Marvel mod circa 1991

Thor killed Loki in like March 1991 (issue 450 I think), forcing his soul to be given to Mephisto, but Eric was granted the powers of Thor, so we got bearded Thor (Thunderstrike). It was a way to try to re-brand the book.

Never heard of that. Cool.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but even that causes trouble for me. Because how many civilians know Professor X? Pretty much none. But like I said, he's highly respected/feared by the other superpowered beings. So what to do? :confused:

Well at least you don't have to worry about what the readers think. Lol.

So that's one less variable!

Personally I'd give Professor Xavier a Major League rating, he's the face of mutanthood, the one they put up front and centre for interviews on the news.

It gets tougher with a Logan, who everyone in the know knows he's a bad ass, even if comparatively underpowered, but the general world knows very little about him.

Personally I'd give Professor Xavier a Major League rating, he's the face of mutanthood, the one they put up front and centre for interviews on the news.

That's pretty much what I reasoned as well. I just expect lots of characters giving me grey hair over this popularity issue...

It gets tougher with a Logan, who everyone in the know knows he's a bad ass, even if comparatively underpowered, but the general world knows very little about him.

This pretty much goes for all the mutants except Magneto and those who have been a member of The Avengers, I'd argue. Noone really knows them in the general populace.

That's pretty much what I reasoned as well. I just expect lots of characters giving me grey hair over this popularity issue...

This pretty much goes for all the mutants except Magneto and those who have been a member of The Avengers, I'd argue. Noone really knows them in the general populace.

I suppose not in '91, things are a little different tday with the likes of Utopia etc.

I suppose not in '91, things are a little different tday with the likes of Utopia etc.

I haven't followed Marvel a lot in recent years, bar a few arcs here and there... so don't really know anything about Utopia. But I'd assume after events such as M-Day that mutants got a bit more on the map... but in 1991, the original X-Factor (being the original X-Men) had only just been outed as mutants. Mutants were still pretty much a mystery in those days...

*Reserving Post For My WIP/Completed List*

WIP (All 616)

Areas:

Locations:

Characters:

Thor

Hercules

Loki

Odin

Frey

Tyr

Enchantress

Teams:

Completed:

Areas:

Asgard

Mount Olympus

Characters: (Sans proper pictures)

Ulik the Rock Troll

Absorbing Man

Growing Man

Do you think Asgard, Mount Olympus, Hades, etc. should be 'areas' or Perhaps (for game engine purposes) making them locations in an area called "Axis Mundi" or something.

I think they should be seperate areas, personally. That way we can properly restrict travel to them.

I think they should be seperate areas, personally. That way we can properly restrict travel to them.

Yeah, you are probably right, while there were cases of Thor and company traveling to mount Olympus and Hercules going to Asgard, it was for specific things, certainly don't need guys randomly jumping between the places for no good reason.

What are you using as an 'appearances' benchmark, for villains especially?

I'm doing Ulik right now, and can't decide whether to put him at occasional or rare, of course we'll need to get the full version and really play with it to see how it works in game terms.

I'm thinking "rare" for only characters that very rarely appear... like, say, Galactus.

Sounds good, I've set Ulik to 'Occasional' but his travel to 'rarely' to 'modern city' with inter-area travel set to 'yes' and his travel status to 'nearly perm'

Meaning now and then he'll leave Asgard for Earth and go to NYC but it should be extremely rare and he will appear more in Asgardian locations. Hopefully the rare times he is on a rampage in NYC poor Frank Castle won't come across him :eek:

Sound like good logic?

I'm finding it extremely hard to do power levels, anyone have a good grip on that?

To be perfectly honest, no. I thought I did, but I have started to doubt myself or thinking I might be biased. That is my concern that with a collaberation effort there might be balance issues. I have been going over the default data in detail trying to use that as a basis, but it has been quite tedious.

I think once we get everything merged together there are going to be a lot of balance issues to tweak.

Too bad there isn't an option (that I have noticed anyways) like WMMA to have a 'single battle' where you can choose the participants. That would make balancing a lot easier.

I'm finding it extremely hard to do power levels, anyone have a good grip on that?

Me and Kcoll are using this guideline here:

STATS GUIDELINES

Average human = 250.

