OLLIE: Tradition. Enhanced.

Mexico City, Mexico

December 19th, 2009

The streets of Mexico City are pretty quiet, at least in the gated suburb I live in. The kids are all in their homes, dinners are being made, and families are together. Meanwhile, I'm standing in front of a massive posterboard of two dozen wrestlers, trying to figure out how to keep most of them fairly happy. A tough job, especially when you're Spanish is fluent, but not native, and a chunk of the roster still thinks you shouldn't even be here.

Of course, there are days when I'm not sure why I'm here either. It's been a weird trip. Two years as a gofer in LA. A few months writing low-card segments for Total. Moving up North for a stretch to help Vibert as he kicked things in gear up there. Deciding to go work for Eisen...for a bout three weeks. Taking care of New York City until I figure out it would always be 1986 in Stomper's world. But, schlepping around the continent had done one good thing – created contacts. Contacts are fantastic things. Especially when they lead to phone calls from bookers of Mexican wrestling companies.

Now, I've been here in Mexico for a year. Sort of know the culture, kind of know the language, reasonably solid on the wrestling, but still a little confused about the people. After a lifetime of supermarkets, political correctness, and diversity, it's a little weird to step in a world where many people can trace their family back eight generations to the same plot of land, men still have no problem grabbing women's asses, and you can haggle every day over the price of milk. Some days, I love it. Other days, I just want a decent chicken sandwich.

For the last year in OLLIE, I've tried to make changes from my junior role. We've gotten a lot of young guys in as the older guys still in the company weren't going to turn around business. I've tried to get us on a stricter booking schedule, but a lot of shit is still booked at the last moment. We still have the merchandising plan of a high school basketball team and plans to get back on television have sort of failed. But, we still have a good roster with room to grow, a solid fanbase, and tradition. But, as I've explained to Joaquin a few times, “tradition is wonderful. But, if you only have tradition, you'll end up a dinosaur.”

Maybe that's why he invited me into his office a few weeks ago and officially told me that as of the new year, I'd be the new head booker for OLLIE. Officially, Phoenix I would still be in charge since a filthy American taking the reigns of the oldest continually running wrestling promotion on the planet would be blasphemy on the level of unmasking El Patron in the middle of a TV appearance, but all things considered, I'd be the one in charge and making the decisions. I'd hum something about the Halls of Montezuma, but that'd be just asking for trouble.

So yes, in OLLIE, tradition will continue. But to survive, it will have to be enhanced.

December 23rd, 2009

thepiratesfan.blogspot.com/ollie

Pretty big news out of the OLLIE offices, even though the OLLIE offices would deny it to their dying day if you asked them in public. Basically, former CGC & NYCW booker/writer/flunky Jesse Ewiak is officially being elevated to the head booker position. Now, because of Ewiak's er, Americaness, it's likely that in public, Phoenix I will still be the 'head booker' and keep the ceremonial titles that are wink and nods to his position in the company.

This could be a big change, or one more turn toward the iceberg from the sinking ship over at OLLIE. Business has stabilized over the past year since Ewiak was brought in and there's evidence that's he was the one that pushed for the youth movement of the past six to nine months, so it is possible that we could see some new ideas out of the House that El Patron Built. For now though, looking at the lineups for their weekly show, the current angles will continue, at least until the next big show.

December 27th, 2009

Other News : A couple new guys look to start with OLLIE in the new year. Sunburst, a really green technico, La Estrella, an arrogant rudo who has been looked at by both MPWF and SOTBPW in the past few months were both added to the first show of 2010 according to OLLIE.com and the roster page. In addition, it looks like the two guys Rafael Ruiz has had running in for him at spot shows in the past two weeks is El Jefe Militar and El Orgulloso. They've been added to a six man against Tres Phoenix on the breakout show for 2011.

OLLIE – Plaza Las Esperanza

Huracan Sandoval Jr. vs. La Sombra Jr.

Tricolor Jr. vs. La Estrella

Mr. Lucha III & Laberinto Jr. vs.Extraordinaro Jr. & North Star Jr.

Sunburst & Dragon Americano vs. Nicholas Lopez & El Critico

Tres Phoenix vs.Rafael Ruiz, El Jefe Militar, El Orgulloso

El Leon, Marco Flores, Campeon Jr. vs. Tres Swarm

+++

AWESOME start. Really liked the backstory.

Tricolor Jr. vs. La Estrella - given the gimmick described, he needs to make an impact

Looking forward to this- Mexican dynasties have a history of foundering after promising starts, so I hope this one keeps going.

Sombra's not bad but his fundamentals preclude a solid push. Huracan's a much safer bet

Via DQ- Tricolor is a Trios champ and you need to be careful with your champs as they're a temperamental bunch

Extraordinario and North Star are good, but Mr. Lucha should be getting a main event push as soon as possible and Laberinto's one of the most capable wrestlers on the roster

JOBBERS!

Jefe and Orgulloso are solid enough but Tres Phoenix are your top trio

This is a good way of keeping Marcos and Leon around, plus Swarm are just good anyway

Huracan is pretty stacked to start with can't picture you not making him king of the lowercard.

Completely a guess but I could see you giving the cocky heel a winning debut.

Honestly who can resist the urge to megapush Mr. Lucha III? I'd make him my number one face in Australia given half the chance.

