Monday Night Mayhem: WCW On the Rise (Sep 1995 Mod)

http://www.f4wonline.com/templates/f4w2007/images/logo2.gif

Wrestling Observer/Figure Four

• Ohio Valley Wrestling has signed Barry Darsow & Tommy Dreamer.
  • Fuerza Guerrera has captured the Mexican National Cruiserweight Championship in AAA.
  • Despite the lack of advertising, Nitro scored a whopping 5.10 rating on TNT last night. Streak: 2 weeks.
  • WCW has renewed the contract of Saturday Night for a whopping six seasons. The Turner company has not renewed Thunder, however, and the word is that management wants to give more focus to Nitro on a weekly basis. Expect spring cleaning to happen soon, as WCW's roster seems to have a lot of unused talent (or lack of, in some cases) with no intentions to utilize said names.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet. I'm still following dude. :p

Also, how many active US feds are there at the moment?

Thanks. As always, I'm open to comments and constructive criticism as I'd like to get better at doing this stuff.

Global:

WWF

International:

WCW

Cult:

ECW

Regional:

AWF

MEWF

NWC

PWA

USWA

WWC

Small:

APW

ECWA

NWA: MA

NWA: NJ

OVW

SCW

WXW

Let me know if you want any details.

Any of them going under? :p

Anyway, really interested in the Hollywood Stallions. Both guys were epic IRL and would probably be main-eventing for you in a year if you slow build correctly and turn Flair and Arn face for a Horsemen split.

Also, when's the Hulkster coming back up? Can't imagine he's too pleased about working the gyms when he should be main-eventing the big cards, brother!

Why'd you split up Riggs and Bagwell? You can't tell me you actually see something worthwhile in Bagwell, do you?

You need to kill and buy USWA and turn it into your developmental fed. One because its amusing, and two because then you could take whatever decent stars they have to bolster your roster that seems to have a lot of deadweights.

Any of them going under? :p

Anyway, really interested in the Hollywood Stallions. Both guys were epic IRL and would probably be main-eventing for you in a year if you slow build correctly and turn Flair and Arn face for a Horsemen split.

Also, when's the Hulkster coming back up? Can't imagine he's too pleased about working the gyms when he should be main-eventing the big cards, brother!

Why'd you split up Riggs and Bagwell? You can't tell me you actually see something worthwhile in Bagwell, do you?

You need to kill and buy USWA and turn it into your developmental fed. One because its amusing, and two because then you could take whatever decent stars they have to bolster your roster that seems to have a lot of deadweights.

Austin is already Main Event status, actually. Jericho is upper midcard. Then again, I have a 3 brand split so it's kind of cheap. Some can call it cheating, but I don't really care... I've tweaked a lot of things with custom angles and stuff and the brand split is there for the house show bonuses and so I don't have to use the big names on every show. Which is why you may see some less likely to be featured on Nitro vs Thunder, or the other way around.

As for the American Males....I have a loose plan/reason in mind. Never was a fan of them as a team. Side note, I do think Bagwell always had charisma, and was perhaps a little underrated. Average at best in the ring, but he had a lot of character.

I see the Horsemen being in it for the long haul, at least until Arn & Flair are still going. My reason for bringing them back together was to hopefully bring back the prestige associated with the name that'd deteriorated a little bit over the previous few years. I just think they're one group that never should have completely split--revolving roster, maybe, but there should always be a Horsemen group.

Hulkster... I don't know. I'm still toying with some ideas. Right now he's enjoying his fat paycheck and the low-pressures of working with the stars of tomorrow. I am completely making that up. :) I really don't have anything for him right now, but we'll see.

As for USWA... I don't know. I may consider a working relationship type of thing, like what WWF did in 97. I like having smaller promotions stay open though, and for now I'm just interested in seeing how NWA Mid Atlantic simulates. :) As it is I have to drop dead weight from my roster so I'm not so sure I should hire more. Right now, WWF is killing itself by employing guys like the Hardys & Waylon Mercy, so I suppose I should scoop up names that are future stars. Keep in mind though, I have The Rock, Edge & Christian, Lance Storm, & others in development.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/thunder.jpg

Thursday, Week 3, February 1996 (Taped Tuesday)

Host: Gene Okerlund

Announcers: Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan, Larry Zbyszko

Jacksonville Memorial Coliseum (10,000)

