78)

Main event:

The Blue Bloods vs The American Males

The American Males got their hard-earned title shot tonight and put up a hell of a fight against Regal & Funk. Unfortunately for the American Males--and the fans in attendance--the Blue Bloods were disqualified when Raven ran in to attack Bagwell. Your winners, the American Males, but still the champions: The Blue Bloods. (18:17) (77)

Crockett announces a rematch for the title, on Thunder. (76)

Final rating: 81

• 5 weeks later...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/thunder.jpg

Thursday, Week 1, February 1996 (Taped Tuesday)

Manley Field House (9,063)

Preshow: Scott Norton def. Dave Sullivan (50)

Preshow: VK Wallstreet def. The Renegade (49)

Main show:

Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan, Larry Zbyszko open the show. (90)

Funk & Regal cut a promo on the American Males, who will be meeting them later on in the night for the tag team titles. (62)

The Hollywood Stallions (Austin/Jericho) def. Los Guerreros in 6:49 after a Lionsault on Chavo. (75)

The Stallions beat down the Guerreros after the match but Mero & Malenko run in to shoo them away. (63)

The Steiners def. Buck & Slater in 9:44 after a Steinerizer. (66)

Marc Mero cuts a promo on Bobby Eaton & Chris Jericho. He tells Okerlund that he doesn't know what's happening at SuperBrawl, but doesn't care, either, as he can beat Jericho, Eaton, or both at the same time. (78)

Lex Luger def. Raven with a Military Press Slam in 1:14. Luger refused to pin Raven when he laid down, but figured he would get the match 'over with' after putting the boots to Raven and realizing he wouldn't fight back. (69)

Blaze comes in to chop-block Luger after the match, and Raven catches Luger with an Evenflow DDT. As the two put the boots to Luger, Malenko runs in to even the odds. (64)

WCW Tag Team Championship

The Blue Bloods vs American Males

After a solid match lasting 18:02 minutes, Scotty Riggs rolls up the hardcore legend for the pinfall victory. The American Males are handed their prize: The WCW World Tag Team Championship. Bagwell looks upset, however, as he noticed that Riggs hooked quite a handful of tights to pin Funk. (78) Regardless, the American Males have won the tag belts.

Main event:

Bobby Eaton vs Rey Mysterio Jr

Bobby Eaton's still got it! The fans could tell that this match served two purposes: to give Eaton a warm-up before his title shot, and to show the world the man who would take Eaton's place as one of the top high-flyers, Rey Mysterio. Regal joined on color commentary, and sounded disgusted when Eaton helped up Mysterio after the match. Eaton wins in 13:12 with an Alabama Jam. (82)

Final rating: 74 (oh well. I'm rusty!)

http://www.pwtorch.com/PWTorchGraphics/PWTorchLogo2010greygreySLOGAN250.jpg

• Jake Roberts has passed away after a drug-overdose.
  • Sgt Slaughter has announced his retirement from in-ring competition; he has vowed to stay within the business, however, open to behind-the-scenes work.
  • WCW has slipped behind in the ratings war due to poor advertising. The streak resets to zero!
  • Thunder scored a 4.08, WCW is apparently not trying to bother advertising Thunder as it runs unopposed. Morons.
  • ECW's Hardcore TV is planned to return to network programming next season.
  • Gary Hart has taken over booking duties for Ohio Valley Wrestling.
  • WCW saturday night scored a 0.36 rating this week.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/SaturdayNight.jpg

Saturday, Week 1, February 1996 (Taped Thursday)

Hammerstein Ballroom (2000)

Preshow: Los Guerreros def The Barrio Brothers (42)

Crockett, Tenay, & Cactus Open the show. (93)

Okerlund interviews Harlem Heat & Sherri, who want a tag title shot. (53)

Chris Benoit def. Brad Armstrong (62)

Footage is shown of The Blue Bloods cornering Crockett backstage earlier in the night, requesting a rematch for 'their' tag titles. Crockett says he'll think about it. (65)

Doom def. Rock N Roll Express (63). It's obvious that Doom are major contenders for the tag titles.

Okerlund interviews the Steiner Brothers, who want a shot at the gold, as well! (64)

The Steiners prove their dominance in a match against Jushin Liger & Hugh Morrus. (63)

Crockett announces that he's been unfair to Raven & Blaze, and claims they have an easy match tonight, and will become the number one contenders if they can defeat their opponents. (59)

The Uprising are in the ring waiting for their opponents, looking a bit uneasy. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the Road Warriors come out. Raven & Blaze hold their own for 10 minutes but ultimately are defeated by Hawk & Animal. (71)

Diamond Dallas Page def. VK Wallstreet (81).

Page cuts a very well-received promo on Arn Anderson. (95)

Bobby Eaton def. Rey Mysterio in a rematch of Thunder's main event. After 18:30 of back-and-forth action, Eaton wins yet again. (82)

Final rating: 74

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/nitro.jpg

Monday, Week 2, February 1996

Birmingham-Jefferson Arena (10,350)

Preshow: Ron Simmons def. Ultimo Dragon (71)

Main show:

Schiavone, Cornette, & Rhodes open the show.

