Heavy Mma

Heavy MMA is Open for Business

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3791/heavycomlogo.jpg

In an announcement that shook the world of MMA, HBO Sports and Mark Cuban have joined forces to create what will undoubtedly become the world's foremost MMA Promotional Company, Heavy MMA. Promising multiple points of distribution, unparalleled production values, and a roster that includes all of the world's top Heavyweights, Heavy MMA is set to debut on HBO during the 2nd week of September live on HBO.

In addition to Mark Cuban and HBO, Greg Jackson has been unveiled as the promotions Director of Fighter Development with duties that include sitting on the board of matchmaking for the company. "This is a great opportunity to turn this industry on its ear and to develop a new breed of mixed martial artists in the heavyweight division as we continue to propel this sport forward", said Jackson.

The company will follow the unified rules of MMA, with one notable exception - fights will be contested over 5 3-minute rounds instead of the standard 3x5 or 5x5 format. See below for details surrounding Heavy MMA's inaugural fight card!

Heavy MMA 1: Velasquez Vs. Adrian Peterson for the Heavy MMA Championship

Cain Velasquez (9-0) Vs. Adrian Peterson (6-0)

Tyler Durden (12-0) Vs. Wanderlei Silva (33-11-1)

Brenden Schaub (8-1) Vs. Alex Ovechkin (19-1)

Dave Herman (21-2) Vs. Lyoto Machida (17-2)

Chris Tuchscherer (21-4) Vs. Jon Jones (13-1)

Jackson discusses his Top 10 fighters in Heavy MMA

#10 Reggie Bush (15-2-1) http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2711/reggiebush.jpg

"Reggie has this rare combination of raw atleticism coupled with a mean streak inside the cage that could propel him to the title in short order".

#9 Fabricio Werdum (15-5-1)

"I believe that the best Jiu-Jitsu artist in the world is Werdum. If he gets you to the ground, it's game over".

#8 Lyoto Machida (17-2)

"I know that people, some people anyway, believe that the enigma that is Machida has been solved. I'm not one of those people. Just when his competition got used to his style, he switched it up. I wouldn't be suprised if he rocketed right back to the title".

#7 Jon Jones (14-1)

"Bones is an absolute beast and he hasn't even reached his potential. When it is all said and done his legend will surpass all the fighters that came before him."

#6 Tyler Durden (12-0)

"Here is a guy who is a natural born fighter. He's not trained, he's, in fact, extremely raw, but if he gets you in the cage you have the fight of your life on your hands."

#5 Alex Ovechkin (19-1)

"I call Alex the Mad Russian. With the exception of maybe Anderson Silva, Ovechkin may just be the most prolific striker in the game."

#4 Anderson Silva (28-4)

"I may get blasted for this one, but, while I love Anderson's ability, I have him at #4. He may be number 1, but the guys I have ahead of him are in their prime and, in my mind, are the only guys I believe can beat the Spider."

#3 Chris Johnson (21-2)

"Chirs Johnson is easily the fastest guy in the division. That coupled with his high level acumen in nearly every facet of MMA, and you have a guy that can and will beat anyone on any given night."

#2 Troy Polamalu (17-1)

"Polamalu. Polamalu is so fierce. His ability scares me, and he has the hardest strikes in the game. If he touches you up, it's lights out."

#1 Adrian Peterson (6-0) http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4923/adrianpeterson.jpg

"Peterson is a wel rounded fighter that can beat you in so many ways that it is difficult for me to see anyone out there who can compete at his level. When he is on, it's scary."

Heavy MMA announce first 3 cards!

Heavy MMA 1: Velasquez Vs. Adrian Peterson for the Heavy MMA Championship

Heavy MMA 2: Ochocinco Vs. Silva

Chad Ochocinco (27-5) Vs. Anderson Silva (28-4)

Rampage Jackson (32-8) Vs. Reggie Bush (15-2-1)

Christian Morecraft (7-2) Vs. Rashad Evans (15-1-1)

Anthony Johnson (9-3) Vs. Frank Mir (15-5)

Lavar Johnson (15-4) Vs. Mauricio Rua (19-5)

Heavy MMA 3: Henderson Vs. Polamalu

Dan Henderson (27-8) Vs. Troy Polamalu (17-1)

Daniel Cormier (8-0) Vs. Fedor Emelianenko (31-3)

Ben Rothwell (31-7) Vs. Bobby Lashley (6-1)

Mark Hunt (6-7) Vs. DeSean Jackson (11-3)

Ray Sefo (2-1) Vs. Travis Browne (11-0-1)

HEAVY MMA: GO BIG OR GO HOME!

HEAVY 1 ~ RESULTS!

Serving as the opener, the onus was on Bones Jones and Tuchscherer to deliver a memorable opening stanza for Heavy MMA. Jones delivered by stalking his opponent, peppering him with strikes from the outside, until a crafty feint provided the opening he needed to end the fight by TKO @ 1:54 of the first round. Tuchscherer was clearly outgunned in this one as Jones, ever the aggressor, completely dismantled his foe from the opening bell until landing the series of blows that rolled Tuchscherer’s eyes to the back of his head.

In a back and forth affair that saw Dave Herman land some hellacious strikes against his savvy and defensive foe, it was Machida who was standing at the end after a beautifully timed punch ended the bout by KO @ 2:42 of the third round. Machida was in rare form throughout, and showed his ability to take shots while still having enough of his wits about him to return the favor.

In a bout that was over before many pundits thought it would be, Alex Ovechkin showed why he is considered one of, if not the, preeminent strikers in the world of MMA. Landing a solid kick to Schaub’s head early in the first round, Ovechkin was able to capitalize as he ended the bout by TKO after a hellacious serious of hammer fists @ 1:02 of the first round.

