Idaho Vandals

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p>Week 2 vs Troy (ID is 11 pt favorite)</p><p> </p><p>

Looking to continue their success ID welcomes Troy to their dome. Looking at Troy's average yards per game I feel that they run a lot out of their proset and shotgun. I feel they pass out of quads and trips. They mainly run a singleback offense and I'm hoping I can stop them with my base 4-3 defense. They run a 3-4 defense most of the time and they have given up a lot of yards with dime defense so I'm guessing they don't have a lot of depth in their secondary so I'm hoping I can get some yards in the passing game. According to my horrible scouting team Troy has at weak NT and only one good coverage CB so I should be able to exploit these two weaknesses.</p><p> </p><p>

Troy gets the ball in front of 12,000 some screaming ID fans. They go three and out on their first possession. ID goes three and out due to a penalty on their drive by FB Parker. Troy gets stopped on a 3rd and short and they are forced to punt. ID is stopped on a three and out and has to punt. Troy starts at their own 3 yard line and winds up going nowhere and ID starts at TRoy's 35. The entire time up till now ID was slowly winning the field position due to their new punter and this time it pays off. ID's first play was a screen and Troy had a zone blitz and got burnt for a 14 yard gain. ID wasn't able to do much else but they got a fg to take a 3-0 lead. </p><p> </p><p>

ID then gets a stop after giving up a few first downs. To start the second qtr ID runs a qb sneak from Quads just to keep them guessing and then strikes on a shotgun long on third down for 40 yards. ID goes on to run up the middle for a few first downs and then pass it in for a TD to take a 10-0 lead. </p><p> </p><p>

Unfortunately, Troy marches right down the field and scores a td to make it 10-7. Troy then takes a long drive and winds up missing a 23 yard fg to close out the half with ID leading 10-7. Unfortunately my FS McDonald got injured on the drive and is now at 77% for the rest of the game. </p><p> </p><p>

ID then takes the ball to start the third qtr and runs it up the middle a ton and on a 1st and ten from Troy's 15 yard line they throw a td to WR Grace to make it 17-7. One adjustment that I made was I switched centers. I benched my yellow C Holt with 38 str with my orange C who has 49 str. This seems to have helped my problem of not being able to run between the tackles. </p><p> </p><p>

Troy then gets stopped on a 3 and out and they have a bad punt of 26 yards and my returner grace returns it 36 yards to set up ID with a first and 10 and only 21 yards away from another td. On a third and 6 ID QB Wellman dumps it off to RB Priolou and he takes it in for a TD to make it 24-7. Thanks to a Troy player missing an assignment. ID and Troy trades drives and then Troy gets a safety to make it 24-9. Troy then begins to drive down the field and before they could score they get picked off by CB James. </p><p> </p><p>

ID would go on to win 24-9 and RB Pearson had 119 yards on 17 carries. To help us secure the win. I had a few big runs in the second half running inside with quads, shotgun, and trips. We are now 2-0 and are on our way to maybe having a decent season. Only time will tell, but I was pleased with the results.</p>

<p>Week 3 vs Eastern Michigan (ID 11pt favorite)</p><p> </p><p>

Sadly our start WR Mirgini didn't pass his tests and is not eligible with a 1.92 GPA. Looking at Eastern Michigan's defensive line I see only one player that is low in strength. RDE Conway who is 268 lbs and has a str of 34. I should be able to exploit this but we'll see. </p><p> </p><p>

ID stops EMU on their first drive due to a 15 yard penalty. ID starts from their own 42. ID moves down the field running behind their RT and taking advantage of the mismatch. ID was able to get a 17 yard pass completion on a playaction too which lead to a 29 yard fg for ID to take a 3-0 lead.</p><p> </p><p>

EMU then gets the ball and unfortunately on their 4th play scores on a 64 yard run. </p><p> </p><p>

ID then drives down the field mixing up pass and run to score a TD. 10-7 </p><p> </p><p>