Preshow: Road Warriors squash Buck & Slater (68)

Preshow: Funk & Regal squash The Nasty Boys (64)

Main show:

Schiavone, Zbyszko, & Heenan open the show. (100)

A video of a sit-down interview with Randy Savage is shown, conducted by Gene Okerlund. Savage speaks about why he's been MIA for a bit, citing personal issues & disagreements with management over hiring ex-wife Miss Elizabeth.(89)

Cactus Jack squashes Chavo in 1:38 with a Piledriver. (68)

A short video airs to hype Malenko vs Austin. (83)

Luger & Mysterio def. Regal & Eaton in 14:28. Eaton submits to the Torture Rack. Mysterio helps up Eaton after, and Regal knocks brawls with Luger on the outside. Benoit runs in and knocks Mysterio out cold, which starts a shoving match between Eaton & Benoit. Ultimately, Eaton stands tall with Mysterio & Luger, after Luger comes to his senses and shoos away the Blue Bloods. Eaton has turned face, it seems, as he raises Luger & Mysterio's hands out of respect. (74)

After a commercial...

Crockett: After seeing Eaton & Mysterio's fantastic matches in recent weeks, it seems to me there can be an addition to Sunday's card. As Marc Mero has claimed to be a fighting champion, he will have to back up those words this Sunday as he will now be defending his title in a four-corners match. Eaton & Mysterio's performances deserve credit and reward, and each will have their chance at gold this Sunday. (79)

A video clip is shown to hype the recently booked four corners match. (71)

Marc Mero def. Raven in 10:07 with a Shooting Star Press. (72)

Mero to camera, post-match: Bring em' on, baby, I'll face anyone.

A short clip is played to hype the third match between the Steiners & Road Warriors. (67)

After a commercial, another clip is shown, featuring WCW Hall of Famers Terry Funk & Dusty Rhodes, to advertise the return of the Hall of Fame in May at Slamboree. Inductees will be revealed in upcoming weeks. (81)

Scotty Riggs is shown backstage brawling with former tag partner and SuperBrawl opponent Marcus Bagwell. Riggs gets the upperhand and leaves Bagwell unconscious. "See you sunday, Chump." (77)

The announcers plug the SuperBrawl main event: DDP vs Arn Anderson. (89)

Main event

The Hollywood Stallions vs The Steiner Brothers

Great back & forth action and a strong--as expected--showing from the Steiners. The Horsemen prevail, however, due to interference from their new manager. While the referee was distracted by Elizabeth & Scott Steiner on the floor, Austin hit Rick with a low blow, and Jericho immediately put him in the Liontamer. The referee turned around to Rick tapping, not having seen what happened. (77)

Overall rating: 80

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201995%20WCW/SaturdayNight.jpg

Saturday, Week 3, February 1996 (Taped Thursday)

Host: Gene Okerlund

Announcers: Jim Crockett Jr, Mike Tenay, & Cactus Jack

Charles L Sewall Center

Rey Mysterio Jr def Ultimo Dragon (64)

The Steiners def. Buck & Slater (65)

Okerlund interviews Raven (64)

Bobby Eaton def. Blaze (71)

Malenko, E Guerrero, & Lex Luger def. VK Wallstreet, Kurasawa, & Scott Norton (70)

Chris Benoit def. Chavo Guerrero Jr (62)

The Blue Bloods assault Bobby Eaton backstage, leaving him unconscious and in critical condition! (57)

Gene Okerlund interviews Paul Ellering & The Road Warriors. (70)

Terry Funk def. Jushin Liger (71)

Okerlund interviews Jericho, who complains about Rey Mysterio getting added to the Cruiserweight title match. (83)

Diamond Dallas Page def. Lord Steven Regal in the main event (non-title). (82)