Evil heels doing evil things like brutalizing innocent underdogs! Also gives said underdogs some nice training which last I checked is the point of OLLIE at this moment in time!

I have nothing witty for this. Jefe Militar's beret is kinda funny looking on top of a mask I guess. I usually worship the ground Rafael Ruiz walks on in my games.

The swaaaarm!

OLLIE from Plaza Las Esperanza

2,853 paid - 5,000 seat capacity

Opening Match:

Well, this was kind of a mess. In all the chaos of a first night, I forgot to tell Pietro to script these guys, so they went out there without any sort of plan. As a result, they were both blew up by five minutes in. Since they were both blown up, they traded quick pinfalls via roll-up to tie things up and move things to a finish. It's too bad, since both guys are solid flyers and there were still a few decent high spots near the end of the match once both guys had gotten their wind back. Anyway, twelve minutes in, Sandolval hit his Eye of the Hurricane (Spinning STO) for the pinfall victory. In all honesty, not a good match at all, but both guys are young.

Winner: Huracan Sandoval Jr. wins two falls to one in 11:53. / Rating: F/10

Match Two:

Crowd didn't get much into this match, since they knew from the bell how it was going to end, but both Sunburst and Dragon bumped around well for Lopez and Critico and even got a decent pop off a double team missile dropkick. But, from there, Lopez and Critico's skill gave them the distinct advantage and they simply took apart Dragon with a variey of double team holds and suplexes. Sunburst tried to run to help his partner, but he was tossed to the outside, then Lopez hit the Lopez Buster (Gutbuster Suplex) for the easy pinfall in the middle of the ring. Then, in the second fall, Sunburst came in, hurt already and he was easy pickings for both Critico and Lopez. After a big double suplex, Lopez hit Sunburst with a massive belly-to-belly suplex, then hit a Lopez Buster again to win the match two falls to zero.

Winner: Nicholas Lopez & El Critico win two falls to zero in 8:26. / Rating: D/45

Lopez & Critico are Unhappy

In the ring, Lopez took the mic away from the ring announcer and ranted about how, “why are two of the best wrestlers in all of the universe stuck wrestling rookies here on the grandest stage of all? We should be in the main event! Not, buzzing fools like the Swarm.” Both Critico & Lopez continued to complain about their treatment in OLLIE and how everyday Lopez had the belt, more people remembered what this company was. Typical heel self-praising BS, but they said it well.

Rating : C/64

A Bit of Hollywood in Old Mexico

Before the next match, a red (kind of ratty) carpet was rolled out, then La Estrella made his debut, preening down to ringside to a decent rudo response from the crowd. In the ring, he took the mic and explaned that he, La Estrella was a future Hollywood star, and soon he would be out of this God-forsaken business, but until then, “I'll have to create Hollywood Ending's for myself and end the careers of people who just don't matter.”

Estrella's a talented guy who could be in the main event this time next year. This is a good start.

Rating: D+/52

Match Three:

Tricolor Jr. vs. La EstrellaLightning Match

For those who don't know, a 'lightning match' is an old creation of the booker even before Phoenix. It's a one-fall match with a ten-minute time limit. It's a way to create matches that can preview future matches without giving away the store. Tricolor's a solid guy to start things off as a loss won't hurt him and he'll have a good match with Estrella. From the start, Estrella was arrogant, pulling up Tricolor even though it was obvious Tricolor would kick out anyway, then stomping, scraping, and groping at 1/3 of the Trio's Champions. Tricolor would fight back, reversing a Hurracarana into a powerbomb, then going for the Fisherman's Buster, but Estrella went low, then spiked Tricolor to the mat with a DDT. He then went up top and hit the twisting cross bodyblock he calls the Hollywood Press to get the pinfall victory in his debut.

Winner: La Estrella wins in 8:36 / Rating : D-/40

Match Four:

Extraordinaro & North Star attacked Lucha & Laberinto before the bell and as a result, dominated things so thoroughly that North Star got the early pinfall on Laberinto only a few minutes into the match after a Sky Twister Press got the pinfall. Fighting from a deficit, Mr. Lucha III and Laberinto fought back bravely, avoiding the double teams and cowardly attacks from Extraordinaro and even reversing a top-rope rana attempt by the high-flyer into a powerbomb for a near-fall. About nine minutes in, Lucha hit the Third Strike (superkick) on Extraordinaro and got the pinfall victory to a big pop. The final few minutes were a blur of action as both teams went for pinfalls, broke things up, and generally got in each others way. At the end of the match though, North Star took out Lucha with a plancha and in the ring, Extraordinaro hit a top-rope rana with a cradle (and the tights) for the pinfall victory.

Winner's: Extraordinaro Jr. & North Star Jr. win two falls to one in 14:43 / Rating: D/46

Leon, Flores, and Campeon Jr. have a message.

In the ring, three of the top faces were in the ring and did a good promo going after The Swarm, saying that the Swarm may be a hive that has almost telepathic communication, but they're three of the most talented wrestlers in Mexico and tonight, they'll have the fans on their side in the main event. Flores also mentioned that, “2010 will be the year that gold will be around the waist of the King of Leon once again!”

All three guys are going to anchor the technico side of the roster for now and hopefully, I can rebuild Campeon so he's as big a star as both Leon and Flores is.

