Chikara

ThriceP86

Anyone on these forums watch CHIKARA and/or go to their shows?

I'm just curious because I just got into them and really enjoy their matches and their comedic style. Archibald Peck and Tim Donst are two of my favorites. I got into CHIKARA so much that I already bought a couple DVDs from past shows.

Also, I'm tempted to go to their show in Milwaukee in August because I badly want to go to something totally different than current wrestling promotions on TV.

I just thought I'd see what other GDSers think of CHIKARA. Thanks, guys.

Yeah, there's a difference between 'comedy' wrestling and 'fun' wrestling. :p

I was hugely into CHIKARA in the pre-Bruderschaft days (not that there was anything wrong with that angle, just that my life started getting busier and I had less money to spend on such things), but I keep up with the weekly youtube show.

Obviously it has it's comedy spots, like Chuck Taylor's Grenade Antics and

and the slow-motion stuff between (IIRC) The NorthStar Express and The Olsen Twins that I can't currently find on YT.

But to balance that, you have Frightmare and the ridiculous

and
(I know it's from the same match, shh. :p)

Absolutely adore the CHIKARA presentation. Love the comedy. Love the colorful characters. The shows themselves can be a little hit & miss, many of the cards seem skippable on paper, but the little world that they're created is awesome. Just my cup of tea.

Absolutely adore the CHIKARA presentation. Love the comedy. Love the colorful characters. The shows themselves can be a little hit & miss, many of the cards seem skippable on paper, but the little world that they're created is awesome. Just my cup of tea.

Yeah, some of the matches can be sloppy but I totally agree about how creative they are with their product. I cannot quite explain in detail why I love CHIKARA and wish I had gotten into the promotion sooner.

That's the thing... even if you're a fan of the promotion, on paper some of the cards look a bit weak. But when you actually watch them they're usually brilliant. :D

Kingston vs. Ophidian, for instance, is possibly the weakest sounding main event of recent wrestling history, but it was actually pretty great.

Yeah, I've been to a few of their shows. My first CHIKARA show was the one in Baltimore back in 2010 which was Manami Toyota's first show on American soil. Then I went to the next show (right here in Brooklyn, the next day if I remember right) for the same reason. I seriously enjoyed the hell out of those. I agree that many of their shows require faith on the part of fans. They may not look like much on paper, but those guys bust their asses and turn 'meh' matchups into gold.

Archived