March 26 2001: The return of the UWF!

Monday March 26, 2001

Sting had just made Ric Flair tap out to the Scorpion Death Lock and both men stood in the ring embracing. The crowd was on their feet, giving these two fine athletes a huge ovation when and unfamiliar country tune began to play. Everything stopped all at once and out from the back with mic in hand walked out “Cowboy” Bill Watts! The stunned silence of the crowd extended to the announcers and what felt like an eternity passed before Bill broke it by speaking.

Bill Watts: Judging by that reaction, I assume your all a little surprised to see me out here. I’m betting you were all expecting Vince McMahon to ride out and dance of WCW’s grave. Well, if it wasn’t for a last minute phone call from a close friend that very well could have been exactly what happened. Now before you all get too excited, my presence here tonight does not mean in anyway, shape, or form that WCW is surviving beyond tonight.

You see, I only bought WCW for one reason and one reason only…UWF! For those of you who are unfamiliar with the UWF let me give you all a little history lesson. I ran a little company called Mid South Wrestling. I, like many other promoters of the day, was part of the NWA. Now, to spare you all the boring details, let’s just say I and some other fellows left the NWA and struck out on our own. I turned Mid South into the best damn wrestling promotion around and dominated TV on TBS for months. I was ready to take over wrestling completely in the U.S. when a little piss ant named Jim Barnett made a deal that put Jim Crocket Promotions on TBS and took my show off. I didn’t quit though, and I re-launched Mid South as the Universal Wrestling Federation. Now the UWF had all the talent, vision, and momentum to become huge but what we didn’t have was time. You see a small oil crisis killed the economy in the south and I was forced to sell the UWF to the JCP. Fast forward a bit and the JCP was sold to Ted Turner and he changed it to this sad sack called the WCW. Well, I bought the WCW and so I now own what was once mine and what will be mine forever more!

I may not have Ted’s money, I might not have the TV timeslots WCW once held, I don’t even have a Pay Per View deal lined up. What I do have is the UWF, a pool of very talented wrestlers, and a desire to make the UWF the number one promotion in the world. It’s going to be one heck of a ride and I hope each and every one of you will join us at UWF presents Rebirth of Wrestling live from the Mid South Coliseum on Sunday April 29th! Goodnight and God bless…

Special PW411 report:

UWF Releases several wrestlers!

Dewayne Bruce, Tylene Buck, Madusa Micelli, Kimberly Page, Vampiro, and Kevin Sulliven all were released by the UWF after the successful WCW takeover bid by Bill Watts. Upon the release of his wife, Kimberly Page, “Diamond” Dallas Page asked for his release and was granted it. Several other wrestlers expressed concern about the direction of the company and Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner, Buff Bagwell, Lex Luger, and Konnan asked for and received their releases as well. Also of note, Eric Bischoff was removed from his position as president of and he will no longer be employed by UWF in any fashion. Keep chcking back here as more news from this huge UWF revival is reported here!

Bill Watts in charge of WCW again? :eek:

What could possess you to commit such heinous deeds...

Well, technically it's not WCW it is UWF...and secondly he is the only mind that can take Vinny Mac down! Bill has a mind for the buisness like no other and only time will tell if he can turn UWF into the huge success he always thought it could be.

PW411 Special Report

House Cleaning Continues!

Just days after the release of several big names wrestlers, the UWF has now released several members of its staff as well as several on air workers. The list of names released include: Scott Hudson, Midajah, Leia Meow, Scott Armstrong, Larry Zbyszko, and Gene Okerlund. It appears no one’s job is secure in UWF and we believe several more releases may be forth coming.

Well, technically it's not WCW it is UWF...and secondly he is the only mind that can take Vinny Mac down! Bill has a mind for the buisness like no other and only time will tell if he can turn UWF into the huge success he always thought it could be.

His mind for the business and style is old fashioned, no frills, stiff fighting. Great back in the eighties as a contrast to the NWA or the WWF, but in the modern day? I don't know...

A Special PW411 report:

Title Confusion?

It appears Bill is at it again because reports are coming in that the UWF will not reconise the championships of WCW and instead unveil several new ones at UWF presents Rebirth of Wrestling. Among the new titles being unveiled we have learned their will be a Universal Championship, a Universal Tag Championship, and a Universal Trio Championship. No word on whether or not UWF will have a cruiserweight, hardcore, or women’s championship but early indications are that all three of these divisions will not be used in UWF.

Thanks Dean, your NWA dynasty helped push me to decide to bring UWF into a new era. I'm a little saddened that Bill was let go so early in your dynasty...