Rating: C-/58

Ruiz Reveals His Backup

With Tres Phoenix already in the ring, Rafael Ruiz came to the ring with two newcomers to OLLIE. First, he introduced El Jefe Militar as a former member of the Mexican National Police who got kicked out of the force for being too violent, but Ruiz saw the animal within and brought him to OLLIE. Then, he introduced El Orgulloso as a future champion who will show tonight that it is not El Leon or Marcos Flores that deserve the glory, but only the Followers of Ruiz!

Unfortunately, nobody knows these guys yet. This will change. Or I'll be in trouble.

Rating: E/27

Semi-Final

This match was made to debut the two newcomers, kick off a new feud, and make sure both El Jefe and Orgulloso could hang in OLLIE. All three things seemed to work. Orgulloso's a really good high flier who worked well with all of Tres Phoenix, but still needs some polish to become a star. On the other hand, El Jefe is what he is. A big powerful dude who threw people around, didn't sell that much, and didn't take a fall. Which is what I wanted him to do. The first fall came about halfway through the match as Phoenix II was able to get a pinfall on Orgulloso after a Northern Lights Suplex. But, El Jefe came in, threw around the guy, and got the pinfall back in just a minute or two after a press slam and big boot. From there, the match descended into a bit of chaos with dives from all the members of Tres Phoenix, EJM throwing Phoenix III into the guardrail, but at the end of the match, Ruiz hit Phoenix I with his patented chain before getting the pin after the Pitbull's Bite (running kick to the head).

Winner: Rafael Ruiz, El Jefe Militar, El Orgulloso win two falls to one in 17:29 / Rating: D/45

The Swarm and their Queen

Before the main event, the lovely (wait, I mean devilish) Cuervo took the mic and explained that her Swarm has already accomplished so much in OLLIE and that would only continue tonight they would destroy, “a braggart, a noble fool, and a has-been.” She then continued to add that after winning tonight, they would continue on and take all the gold that OLLIE offers as, “the Swarm are my workers and they want to bring back trinkets for their Queen.”

Cuervo's a very good promo, but long-term, she may have to move away from the Swarm, especially if she's to move to the next level as the Swarm are always probably going to be a upper-midcard act.

Rating: C/60

Main Event:

Unsurprisingly, this was the match that the crowd was finally fully into. Swarm have been very effective heels for a few years now and the faces are the top faces in the company, outside of perhaps Phoenix I. Early on, it was a story of Tres Swarm being a much more together team, with quick tags and changes in the ring, wearing down first Leon, then Campeon+ Jr. However, Flores got in a hot tag and it looked like he had the pin after his Flores Heaven Elbow, but Cuervo put Swarm II's leg on the rope. Going after Cuervo, Flores was attacked from behind by the rest of the Swarm and left laying. With all three men beaten up, it wasn't surprising a few minutes later when Flores took the fall after a Missile Knee Strike from Swarm I. After the first fall, the Swarm tried to get another quick pinfall, but Leon fought back, taking out two members of the Swarm with a huge twisting moonsault into the ring, then got the pin after Split Second Justice (modified Rock Bottom). For the final fall, it was a mess of near-falls, dives, and big moves, but after sixteen minutes, Campeon hit a big brainbuster, followed by his Flying Cross Body for the pinfall victory over Swarm II.

Winner: El Leon, Marco Flores, and Campeon Jr. two falls to one in 16:02 / Rating: D/47

With the Swarm beaten and Cuervo licking her charges wounds, the first show of OLLIE in 2010 ended with the faces celebrating in the crowd together as the OLLIE faithful cheered them on.

Overall: 48/D+

thepiratesblog.blogspot.com/ollie

January 3rd, 2010

Huracan Sandoval Jr. b. La Sombra Jr.

Nicholas Lopez & El Critico b. Sunburst & Dragon Americano

La Estrella b. Tricolor Jr. - Lightning

Mr. Lucha III & Laberinto Jr. b. Extraordinaro Jr. & North Star Jr.

Rafael Ruiz, El Jefe Militar, El Orgulloso b. Tres Phoenix

El Leon, Marco Flores, Campeon Jr. b. Tres Swarm

First, the things you jackals care about. The weekly prediction contest! Obviously, some of you forgot Phoenix I wasn't booking anymore from your reliance on Tres Swarm en Phoenix taking the duke. Remember, this round goes through the first major show and the winner gets your pick of DVD's we have here in the home office in Pittsburgh.

CQI13 – 6/6

You are Phoenix III and I claim my ten pesos!

DrunkCobra - 4/6

Nice picks, aside from missing the Phoenix/Swarm matches.

1PWFan - 3/6

I guess Ewiak doesn't think Tricolor doesn't need protection.

Jingo - 2/6

Better things next week?

Midnightnick - 2/6

Somehow you managed to get that the faces would win the main, but miss everything else but the squash. How did you manage that?

Now, back to the actual wrestling results. Surprisingly, a slight change in the booking team didn't lead to anything crazy like La Sombra beating El Critico for his mask in the opener or anything else too crazy. From reports, the building was a little over half full, which is about what OLLIE has been doing for most of 2008 and '09, especially since they lost TV. Even though TV isn't super important in Mexico, it still mean the difference between drawing 2,500 and 5,000 at your normal weekly show.