EMU then has to punt due to a 10 yard penalty and ID then slowly drives down the field and kicks a 36 yard fg to make it 13-7.</p><p> </p><p>

EMU then gets the ball and in one play scores an 80 yard td to their TE. 13-14.</p><p> </p><p>

Both teams trade possessions then ID is able to take advantage of short a short field due to EMU's penalty and is able to score a td to make it 20-14.</p><p> </p><p>

EMU fumbled the football and ID started at their own 40ish yard line with 2:00 to go. ID was able to get a few first downs until they they got picked off but luckily EMU had a penalty on the play and ID was able to redo the down and eventually kicked a 36 yard fg to take a 23-14 lead into the 3rd qtr. ID has had the ball 19:41 seconds in the game so far and I'm hoping I can continue to win this battle in the second half and not give up any more plays to the house. </p><p> </p><p>

ID then drives down the field running 7 minutes off the clock to kick a fg to take a 26-14 lead. </p><p> </p><p>

EMU and ID trade possessions then EMU kicks a fg to make it 26-17. ID has to punt and EMU gets the ball at their own 19 with 14 minutes left in the game. EMU drives to midfield before they get picked off by CB James. ID was then able to slowly run the clock down and score a td on 3rd and goal from the 6 to take a commanding 33-17 lead with 8:31 left. ID and EMU trade possessions till the clock runs out and ID wins their 3rd game of the season. We ran for 262 yards and had the ball for 38:45 minutes. I felt like we dominated this game and running behind our T was huge. That play was there the whole game.</p>

Week 4 ID vs Rutgers (ID is 4 point favorites)

I haven't reread my teams history, but I believe this is the first time I've started 3-0. I know I'm favored vs Rutgers, but I don't like our match-up against them. They are big upfront and only have one weakness at RE. I'll try to exploit it but not sure if it will be enough. They have a slow corner too so I'll be putting my fast wr GRace as the #2 wr in hopes of getting matched up against him.

Here we go, 10,000 screaming ID fans see RU drive down the field from their own 20 yard line and kick a 50 yard fg to take a 0-3 lead. ID then gets stopped with a 3 and out trying to establish the running game. RU starts at their own 45. RU then gets stopped with a 3 and out of its own. ID starts from is own 27. ID gets stopped on its first play a run and then tries to throw on second and long and gets sacked and winds up also missing on third down to again punt and lose valuable field position but fortunately our punter kicks a long punt and RU starts from their own 25 yard line. RU goes three and out and ID got lucky by calling short zone on a long streak play by RU. and ID starts their next drive from their own 29 yard line. This time around I tried to throw some short passes and was successful somewhat but only got 8 yards and again had to punt.

ID then starts to slowly drive down the field passing more often than not. On first down around RU's 30 yard line ID tried to throw a long play action streak play and got picked off but luckily RU had a penalty. ID then played it safe and kicked a 44 yard fg but missed to keep the score at 0-3. RU then drives right down the field and kicks a 29 yard fg to make it 0-6. ID was able to drive down the field mixing run and pass to kick a 33 yard fg to make it 3-6. RU had an injury to its yellow DE and now I feel I have an advantage on both ends with this team. I'll be trying to exploit this more in the future.

The half ends with Id losing 3-6. I have 9 yards rushing on 20 attempts. This has been the difference in the game. If I can't figure out a way to drive the ball down the field. I'm going to lose this one.

The third qtr was very disappointing. RU had two turnovers and ID couldn't do much with the football and the qtr ended the same way it began with a 3-6 score.

The fourth qtr was the same as the third. A lot of punting and ID gets the ball at their own 11 with 1:53 left in the game and lets find out what happens...ID gets picked off on the second play and stops RU on three downs and using all of its time outs. ID gets the ball at its own 20 with 37 seconds left and 0 time outs. ID calls a ballsy run with wishbone and gets 48 yards on the play! First and 10 at the 32 with 28 seconds left. I never realized that the game automatically spiked the ball for you and ID was stuck with a 4th and 8 from the 30 yard line. Coach decides to try the 48 yard fg....and its true!!!!! ID and RU are tied.