Hey thanks for reading it. Yeah Bill Watts was a very negative influence backstage and there was an incident so I felt I had to let him go. Which was a shame I agree. But now I get to see him used here is great

PW411 Special Report:

Isolationist?

Another day passes and another huge move from Bill Watts and the UWF. Watts and the UWF have broken ties with both NJPW and NWA: Wildside. As you know NJPW was responsible for bringing in big name Japenese superstars such as Jushin Thunder Liger, The Great Muta, Masahiro Chono, Ultimo Dragon, and Sonny Onoo. Whether or not this means UWF will stay away from the Japenese style or not remains to be seen. NWA: Wildside was being used as a developmental promotion for WCW and as of now the contracts of Chris Harris, James Storm, Air Paris, AJ Styles, Cassidy O’Riley, Bob Sapp, Mark Johnson, and David Flair are up in the air.

Pro Wrestling Torch Report:

Shane Douglas on Letterman!

Last night Shane Douglas appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman. Shane spent the majority of his interview time complaining about not getting the opportunities he deserved due to people like Ric Flair holding him back. David tried to steer things back toward UWF presents Rebirth of Wrestling but Shane used his time on air to continue to bad mouth Ric Flair. Early word from the Watts camp is that Shane may be looking for a new job very soon…

From the Desk of Dave Meltzer:

Huge signings!

Once more Bill Watts shocks the wrestling industry as he has managed to sign Tiger Mask, Juventud Guerrera, and Hector Guerrero. No one knows what plans Bill has in store for these international stars but if their signing is any indication, UWF is not going to disappoint fans of WCW’s old cruiserweight division.

PW411 news report:

Women can wrestle?

It seems like we can’t go a day without getting some kind of shock from the UWF. Today we have learned UWF is planning on having a Lethal Ladies Division. The division is being headed up by none other than Sherri Martel. The talent for the division seemed to be made up of mostly young up and comers as the only well known female wrestler in it is Akira Hokoto. Among the women brought in to be in the division is Allison Corino, Annie Social, Katarina Waters, Lauren Williams, Lisa Marie Varon, Mickie James, Shelly Martinez, and Tracy Brookshaw. It is also being suggested that Daffney Unger will compete in the Lethal Ladies division.

The UWF Roster Revealed!

After days of wondering we have finally been given a complete list of wrestlers working for UWF. Please note we have no idea where any of these men fall on Bill Watts rankings so they are simply in alphabetical order.

Singles

Alan Funk

Alex Wright

Bam Bam Bigelow

Bill DeMott

Bill Goldberg

Billy Kidman

Booker T

Brian Adams

Bryan Clark

Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Chris Kanyon

Chuck Palumbo

Dave Finlay

Devon Storm

Don Harris

Dustin Rhodes

Elix Skipper

Ernest Miller

Evan Karagias

Glenn Gilbertti

Hector Guerrero

Jaime Knoble

Jeff Jarrett

Jerry Tuite

Jim Duggan

Jimmy Yang

Johnny Stamboli

Juventud Guerrera

Kaz Hayashi

Lance Storm

Lash Leroux

Mark Jindrak

Meng

Mike Awesome

Mike Sanders

Norman Smiley

Rey Mysterio Jr.

Ric Flair

Rick Cornell

Rick Steiner

Road Warrior Animal

Ron Harris

Sean O’Haire

Shane Douglas

Shane Helms

Shannon Moore

Shawn Stasiak

Sid Vicious

Sting

Terry Funk

Tiger Mask

Tiger Mask IV

Vito LoGrasso

Lethal Ladies

Akira Hokuto

Allison Corino

Annie Social

Daffney Unger

Katarina Waters

Lauren Williams

Lisa Marie Varon

Mickie James

Shelly Martinez

Tracy Brookshaw

Managers

Chavo Guerrero: Manages Chavo Guerrero Jr. & Hector Guerrero

Miss Jones: Manages Ernest Miller

Sharmell Sulliven: Manages Booker T

Torrie Wilson: Manages Billy Kidman

Vanessa Sanchez: Manages Rey Mysterio

Announcers

Mike Tenay

Tony Schiavone

Color Commentator

Dusty Rhodes

Referees

Charles Robinson

Nick Patrick

Authority Figures

Bill Watts

Ms. Hancock {Executive Secretary}

Sherri Martel

Road Agent

Arn Anderson

On Air Interviewer

Stevie Ray

PWTorch breaking news item!

Nepotism running rampant?

In what has to be seen as the most controversial move UWF has made so far, Erik Watts has been seen entering and leaving the UWF headquarters several times over the lasst few days. There has been no formal announcement as to the status of Erik in UWF but an insider is claiming Erik will be one of 8 men fighting for the UWF championship.

PWTorch breaking news item!

