Four Corners of Chaos

I really liked your description of the main event, very captivating and fun. Loved Hart's "5 moves of doom" in particular.

Btw, I couldn't help but notice that you got blasted on all your angles because "the crowd wanted action"... might I suggest turning your event match ratio from 90 % to 80 %? Then it won't happen. :)

A third change to my product? I'll do it if it's ok with everyone...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A third change to my product? I'll do it if it's ok with everyone...

Well it's not a major change, perhaps Verne will even let you do it without editing...? They sometimes do.

Anyway, I'm fine with it being edited. Having angles bomb at PPV's no matter how good they may be is too harsh imo.

More good shows. Particularly enjoyed Funk's freak out at Wrestling Classic, and like everyone else was really surprised by the flop of Bret vs Owen. I'm also enjoying the Dustin/Dusty storyline.

On a side note, I really like Sid as part of the flock :)

Well Terry's never had the best self control. I think jobbing Owen out to Rey when I was certain somebody would sign Owen away from me before the ppv just killed his heat. I assume that's what went wrong. Ah the wrestling business.

Oh and I don't know if I mentioned this but he Horsemen/Shatner promo was A* in my books.

Well it's not a major change, perhaps Verne will even let you do it without editing...? They sometimes do.

Anyway, I'm fine with it being edited. Having angles bomb at PPV's no matter how good they may be is too harsh imo.

Yeah. That sonovabitch Verne won't let me drop it, I tested.

Oh and I don't know if I mentioned this but he Horsemen/Shatner promo was A* in my books.

I... agree. The Shatner part was... very well executed. It was almost as if... something grand and... larger than life... was happening.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys...despite my frustration at my grades doing the write-ups is a blast...

Flair, Hogan, Piper, Roberts, Vince McMahon, William Shattn...er...

Even Vince Russo could script a decent promo with this collection of microphone maestros!

...Ok maybe not Russo but still, you get the point :p

Just in time for possible new tv shows, I have released a new version of my mod that includes a picture pack with several additional tv show logos for the major promotions (could still only find the two for AWA, sorry Rick). The list of available tv show logos for our proud companies is now:

AWA: All-Star Wrestling, Championship Wrestling

TNA: Epics, Global Impact!, Impact! (2 versions), Reaction, Xplosion (2 versions)

WCW: Main Event, Monday Nitro (2 versions), Prime, Pro, Saturday Night (2 versions), Thunder, Worldwide (2 versions)

WWF: Action Zone (2 versions), All American Wrestling, Jakked, Livewire, Metal, Monday Night RAW (3 versions), Prime Time Wrestling, Saturday Night's Main Event, Shotgun Saturday Night, Smackdown, Sunday Night Heat, Super Astros, Superstars, The Main Event, Tuesday Night Titans, Wrestling Challenge

WWE (should JackKnifed choose to change their name): After Burn, Bottom Line, Excess, Heat, Monday Night RAW, NXT, On Demand, Smackdown (2 versions), Superstars, Velocity

...now of course, I don't even know if you're using my last batch of logos or whether you even care about that stuff at all. But at least you have something to choose from, if you do. :)

Awesome! Yeah, I'm using your pic pack with just a few additions for guys on my roster... and maybe I got a different AWA logo, but I can't recall since that was so long ago.

If you want: Send me a list of whatever shows up as 'No Logo' on your guy's games and I'll send you the pic I'm using and you can switch it to that (I know it can be annoying to have holes in the pic pack). Or at least what I named the picks I'm using.

I assume your additional TV logos are in the WotW thread? Great work on the mod btw!

I assume your additional TV logos are in the WotW thread? Great work on the mod btw!

Yeah about a month ago or so I re-did all promotion logos, tv shows and events to have the same style - and with my latest release, there are even more tv shows to choose from. It really adds something aesthetically in my own humble opinion, compared to the - I admit - rather shoddily thrown together logos and stuff I had before.

And yes, the download link is in the mod thread.

And thanks. :)

And now some spam!

You should all sign up for the 1987 draft as it's going to be ****ing awesome.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460372

Go do that now.

Good.

Well to be honest, the RW draft we did actually began boring me a bit near the end... and I never really got much into the 80's wrestling scene. Started watching in, I think, 1994.

On a sidenote, I really enjoyed the draft for Four Corners - it's so much more exciting when for an MP game you're actually going to play.

Ha. Well I guess I just enjoy drafting. This one will be much shorter too as it will have fewer participants.