In OT ID goes three and out and its 45 yard fg falls short. RU gets stopped for a -2 yard run on first down and then gets a holding call for an automatic 10 yard first down then they fall apart. Offside, illegal motion and wind up try to kick a 50 yard fg on fourth down and they MAKE IT!

IT was a close game but I just didn't have the horses to beat RU and they end up winning this game 6-9. The first computer poll came out this week and we are ranked #56. And next up is instate rival Boise State who I have beaten just once in this dynasty. We'll have to wait and see if I can move the ball against them at all.

week 5 ID vs Boise (Boise favored by 3)

This trophy is called the Governor's Cup but I'm renaming it Prized Potato from now on. The series history in this dynasty is simple. ID upset Boise in one of my first three years playing this dynasty and then got beaten every time afterwards. Last year, ID almost won but lost a close one and this year I think I can beat them. I like my OL DL matchup. Both teams come into the contest 3-1 and Boise just got upset by Utah St. Here we go...

12,330 screaming ID fans pile into the dome to watch the instate rivalry game.

ID goes three and out and Boise drives down the field and kicks a 52 yard fg. (0-3). ID then runs for 5 yards on two carries and hits a screen for 4 and then decides to punt on 4th and 1. Boise gets sacked by DT Glick for 14 yards and Boise has to punt. On first and 10 ID calls a long play action play and QB Wellman hits a streaking WR Grace for a 74 yard TD. (7-3). Boise then starts to drive but fumbles and ID gets the ball on Boise 42 yard line. ID then mixes up run and pass and kicks a 23 yard fg 10-3 with 4 min. in the half. ID stopped Boise and then got the ball back and got a 54 yard pass play to its TE CHezbuk. Unfortunately, ID got picked off on a screen play and didn't get a chance to add some points before the half ended. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me.

Boise starts the third qtr with a slant to its wr for 60 some yards. They got stopped after that but did kick the fg. (10-6). Boise then kicks a short kick off and gets called for a 15 yard penalty and ID capitalizes on the short field position by kicking a fg (13-6). Boise then gets really lucky. I didn't realize my cb was injured and they threw a ball to his replacement for 60 some yards. I put the starter back in with 99% health but unfortunately ID beat themselves with three penalties after getting some stops and Boise punched it in for a 13 all score.

ID then drives down the field mixing run and pass but has to punt and Boise starts a their own 3 yard line with 12:00 in the game. On third and 4 ID picked off Boise's QB. I called TMan and they ran a curl route. ID starts from Boise's own 26 with 11:00 to go. ID kicks the 42 yard fg to take a 16-13 lead with 9 min. left ID stops Boise and they punt. On first down WR GRace fumbles the screen and Boise recovers. 1st and 10 on ID's 34 with 7 min to go. ID holds them to a 43 yard field goal atempt...Good 16 all.

with 5:25 to play. On first and ten ID throws a long streak to TE Chluzbrk and he catches it for 30 some yards. ID then gets stopped and Boise starts at their own 14 with 3:18 to play. ID stopped them and gets teh ball at their own 41 with 1:51 to go. ID misses the 53 yard fg and Boise starts at their own 35 with 46 seconds left. Boise then drives down the field and kicks a game winning 43 yard fg. We got our hearts broken again by this team. I hate this team almost as much as UT ST. In hind sight maybe I should have punted instead of kicking the 53 yard fg but I had Boise on third and 12 and they got a curl route against my TMan coverage that gave them the chance at the end for the fg. Oh well, there is always next game.

I lost my 3 star RB Prioloue early in this game to a torn PCL and he is out 12-14 weeks. Its sad to see him end his career injured but he will be missed by our team.

Decisions

Its been almost 24 hours since I got my heart broken by Boise and I have some decisions to make.

#1 I have not be able to run up the middle much against RU, Boise, and I'm thinking the game might be adapting to my playcalling. I'll have to think about how I can run the football.