Final rating: 72

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/IO.jpg

InternationalObjects.com pay-per-view report

and weekend wrestling happenings

• Thunder drew a 4.44 rating this week on TNT.
  • Wrestling legend Lou Thesz has finally called it quits and has quietly retired from the business at age 79.
  • WWF's In Your House: Rage in the Cage was a bit of a dud due to questionable booking decisions. The early slots on the card consisted of downright terrible matches with newcomers Jeff & Matt Hardy, which killed the show. However, closing the show with a tag match of Warrior & Sid vs Kane & Undertaker didn't help matters, especially after following a world title match between Diesel & Yokozuna. An anonymous WCW employee has said, "well, Crockett's not perfect, and quite frankly, he's rusty manning the book these days, but after seeing what the Federation puts out, we'll be on top in no time."
  • WCW Saturday night drew an 0.38 this week on TBS, showing that viewers want to see solid wrestling matches just as much as they want to see storylines and main-event superstars. (Well, maybe not THAT much.)
  • WCW has signed rookie big-man "Berlin" to a two year written deal and has immediately sent him to NWA Mid-Atlantic, most likely for him to work on his pairing with fellow German sensation Alex Wright.
  • Shane Douglas has captured the USWA Southern Heavyweight title, ending Billy Jack Haynes' reign after eight defences.
  • WCW is planning to announce one of the main inductees for this year's Hall of Fame ceremony at SuperBrawl, three months prior to the actual ceremony.
  • Word is that Bobby Eaton is being removed from the WCW Cruiserweight title hunt in this Sunday's PPV, but will still be involved in the angle in weeks following the event.

Word is that Bobby Eaton is being removed from the WCW Cruiserweight title hunt in this Sunday's PPV, but will still be involved in the angle in weeks following the event.

Why? :'(

Come on Bobby I still believe!

Im just messing with you on the Steiners. They just seem like a good never say die team to me. Its unfortunate WCW/WWF for the most part made them so cheesy. Two big agile guys who kill people. In my opinion the greatest team ever.

Why? :'(

Come on Bobby I still believe!

Im just messing with you on the Steiners. They just seem like a good never say die team to me. Its unfortunate WCW/WWF for the most part made them so cheesy. Two big agile guys who kill people. In my opinion the greatest team ever.

Sorry, haha, I had a plan in mind for a while so I'm going with it. I shouldn't have done it on Saturday Night, but If you make stuff actually 'happen' on Saturday night, people will watch it, I suppose. Stay tuned.. :)

Yeah..well the Scott Steiner we've come to known for so many years I couldn't picture ever tapping out to anything... LOL so it's a good thing it was Rick doing the tapping. They were a great team and individually were as good as they were together. Well, Scott at least. He hit a Frankensteiner a month or two ago in TNA... At his age and build, that's freakin' crazy, IMO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201996%20WCW/superbrawl-1.jpg

WCW SuperBrawl VI: Double or Nothing

WCW Tag Team Championship Tournament

The Road Warriors

The Steiner Brothers

The Uprising

Los Guerreros

Harlem Heat

Doom

Marcus Bagwell + ??

Scotty Riggs + ??

and former champions Steven Regal & Terry Funk, who get a bye to the finals.

Two teams will advance to a 3-way dance to crown new champions. Who will it be?

Opening round matchups:

Road Warriors vs Steiner Brothers

Doom vs Harlem Heat

Riggs vs Bagwell, winner advances with partner of their choice

Uprising vs Los Guerreros

WCW Cruiserweight Championship

'Madman' Marc Mero © vs Chris Jericho vs Rey Mysterio Jr

WCW Television Championship

Dean Malenko © vs Steve Austin

WCW World Heavyweight Championship

WCW United States Championship

Title vs Title, Double or Nothing...until Great American Bash

Arn Anderson © vs Diamond Dallas Page ©

PLUS: Bonus match-up between Lex Luger & VK Wallstreet, and who will be the first inductee in the 1996 Hall of Fame class?

Regardless of what anyone thinks Steiner can still "Go" for someone as big and old as he is. Steiner is a victim of fate I think. If he could have somehow made a jump from WCW to WWF during 98-2000 era when he was on fire, heel and was still cranking out good matches him vs. Austin would have been epic. The Anti-Hero vs. The Anti-Hero. Steiner to me was just a very very good and believable heel Austin. Love me some Scotty Steiner.

I'll be paying attention. Love this dynasty mann.

The Road Warriors

The Steiner Brothers

The Uprising

Los Guerreros

Harlem Heat

Doom

Marcus Bagwell + ??

Scotty Riggs + ??

and former champions Steven Regal & Terry Funk, who get a bye to the finals.

Two teams will advance to a 3-way dance to crown new champions. Who will it be?

Opening round matchups:

Doom vs Harlem Heat

Uprising vs Los GuerrerosWCW Cruiserweight Championship

Steiners take the gold

PLUS: Bonus match-up between Lex Luger & VK Wallstreet, and who will be the first inductee in the 1996 Hall of Fame class?