2* human = 450

Peak human (Black Panther, Captain America) = 600

50 tonner (Ms. Marvel) = 750

100 tonner (Wonder Man, Collusus) = 800

100+ tonner (Hulk, Thor, Sentry etc) 850

Thanos = 900

Celestials, Skyfathers = 950

Me and Kcoll are using this guideline here:

STATS GUIDELINES

Average human = 250.

2* human = 450

Peak human (Black Panther, Captain America) = 600

50 tonner (Ms. Marvel) = 750

100 tonner (Wonder Man, Collusus) = 800

100+ tonner (Hulk, Thor, Sentry etc) 850

Thanos = 900

Celestials, Skyfathers = 950

Yeah I noticed that, good idea. But it's not so much a problem with stats as it is a problem with the powers... I simply have no idea how to evaluate them properly, and it's my biggest problem currently.

Yeah I noticed that, good idea. But it's not so much a problem with stats as it is a problem with the powers... I simply have no idea how to evaluate them properly, and it's my biggest problem currently.

The default database is always a good place to start, as that's already balanced. By mimicking the power levels used there you can make a solid start, and simply tweak them through playtesting if you need them to change.

The default database is always a good place to start, as that's already balanced. By mimicking the power levels used there you can make a solid start, and simply tweak them through playtesting if you need them to change.

Any chance of getting a "quick battle" feature like the "quick match" feature in WMMA3? If not in a patch maybe in the sequel? ;)

As the creator, just for reference what power level would you give a full powered Hulk punch Thunderous 7, Ultimate 3, only Super 9, etc. ?

I've modeled the Marvel Hercules nearly identical to the InfinityVerse version, and then modeled Thor in relation to him.

You are right, it's just that it takes a long long time trying to find a character similar to the ones I'm adding due to lack of power/attribute filters in the search. All I have to go from is reading their bios. But maybe I should try to look at it more generalistic, eg. "iconic characters have these power levels, major league have these", etc.

I've modeled the Marvel Hercules nearly identical to the InfinityVerse version, and then modeled Thor in relation to him.

Splendid idea.

<p>I'm looking at the Classic RPG, and that's really helpful, but I'm just curious about the conversion. </p><p> </p><p>

For example: I'm looking at Batman:</p><p> </p><p>

Reason: Incredible. Converted would be: 31-32. CBH would be 310-320. </p><p> </p><p>

To me, this is just above average for a human? When someone is lauded as "The World's Greatest Detective", how would that fit in the CBH world? How many people, in your opinion, would have better Reasoning than Batman?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Payne" data-cite="Payne" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="32612" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm looking at the Classic RPG, and that's really helpful, but I'm just curious about the conversion. <p> </p><p> For example: I'm looking at Spiderman:</p><p> </p><p> Fighting: Remarkable</p><p> Agility: Amazing</p><p> Strength: Incredible...</p><p> </p><p> What's better? How does it relate? How does it translate to 1 to 1000?</p><p> </p><p> What are you guys using for a basis?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Take a look at the benchmark page, which I also linked to. It ranks the stats from 1-100, and then it's just a question of adding a zero.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Payne" data-cite="Payne" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="32612" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Ah, Hive. I kind of found around that, and re-edited my post, lol!!!!<p> </p><p> That new question still fits.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> For me, humans top out around 800.</p><p> </p><p> So Batman would tap out at about 800 for reasoning, same with a Luthor I'd guess.</p><p> </p><p> Who would be higher than a Batman? Someone who has a mind beyond that of a human, for example Thanos, or a Skyfather like Zeus or a Celestial, they dominate the high 800s and beyond.</p><p> </p><p> Smartest humans are the likes of T'Challa, Banner, Pym, and Richards.</p><p> </p><p> High Evolutionary is beyond that level.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="KColl" data-cite="KColl" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="32612" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>For me, humans top out around 800.<p> </p><p> So Batman would tap out at about 800 for reasoning, same with a Luthor I'd guess.</p><p> </p><p> Who would be higher than a Batman? Someone who has a mind beyond that of a human, for example Thanos, or a Skyfather like Zeus or a Celestial, they dominate the high 800s and beyond.</p><p> </p><p> Smartest humans are the likes of T'Challa, Banner, Pym, and Richards.</p><p> </p><p> High Evolutionary is beyond that level.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The numbers based on the RPG game would have the smartest humans (Richards) At 500.</p>