#2 Since Priolou is most likely gone for the season I have only 3 rbs. Pearson's endurance is 18 and I can only run him about 3-4 plays on a drive. Thomas his backup isn't very good at 202lbs and a str and instincts around 38. My off. coordinator is yellow for scouting hb so these numbers should be within 3 points of being correct so I'm in trouble running the football. My 3rd rb is a 200lb 60 sp with 40-50 in everything else. I'm going to have to rely on him more in the upcoming games. I have my rb that I'm redshirting right now. Who is 200 lbs 58str 52 acc, and 56agl. his endurance is 67 and his dur is 46. I know he would help me now but I'm not sure if I want to waist his redshirt to save the season. I'm going to need some time to think about what to do next.

By the way my spelling of players is not always perfect I don't really care about their last names so please know that if the player's name is close to the same spelling its the same player.

Week 6 ID vs La Tech (ID is 5 point underdogs)

Having slept on it I decided to leave my redshirt RB Williams alone. I feel that Pearson and Thomas can cover the inside and Thomas and Pederson can cover the outside. I'll try to use my fb more inside and my wr more outside if needed.

10,000 skeptical ID fans roll into the dome to watch LA Tech against ID. Just like Boise La Tech is expected to finish top 3 in the WAC. I don't have the exact history of this match-up but I think I've only beaten La Tech once and that was a fluke.

La Tech(LAT) gets the ball and drives down the field mixing run and pass but can only get a few first downs before having to punt. ID starts from their own 1. I was afraid to run the ball so I threw it all three times and each time it was incomplete. I feel like WR Mirigini (who has found the classroom and isn't suspended anymore) matches up well against his opponent in man coverage.

LAT gets the ball at the 50 and then completes a long pass play to their TE who winds up fumbling after a 22 yard gain and ID recovers. Unfortanetly, LB Grabowski is injured and will not be returning Hobbs will be filling in. Grabowski was good at coverage and he will be missed in man coverage. ID was able to complete a 22 yard pass to WR GRace but couldn't do much more and was forced to punt. LAT does nothing thanks to DT Glick getting a 12 yard sack.

ID then gets undisciplined and has two 5 yard penalties and is forced to go 3 and out. LAT gets the ball at their own 21 yard line. LAT then starts to drive. LAT got a 33 yard completion on a pass MZ 4-2-5 defense thanks to my substitute ILB Hobbs. Hobbs is a balanced LB and is 40's in most things except str he is 25. Who knows how accurate all that is because my def coach scout is Below Average (I've found that Below Average scouting is usually within 4 points of the real thing). LAT is forced to kick a 40 yard fg and they fake the fg and get stopped.

ID then does nothing and can't get the running game going. My OL has not been good this game with penalties and missed blocks. LAT starts from ID's 44 due to a good return by the PR. LAT then rolls right over us for a TD. They pounded it down our throat and then snuck in a few passes to get the TD. 0-7 with 12:00 in Q2 left.

ID gets the ball and my OG missed a block on first down and on second down QB Wellman gets picked off on a bad pass and it gets housed. 0-14.

Since I haven't been able to run I'm deciding to run with FB, WR and outside more. I get 3,2,4 yards and its 4th and 1 at ID's 36 with 9 minutes to go in the half down by 14 I decided that if I give LAT the ball back they are going to roll over me again and the game will be out of reach, if it isn't already, so I decided to go for it I call SG HB screen and LAT is in MZ 3-4. My QB is hurried so he scrambles for a first down! ID then runs some more and gets a 21 yard hook completion to WR Grace. LAT was in man coverage. LAT gets a 15 yard interference penalty and then the drive stops and ID makes a 40 yard fg to make it 3-14. with 5 left in the half.

LAT then gets a first down and then commits two penalties and has to punt. and we both keep punting till the end of the half.