Please god let it be the Shockmaster and or Robocop!

Opening round matchups:

Doom vs Harlem Heat

Uprising vs Los Guerreros

PLUS: Bonus match-up between Lex Luger & VK Wallstreet, and who will be the first inductee in the 1996 Hall of Fame class? No clue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/Booking%201996%20WCW/superbrawl-1.jpg

Sunday, Week 3, February 1996

LIVE at the Rupp Arena (29,250)

PPV Buy Rate: 3.96

Preshow: Lex Luger def. VK Wallstreet (81)

Tony Schiavone, Jim Cornette, & Dusty Rhodes open the show.

Schiavone: Fans, we are live at the Rupp Arena in front of over twenty-nine THOUSAND screaming WCW fans for SuperBrawl six! I'm Tony Schiavone, and joining me are the American Dream Dusty Rhodes, and wrestling's favorite mercenary with a microphone, Jim Cornette.

Cornette: So far so good, still behind enemy lines on both sides. Will I show up on Raw? Or will I show up on Nitro. Well, you know, I kind of like actually being seen by people, so you know it'll be Nitro.

Rhodes: Before we worry about Nitro, we've got a pay-per-view to call, with one stacked card, Daddy! I can't wait to see Diamond Dallas get his hands on the Enforcer.

Shiavone: Neither can the thousands in attendance or the millions watching around the world. Let's kick off the night by starting tonight's WCW World Tag Team Championship tournament matches.

Opening round matchup

Doom vs Harlem Heat

To finally settle the score between the two brothers, the teams headed by Booker T and Stevie Ray square off one more time. Ray & Simmons manhandle Booker & Scorpio, but Harlem Heat's resilience and agility see them slipping out of many near-losses. Fans popped to see Sister Sherri get physical with Teddy Long after he attempted to hold Scorpio's legs during a pin attempt. In the end, it was Booker T who pinned his brother to advance in the tournament and end the rivalry--at least for now. (73)

Jim Crockett makes a surprising announcement to the fans in attendance.

Crockett: I regret to inform everyone that Bobby Eaton's come back train has been derailed after recent attacks backstage. He will not be competing tonight. Tonight's Cruiserweight Championship match is now a three way dance. Whoever is not pinned in the match will be automatic number one contender for the belt. (70)

Opening round matchup

The Uprising vs Los Guerreros

Like the Heat & Doom math, plenty of high-flying action from the face side. After a referee bump or two, Raven brought in a chair and seemingly had the match won after an Evenflow DDT onto it. As Blaze tried to revive the referee, though, Eddie Guerrero hit a Frog Splash on Raven while he was pinning Chavo, and rolled up Raven just as the ref was coming to. Blaze counted to three while posing to the crowd, not realizing it was not Raven getting the pinfall! The Guerreros advance, and Raven looks pissed, as expected. (63)

Opening round matchup

Marcus Bagwell vs Scotty Riggs

This one got vicious as the former American Males met to settle their differences and aim to reclaim tag team gold. Bagwell, despite being the face in this rivalry, resorted to hair-pulling, eye gouges, and choking. Riggs pulled out all of the same stops, but scored the eventual pinfall by hooking the tights yet again. Scotty Riggs advances, but who will he choose as his partner?(74)

Gene Okerlund introduces the first inductee in the 1996 Hall of Fame class.

Okerlund: Folks, the time has finally come, when we reveal this year's first inductee for the prestigious WCW Hall of Fame.

The lights dim and dramatic music plays. A video package starts, and the crowd gives a mixed reaction of boos and 'Weasel' chants.

Bobby Heenan is the first inductee for the 1996 class of the WCW Hall of Fame!

Heenan comes out: Some of you love me, and some of you don't. Well let me just say, that I love all of you. I love the people cheering from me, because the world runs on gullible people, and I love the people booing me, because you're probably the people who wash my car, do my dry cleaning, and do whatever menial tasks a star like me needs to have done. So thank you, everyone attendance. Because if it weren't for all of you...... well, I'd just have someone else to do it. Okerlund, you could use a raise or a promotion. Right?

Okerlund: I beg your parden!

Heenan: Any experience chauffeuring?

