Marvel mod circa 1991

What the title says. Don't have a fancy name for it yet, but will likely come up with something explosive later.

Having fiddled a lot more with the editor than actually playing the game so far, I'm impressed with the vast options available. The complexity convinced me however that making an extensive mod (such as this) would be quite a task, so if anyone would like to participate in this that would be cool. If not, that's cool as well - I'll work on it as time and mental energy permits.

I'll be starting with the X-Men universe and build it from there (I choose 1991 because that's when X-Men #1 came out). I may take some artistic liberties here and there if necessary (mainly thinking that minor continuity tweaks could be necessary). I will try to do the rest of the Marvel universe justice as well, but as mentioned it will be X-Men heavy - meaning that I will attempt to include alternate timelines such as Days of Future Past and Age of Apocalypse. And, if it turns out feasible, I will throw in The Exiles and some of their most interesting alternate dimensions.

I'd like to emphasize however that the mod will be Marvel only. Unless I change my mind. Which I doubt. But cannot rule out. Though most likely not.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current editing guidelines (subject to both change and discussion):

Stats

I'm using this site for stats:

http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cast_list/all.htm

with their benchmark explanations here:

http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/...benchmarks.htm

Marvel RPG --> Comic Book Hero

(All MRPG stats multiplied by 10 for CBH conversion)

Agility --> Agility

Strength --> Strength

Endurance --> Endurance

Reason --> Reasoning

Intuition --> Cunning

Psyche --> Willpower

Agility +/- 50-150, depending on whether he's a melee og long range fighter --> Reactions

(Strength+Endurance)/2 --> Tougness

(Endurance+Fighting)/2 --> Stamina

Stamina +/- 1-200 --> Recovery

??? (case by case measurement) --> Technological

Tweaks can of course be made here and there from this site, if necessary - but I'm mostly following this to the letter.

Another interesting source is Marvel's very own (but limited in scope) classification system:

http://marvel.com/universe/OHOTMU:Power_Grids

And here, a handy list of everyone falling into every level in each cathegory:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Power_Grid

Popularity

One thing I'm a bit confused about, however, is how to handle popularity... how is it defined? Popularity for readers? Popularity in the ingame world? Popularity between ingame characters? For instance, Professor X isn't one of the most recognizable and popular characters... yet he's so powerfull and respected in the Marvel universe that he needs somewhat of a high pop... right? Ideas....?

Pictures

Rule #1: every character that can be represented by a Jim Lee drawing shall be represented by a Jim Lee drawing. :p

For Spider-Man specifically, Mark Bagley is prefered.

For Age of Apocalypse specifically, the specific AoA manga-style drawings.

ATD and locations (perhaps subject to change)

Areas: Earth, The Moon, Kree Homeworld, Asteroid M, Asgaard, etc, etc.

Timezones: Present day, Days of Future Past, WWII, etc, etc.

Dimension: Earth-616, Earth-295, etc, etc.

Locations: New York, Toyko, Crystal Palace, Savage Land, San Francisco, Atlantis, etc, etc.

If it's heavily based around X-Men #1, maybe title it "Blue and Gold," or "Mutant Genesis" after the TPB with X-Men #1 in it?

Actually, I don't think I'll split up The X-Men in two teams - as there's currently no way to connect two teams in any way. So it will one huge X-Men team instead, sadly.

If you need any help, I can work on the Cosmic Marvel going on at the time, since it's the Infinity Gauntlet event a personal favorite.

And since I'm working on a modern cosmic marvel mod, all I would have to do was port the characters, tweak pictures, stats and dialogue.

If you need any help, I can work on the Cosmic Marvel going on at the time, since it's the Infinity Gauntlet event a personal favorite.

That would be awesome, as I don't really know much about cosmic marvel at all. Heck, I had to just wiki this Infinity Gauntlet saga just to get a feeling of what you were talking about. :o

And since I'm working on a modern cosmic marvel mod, all I would have to do was port the characters, tweak pictures, stats and dialogue.

Don't mind pictures, as I for the most part will try to find pictures by only my favourite artists (it will be heavy on Jim Lee who, thankfully, did a bunch of different Marvel series at one point or the other).

