Whats your lost video game?

crownsy

I was thinking about this today as i considered, for the 4th time in 7 years, rejoining EVE online.

Eve is 100% my "lost game". im going to define lost game as a game you either A) always wanted to play but never got to or B) a game you tried but never finished do to circumstance.

Eve falls into column B with me. I found it after college in like 2008/9 ish. It;s an amazing game, for those who havent had the chance to try it. Several factors contributed to it always being just beyond my play time.

1) the skill system- with the way the skill system is built, Eve doesn't really lend itself to off again, on again play. Your either in and paying, or not subscribed. also, since it builds skills over time, it's difficult to get into as a new player unless you have oodless of....

2) Free time- If i had found this game in college, i'd be a master at it. but a GF and grad school do not free time make. And with the massive time commitment needed to really build yourself up in EVE online, i've always been out of luck. Particularly when it comes to number 3

3) inability to find a good corporation- In eve, your corporation (guild) defines your experience. the lack of free time issues always steamrolled me into joining a crappy corp or not finding a good one and getting frustrated.

All these things make EVE my lost game, I'd love to rejoin, but i know i'd just have to step down at the end of the summer when real life kicks me in the face again.

Love to hear other's lost games, heck maybe we'll learn of games we haden't heard of that others can try out!

I have always wanted to play Liberty or Death again for Sega Genesis. I played it when I was in either Jr. High School or High School and I loved it. At the time those Koei games were more than any other game released on Genesis. Therefore, my parents would never agree to buy it for me (If I remember right it was $70.) because that was just too much for a video game. So instead they rented it a couple of times and I loved the game but I haven’t played it in almost 20 years now.

I always look to see if they have it at second hand stores or any place that sells old video games but nobody seems to have it. Yes I could find it on the internet but I am always leery of buying stuff off the internet.

X-Men 2: Clone Wars

I loved it as a kid and I never actually beat it. Which is weird because as a kid, I didn't stop playing a game until I beat it.

Around the time that I got it though, my mom just purchased the original Legend of Zelda for me and that game sucked me in. I played through Zelda so many times.

Hopefully I come across a working Sega Genesis and a copy of X-Men 2 sometime soon

The XCOM games, thought they were cool, but never played them. Also Arcanium Ultima, and Planescape:Torment... are up there. As far as more current fair? Dark Souls/Demon Souls. Seems like I missed the zeitgeist on those games. They just seem like purposefully obtuse games made by Japanese people who like mocking American gamers with prehistoric controls... Basically. Some others off the top of my head: Viva Pinata, PuzzleQuest, Wing Commander, Sins of a Solar Empire... Probably a hundred more I can't recall.

I have always wanted to play Liberty or Death again for Sega Genesis. I played it when I was in either Jr. High School or High School and I loved it. At the time those Koei games were more than any other game released on Genesis. Therefore, my parents would never agree to buy it for me (If I remember right it was $70.) because that was just too much for a video game. So instead they rented it a couple of times and I loved the game but I haven’t played it in almost 20 years now.

I always look to see if they have it at second hand stores or any place that sells old video games but nobody seems to have it. Yes I could find it on the internet but I am always leery of buying stuff off the internet.

http://vimm.net/ does emulators, and games.

I have two games that fit. One was Shadowrun for the Genesis. It's a game I played for HOURS!

The other was an old I guess you could call it an RPG for the SNES called Lufia. They made a second one that told the story of the four convectors from the beginning of the first game, but I preferred the first game. :)

X-Men 2: Clone Wars

I loved it as a kid and I never actually beat it. Which is weird because as a kid, I didn't stop playing a game until I beat it.

Around the time that I got it though, my mom just purchased the original Legend of Zelda for me and that game sucked me in. I played through Zelda so many times.

Hopefully I come across a working Sega Genesis and a copy of X-Men 2 sometime soon

That was a very cool, but hard game. I only beat it 2P with a friend on an emulator years later, using Quick Save which IIRC was not available on the regular cart. Gambit was king!