3qtr

Both teams punt on their first possessions. ID gets the ball and gets a first down and then gets a 15 yard face mask penalty to help set up a potential scoring opportunity but gets picked off and LAT starts from its own 10. Both teams punt again and LAT starts to drive. They are on ID's 36 with 3:30 left in the 3qtr when they picked off by CB Shockey. ID can't do anything and punts and LAT's drive ends with a 47 yard fg missed. On second down ID calls for we-se-streaks and LAT is in Dime pass man coverage and WR GRace makes a great catch and is off to the endzone for a 56 yard TD 10-14. This was a great way to end the 3qtr.

LAT has to punt after a few running first downs. ID gets a big 22 yard run but Pearson fumbles the ball and LAT starts from its ID 46. LAT goes three and out and ID starts from the 20. My defense has been stellar thus far. LAT doesn't seem to be able to do much against us in man coverage and I feel I can tell when they are going to run and have been pretty successful at stopping it. We'll see if it continues. ID starts at the 20 with 10 minutes left. They get a penalty from LAT. Hit a TE screen to Chlebek for 37 yards. Then a dump off to HB Pearson for 35 yards against a zone blitz. And on 3rd goal from the 2 ID gets a screen to work and they lead 17-14 with 7:45 to go.

LAT gets a 19 yard return then a 17 yard run on first down, here we go, but they get stopped after this and have to punt. ID gets the ball at their 16 with 5:30 to go. I wish my OL was bigger and stronger but since we havn't been able to run this game I'll have to rely on my short and middle passing to get first downs and run out the clock. On second down QB Wellman hits my 4th wr for a 12 yard gain. My drive stalls and LAT gets the ball at their own 39 with 4:00 to go. It wasn't a good punt. LAT goes three and out and decides to punt.

ID has the ball at their own 27 but LAT is called for a penalty and ID starts from its own 37 with 2:13 left. I wish I could run on them but instead I try to pass short each time and complete just one pass and punt. With 1:15 left LAT starts from their own 13 yard line. I've played this game enough times to know that there is plenty of time left and LAT will probably make a drive so I'm going to focus on pass defense a lot.

LAT gets a false start penalty and then delay of game penalty so its 1st and 20! BUT on its NEXT play my CB gets called for holding and they get a new set of first downs with 1:00 left. Two plays later they get a 54 yard hook completion while I was in Dime Man coverage! LAT is at ID's 21with 45 seconds left. They then run the ball, for some reason, spike the clock, and then attempt a 34 yard fg and...its good. 17 all and we go into overtime.

1st series

ID gets the ball first and goes three and out and misses a 43 yard fg

LAT gets 6 yards on first down. Then a delay of game penalty and then they get a few more yards to set up a 39 yard fg to win and they MISS IT!

2nd series

LAT gets small yards on 1,2,3 and on 4th and 1 from the 25 they go for and the pass is incomplete!

ID Smells blood and runs on second and third down for 3 yards each to kick a game winning 38 yard fg BUT RAiner misses IT!!! Rainer is a good kicker but he can't kick the important fgs to save his life.

3rd series

ID doesn't do much and misses a 35 yard fg. BUT LAT had a penalty on the kick and we get a new set of downs! And on the next play WR Grace catches an out pass and both his feet land in the endzone for a TD!!!!!!

Now this is new to me, I've never played this far in OT and I know in real life I'm not supposed to be able to kick a pat here but the game gives me the option. I sit for a minute and think hmmm if I call this will it give me the point or will the game think its a failed 2pt conversion. I figure I'll try the PAT and it works. ID takes a 7 point lead.

LAT- O4th and 7 LAT gets a 10 yard hook completion while I was in dime man coverage again! And on 3rd and 15 LAT gets a TD from its WR.

The screen came up with my defense and I pick defense thinking it was 1st and 10 and LAT was starting the 4th series in OT but the game ended! I didn't realize they were going for the win on the 2pt conversion. I had to look at the score board screen on my computer to figure out who won because I was completely confused at the time. here is the play that decides the game

LAT SG-se-slants

ID 43-norm-man

result- incomplete pass to WR.