Okerlund: I knew this was a bad idea. Hall of Fame 1996, everybody. Bobby Heenan. Good grief. Let's get to the ring. (100)

Opening round matchup

Steiners vs Road Warriors III

As expected, this was a hard-hitting, stiff match between two of wrestling's toughest teams. Hawk kicked out of a Steinerizer & even a Steiner Device, but when the tables were turned, Rick Steiner could not do the same. Animal pins Rick after a Doomsday Device to win in 12:03. (80)

A great match that showed off a great blend of high-flying ability and technical expertise. Plenty of exchanges for all three men. Jericho is first eliminated by Mero. Jericho grabs the Cruiserweight Championship and lays out both Mysterio & Mero before walking out. Neither can answer a ten count, but the referee decides to 'let it ride.' Mysterio is first to his feet, and helps up Mero. The two shake hands, and lock up. After a few minutes and head-scissors takedowns, Mysterio hits a springboard sunset flip, catching Mero off-guard for the pinfall at 13:30. (81)

Winner and NEW WCW WORLD CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPION: Rey Mysterio Jr

Okerlund interviews the new Cruiserweight Champion, and Marc Mero hands Rey the belt as a show of respect. Short and sweet, as Rey is too exhausted to say much.(75)

Semi-finals

The Road Warriors vs Harlem Heat

The New Harlem Heat had their work cut out for them, first having to face the powerhouse duo of Ray & Simmons, then advancing and having to face Hawk & Animal. The Road Warriors were still pretty tired after their match with the Steiners, so Booker & Scorpio had more opportunities to take risks and take to the sky. However, tired or not, the Road Warriors were just too strong. At one point, Hawk no-sold a Missle Dropkick. Matters were not helped by interference from Stevie Ray, either. Hawk pins Scorpio at 9:32 after a Doomsday Device, and it appears Booker vs Stevie Ray STILL is ongoing. (78)

Semi-finals

Los Guerreros vs Riggs and ???

Riggs: Let me tell you all something. I already accomplished something that none of you scum will ever accomplish in your life. I was a winner. How many of you can say that? Zero. not only was I a winner, I was a champion. A tag team champion, and I had that glory taken away from me by someone who didn't have the stones to do what it takes to win. So I have to ask, what about me? I won the match. I did what it takes. So why is it that someone else can decide I don't deserve what I earned? What about me? Luckily I've become good friends with someone who's been asking the same question. I'm going to prove, once again--excuse me, WE are going to prove--that we've got what it takes to do whatever's necessary to become and stay champions in WCW.

Raven's music hits, despite having lost earlier in the tournament. It looks like he's Riggs' partner!

The Guerreros are on fire with a lot of high-flying ability, & reversals. Riggs & Raven do what they said they'd do, however, and that is do what it takes to win. Numerous low-blows lead to Riggs pinning Chavo to advance to the finals. 10:26 (76)

Another heated rivalry comes to a head tonight as Austin challenges Malenko again for the TV title. Austin, while not usually known for technical ability, went hold for hold against Malenko, a feat which few are able to do. Heenan came to ringside and distracted the referee on more than one occasion, but it backfired. Eventually, Heenan was sent to the back, and Malenko caught Austin's leg during a Stunner attempt and quickly put him into the Texas Cloverleaf in the center of the ring. Dean Malenko defeats Steve Austin to retain the WCW World Television Championship in 15:48 by submission. (80)

Finals

Riggs and Raven vs The Road Warriors vs Funk & Regal

A triangle match will determine new Tag Team Champions tonight. Funk & Regal have the clear advantage here as they had not wrestled at all throughout the night. Riggs, Raven, Hawk, and Animal each took part in two strenuous matches each, and it showed. The Road Warriors were nowhere near as fast as they usually are, and it was pretty clear that despite being smash-mouth powerhouses, they weren't going to be able to capture the gold. Riggs, sporting a black eye, was in rough shape, too. Funk & Regal had the upperhand through most of the match, but were knocked down a few pegs as "beautifully battered" Bobby Eaton raced to ringside to brawl with Regal. The Road Warriors double teamed Funk, and the referee tended to Riggs and Raven. Eaton rolled Regal into the ring, and Riggs pinned him with the tights to mixed reaction from the crowd. Most were happy to see Eaton cost Regal the title, but they were not too pleased with where the titles ended up. (73)

Winner and NEW WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Scotty Riggs & Raven.

Okerlund catches the Horsemen as they are on their way to the ring.

Okerlund: I have been told by Mr Crockett that the Horsemen are barred from ringside for this match.

