Starting a 'strategy guide' for the game

About 2-3 years ago, I asked in amazement why no one's ever made a strategy guide on gamefaqs for this game.

Someone told me, "do it yourself."

In many ways, this is a crazy suggestion. However, in other ways, it's a great idea.

After many many hours spent browsing through the 'small questions' thread, I decided it's finally time to try to organize everything into one resource. Call it a 'help file on steroids.'

It's up and running but there's barely anything on it. I am open to anyone joining if they would like to contribute in some way. What I'd need most are people who are familiar with the Cornellverse, because I've never played it and only play real world mods. I'd like to have explanations/descriptions for each promotion, but since I've never played them, I'm not knowledgable on them at all. I know Ryland's site has some background info, but that's more on the kayfabe storyline history of them and we need practical/strategic/statistical approaches for the site.

Also.. it's wordpress-run. A gamefaqs guide would just be one big unorganized text document, whereas this will be interactive with pictures and cross-linking all over the site. It'll probably take forever, which is why help would be great. Describing every part of the game itself is a daunting task as it is, let alone getting into actual strategy.

So if anyone's interested, sign up!

http://midcardmainstays.com/faq/

There's a forum at the main domain, too. If you'd like, sign up there so any site discussion can take place there rather than clog the forum here. I can/will make a subforum for TEW stuff.

http://tew.wikia.com/wiki/CornellVerse

I love the idea of this but im not to keen on the "I'll create it and everyone else will do all the work" part of it

You're misinterpreting what I said, in part due to my posting this so late at night last night and I probably didn't get my thoughts across that well.

I'm in no way suggesting that everyone else does the work, so don't jump to that assumption. I personally don't care about the Cornellverse but I wanted to include it as others like it a lot. I

Didn't know there was a wikia for it. I can possibly just link to that, but it's not really what I'm looking for, at all. I've never played it and am not sure if I plan to.

Being open to collaborations doesn't in any way translate to "come do all of the work for me!"

More than anything, I want someone to double check the work that I do, not have them do all of the work. I don't feel that confident with my knowledge of the game as it is and having someone else handle the Cornell crap would be a lot better. Then again, like I said, I could care less if it's even there, since I don't play it.

It's open for anyone who wants to add anything, but no one has to. No one has to sign up, no one has to read it, and I don't have to make it....but I am. No one's arm is being twisted or forced into contributing, but I see nothing wrong with suggesting the idea of it.

I think it's a nice idea. I've played the game a hell of a lot, but there's a lot of things I don't really understand because I never go in-depth.

I know there's some answers in the Small Questions thread, and some diaries aimed at guiding beginners, but they're very difficult to find.

You're misinterpreting what I said, in part due to my posting this so late at night last night and I probably didn't get my thoughts across that well.

I'm in no way suggesting that everyone else does the work, so don't jump to that assumption. I personally don't care about the Cornellverse but I wanted to include it as others like it a lot. I

Didn't know there was a wikia for it. I can possibly just link to that, but it's not really what I'm looking for, at all. I've never played it and am not sure if I plan to.

Being open to collaborations doesn't in any way translate to "come do all of the work for me!"

I think the reason Basmat jumped to that conclusion was what you said. In essence, you have no idea how the game is supposed to work because you don't/haven't played the dataset in which the game works perfectly. So basically, your contributions will be limited (or erroneous) because most of your experience in TEW is colored by someone else's vision (whoever made the mod you play most) and not necessarily made to fit within the framework of the game's mechanics. TEW is a game where things are supposed to make sense. You put on bad shows and you fall in size/go out of business. The real world doesn't fit that description (otherwise, why is TNA still in business?) so things have to be fudged in order for the mod to work "properly".

Mind you, I think it's an awesome idea and would make for a great link to toss out when people ask the same question for the eleventy billionth time (search? wth is search?). I actually considered hosting the help file just for that purpose (but I can't be arsed :p). Still a good idea though.

I think it's a nice idea. I've played the game a hell of a lot, but there's a lot of things I don't really understand because I never go in-depth.

I know there's some answers in the Small Questions thread, and some diaries aimed at guiding beginners, but they're very difficult to find.

Thanks! Yeah, that thread is a headache. I'm hoping that the whole tagging concept of running it through a blogging platform will be helpful for any and all.

I think the reason Basmat jumped to that conclusion was what you said. In essence, you have no idea how the game is supposed to work because you don't/haven't played the dataset in which the game works perfectly. So basically, your contributions will be limited (or erroneous) because most of your experience in TEW is colored by someone else's vision (whoever made the mod you play most) and not necessarily made to fit within the framework of the game's mechanics. TEW is a game where things are supposed to make sense. You put on bad shows and you fall in size/go out of business. The real world doesn't fit that description (otherwise, why is TNA still in business?) so things have to be fudged in order for the mod to work "properly".

Mind you, I think it's an awesome idea and would make for a great link to toss out when people ask the same question for the eleventy billionth time (search? wth is search?). I actually considered hosting the help file just for that purpose (but I can't be arsed :p). Still a good idea though.

That's a stretch of an explanation for what he may or may not have been thinking, but I see your point. However, I think the fundamentals of the game are still the same, regardless of whether you're playing the world's perfect mod or the world's worst mod. Throwing together worker A with worker B will result in a good or bad match grade, with a dirt sheet. That's constant whether it's the Cornellverse or not.

Still, that being said, I get what you're saying. I'm sure there will be errors, but that's why there is a comment field on each post and that's why I'm open to assistance. I just take great offense to the implication that I'm looking for everyone else to do all of the work.

It may take me a while as I run a few other websites, but I'll be updating it now and then and anyone is free to throw in their 2 cents (or not). If all of the duplicate questions in that thread were deleted, I swear, that thread would only be like 50 pages long, haha. I'm probably guilty of asking repeat questions myself, but sometimes the search doesn't get the job done. The blog, however, will be great for hosting charts and stuff that rookies and veterans can all constantly refer to... stuff like spillover and "uhh when am I able to sign written contracts?"

This might get me to actually try the Cornellverse though... I'm impressed at how well-rounded the selection of promotions is...the only problem is I don't think I'd know where to start. I've already learned something, too, while doing this project. I didn't notice the 'tour' button on the promotion selection screen ever before... and I found it interesting comparing the different avatar types. It'd be a bit of a fun challenge to try to get Grand Avatar up to international superstar status without running yourself out of business from bad angle ratings. haha.

Archived