Man, you have got check out the 80s. Truly the golden age of wrestling. Especially before before Vince bought everything. That amazing tag division the WWF had? They were all actually allowed to wrestle in their various promotions before Vinny Mac SporEnted them up. Oh and Japan is pretty amazing around that time. And in mexico: Negro Casas!!!

But I found all this out later on in life. I didn't start watching wrestling until I saw Bret Hart as IC champ and Michaels put Janetty through a barbershop window. So that would have been 94ish I guess?

Man, you have got check out the 80s. Truly the golden age of wrestling. Especially before before Vince bought everything. That amazing tag division the WWF had? They were all actually allowed to wrestle in their various promotions before Vinny Mac SporEnted them up.

A proper tag division in WWF? And they were even allowed to wrestle? Surely, you must be jesting. :eek:

But I found all this out later on in life. I didn't start watching wrestling until I saw Bret Hart as IC champ and Michaels put Janetty through a barbershop window. So that would have been 94ish I guess?

That was in january '92. But close enough. :p

Anyway, I don't really feel that TEW is currently able to properly simulate the 80's, as the NWA cannot be represented in a meaningful way. Not to mention talent trade agreements being too limited.

Well to be honest, the RW draft we did actually began boring me a bit near the end... and I never really got much into the 80's wrestling scene. Started watching in, I think, 1994.

I started watching around 94 too when I was very young and frankly I'm not sure why either of us ever became wrestling fans. A wrestling garbage man, Men On A Mission, awesome wrestling matches involving Sid. If it hadn't been for Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and old VHS that my dad had from years gone by I probably never would have even been a wrestling fan

Although actually I can see how you might've liked it if you got to see WCW I guess. I didn't, not in them days (except on some obscure satelliete channel with German commentary)

I started watching around 94 too when I was very young and frankly I'm not sure why either of us ever became wrestling fans. A wrestling garbage man, Men On A Mission, awesome wrestling matches involving Sid. If it hadn't been for Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and old VHS that my dad had from years gone by I probably never would have even been a wrestling fan

Although actually I can see how you might've liked it if you got to see WCW I guess. I didn't, not in them days (except on some obscure satelliete channel with German commentary)

You know, that's pretty funny - because it was quite the opposite here: I got WCW on local television and could only see WWF on an obscure German channel with dubbed voices, which I have always hated. The few things I remember seeing from WWF back then were The Smoking Gunns, whom I liked (I've always been into tag team wrestling - back when I started watching, I was all over Stars N Stripes) - and I think the last time I watched WWF on German tv was when seeing Goldust knock out Razor Ramon (I did not know any of their names back then though) and proceed to seemingly take his clothes off, which I recall really creeped me out at that age... and not understand a word those Germans said did not help.

But like I said, I grew up with WCW. And boy was I a mark back then... I basically (with exceptions) loved all the babyfaces (I was even into The Renegade!) and hated all the heels. Sting was my number #1, closely followed by Randy Savage. Good times... unfortunately, I think we lost access to WCW shortly into the nWo angle.

EDIT: Funny addendum... I recall once I found some Japanese (probably NJPW) wrestling on Eurosport while visiting my grandmother. But I didn't really like it, it was just a bunch of generic Asian people, added some generic North Americans every now and then... they had no wacky gimmicks or colourful outfits to set them apart from each other, it was just two men fighting in a ring. It was an outrage! It was as if it wasn't even wrestling at all! :eek::D

That was in january '92. But close enough. :p

Thanks man, I'm terrible with dates of things. My brain only does broad eras for some reason.

Anyway, I don't really feel that TEW is currently able to properly simulate the 80's, as the NWA cannot be represented in a meaningful way. Not to mention talent trade agreements being too limited.

Those are definately limitations, but if I want to book Ted DiBiase, The Fabulous Freebirds, Misawa and Stan Hansen I can, which is mostly what I want. Not just those guys in particular. But to book wrestlers I like, broadly. And in one player games I don't find the limited talent trades to be a hinderance.

Unless the guy(s) I want to bring in for a program are already signed to three ppa contracts I just sign them short term. Run their program and let them leave. Then I sign the next batch. I mostly use talent trades to bring in enhancement talent so I don't drag my feds overall momentum down or to bring in guys I can't sign because they don't work in whatever part of the world I'm in.

The reason we would, potentially, run into problems with the talent trading in this game is primarily because we've got guys on written contracts. So that removes the multiple PPA contracts which helps simulate the 80s.