On an interesting, looks like Tres Phoenix and Tres Swarm are being seperated for a bit as they usually do between refeuding, Ruiz's charges are at least getting a decent push out of the gate, La Estrella will quickly slide into a nice mid-card heel role, and from promos on the show, we're going to have some sort of six-man or tag next week involving the Four Cornerstones. Maybe the face team from the ME this week against Lopez, Critico, and Extraordinaro?

Also, as some of you noted, Orgulloso did work as a face jobber for a few SOTBPW shows early in '09, but he didn't seem to impress. Oh, and El Jefe's uniform is nowhere close to standard issue.

Other News:

Video up from a recent Tijuana indy main event between Julio Dominquez and Charron. Oh, and Uncle Miguel gets involved....

Mexico City, Mexico

January 5th, 2010

It's interesting to talk to people as if you're a totally different person. I'm the same guy I was six weeks ago, but even the ticket takers at the arena are aware I'm in charge now. Hell, the stupidly hot girlfriend of Flores even talked to me for more than three minutes. Oh wait, I have a stupidly hot girlfriend and she doesn't do lines of coke in the trainer room of arenas.

On a good note, it seems the new guys are mixing well for now. El Jefe and Orgulloso realize that being thrown into a feud with Tres Phoenix immediately is a big deal and are ready to learn from all three guys under the mask. Heck, despite being a mountain of a man for Mexico, Jefe was probably one of the most helpful guys in the locker room. On the other hand, Lopez immediately left the locker room after the show with headphones in his ears trying to avoid everybody else...as usual. The guy's a great wrestler, but has the social skills of a 15-year-old WoW player.

After all of that, it was almost a relief to have a meeting with Joaquin at his actual office today. Sure, to most of his inner circle, the wrestling's just a side business that has some nice tax relief built in, but he's always treated me with respect. It wasn't a shock he wanted to give me some ground rules. Thankfully, they were some pretty damn basic ground rules. Don't go into debt, make OLLIE bigger, and don't hire insanely green rookies who barely know how to work. Since I wasn't planning on doing any of those things, it didn't bother me any to agree to those terms.

Now, back to work. I know Joaquin is meeting with some TV people next week, so I've got to account for that. But until then, my main focus has to be the weekly shows and rebuilding the roster. After all, SOTBPW's worst match was as good as the rating for our entire show. Plus, their first PPV is in a few weeks. There's still work to do and not much time to do it in.

...we'll have the videos for most of the main matches from Batalla de las Mascaras up by the end of the weekend or sooner, depending on Youtube.

Dragon Americano, La Sombra Jr, Sunburst vs. Tres Swarm

Huracan Sandoval Jr. vs. La Estrella

Phoenix II & III vs. El Orgulloso & El Jefe Militar

El Leon vs. Mr. Lucha III - Lightning

Gino Montero, Luis Montero, Tricolor Jr. vs. Nicholas Lopez, Extraordinaro Jr., North Star Jr. - Campeones de Trios

Marcos Flores & Phoenix I vs. El Critico & Rafael Ruiz

About two months back, Lopez beat Gino Montero in a singles match and won a Trios Title shot at a time of his choosing. I guess this was the time of said choosing. No Campeon Jr. on tonight's show. I'm assuming like the Montero's not being on the kick-off show, this is a side effect of the glut of technicos in OLLIE at the moment.

Other than that, it's nice to see some feuds developing. Flores/Critico, Ruiz/Phoenix I, and so on. Of course, this being OLLIE, all of this could be dropped in three weeks.

++++

Gino Montero, Luis Montero, Tricolor Jr. vs. Nicholas Lopez, Extraordinaro Jr., North Star Jr. - Campeones de Trios

Good start. KUTGW

• 2 weeks later...

OLLIE from Plaza Las Esperanza

2,285 paid - 5,000 seat capacity

Opening Match:

El Leon vs. Mr. Lucha IIILightning

I truly wasn't expecting this match to be this good. Leon and Lucha are both good workers of course, but I was worried about the short length and it being a tecnico versus tecnico match. I guess I shouldn't have worried. Leon and Lucha started this non-title match off with a decent display of mat and chain wrestling to start off the match. Neither guy is going to be mistaken for Sean Deeley under a mask anytime soon, but they got the crowd into it early, and it flowed into a variety of armdrags, hiptosses, and headscissor takedowns that brought the tempo of the match up a bit. Then, Lucha got a near-fall after hitting a running second rope moonsault after being thrown into the corner and went for the Third Strike (superkick), but Leon ducked under and hit a big enzuigiri to get back the momentum. After a few more minutes of back and forth action, Mr. Lucha went up top for a senton, only for Leon to get his knee's up. As Lucha slowly got up, El Leon waited, then hit the Roar of the Lion (running spear) for the pinfall victory with thirty seconds left in the match.

Winner: El Leon in 9:31 / Rating: C/61

The Lion Roars

After exchanging a nod with Mr. Lucha III as he left the ring, El Leon took the mic. After thanking the crowd, Leon went after Critico and Lopez. He pointed out that the last two times he'd been in the ring with either Lopez or Critico, they only won the match after bashing his partners with chairs. He then continued by saying, “for months, I've had to hear you two cocks crowing about your great victories over myself. Let's be honest here. Critico, you beat me with a low blow after thirty minutes. Nicholas, you took my title with the skin of your teeth and three Lopez Buster's. I'm not complaining about my losses, as I should've been ready for your treachery. But, if either of you wants competition, I shall be waiting!”

