Creative Ways To Crown Champions?

I'm starting a new save using HGC (using the 1997 C-Verse mod), and because they've just opened in the scenario, there's five vacant championships. I'm looking for inspiration in terms of how I might fill all five vacancies, because it seems a bit vanilla to just decide every new champion by way of a tournament or battle royal. Any suggestions are welcomed.

I will take a 'bland' tournament every day of the week. Especially a random tag partner tournament. Oh man, I'm gonna go book one now.

But before I do:

Round Robin Tournaments (as compared to bracket) are rarely used and underatedly awesome.

Sometimes it's neat to have a press conference and have the booking comittee nominate the top two contenders. WWF did this with the number one contender for the World Title going into Wrestlemania VIII with Hogan and Piper and I think Hart and a couple others all lined and it was wonderful to my 10 year old mind.

Something that maybe is a bit less legitimate, but most unconventional ideas would be, you could have a 5 on 5 (or more) survivor series tag match with the survivors having a match for the title (it would be every man for himself if more than two survive) and if there is only one survivor he would be champion.

I will take a 'bland' tournament every day of the week. Especially a random tag partner tournament. Oh man, I'm gonna go book one now.

But before I do:

Round Robin Tournaments (as compared to bracket) are rarely used and underatedly awesome.

Sometimes it's neat to have a press conference and have the booking comittee nominate the top two contenders. WWF did this with the number one contender for the World Title going into Wrestlemania VIII with Hogan and Piper and I think Hart and a couple others all lined and it was wonderful to my 10 year old mind.

Something that maybe is a bit less legitimate, but most unconventional ideas would be, you could have a 5 on 5 (or more) survivor series tag match with the survivors having a match for the title (it would be every man for himself if more than two survive) and if there is only one survivor he would be champion.

Appreciate the suggestions.

It's not that I'm opposed to running tournaments, it's just that I don't want to be having five tournaments within the first few months of the game. I know that I'll at least be crowning the HGC Heavyweight Champion with an eight man tournament.

If you have some kind of heel authority figure you could have them declare a heel wrestler the ... Champion as an abuse of their power. You probably don't want to do that with your top belt, but it wouldn't be too cheap for one of the lower/mid card belts.

You could even have a worker declare himself to be the best cruiserweight (or whatever applies to the title you want) and start to bring out a title belt with him. Realistically this would mean the belt would have very low prestige, but once you have it defended a bit it would start to gain prestige as it became more legitimate storylinewise.

Finally, another way (again quite cheap) would be for a wrestler/team to be so dominant in their division for a few weeks that the booking committee (whoever is keyfabe in control) decides to award them a title belt.

Tournament (Round Robin, Single Elimination, Double Elimination)

One Match (Ladder, Battle Royale, Gauntlet ...)

You can also use storyline, for example a manager who crown his protege(s) for a midcard title (single, tag team or six-man tag team).

I like round-robins, but another idea that could be used for the main title.

"The Winners Club"...The authority figure announces the main contenders for the championship and tells them whoever is the last man undefeated will be automatically granted the title.

Along the way some young guns can knock off some of the contenders, a few interference finishes to elimnate some, tag team match betrayals.

Just so many possibilities.

I like round-robins, but another idea that could be used for the main title.

"The Winners Club"...The authority figure announces the main contenders for the championship and tells them whoever is the last man undefeated will be automatically granted the title.

Along the way some young guns can knock off some of the contenders, a few interference finishes to elimnate some, tag team match betrayals.

Just so many possibilities.

I like this idea.

Canonically the HGC World title was decided via a battle royale at their January PPV so I always go that way with it. Might not score the highest grades but I quite like it, especially if you basically bring in everyone on the roster to compete, or at the very least have everyone pull double duty to "make things fair" for everyone. Double duty could at least make it so that you have a full undercard as well, giving you a strong semi-main to pull your show up a litte. :)

The tag titles were also decided on the January PPV, probably as the result of a small tag team tournament, which is they way I'd go with that. Vesseys probably beating the team of Robert Oxford and Joel Bryant in the finals, with Oxford and Bryant getting revenge for that in the battle royale to continue that fued.

After those two titles I'd decide the other ones in whatever ever order you prefer, giving the focus to one at a time rather than trying to do them all in short order. I'd do them in the following order, but I'll mention when HGC did them too. :)

Technically the Cruiserweight title didn't debut until November 2000 but I'd push it next, using it like TNA used to use the X division as an exciting attraction instead of a short sideshow. To showcase the awesome skills of the division I tend to use what I call an "Elimination Chase" series of matches. Running for 4 weeks of TV with the title being decided on PPV I start with a 6 man match, and eliminate the loser each week... going through 5 man, 4 man and 3 man matches before deciding the title 1 on 1 at the PPV. Generally works out fairly well and helps a few people develop some skills in the process. :)

The International title didn't debut until July 1997 which isn't far from where I tend to debut it. Having someone as a fighting World champion means that they can beat on some of the rising stars but hold onto the belt... once beaten, those rising stars can prove they are the next big thing when this belt is created, cementing this as a belt for guys who are close to the top but not quite there yet. Generally speaking, I'll hold a simple tournament for this one somewhere down the road, the first singles tournament I'd have by this point. ;)

Lastly (for me and canonically), the Hardcore title didn't debut until February 2002. Obviously it would be sooner than that for me but its not a division I really care about. I tended to book a bunch of the most out of control guys to face each other in another tournament, guys who would often lose matches by simply not being able to work within the rules. From there you introduce a no-rules hardcore division, throw a belt on it and let them fight wherever the fight takes them. Never run this under 24/7 rules but it's something I'd consider if I needed to add another spark to the division.

So yeah.. that's how I do HGC early on. They're my default choice in the CV97 just cos I like the idea of them, though I don't think I've played beyond a year with them so far. :(

Archived