Well I have a guess: We were children. And the WWF at that time was marketed pretty much entirely for children. What's an awesome demonstration of why Vince is not a genius, by the by, is that (at least with myself, but with most people I've talked to who entered wrestling fandom at that time as well) none of the childish crap is what appealed to me as a child. My friends and I were Bret Hart Fans or Shawn Michaels fans. Kona Crush and Duke Drose never stood a chance of selling me a t-shirt. I mean, fine, they were probably geared more towards 7 year old children and I was 11ish I guess. But still.

Oh and I hated WCW. I had never seen it of course. But everyone looked so bland and the production was so cheap and who was that old white haired guy and where did he get off pretending he was World Champion? Yeah, WWF had me in their pocket. Marketing is a hell of a thing to subject a child to. My reaction to WCW was very similar to what you described, Hive, with AJPW, actually.

AND! I don't even know if that's a kid thing: I'm not really into MMA, but I have friends who are. So me and this one friend had an MMA vs Wrestling day where we showed one another some of the best of each and tried to get the other to see what we saw in our perferred choiced in muscled, sweaty men. I was convinced that Misawa vs Kobayashi would win her over being, I reasoned, the most similar to MMA.

There was only one match I showed her that really got her interested and it wasn't from Japan. It wasn't the european chain wrestling. It wasn't Rock vs Austin from Wrestlemania X7 (which I love). No.

It was Mistico vs Averno.

So weird. But maybe there's something about cartoonishness (which is a big part of Lucha Libre and 90s WWF) that is especially appealing to people who know very little about wrestling. I'll have to think about that...

Well that went long.

Well I have a guess: We were children. And the WWF at that time was marketed pretty much entirely for children. What's an awesome demonstration of why Vince is not a genius, by the by, is that (at least with myself, but with most people I've talked to who entered wrestling fandom at that time as well) none of the childish crap is what appealed to me as a child. My friends and I were Bret Hart Fans or Shawn Michaels fans. Kona Crush and Duke Drose never stood a chance of selling me a t-shirt. I mean, fine, they were probably geared more towards 7 year old children and I was 11ish I guess. But still.

Oh and I hated WCW. I had never seen it of course. But everyone looked so bland and the production was so cheap and who was that old white haired guy and where did he get off pretending he was World Champion? Yeah, WWF had me in their pocket. Marketing is a hell of a thing to subject a child to. My reaction to WCW was very similar to what you described, Hive, with AJPW, actually.Well that went long.

First off Crush, in all of his guises, was awesome. Kona Crush being second only to Demolition Crush. Other than that though I'm right with you

I did, for whatever reason, like Duke Droese (I remember vividly laughing with my dad when he came out for the Royal Rumble) but stuff like Max Moon and Avatar. God. Gimme the excellence of execution any day.

And yeah I hated WCW as a kid. Who did these guys think they were? I liked Flyin' Bryan, he was cool. And that Sting guy with the awesome face paint. In fact now that I mention it I got my hair cut like Sting one summer (as a child my hair would go platinum blonde in the summer sun). But I know what you mean about the production values. Christ. It was kinda like being shown a black and white film at that age.

I think, to state the obvious, that much like the "Camel Joe" cigarette ads, Vince McMahon always has, and is D*** good at, marketing to kids. Outside of a short period ('97-2001) during the Attitude Era, WWF (I refuse to call it the WWE) has always had a certain segment of it's product geared towards the under 13 crowd. Hulk-a-mania...Doink the Clown...Super 'You Can't See Me' Ce-Nation...etc. And it's a good strategy. Let's face it, most fans over say 25 have been watching WWF since they were kids...and many kids today are watching it with their dads...who watched it when they were kids! That's building brand loyalty right there. As much as I (and many others) hate the fact that McMahon has effectively killed old school, character based, story driven, kayfabe, 'RASSLIN, in favor of 'Sport's Entertainment', the man's a friggin' genius...and a billionaire.

I think, to state the obvious, that much like the "Camel Joe" cigarette ads, Vince McMahon always has, and is D*** good at, marketing to kids. Outside of a short period ('97-2001) during the Attitude Era, WWF (I refuse to call it the WWE) has always had a certain segment of it's product geared towards the under 13 crowd. Hulk-a-mania...Doink the Clown...Super 'You Can't See Me' Ce-Nation...etc. And it's a good strategy. Let's face it, most fans over say 25 have been watching WWF since they were kids...and many kids today are watching it with their dads...who watched it when they were kids! That's building brand loyalty right there. As much as I (and many others) hate the fact that McMahon has effectively killed old school, character based, story driven, kayfabe, 'RASSLIN, in favor of 'Sport's Entertainment', the man's a friggin' genius...and a billionaire.

pretty much couldn't agree more. Should we stop sidetracking this thread now?

Archived