Leon isn't the best talker in the company by far, but his charisma can carry him along with the love the crowd has for him after being on top of the card for the last years. They'll forgive his stumbles on the mic because of his grace in the ring.

Rating: C/60

Oh C'mon Rookies, Don't Trust the Evil Lady

As the young trio of Dragon Americano, La Sombra Jr., and Sunburst waited in the ring for their opponents, Cuervo came out with her Swarm. Dressed in a sexy business suit, she explained that The Swarm weren't quite ready, so she decided to come out and speak to some “young specimens” about their future here in OLLIE. From there, she began to pour the sugar on. Walking right up to La Sombra and Sunburst, she whispered in their eyes and ran her hands down their chests. Then, she walked over to Dragon Americano and told him in English that she had contacts in America who could make him a star if, “he got rid of the dead weight.” Americano shook his head and also said in English, “I know a golddigger when I see one!” Sombra wasn't happy either, backing the devilish manager of the Swarm in the corner and telling her that he knew the games she like to play and they weren't going to fall for it. Cuervo simply smiled and said, “you are already dead, idiot” as The Swarm came in from the crowd and began the beatdown on the tecnicos from behind!

Crowd wasn't totally into this, but it was a little training for the youngsters in angles and Cuervo's over enough as a heel that the crowd didn't totally die. But, I'm not going to put our tecnico young guns in long angles regularly.

Rating: E+/35

Match Two:

The bell was immediately rung, but the damage was already done. Swarm I was beating the hell out of Americano in the corner while the other members of the Swarm were taking apart Sunburst in the middle of the ring as La Sombra lay on the outside of the ring with Cuervo cackling about her deceit. The referee finally got some semblance of order and got everyone but Swarm III and Americano out of the ring. Unfortunately, that's didn't help Americano much as the junior member of the Swarm tossed him around for a minute before pinning him with the Splash Mountain.

Rolling out of the ring, Dragon Americano lay on the ring apron while La Sombra gingerly got back in the ring and went right after Swarm III. More surprised than anything else, Swarm III took a few shots including a big diving elbow smash and rolled out of the ring, letting the leader of the Swarm enter the ring. He and La Sombra got into a brawl in the center of the ring, but Swarm I hit a poke in the eye, then dropped Sombra with a huge gutwrench suplex. Swarm I then went for a second rope legdrop, but La Sombra rolled out of the way and managed to tag in Sunburst. The rookie tecnico burst into the ring with a springboard dive into the ring, but Swarm I was ready and caught him and sent him to the mat with a fallaway slam. From there, he was easy pickings for the Missile Knee Strike which got Tres Swarm the victory for the evening.

Winners: Tres Swarm two falls to zero in 7:49 / Rating: D-/36

Match Three:

In a matchup between two young luchadores, it's to be expected that the beginning of the match usually starts of with flash instead of substance and this battle was no different. Both men went right after each other with dropkicks, big armdrags, somersault sentons, and even a big moonsault, but early on, La Estrella got the early advantage by turning a Huracarana into a sit-down powerbomb into a near-fall. From there, the product of 'Hollywood via Mexico' hit several other big moves in quick succession including a delayed vertical suplex and top-rope splash before locking in the Hollywood Ending (modified crossface) to get the first fall of the match after about five minutes.

Arrogantly, Estrella picked Sandoval up by his mask and it looked like he was going for a powerbomb, but out of nowhere, Sandoval turned that into a huracarana with a cradle for the flash pin. In shock, La Estrella turned his bile on the referee, claiming that Sandoval grabbed the tights and it looked like he'd lose quickly again as Sandoval came up from behind with a cradle, but La Estrella was able to kick out and get back on offense by turning a headscissors takedown into a backbreaker. After several weardown moves including a sloppy kneebar and belly-to-belly suplex, La Estrella got a nearfall after a springboard senton splash, but the kickout at two showed that Sandoval wasn't out of this match yet.

So, the future Brad Pitt of Mexico' went up top for his Hollywood Press, but Sandoval was able to run up the ropes and take Estrella down with a top rope armdrag. Huracan then dived off the top rope with his own attempt at a top-rope huracarana, but La Estrella was able to kick out at two, then hit a low blow on Sandoval as both men got up to their feet. One Hollywood Press and Estrella had his second victory.

Winner: La Estrella two falls to one in 11:01 / Rating: D/46

A Star Continues His Rise

After his victory, La Estrella took the mic and adressed the crowd, who was not happy that he had yet another victory in his young OLLIE career. He spoke about how this was just more proof of what a fantastic actor he would be, as look how he made it look believable that a peon like Sandoval actually had a chance to defeat an actual star. He then said, “that's how Hollywood works, you idiotic proles. You make the little people look good, but in the end, the winner's check goes to the star. And in OLLIE, I am the one true star of professional wrestling! I'm the only one in this entire arena who deserves a Hollywood Ending.”[/b]

Estrella has great heel charisma, so his slightly cheesy delivery on the mic still works for him at this point. It might impede him if he ever wants to be a main eventer since he's not a fantastic worker, but there's still time to worry about that as he's getting more boos every time he enters or exits a ring.

