WCW 2001: The Biggest Risk of My Life

In 2000 World Championship Wrestling was in deep, deep trouble. Money was bleeding out as fast and faster than they were making it, Russo and Bischoff were running thinks into the ground on the creative and storylines side of things, while a man by the name of Brad Siegel has just steeped into the money side of things in the last part of 2000.

It was November 15th at about 7:30 PM Eastern Time and I was at home with my wife and kids when I get a ring on the phone. It’s Brad Siegel.

Me: Hello

Brad: Hey, its Brad.

Me: Hey, whats up man? You sound like something’s wrong.

Brad: It’s WCW, we’re 10,000 in the whole and it’s getting worse. I need you man please can you buy this company and use your money to save us. I know you have plenty of it.

Me: Slow down Brad. I know I just won that settlement that gave me millions, but is WCW really a good investment? I just got UFC up and going to were I’m getting a very large amount of money, what should I do with them?

Brad: Sell, trust me it’s a fad. You see whats happening to boxing its a past time. MMA will never be anything special and by 2010 it would be out of business.

Me: I trust you Brad, your a smart guy. I’m going to sell UFC for about 8 million when its worth it then I’ll be laughing when the sucker who gets it is broke.

Brad: Can you meet me in Atlanta Next Monday?

Me: You paying?....No I’m just kidding sure I’d love to.

November, 22, 2000: The Office of Brad Siegel.

Brad: Let Dana in please.

I was let into the office.

Brad: Dana, it’s good to see you.

Me: It’s nice to see you too. So lets get this meeting started.

Brad: I agree, so in the month of October WCW lost 3,000,000 dollars. We need help and your the guy that can do it.

Me: Well, I’d have to think about it but tell me what your plans with me would be.

Brad: Dana, In all honesty I don’t won’t to be involved in WCW Time Warner appointed me, and I’m willing to sell you WCW for 1,500,000 dollars. What do you say?

Me: But the UFC, I know you said it will be a fad but what if it starts to become recognized as a legit sport? I might be losing millions if I invest in WCW and sell UFC.

Brad: Dana, when have i ever told you something that wasn’t true? Sell UFC in a few years law suits will pile up and fans will jump to the new flavor of the month. Please I NEED you to buy this company.

Me: (Deep sigh) Ok, I’ll buy WCW for 1million and I’m going to have all controll over ever thing.

Brad: I have the papers right here, all you need to do is sign here..here..and here

I signed the papers. I know this sounds bad but I might have just thrown away 1 million dollars and if WCW fails and UFC turns out to be huge thats millions more. I might have just made the biggest mistake of my life, but if I can turn WCW around I just might be the smarts man on earth.

So I signed the papers a little more than a month ago it’s now December, 29, 2000 My first show is Monday. Here is what I have planned.

WCW World Championship Scramble Which is a 16 tournament to crown a WCW World Heavyweight Champion The title will be Vacated. The first round will be on a special 3 Hour Monday Nitro.

There are four brackets wrestlers are seeded 1-4

Bracket 1

1. Sting

2. Ric Flair

3. Kanyon

4. Mike Sanders

Bracket 2

1. Goldberg

2. Kevin Nash

3. Sean O’Hair

4. Fit Finlay

Bracket 3

1. Jeff Jarrett

2. Mike Awesome

3. Rey Mysterio jr.

4. Hugh Morris

Bracket 4

1. Scott Steiner

2. DDP

3.Mark Jindrak

4. Crowbar

First Round Matches

Bracket One

Sting Vs Mike Sanders

Ric Flair Vs Kanyon

Bracket Two

Goldberg vs Fit Finlay

Kevin Nash Vs Sean O’Haire

Bracket Three

Jeff Jarrett vs Hugh Morris

Mike Awesome vs Rey Mysterio

Bracket Four

Scott Steiner Vs Crowbar

DDP Vs Mark Jindrak

Bracket One

Sting Vs Mike Sanders

Ric Flair Vs Kanyon

Bracket Two

Goldberg vs Fit Finlay

Bracket Three

Bracket Four

Scott Steiner Vs Crowbar

DDP Vs Mark Jindrak

Bracket One

Sting Vs Mike Sanders

Ric Flair Vs Kanyon

Bracket Two

Goldberg vs Fit Finlay

Bracket Three

Bracket Four

Scott Steiner Vs Crowbar

DDP Vs Mark Jindrak

Definitely going against the grain by picking Kanyon over Flair, but I just have this notion of pushing younger guys. Even if I picked the veterans for the rest :p

Archived