Schiavone: Fans, welcome to Monday Nitro! We've got the biggest main event in the history of Nitro with an 8-man tag match in the works.

Rhodes: We've also got the TV champion defending his belt tonight against crazy Cactus Jack.

Cornette: And Jim Cornette pulling double duty, as usual. McMahon's crapping his pants right now since I won't sign a contract with him. Where will I go? Only I know. I understand we're about to kick things off right now with WCW's greatest wrestler, Chris Jericho in the ring right now.

Schiavone: Well, I wouldn't argue that he's talented, but he's not high on my list of favorites. (94)

Chris Jericho: Welcome to another ratings-gathering edition of MONDAY NIGHT JERICHO! I know you people came to see me, and as if you didn't already have enough reasons to tune in to see me, I'm about to give you one more with my guest tonight. But first, I want to point something out. Marc Mero, you might as well be writing your own eulogy in preparation for Super Brawl, after saying you could beat me and Eaton at the same time. So put your money where your mouth is, and make it official. Crockett, it's in your best interest to go along with this idea. The Horsemen are ratings. You can love us, or you can hate us. We don't care. The point is, you're tuning in to see us win, see us lose; you're tuning in to see something happen with the Horsemen. And history is being written day-by-day as the Hollywood Stallions take WCW by storm. Tonight's no different, and here's why even more people will be tuning in to see the Horsemen. Jericholics around the world, I give you the Hollywood Stallions' new manager--eat your heart out, Randy Savage, i know you're watching at home--OOOH YEAH it's Miss Elizabeth! (65)

The Blue Bloods (Eaton/Benoit) def. Mysterio & Liger in 11:54. (75)

Okerlund: I'm here with the Madman Marc Mero, Mr Mero, what do you think about Jericho's idea earlier tonight?

Mero: Well Gene, I'm a man of my word, and this situation's not any different. I'll put the belt up against Jericho at Super Brawl. He hasn't beaten me yet, after like a hundred desperate attempts, so I'm not sweating him at all.

Okerlund: There you have it! Assuming Crockett has no problems with this, we have ourselves a three-way-dance for Cruiserweight gold at Super Brawl. (79)

WCW Television Championship

Dean Malenko vs Cactus Jack

Cactus had a strong showing here, proving to the world that there was more up his sleeve than table splinters and barbed wire. He could go toe-to-toe with one of wrestling's best technicians, Dean Malenko. Toe-to-toe isn't always a sure win, however, and neither was this as Cactus tapped to the Cloverleaf in 14:10. (86)

The Uprising def. Los Guerreros in 8:32. (65)

Raven breathed a sigh of relief after the match, surprised there were no swerves by Crockett.

After a commercial, Marcus Bagwell is in the ring.

Bagwell: What happened on Thunder was not right. We finally got our shot, and we did it; we won the WCW World Tag Team Championship. However, there was a little asterisk next to the win. Riggs pulled the tights, and we'll never know if Terry Funk truly would have been down for that three count. As much as I hate to see this go, I can't accept this win. I will leave it up for Crockett to decide, whether we get another shot or not, if the belts are vacated or go back to the Blue Bloods, but I will not accept this belt around my waist.

Bagwell lays it down in the ring, as Riggs comes storming down the aisle.(72)

Riggs immediately shoves Bagwell, and yells, 'What the hell are you doing?' The two exchange heated words and come to blows. The Road Warriors, Steiners, and Blue Bloods come out as well, eager to get in on the tag belt outcome, and the 2-man brawl escalates into an 8-man war. (72)

After another commercial,

Crockett is shown backstage and announces that he will honor Bagwell's request to vacate his half of the tag belts. He says Bagwell cannot speak for Riggs, however, but fortunately for Bagwell, Crockett deems Riggs' actions not those of a champion's, and says he will strip Riggs of his belt, as well.

Crockett: The belts will remain vacated, and per Marcus's request, the title reign will be wiped from the record books. I will decide over the next week or so the future of the tag titles. (81)

Main event:

The Four Horsmen def. The Road Warriors & the Steiner Brothers.

The two tag teams were unable to really gel as a 'superteam' after their recent wars. They were pretty beat up after the recent brawl, too. Once again, the Horsemen steal the win. Chris Jericho pins Rick Steiner at the 20:16 mark after a Lionsault to end a fantastic main event. (85)

http://www.f4wonline.com/templates/f4w2007/images/logo2.gif

Wrestling Observer/Figure Four

• WCW failed once again to advertise Nitro this week, yet managed to pull ahead in ratings with a 5.06 versus Raw's 4.85.
  • WCW probably won't have to worry about ratings next week: According to Dave Meltzer, Raw's main event at last night's taping was a dud, rated 64, as Yokozuna took on Psycho Sid. The card began with two matches rated in the 20s.
  • Rick Martel has captured the USWA World Championship by defeating Jeff Jarrett after 7 successful title defences.
  • WCW is rumored to be on the fence about renewing Thunder's TV deal, despite its success. Management is said to be wanting to focus more on improving the quality of Nitro.