In what was, in the eyes of many fans, the most anticipated bout of the evening, Wanderlei and Durden, sadly, failed to deliver the type of classic match that many expected. Lackluster throughout, neither fighter found an opportunity to really let their hands go as Tyler Durden did enough to win by UD.

After a lackluster co-feature, Cain Velasquez and Adrian Peterson delivered. In a raucous scrap that saw both fighters get into, and subsequently find their way back from, deep waters, it was Cain Velasquez who had his hand raised in the end. Prior to the bout, most fans were touting Adrian Peterson as the probable winner, but Velasquez, as he has done many times before, proved his mettle by weathering a few storms en route to delivering some of his own.

Heavy MMA 1: Velasquez Vs. Adrian Peterson for the Heavy MMA Championship ~ QUICK RESULTS

Cain Velasquez (10-0) Vs. Adrian Peterson (6-1) by UD.

Tyler Durden (13-0) Vs. Wanderlei Silva (33-12-1) by UD.

Brenden Schaub (8-2) Vs. Alex Ovechkin (20-1) by TKO (Strikes) @ 1:02 of Rnd 1.

Dave Herman (21-3) Vs. Lyoto Machida (18-2) by KO (Punch) @ 2:42 of Rnd 3.

Chris Tuchscherer (21-5) Vs. Jon Jones (14-1) by TKO (Strikes) @ 1:54 of Rnd 1.

Greg Jackson’s Top 10

#10 Junior Dos Santos (13-1)

Junior is fierce, we know that, but given the competition, the question becomes, where does he fit in? Well, he’s always been a top 15 guy to me, but after Heavy MMA 1, I think it is safe to say that he belongs in the top 10, especially when you factor in Adrian Petersons fall from the Top 10, which pushes Dos Santos back into the field.

#9 Reggie Bush (15-2-1)

Reggie is, in my mind, one of the most exciting fighters we have under contract in Heavy. A win against Rampage at Heavy 2 would propel him to the top 5, a loss, however, and he will be lost in the shuffle. I think that his speed will carry the day against Rampage, but, as we all know, if Rampage catches him then all bets are off.

#8 Cain Velasquez (10-0)

With what many are calling an upset victory against Adrian Peterson, you have to put Cain in the top 10. I’m not completely sold on him yet, but with talks starting to heat up around a possible Championship defense against Chris Johnson, we may well see just how good Velasquez is.

#7 Jon Jones (14-1)

After a win against a less than stellar opponent, you can see that, with Jones as one of our biggest stars, the future for Heavy MMA is pretty bright. There are preliminary discussions taking place regarding a potential matchup with Shane Carwin in his future, and should he pass that test, perhaps a shot at the title will be looming for the young standout.

#6 Tyler Durden (13-0)

It’s no secret that I am big on Tyler Durden as he is easily one of the most exciting fighters in the game. I’d have him higher on this list if his matchup against Wanderlei Silva lived up to the hype. If he can deliver a passionate performance his next time out, it will be hard to keep him out of the Top 5.

#5 Lyoto Machida (18-2)

Machida looked good against Dave Herman at Heavy MMA 1, and really showed his durability and his ability to dish out some bombs when in trouble. It was a great performance, and with a possible tilt against Chris Leben on tap, here is another guy who could see himself fighting for the title sooner rather than later.

#4 Alex Ovechkin (20-1)

The Mad Russian put it down cold against Brendan Schaub at Heavy MMA 1, and showed significant growth in his already versatile striking game. It will be interesting to see who he squares off against next.

#3 Troy Polamalu (17-1)

Troy has a very interesting and tough fight against Dan Henderson scheduled, and with a win will position himself for Championship consideration. It’s a tough matchup that will either cement his Top 3 status, or move him behind some of the great competitors further down this list. Polamalu drops bombs, and I think he will be the first man to knock Henderson out.

#2 Anderson Silva (28-4)

I take a lot of heat for going back and forth on Silva as a lot of my peers have him rated #1. With a win against a very tough Chad Ochocinco, it will be hard not to rate him at #1.

#1 Chris Johnson (21-2)

Johnson has it all, and after seeing his training regimen, I had to move him up to the #1 slot. He’s committed, looks as sharp as ever, and is the closest thing I have seen to unbeatable in a very long time. I have him taking the title from Velasquez @ Heavy MMA if we can get the deal done.

HEAVY 2 COMING SOON!

Heavy MMA 2: Ochocinco Vs. Silva

Chad Ochocinco (27-5) Vs. Anderson Silva (28-4)

Rampage Jackson (32-8) Vs. Reggie Bush (15-2-1)

Christian Morecraft (7-2) Vs. Rashad Evans (15-1-1)

Anthony Johnson (9-3) Vs. Frank Mir (15-5)

Lavar Johnson (15-4) Vs. Mauricio Rua (19-5)

Tyler Durden signs 5 fight Extension

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7910/tylerdurdenpsd64910.jpg

It was announced today that Tyler Durden has signed a 5 fight extension with Heavy MMA. Company officials stated, in a short press release, that they are excited to extend their relationship with the highly regarded fighter and that they look forward to promoting him as his career in MMA continues to unfold.

"Well, what this means to me is that I am guaranteed a crack at five more guys in Heavy MMA. It's cool. Ultimately, I want to fight, and destroy, them all, but for now 5 more will do", said Durden when pressed for his opinion on the deal.

Talks are underway with Aaron Rosa to serve as Durden's next opponent. While not the fight that some fans may want, it does, according to Greg Jackson, represent a step in the right direction for the fighter. Some other names are being bandied about as well, so we will see who Tyler ends up in the cage with next.

Archived