Fallout 3 for me. Bought the GOTY edition, but it's just sitting there. Tried twice to get into it, but failed both times... been considering giving it a third go sometime. After all, I love the FO-universe and I hear only good things about it...

Too many to count. I have a horrible habit of buying games and either not playing playing them for a long time. Or stopping playing them and go back later and than being completely crappy at the game or lost as far as where I was in it and just starting over. Or just restarting a game because I think I can do better or something. Probably can count on one hand how many games I've managed to beat, though I have gotten better with most of the above.

And pesky sports games can get addicting and take away time from games that can be finished as well.

I remember Garnett Lee a few months back saying something about finish rates in games when the Mass Effect 3 ending shit hit the fan. I remember he said on average something like 50% is a great completion number for a game, higher than that and you should be thrilled.

Can't imagine what the old school games comp %'s were... For example: Did anybody ever beat Contra? Even with the code, it's still pretty insane.

The XCOM games, thought they were cool, but never played them.

If you get time, check them out on Steam - they're often available for near to nothing. It's worth it!

Of course, there is also the new version (not the 1st person shooter, the other game actually based on the first one)... high hopes, but we shall see.

Gran Turismo 3. I bought it at a very good price, and got a 360 right afterwards as a Christmas present. Never even took off the wrapper.

Metal Gear Solid 2, played through 95% of it, basically right before the final boss fight... and I started venturing in other games and never touched the darned disk again.

I rarely finish games.

I think GTA Vice City is my lost game, despite loving most things GTA I never played it. When it came out I was not playing games at all, then I played San Andreas when that came out and considered going back but thought Vice City would probably not hold up after playing the later game ... so .... I never got around to it.

The Witcher, both I and II. I badly need to start it again and finally get past the prologue. It's supposed to be legendary, yet I can't seem to find the courage to start it. :p

Neverwinter Nights II is also one I recently just tried after years of laying in the closet, but didn't like it and quit after an hour.

Too many to count. I have a horrible habit of buying games and either not playing playing them for a long time. Or stopping playing them and go back later and than being completely crappy at the game or lost as far as where I was in it and just starting over. Or just restarting a game because I think I can do better or something. Probably can count on one hand how many games I've managed to beat, though I have gotten better with most of the above.

And pesky sports games can get addicting and take away time from games that can be finished as well.

THIS. I also buy them, then try and find the timeframe to be able to complete it in one big sitting. It always fails because I'm like: I don't have that much time, let's just play Pro Evolution Soccer, WMMA/TEW or Top Spin or something, that's quicker to finish. Instead I'm stuck playing these games for the entire frickin' night as they are basically endless. Career mode lasts... well, as long as you want it to last.

I have to add Borderlands to my list, but it's not really a lost game now. My brother bought it when it first came out and I tried to get into it, but I just couldn't. I loved the premise, the art, the gameplay, but for some reason I just couldn't get into it.

Yesterday, I had a buy two, get one free coupon from GameStop for renewing my PowerUp Pro membership and my brother and I both got the GOTY editions of Borderlands and then played for like 5 hours straight.

SOOOO much fun when you're playing with someone instead of just yourself

Also, Mount & Blade. I played the demo to death, but never actually got around to buying it. Which is a shame, because it's great fun.

Just picked that up from the bargain bin at Office Max a few weeks ago. Haven't played much yet because I've got a lot of stuff on my plate at the moment. But I've have played through most of the tutorials and look forward to finding time for it.

EVE sounds cool but also intimidating. I'm a casual MMOer. I like WoW and now SWTOR EVE seems to be more for the hardcore. Alot more risk involved.