Ah 1991 what an interesting time.. lots of stuff going on both good (orginalInfinity Gauntlet, orginalCarnage story, ) and bad (NFL Superpro, Darkhawk, Punisher getting plastic surgery to be a black man for 3 issues, Rob Liefeld art, and all the "Collectors Issues" that lead to the bust)

I'm pretty well versed on this time frame, and can offer assistance if needed

Here are scans of the 1991 series of trading cards if you haven't seen it. While not a full roster it has around 90 pre-written bios and group affiliation info, even for a number of more obscure characters and a basic outline of stats.

http://marvel.com/images/gallery/story/1098/images_from_make_mine_marvel_marvel_universe_trading_cards_series_2/image/83570

Darkhawk wasn't really that bad and Superpro is just silly :D

But he will have a handful on the X-men alone that's for sure.

Yeah, X-Men could easily be their own universe, at times it seems like they are (in this era of the 90's)

I'm not sure who is sillier NFL SuperPro or US-1 the bionic trucker with a steel plate in his head that allows him to hear CB radio traffic.

Here are scans of the 1991 series of trading cards if you haven't seen it. While not a full roster it has around 90 pre-written bios and group affiliation info, even for a number of more obscure characters and a basic outline of stats.

http://marvel.com/images/gallery/story/1098/images_from_make_mine_marvel_marvel_universe_trading_cards_series_2/image/83570

Thanks but I'm using another source for stats. Interesting stuff though. :)

Could you not have X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold, and just X-Men as a combined team? Having started following comics around this time (I actually have X-Men #1) that seems a fairly reasonable representation of the way the groups worked.

You know what, that's actually not a bad idea. I think I'll go with that. Thanks.

Alright, today I really dug into the editor and got a feel for it. I have my stack of Marvel RPG books, encyclopedias, and other supplemental materials next to me and I'm offering my services for any non-mutant related work.

Any help would be appreciated. What would you like to do? :)

Any help would be appreciated. What would you like to do? :)

I think that is a better question for me to ask you what you want me to do? I'll do any thing needed:) I have worked as a member of mod teams for other games, flight sims, but this is something I have more passion for and early 90s is (embarrassingly?) my favorite era probably because I was a teenager and the target audience. Anyways, willing to commit my time to make this a success.

My areas of expertise:

1991 Material Related to:

Spiderman

Thor

Fantastic Four

Ironman

Punisher

New Warriors

Ghost Rider

Obscure Characters

Somewhat Familiar:

Daredevil

Avengers

Avengers West Coast

Captain America

The other stuff I have passing knowledge of, but would need to do a lot of (fun) research. In fact the one area of Marvel I have very little interest in is mutant stuff.

I can create characters, locations, whatever is needed. Just give me some direction and I'll make it happen :)

We would just need to get on the same sheet of music for the powers so all characters are balanced in harmony with each other, IE make sure your interpretation of "small physical impact melee level 1" and mine are the same :)

1991 Material Related to:

Spiderman

Thor

Fantastic Four

Ironman

Punisher

New Warriors

Ghost Rider

Obscure Characters

Somewhat Familiar:

Daredevil

Avengers

Avengers West Coast

Captain America

I know near to nothing about pretty much everything except Spider-Man from this particular period (I was sooooo high on X-Men and Spidey back then and followed both with passion), so feel free to take a go at those. I'll do Spidey myself then when done with X-Men.

The other stuff I have passing knowledge of, but would need to do a lot of (fun) research.

Yeah I can get lost for hours reading about old Marvel stuff, if time permits. :D

In fact the one area of Marvel I have very little interest in is mutant stuff.

:eek:

I'm shocked, as it's my favourite of them all... but then again, that's the beauty of a collaboration. :)

I can create characters, locations, whatever is needed. Just give me some direction and I'll make it happen :)

Locations would be sweet as well, all I have right now is New York and the Crystal Palace (for the Exiles).

We would just need to get on the same sheet of music for the powers so all characters are balanced in harmony with each other, IE make sure your interpretation of "small physical impact melee level 1" and mine are the same :)

Definately. I'm using this site for stats:

http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/house_rules/benchmarks.htm

I'm basically just multiplying their stats with 10 to fit with the CBH standards. There are, of course, some stats present in CHB that are not on this site... but in those cases, I just pretty much (with small variations) based two CBH stats on one stats from this site - like endurance and toughness both being based on endurance. In most cases, when reading the descriptions of the stats on this site, they actually do include the CHB counterparts (or close enough). Tweaks can of course be made here and there from this site, if necessary - but I'm mostly following this to the letter.