Anderson: That doesn't bother me one bit. I don't need help to beat DDP, if that's what you're wondering. He's the so-called People's Champion. To be the champion of these people is like being the skinniest kid at fat camp. The richest guy in the unemployment line. The smartest member of the Page household. You set your expectations so low, and you'll never be a real champion. You getting the United States title was a fluke, and I'll show you tonight that you're not good enough to hold onto it. The Hollywood Stallions came up short tonight, but they're young and have a lot to learn. There'll be many more opportunities coming for them, unlike you, Page. You lose tonight, and you've got a long wait ahead of you before you can even dream of getting another shot. Who knows, I might even give Jericho or Austin a title shot. A little sparring session to keep the gold in the family, so to speak.

Flair: Ain't that right brother. Have no fear, the Nature Boy is here! WOOOOO! I'm not on the card tonight, but frankly, the people of good ole' Kentucky aren't worthy of the honor of seeing me wrestle. Since this is the most exciting thing to happen in Kentucky since...the last time WCW was in Kentucky, I thought I'd throw these unsophisticated hillbillies a bone and come on out here. Speaking of unsophisticated hillbillies, boy, Kentucky must love you, Dusty. Let me take over the headset for this one, Fat Boy.

Flair & Dusty stand nose to nose, and the Horsemen are quick to stand with Flair, and Dusty backs down.

Flair: Barred from ringside is fine, this booth ain't ringside, but it's still a front row seat to see one of the greatest wrestlers in the world add another championship to his accomplishments.

Okerlund: Well, ladies and gentlemen, I apologize for that, but you're in for a treat. The main event is right now, and it's title versus title, winner take all, double or nothing till Great American Bash.

"Self High Five..." (89)

DDP and Arn brawl back and forth to start the main event. The referee is very generous as the fans want to see a clean winner. The fight spills into the crowd, up the entrance ramp, over to the announcers' table, et cetera.

Dusty Rhodes disappears from his position momentarily, and comes back with a cowbell & rope, and appears to be in Dallas's corner. Rhodes leaves the rope on the ring apron, and Anderson picks it up. As the referee tells Rhodes to leave, Anderson swings...and misses, right into a Diamond Cutter. DDP gets greedy, however, and instead of pinning Anderson, he chooses to throw him out of the ring and set him up to be choked/'hanged' by the cowbell rope over the top rope. The referee doesn't throw it out, but counts and warns Page, who breaks the hold and pleads with the ref.

Anderson recovers, and Page turns around into a Spinebuster onto the cowbell. The referee at first refuses to count, but Anderson threatens him. 1, 2, Anderson pulls Page's shoulder up, and lifts him up for a DDT. 1, 2, Anderson does it again, and finally finishes Page after a second DDT, successfully retaining the WCW World Heavyweight Championship AND capturing the US Title in 17:47. (82)

Winner, and STILL WORLD CHAMPION/NEW US CHAMPION: Arn Anderson.

Anderson holds up four fingers to the camera, and security comes out to protect Page, followed by medics with a stretcher.

Final rating: 85

[/center]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/C0NTR4l34ND/IO.jpg

InternationalObjects.com pay-per-view report

and weekend wrestling happenings

• Matt Borne & Terry Gordy have signed with Ohio Valley Wrestling.
  • Paul "The Giant" Wight has captured the NWA Mid Atlantic Universal Championship from Hulk Hogan after six defenses. In a bit of bad timing, Wight also suffered a blown ear drum in the match, but is working through it.
  • Universo, Texano, & Fiera have lost the CMLL World Trios Championship to Brazo de Oro, Lizmark, and Satanico.
  • Last night's WCW pay-per-view managed a 3.96 buyrate, breezing ahead of WWF's In Your House show the previous week, but unable to surpass WWF's buyrate for the always prestigious Royal Rumble event. SuperBrawl was the 2nd highest ranked PPV of the year so far.

Super Brawl Pick em results:

• Doom vs Harlem Heat
  • Uprising vs Guerreros
  • Bagwell vs Riggs
  • Steiners vs Road Warriors
  • Mero vs Jericho vs Rey Jr
  • Malenko vs Austin
  • Page vs Anderson
  • Tag title eventual winner
  • Bonus: Hall of Fame 96

• Chuck: 4 for 9
  • Hashasheen: 3 for 9