Rating: E/27

Match Four:

In a way, this was really two matches in one. When El Orgulloso was in the ring, it was the typical tag match. Phoenix II and III quickly tagged in and out of the match, hitting double-team moves early on and even getting a near fall off a dropkick into a German Suplex. As the match continued, it truly looked like Orgulloso was in trouble. Lucky for him, Phoenix III dived off the top rope with a moonsault only for Orgulloso to roll out of the way and tag in El Jefe. Once that happened, the other portion of the match began. The portion where EJM threw both members of Tres Phoenix around, didn't feel any of their moves, and dominated both men. After Phoenix III got sent to the outside through the ropes, Phoenix II rushed in with an attempt at a springboard dive, but El Jefe caught him and threw the middle member of Tres Phoenix into the corner. After another minute of dominating things, the former member of the Federal Police went for a powerbomb, only for Phoenix II to finally get some offense in after a headscissors takedown. Phoenix III was tagged in and went up top for his Wings of the Phoenix (somersault legdrop from the top), but EJM rolled away. The big man got up and hit the big powerbomb to get the pinfall and the first fall for his team.

Orgulloso then arrogantly came in the ring as if he was going to finish things off. The prideful newcomer picked Phoenix III up for a brainbuster, but III slid out of it and almost got the pinfall of a rollup. Incensed, Orgulloso rushed at the newest member of Tres Phoenix, but III got out of the way and Orgulloso was sent to the outside. The OLLIE newcomer slowly got up, only to get nailed by a double somersault plancha from Phoenix II & III! Slowly getting up, Orgulloso was deposited back in the ring by Phoenix III, then got wrapped up in the Lights of the Phoenix (Northern Lights) suplex hold by Phoenix II to even up the match at one fall apiece.

Rising back up to a vertical base, Orgulloso tried to get back to his corner, but Phoenix II immediately took him down to the mat and was looking to lock in a hold, but the younger man was able to block the hold and reverse things into a submission for himself. Phoenix II was too close to the ropes and after a five count, Orgulloso let go of the hold. Phoenix II slowly got up, only to get dropkicked in the knee by Orgulloso. Sensing the victory, Orgulloso backed up and tagged in EJM. Militar picked Phoenix II and was looking to go for a running powerbomb, but Phoenix II slipped out of it and sent the 280 pound rookie right into the corner, who then rolled out of the ring. Phoenix III was then quickly tagged in and went right after Orgulloso as he came in the ring. The prideful young wrestler walked right into an STO from Phoenix III, then ate the Wings of the Phoenix to end the match.

Winners: Phoenix II & III in 11:55 / Rating: D-/37

Police Brutality

As Phoenix II came in to celebrate with his partner, the party ended. Pissed off, El Jefe came in the ring and booted Phoenix II from behind out of the ring. El Orgulloso then sent him into the ringside barrier as Phoenix III ate a big boot from the former member of the Federales as well. Then, with a roar, EJM picked up Phoenix III and planted him to the mat with a massive powerbomb to a round of boos from the crowd here at Plaza Las Esperanza.

The Beginning of a New Legend?

Before the semi-main, Nicholas Lopez came out by himself to a round of boos. The Campeon de Universal walked out, dressed to wrestle, with his championship belt around his waist before taking the mic. After insulting the crowd and reminding them that once again, “All of your heroes have failed to take this title from me. The Phoenix has been put out, the false King of Leon has been deposed, and even your masked wonder has fallen before the greatest wrestler in all of lucha libre.” He then continued, saying that unlike the disappointments he's wrestling tonight, that he is the true heir to the career of Luis Montero Senior!

Unsurprisingly, this brought out Gino Montero by himself. The young scion of the Montero family said that he may not be a singles champion as of yet, but he is a member of the Campeones de Trios. He then continued by pointing at Lopez and saying, “When you were twenty years old Nicholas, you were losing opening matches to fifty year old men!” After looking down for a moment and spitting out the word ingrate at Montero, Lopez brought the mic up again and said, “It is true young Montero that I did not become great at a young age. I struggled and I strove for glory. But, that is why I am great. Because I learned long ago these fans do not care about you. The moment they leave this arena, they care not for you or your life. It was only when I realized this truth that I became great and as long as you play to these idiots, you will stay what you are now – a curiosity who will never live up to his name.”

From there, the brawl was on, but the other two members of each team came out to stop things before it completely fell apart.

Hey, put two of your better talkers in the ring and surprisingly, it'll do well. Montero already shows enough charisma to be a main eventer, but I don't need an arrogant 20-year-old thinking he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately though, events may force my hand.

Rating: D+/52

Semi-Final

Gino Montero, Luis Montero, Tricolor Jr. vs. Nicholas Lopez, Extraordinaro Jr., North Star Jr.Campeones de Trios

After the previous promo, nobody was surprised when Lopez and Gino got in the ring at the bell and ripped into each other, lighting each other up with punches, elbows, and forearms. After hitting a few shots, the younger Montero quickly took Lopez down to the mat and began to pound him, but Lopez grabbed the ropes and after a break, went to work on Gino. The two men the proceeded to exchange holds in the middle of the ring, with Lopez gaining the advantage after a reversal and low blow that allowed him to throw Gino to the outside of the ring. With the crowd booing, the Untouchable leaped over the ropes with tope con hilo that took both men down to the mat. Quickly, Tricolor Jr. and North Star Jr. entered the ring to have a lockup and exchange of holds of their own. Only this time, Tricolor got a few quick holds in a row before hitting a big hiptoss and following it up with a huge dropkick into the near corner. As North Star staggered out, he walked straight into a Fisherman's Suplex, but Extraordinaro dived into break up the pinfall. That brought Luis Montero Jr. in the ring and the match quickly devolved into a six-way brawl as the team captains had never stopped fighting on the outside. The referee tried to restore order, but with nobody listening to his instructions, he had no choice but to throw the match out after about eight minutes of action.