I'm not going to lie, while some of the issues crownsy notes are largely mitigated in today's EVE, this part hasn't been. Basically, if you need a game to tell you what to do next or to give you direction in any way, EVE is not the MMO for you. It is indeed hardcore in that the game does not hold your hand (not even in the tutorial) and it requires a lot more thought than any other MMO out there. However, the way crownsy describes it is not accurate at all. The skill training part is true (they did away with 'ghost training' (i.e. training long skills while your account is inactive) years ago) but I'll give you an example. There are a few folks here who are members of my corp in EVE. I haven't logged in (except to change skill training) in 3 weeks. In that time, the corp has earned about 4.1 billion ISK. Passively. With no input from me over that time. What's even better, the patch on the 24th makes it likely we'll make even more since there were many changes made to add value to mining (which we do A LOT of) and industry (my specialty). The "problem" with EVE is, your progression is defined by you, not the game. Many people don't like that model at all. They like to be able to compare themselves to others and see how they "measure up".

crownsy, I can guarantee you that with 4 hours of playtime a week, you can still "progress" in EVE. And the cost factor is not one since you can use ingame money (ISK) to pay for your subscription (PLEX). Right now, tritanium (the most common mineral in the game) is selling at upwards of 9 ISK per unit, due to the last patch. In less than one hour, you can accumulate a million units of trit (more if you're in a gang (group) with someone with mining bonuses (*whistle*) that increase your yield). And that's just mining. Due to the changes on the 24th, your low level stuff will sell for more now since the only stuff that drops now will be stuff that cannot be made by players.

Anyway, my 'lost' game is Anarchy Online. I mean, yes, I did get to level 210 (10 levels short of the cap at the time), but as much as I've wanted (and tried) to go back, I just can't. The character models literally give me a headache after about an hour. I have this same issue with Daggerfall when I boot it up every now and then. Another one is Jagged Alliance (1 and 2).

A) always wanted to play but never got to

Too many to mention. Part of this is due to my perfectionist nature in approaching games. That requires time. I also have this annoying habit of starting games at the hardest difficulty available, so the adjustment period takes a bit longer. Also, I come from an old-school gaming mindset, so I do silly things like talking to every NPC twice, checking nooks/crannies/corners of rooms, etc. That adds even MORE time.

I have about 30 games unplayed on PS2, just sitting in their cozy, unopened boxes, never mind other consoles. Most of those are RPGs, I think the concept of pouring 40+ hours on each one scared me away so I've never gotten to them. And, they tend to be Atlus/Nippon Ichi games, I have a predisposition towards niche games that those two delivered, the Mana Khemias, the Atelier Irises, the Growlansers, the Ar Tonelicos, the Personas, etc.

B) a game you tried but never finished do to circumstance

FFVII - I've given it three playthroughs, I always stopped at a certain point. I do *not* see the fascination with this game, in fact I borderline despise the game itself despite loosely promising that I want to at least pass it once. Game feels like a chore, I do not enjoy it. Never have I felt so much hatred towards a game. I played some difficult NES games growing up, Ninja Gaiden, TMNT, Bionic Commando, Contra, Bayou Billy, Battletoads, Astyanax, etc. and passed those, gone through long, laborious endurance races in Gran Turismos, gone through 007 mode in Goldeneye etc. yet these do not compare to the seething rage that FFVII seems to provide for me, and FFVII isn't exactly a paradigm of challenging eye-hand coordination and exact precision.

I think I enjoyed the SNES Lord of the Rings game more than this, and that game was as foul as a Balrog's breath.

FFIX - Have the physical game, haven't played it.

FFX - See FFIX.

Perfect Dark - I think I suffered too-much-Goldeneyetis, so this game, despite all of its improvements, hasn't really done it for me. Own it too.

Majora's Mask - See Perfect Dark, except substitute Ocarina of Time instead.

Planescape Torment - *This one* I actually liked, yet somehow never saw through to the end. I was probably 70% or so through though.

For me it is The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. I've set it up on DOSBox and everything, but trying to actually play the game is like playing Keyboard Twister with my fingers. Too many commands, and not enough buttons on my PC controllers to map them too, so my only option is to use the keyboard which makes my wrists feel like they are about to break after a few minutes. It really is a shame, as I've heard nothing but good things about the game (minus the complaining about bugs), and I love the idea of an Open World RPG game with a Doom-like interface (albeit way more complex than Doom's interface, but nevertheless), and I've loved every Open World RPG that Bethesda has made (that I've played, anyhow).

Archived