ID upset LAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm stunned, I thought I was going to lose this game like I've lost the others but it didn't happen. I was able to hand them on defense most of the game but my offense is not very good against the good teams. I hope it can change in the future. ID is now 4-2 and ranked #64 and LAT is 4-2 and ranked 53.

ID Week 7 ID at New Mexico St. (ID 5 point favorite)

ID comes into today’s game against 1-4 NMST. NMST is expected to get a win or two in the WAC and that is it so ID is a 5 point favorite. 19,500 screaming NMST fans file into the stadium to see if their team can beat ID.

ID gets the ball first and is able to complete a 19 yard post pattern completing to WR Mirigini, but that is it and punts NM goes three and out.

ID was able to gain a few yards running a draw play and an outside run but NM’s 4-4 defense was able to bend but not break and forced ID to punt. NM doesn’t do much but punts 51 yards and ID is forced to start at its own 20.

ID and NM exchange 3 and outs on their next possession.

ID then put on a clinic of a drive to end the 1st qtr. It began by catching NM in nickel MZ pass and ID ran for 5 yards. They got a few good blocks by C Holt and a few pass completions to WR Grace and a big completion of 28 yards to WR Mirigini . The drive ended with a rare running touchdown by my new speedback Pederson who ran GL HB-toss-Le for 5 yards against 44-norm-spy.

ID then allows NM to come right back and score a TD. They ran it down our throats and then mixed up a huge pass play for 28 yards to their WR . Backup safety Malan let the big play happen. (7-7)

With 10 minutes left in the half ID gets the ball and begins to drive but on the second play of the drive RB Pederson fumbles and NM starts their drive with only 8 yards to go to score a TD!

ID’s defense holds them to 21 yard fg and the score is now 7-10

NM kicks the kickoff out of bounds and ID starts at the 45. ID starts to drive with short passes to both WRs but on a screen play TE Chlebek fumbles and NM starts from its own 24. NM goes three and out and ID starts again with 4:30 left.

With a 17 yard post play to WR Scott(my third wr) ID gets close enough to convert a 37 yard fg to make it 10 all.

NM then drives again! 43-norm-man(my favorite defense to run with this year’s team wasn’t working well this game) NM kept getting 6-8 yards a catch against it and a holding penalty didn’t help the cause either. Thankfully, NM had to kick a fg before time expired because I think they were going to score a TD.

At halftime I realized that 43 man wasn’t working well and I made a note to pick different defenses like 46 and 425 to help. I also tried to play more zone against NM. I personally hate zone defense in this game because it is very weak to the streak pattern but NM didn’t seem to run many streak routes in the first half.

NM gets the ball to start the 3rd qtr leading 10-13. ID gets called for piling on after the kickoff and NM starts from its own 47. 12 yard hook completion against man coverage, but a sack by Doleman stops the drive and NM tries to fake a punt on fourth down and is stopped.

ID starts from its own 39 yard line. WR Mirigini catches a corner route for 23 yards against Dime-DZ-pass. WR Grace catches a post pattern play for 23 yards against Nickel-MZ coverage. Then Mirigini catches a 16 yard cross pattern against 44runman coverage. 17-13 with 10 minutes left in Q3.

NM starts from its own 15 and begins to drive. Throwing for a few big plays of 20 yards. But they have to punt after three straight completions at midfield. Id starts at its own 17 yard line. After two completions for 28 and 29 yards I realized that my starting QB wasn’t in the game. My back-up had been playing since the middle of the second qtr and I hadn’t realized it till now (I hate it when I don’t realize my starters are injured) I put QB Wellman back in the game and on 3rd and 4 from the 3 yard line Grace fumbles a catch(that probably was in the end zone) and NM recovers the fumble.

ID gets a three and out and tries again from its own 41 yard line but goes three and out.

NM gets picked off by OLB Brown and ID starts from its NM’s45. But goes three and out.

NM starts to drive from its own 20 but after several runs and passes gets picked off by FS McDonald and ID starts from its own 48 yard line.