Nepotism running rampant?

In what has to be seen as the most controversial move UWF has made so far, Erik Watts has been seen entering and leaving the UWF headquarters several times over the lasst few days. There has been no formal announcement as to the status of Erik in UWF but an insider is claiming Erik will be one of 8 men fighting for the UWF championship.

I always kinda liked Erik, so I'm more than okay with him potentially getting a push.

UWF presents Rebirth of Wrestling Lethal Ladies Tournament Preview:

Very soon UWF will present Rebirth of Wrestling and it will feature a tournament to crown the first ever UWF Lethal Ladies Champion. Although UWF has 10 female competitors on its roster only 8 have been selected to compete for this honor. The following is a list of those women along with a small hype video from each one.

Competitor #1 Allison Corino

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/Mukan_no_Teioh/UWF/AllisonCorino.jpg

Hello, you may be asking yourself, “Who is Allison Corino?” Well, I’m the future UWF Lethal Ladies Champion. I’m the one woman none of you know, but none of you will ever be able to forget! This isn’t just my future, it’s my destiny!

Competitor #2 Akira Hokuto

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/Mukan_no_Teioh/UWF/AkiraHokuto.jpg

(Translated from Japanese)

You’re looking at the greatest female wrestler of all time! I have dominated women’s wrestling in Japan and now I come to the USA to extend my dominance and prove indefinitely that I am the measuring stick of women’s wrestling.

Competitor #3 Tracy Brookshaw

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/Mukan_no_Teioh/UWF/TracyBrookshaw.jpg

Hello boys, Tracy Brookshaw here. You may not know me very well, but I am sure you know all about what I bring to UWF…T & A! You see I have the talent and ability to dominate each and every member of the UWF Lethal Ladies division and it will begin at Rebirth of Wrestling when I become the UWF Lethal Ladies Champion!

Competitor #4 Mickie James

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/Mukan_no_Teioh/UWF/MickieJames.jpg

Hi! The name is Mickie James and I’m sooo excited to be given this opportunity! I mean, I’m competing against seven of the best female wrestlers from around the world and if everything goes right, I will be the first UWF Lethal Ladies Champion.

Competitor #5 Lauren Williams

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/Mukan_no_Teioh/UWF/LaurenWilliams.jpg

You might take a look at me and say “She looks like a model not a wrestler.” Well, the fact is, I am a model…and a wrestler! Don’t judge me based solely on my looks, rather wait until you see me compete and judge me by my talent. Judge me by the fact that I am great in the ring and still look good doing it. After next week, I’m going to look even better wearing the UWF Lethal Ladies Championship.

Competitor #6 Annie Social

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/Mukan_no_Teioh/UWF/AnnieSocial.jpg

Sexy, sleazy, and willing to do whatever it takes to win. That is who I am, and that is why I will become the UWF Lethal Ladies Champion. You see, I know my place as a woman, but I also know how to use that to get ahead. Mwa!

Competitor #7 Katarina Waters

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/Mukan_no_Teioh/UWF/Nikita.jpg

No, I’m not here to insult the USA. You see, I may not be from this country but I recognize that this country has the best wrestling competition in the entire world. I may have been born in Germany, but I am not evil, no I am just like each and every one of you. I love baseball, apple pie, and good old fashioned wrasslin! I’m here to become the UWF Lethal Ladies Champion because I am the best among the best!

Competitor #8 Daffney Unger

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv237/Mukan_no_Teioh/UWF/Daffney.jpg

AAAAAAAAAH! Finally, I get to do what I got into this business to do…break some pretty faces! AAAAAAAAAH! I can’t wait until I get my hands on the bunch of Barbies brought in to wrestle with me. I can’t wait….AAAAAAH! Forget the title, because I just want to hurt some girls….AAAAAAH!

Due to the huge (24 segment show) I'm going to post the show in 4 parts. The first part will be the women's title tournament and so here are the Preliminary Round Match Ups...

Akira Hokuto vs. Tracy Brookshaw

Annie Social vs. Katarina Waters

Allison Corino vs. Lauren Williams

Daffney Unger vs. Mickie James

It's an interesting line up for sure. Looking forward to see what you do with your womens division as I'm a big fan of womens wrestling. Been thinking about doing an all womens promotion diary actually. I think Akira Hokuto wins the whole thing and is your first champion but can't wait to see what you do with the likes of Daffney and Mickie James and Allison Corino. That's gonna take some getting used to I know that makes sense but I naturally want to put Danger.

Akira Hokuto vs. Tracy Brookshaw

Annie Social vs. Katarina Waters

Allison Corino vs. Lauren Williams

Daffney Unger vs. Mickie James

Archived