The result of the match in the balance and all six men now in their respective corners, Lopez got back in the ring and signaled that he wanted Tricolor Jr. Up to the challenge, the OLLIE veteran took Lopez down to the mat, but the Universal champ was ready and easily reversed several of Tricolor's holds. After a snap suplex, Lopez went up to the second rope and delivered a nasty legdrop and got a near-fall. However, when the Untouchable went for another suplex, Tricolor slipped behind Nicholas and hit him with a big side suplex, before hitting a headscissors takedown followed quickly by a belly-to-belly suplex and a fisherman's suplex for a near-fall. Sensing a chance at victory, Tricolor hit a quick DDT on Lopez before signaling for the Fisherman's Buster. However, Lopez blocked the suplex, went low and took Tricolor down with a Cradle DDT. Impressed with his own work, the Untouchable champion preened around the ring a bit before tagging in North Star to finish the job. The young luchadore picked up Tricolor for some sort of move, but the Trios champion was ready and turned it into a small package for a near fall. Stunned, North Star tried to take Tricolor down with a lariat, but he turned it into a floatover DDT, then tagged in Gino Montero. As Lopez yelled at a groggy North Star, he turned around straight into the signature twisting top-rope cross body known as the Montero Press from Gino Montero and three seconds later, the Trios champion had retained their titles.

Winners: El Montero's & Tricolor Jr. in 13:36 / Rating: D+/51

Main Event

Despite the fact that both Ruiz and Phoenix were chomping at the bit to get at each other, they both acqueisced to their partners plans to start off the match. So, unlike the previous match, the main event of the evening actually started out with wrestling instead of brawling. Flores and Critico aren't exactly close friends though, so the match quickly escalated from headlocks and hiptosses to dropkicks, headscissors, and springboard DDT's quickly as both men tried to the get the quick pinfall for their team. Critico thought he had the win after a sunset flip into a pinning predicament, but Flores kicked out just before three and dropped the masked egomanaic down to the mat with a huge lariat. The King of Leon then went up to the top rope and hit a beautiful senton splash right on to...Critico's knees.

Back on offense, the “Never Crowned Luchadore” hit a quick suplex, then locked on a grinding bodyscissors hold on to Flores. Marcos fought back and after a couple of minutes got to the ropes, forcing the rope break. With the damage done, Critico tagged in Ruiz who continued the assault on Marcos, hitting him with a running elbow on Flores dropping him back to the unforgiving mat. The Mexican Pitbull then lived up to his name, attacking the left arm of Flores with multiple holds as the former Universal champion escaped out of multiple holds, only to fall to another version of an armbar, cross armbreaker, or americana from Rafael. Finally getting to his feet after reversing an attempt at a Fujiwara Armbar sent Ruiz down to the mat, Marcos rolled over and managed to tag in Phoenix I to a massive cheer from the crowd. As Rafael got back to his feet, he got nailed by a diving hurricarana from Phoenix I that sent both men over the top rope down to the cold concrete floor. Getting up, both men began to trade shots at each other as Critico and Flores entered the ring. Critico rushed Flores, but the King of Leon was ready and hit a huge spinebuster. As Ruiz sent Phoenix I into the ringside steps, the multiple-time Universal champion hit a bodyslam on Critico. Marcos went up top and dived off with the Flores Heaven Elbow (top-rope flying elbowdrop), but as he landed, he and the audience realized he had landed on the elbow previously worked over by Ruiz. Marcos rolled over and held his arm in pain as El Critico slowly got to his feet and realized his luck. With a malevolent grin, El Critico quickly locked on a submission to end the first fall ten minutes in.

As the next fall began, Flores was barely on his feet still holding his elbow as Ruiz came in the ring. 'The Pitbull' rushed Marcos, but the former Universal champion played mouse and dived and ducked out of the way of multiple attacks from Ruiz. Flores then rolled under a lariat and hit a big Asai moonsault on to Ruiz for a near fall, then tagged Phoenix I into the match. The leader of Tres Phoenix springboarded into the ring with a headscissors takedown on to Rafael, then proceeded to rain punches down on the Pitbull. Phoenix then went to the ring apron and went for a somersault senton, but Ruiz managed to roll out of the way. The big man then tagged El Critico back in, who came in and picked up Phoenix I for the Critical Mass (Double Underhook Powerbomb), but in one swift motion Phoenix turned in into a Hurricarana with a cradle for the shock pin to even up the match.

Still in shock, Critico immediately went back on the attack, but Phoenix hit him strike for strike and finally sent him to the outside with a big dropkick. Phoenix turned around after sending Critico to the outside, only to walk straight into a big lariat. Ruiz then locked on a modified body scissors in the middle of the ring which Phoenix I slowly fought out of with elbows, knees, and forearms until Ruiz finally had to let go or face even more punishment. Phoenix slowly got up and hit a quick dropkick to the knee, then went up to the top rope. The cheers of the crowd turned to boos as Critico bumped Phoenix off the post into the ring, which brought Marcos Flores into the ring to go after Critico. The referee tried to stop the brawl, but as a result, he didn't see Ruiz drop Phoenix to the floor with a chain. One Ruiz Wrench later and the referee called for the bell after seeing that Phoenix I was basically unconscious.