One thing I'm a bit confused about, however, is how to handle popularity... how is it defined? Popularity for readers? Popularity in the ingame world? Popularity between ingame characters? For instance, Professor X isn't one of the most recognizable and popular characters... yet he's so powerfull and respected in the Marvel universe that he needs somewhat of a high pop... right?

Sweet, I'm very familiar with that site, and I have actual copies of all the books they use.

If you are going to do Spidey I'll start with Thor and related stuff probably the Alt for him after he kills Loki.

I'll come up with a list of stuff for Thor and post it on here, then update when I'm done.

I'm going to check out that thread Ockbald mentioned too.

As for mutants, I guess it was just my taste at the time I was into the stories in the other books, and I had a hard time keeping up with 3 different Spidey books (never read "Web of" and seldom "Spectacular") let alone the 900 different X books (seemingly) :)

Edit: Also I'm not sure how to handle popularity either, it seems as the game handles it in a level of power way but I'm not 100% sure

If you are going to do Spidey I'll start with Thor and related stuff probably the Alt for him after he kills Loki.

Thor did WHAT? :eek:

As for mutants, I guess it was just my taste at the time I was into the stories in the other books, and I had a hard time keeping up with 3 different Spidey books (never read "Web of" and seldom "Spectacular") let alone the 900 different X books (seemingly) :)

Well I should probably mention that we didn't get a lot of Marvel here at the time, so I pretty much just read everything they published... which was, at the time, limited to 1 X-Men book, 2 Spidey books and 1 Hulk book with some Wolverine, Daredevil and Punisher stories in the back (the editors here choose "the best" stories from the various American books for us). I liked Web of Spider-Man but pretty much hated Spectacular. Loved Amazing. Can you imagine that I got X-Men #1 and the issue where Carnage first popped up in Spider-Man the same month? That's when I was sucked into Marvel... oh the memories.

Anyway, got side-tracked there. Any thoughts on popularity? Right now, I have Professor X as "major league" but am in no way sure that's the way to go...

Definately. I'm using this site for stats:

http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/house_rules/benchmarks.htm

I'm basically just multiplying their stats with 10 to fit with the CBH standards. There are, of course, some stats present in CHB that are not on this site... but in those cases, I just pretty much (with small variations) based two CBH stats on one stats from this site - like endurance and toughness both being based on endurance. In most cases, when reading the descriptions of the stats on this site, they actually do include the CHB counterparts (or close enough). Tweaks can of course be made here and there from this site, if necessary - but I'm mostly following this to the letter.

One thing I'm a bit confused about, however, is how to handle popularity... how is it defined? Popularity for readers? Popularity in the ingame world? Popularity between ingame characters? For instance, Professor X isn't one of the most recognizable and popular characters... yet he's so powerfull and respected in the Marvel universe that he needs somewhat of a high pop... right?

Populairty would be how they're considered a) by the civilians of the world and b) how they're considered by the other heroes. How we consider them shouldn't come into it, should it?

Populairty would be how they're considered a) by the civilians of the world and b) how they're considered by the other heroes. How we consider them shouldn't come into it, should it?

I agree, but even that causes trouble for me. Because how many civilians know Professor X? Pretty much none. But like I said, he's highly respected/feared by the other superpowered beings. So what to do? :confused:

Thor did WHAT? :eek:

Well I should probably mention that we didn't get a lot of Marvel here at the time, so I pretty much just read everything they published... which was, at the time, limited to 1 X-Men book, 2 Spidey books and 1 Hulk book with some Wolverine, Daredevil and Punisher stories in the back (the editors here choose "the best" stories from the various American books for us). I liked Web of Spider-Man but pretty much hated Spectacular. Loved Amazing. Can you imagine that I got X-Men #1 and the issue where Carnage first popped up in Spider-Man the same month? That's when I was sucked into Marvel... oh the memories.

Anyway, got side-tracked there. Any thoughts on popularity? Right now, I have Professor X as "major league" but am in no way sure that's the way to go...

I'll have to think about popularity to come up with an idea for it, I'm at a loss like you are at the moment.

Thor killed Loki in like March 1991 (issue 450 I think), forcing his soul to be given to Mephisto, but Eric was granted the powers of Thor, so we got bearded Thor (Thunderstrike). It was a way to try to re-brand the book.