Thursday, Week 2, February 1996 (Taped Tuesday)

The Sun Dome (10,000)

Apparently there were major issues with the cable feed for this week's Thunder*, and no one in the world got to see it! Here is a quick rundown for what happened this week on Thunder.

This week's Thunder focused mainly on the now-vacant Tag Team Titles. In singles action, former champs Scotty Riggs & Marcus Bagwell defeated Jushin Liger & Sabu in separate matches. After Bagwell's match, Riggs attacked his former partner.

Jim Crockett announced a tag team title tournament for SuperBrawl featuring Steiners/Road Warriors III in the opening round, Doom vs Harlem Heat, & Riggs vs Bagwell, settling their differences in a singles match, with the winner advancing to choose their own tag team partner.

In the main event, The Hollywood Stallions fought to a draw with SuperBrawl opponents Mero & Malenko. Bobby Eaton attacked Mero during the match, despite Mero giving Eaton his due credit for his work in recent nights with Rey Mysterio.

The sell-out show was given a rating of 86 by Dave Meltzer, and it will be interesting to see how next week unfolds as we approach one of the biggest nights of the year in wrestling with SuperBrawl VI.

*- I accidentally deleted the write-up from my show queue.

Saturday, Week 2, February 1996 (Taped Thursday)

Burlington Memorial Auditorium

Los Guerreros def. Berlin & Maxx Muscle (49)

Cactus Jack def. Too Cold Scorpio... Stevie Ray on commentary. (68)

Okerlund interviews Austin on his SuperBrawl match with Dean Malenko. (85)

Doom & Harlem Heat brawl backstage and are pulled apart by security. (67)

Buck & Slater def. Rey Mysterio Jr & Ultimo Dragon. (54) Mysterio looks frustrated.

Okerlund interviews Chris Jericho on his thoughts on Marc Mero defending his title tonight, right before SuperBrawl. (81)

Uprising def. The Nasty Boys (60)

Marc Mero comes out for his match and grabs a mic.

Mero: I was originally scheduled for a title defense in a one on one match, as per my request to show I'm a fighting champion. However, I'm going to do you all one better. Not only am I a fighting champion, but I'm a Madman; crazier than you think. So I want to call on any two of WCW's top lightweights and let's make this a four corners match, and I'll still bring the belt to SuperBrawl. (64)

WCW Cruiserweight Championship

Marc Mero def. Benoit, Liger, & Steve Armstrong in a four corners match to retain the title. (63)

Flair & Malenko battled to a technical spectacle in the main event that unfortunately got thrown out by the referee. Austin ran-in and attacked Malenko. (83)

Overall rating: 76

http://www.pwtorch.com/PWTorchGraphics/PWTorchLogo2010greygreySLOGAN250.jpg

• This week's Thunder broadcast drew a 4.29 rating.
  • WCW 'talent' Sony Onoo has left the company.
  • WCW management is said to be pleased with the pairing of Miss Elizabeth & Chris Jericho, specifically, though no comment was given or implied on her work managing Steve Austin.
  • Saturday Night drew a rating of 0.37 this week.
  • January PPV buyrates: WWF Royal Rumble: 4.18, WCW Clash of the Champions: 3:60, WCW Souled Out: 3.60. WCW is considering their two 3.60's to be a victory over WWF's one 4.0 range show, given the track record of the Royal Rumble.
  • WCW developmental company NWA:Mid Atlantic has risen to Small size. It's a wonder it took as long as it did, as NWA:MA has been given a helping hand by mega-star Hulk Hogan, despite their events taking place in high school gymnasiums.

Monday, Week 3, February 1996

Ocean Center (10,000)

Preshow: Raven def. Chavo jr. (65)

Main show:

Schiavone, Cornette, & Rhodes open the show. (94)

Okerlund is in the ring with Bobby Heenan, Miss Elizabeth, & the Hollywood Stallions. As usual, Heenan does most of the talking, and does standard hype for the PPV.(97)

Dean Malenko def. Chris Benoit in 12:30 with a Texas Cloverleaf. (86)

Jim Cornette is with Gene Okerlund, and announces tonight's main event: Riggs & Stevie Ray will be taking on Bagwell & Booker in tag action. (86)

Cactus Jack def. Ultimo Dragon in 5:42 with a Double Arm DDT. (76)

The Hollywood Stallions def. Rey & Eddie in 14:26 when Eddie tapped to the Liontamer. (78)

Okerlund interviews Raven & Blaze, who are said to be in the SuperBrawl tag team title tournament. (52)

Bobby Eaton def. Hugh Morrus in 8:02 with an Alabama Jam. (70)

The Steiner Brothers cut a promo on their competition at Sunday's pay-per-view. (69)

DDP def. Steven Regal in 14:27, despite interference from Arn Anderson. (76)

Okerlund interviews the Legion of Doom. (58)

Booker T/Bagwell & Stevie Ray/Riggs fight to a double DQ in the main event. The match went to 15:06 until the referee had to throw out the match as the former teammates all brawled with eachother outside of the ring. (76)

Archived