Winners: El Critico & Rafael Ruiz in 19:58 / Rating: C-/58

Celebrate! Brawl, C'mon!

As soon as Ruiz raised his hands in victory to boos from the crowd, he was immediately taken down by a big tackle from Flores who had finally dispatched Critico temporarily. Marco began pounding the hell out of Rafael as the crowd rose to their feet, but Ruiz fought back with an eye poke and began elbowing the hell out of Flores in the corner. Phoenix went to drag Rafael off his partner, but out of nowhere, El Critico came back in the ring with a diving cross body. The referees and various trainers finally broke all four men up, but they continued to yell insults at each other while Ruiz waved his chain in the air and Flores made the 'c'mon' motion to El Critico.

Rating: C-/54

Overall: D+/51

January 10<sup>th</sup>, 2010

El Leon b. Mr. Lucha III - Lightning

Tres Swarm b. Dragon Americano, La Sombra Jr, Sunburst vs.

La Estrella b. Huracan Sandoval Jr. vs.

Phoenix II & III b. El Orgulloso & El Jefe Militar

Gino Montero, Luis Montero, Tricolor Jr. © b. Nicholas Lopez, Extraordinaro Jr., North Star Jr. - Campeones de Trios

El Critico & Rafael Ruiz b. Marcos Flores & Phoenix I

Prediction Results:

Midnightnick – 6/6

Hyde Hill – 4/6

Boltingo – 4/6

Prediction Results To This Date:

Midnightnick 8/12

CQI13 – 6/6

Hyde Hill – 4/6

DrunkCobra – 4/6

Boltinho – 4/6

1PWFan – 3/6

Jingo – 2/6

Analysis:

Less than a full half house, but that's to be expected without a bigger match on top. Ruiz & Phoenix I can be a big feud, but it's just started out and OLLIE is still building up the rest of the card. The good news is that a shape of a plan seems to be forming w/ Estrella getting two straight wins, Tres Phoenix obviously facing off against the boys of Ruiz and some sort of feud between Flores and Critico. Now, the question is, where does that leave Lopez, Leon, and the rest. It's too soon for another Lopez/Leon match, the Montero's aren't ready for a main event, so we might be looking at some sort of wacky match as a main event.

Other News:

Click here for a clip for Tijuana Vampire on a recent edition of the Mexican version of the Daily Show....

Mexico City, Mexico

January 13<sup>th</sup>, 2010

Finally got a chance to watch a tape of SOTBPW's first PPV. In news that should be shocking to no one that has actually watched the bastards recently, they had a very good show. For the first Mexican PPV since before the Draft, it did what it was supposed to do.

I'm ignoring the very bottom matches, since the booking and the results told me that the truthfully, the bookers might have just thrown some darts to figure out the matches and the results. The first real indication of any caring came during the Trios Title match which was an all right brawl between the Alianza del Terror B-Team and the face champions. Was tied at two falls, then the last fall descended into madness when both teams went after each others masks. Other midcard tmatch was Vincente Romero defeating Lobo Blanco. Romero's interesting because even though he's a heel, he is totally unconnected and apart from the Alianza angle, for the time being. For obvious spike piledriving related reasons, he could easily be turned face and teamed up with the rest of the SOTBPW faces when they finally blow off the feud.

Then, there were the two main events. Tijuana Vampire's an all right wrestler and could easily be a main eventer for us. However, Champagne Lover is the hottest wrestler in all of Mexico and is even a good wrestler on top of all that. As a result, Lover defeating Vampire despite the B-Team running in and standing triumphant after a great match resulted in a very good rating. Then, they had to follow it up with a great six-man with the Alianza + Fuerza defeating the other three top faces after miscommunication and cheatery from the heels.

I've gotta' think this either leads to a six-man involving Lover next month or another member of Alianza getting a title shot. Maybe Merino. Regardless, this is what we're up against. A well-booked company with mainstream appeal that has very good wrestlers at the top of the card. To be at their level, we've got to be hungrier, more willing to to great lengths, and smarter than them. If we fail, we might be a footnote to history or even worse, the farm system for South of the Border.

...and that folks, is why you don't let backyard idiots like Fearless Blue work in a lucha promotion in front of 90 drunk Guadalajara residents.

Tricolor Jr. vs. Rafarl Ruiz

Labertino Jr. & La Sombra Jr. vs. Swarm II & Swarm III

Huracan Sandoval Jr. vs. El Orgulloso – Lighting

Tres Phoenix vs. Extraordinaro Jr, North Star Jr, La Estrella

Mr. Lucha III vs. Swarm I – Campeon de Mexico

El Leon & Campeon Jr. vs. El Critico & Nicolas Lopez

+++

Tricolor Jr. vs. Rafael Ruiz

Labertino Jr. & La Sombra Jr. vs. Swarm II & Swarm III

Huracan Sandoval Jr. vs. El Orgulloso – Lighting

Tres Phoenix vs. Extraordinaro Jr, North Star Jr, La Estrella