With 10 minutes left in the game ID completes a 21 yard out and up to TE Chlebek but on the next play gets picked off, but NM committed a penalty and ID gladly accepts it and gets a new set of downs. Id then completes passes to its TE(they couldn’t match up well against him all game), and a screen play to RB Thomas (Both Thomas and Pederson were important to our passing game because they kept catching the ball). ID’s drive stopped at NM’s 8 yard line as RB Pederson fumbles with 5:18 to go.

HERE WE GO AGAIN!!! NM goes three and out, my defensive adjustment seemed to work. ID gets the ball at NM’s 44 with 3:33 to play. Do I try to run out the clock, even though I haven’t been able to run well this game, or pass it which has been successful. I mix it up and do both but due to a false start ID punts. NM starts at their 16 with 2:28 left down by 4. NM goes three and out and ID starts at their own 43 with 1:33 left.

Again, I have to decide to run the clock down or try to get a few first downs. I decide to throw and it comes back to BITE ME. QB Wellman makes a bad pass and his pass is picked off!

NM has the ball with 1:03 left and starts from ID’s 42 yard line down by 4.

8 yard hook completion, 10 yard in completion, 5 yard hook completion. 36 seconds left and the ball is on the 34 yard line. 10 yard penalty by NM and then three straight incompletions. 4th and 20 from the 34 yard line. And on 4th and 20 NM gets a 30 yard in to their TE and with 2 seconds left in the game they have the ball first and goal from the 2 yard line!!!! (I was in nickel-pass-DZ and they ran ps-corner-fl curl)

So the game comes down to one play, which is fitting because the last 3 games have come down to one play too. Here is the play that determines whether we win or lose.

NM-short pass, shotgun-hb-screen

ID-43-norm-TMan-L

Result DT Hudson (4.5 potential stud DT) gets a sack!!!! Game Over ID escapes with a win!!!

Now looking back at the game and the PBP I realize why somethings worked. #1 my OL again can’t seem to block well. Most of my bad runs are due to missed blocks.

#2 both of NM’s safeties were injured and I think that contributed to the TE and RB passing success.

I got lucky in this one and I’m thankful for the win. 5-2 and looking forward to playing at Nevada next.

ID Week 8 ID at Nevada

ID comes in a 9 point favorite. I tried to play this game a few days ago, but I had to leave after I stopped Nev on the first drive of the game. In order to shut if off I had to sim out the game and ID lost by 5 so I’m already hesitant about this game before it begins.

NV gets the ball first and gets 4 yards on a run on first down. Sacked by DE Turner. On third down, their QB fumbles because DT Glick leveled him and ID starts from NV’s 4. WR3 Oliver catches an in route on a GL run blitz and ID starts 7-0.

NV starts the next drive and on first down DE Doleman gets a sack. On third and 15 from their own 1 they get a 28 yard corner completion to their wr while ID was blitzing in nickel. NV’s drive then stalls and has to punt.

ID starts from its own 21. NV runs a lot of 4-4 so I’m debating whether I should try to start with run or start with passing first. I started with a run and got stopped on 3rd and 10 I got a 40 yard completiong to Mirigini but had a penalty and had to punt.

NV starts at their own 47.NV goes nowhere and has to punt. ID starts from its own 15. First down TE Chlebek beats his man on a playaction play and goes for a 48 yard streak completion against dime coverage. The one thing I noticed about NV’s team is that they were slow. 2 of the LB’s speed was 38 and their 2nd corner’s speed was 38. I feel that I can exploit this a lot this game and so far it seems to be the case. ID then mixes up a few runs to the outside and a few short passes to kick a 28 yard fg. 10-0 with 2:40Q1 to go.

NV gets the ball near midfield due to a good return and a penalty by ID and they drive a little bit and tries for a 48 yard fg and makes it 10-3.

ID drives to midfield and then punts. NV would have gotten a first down on a third and 6 but they had a holding penalty and was forced to punt. ID starts from NV 23 due to a huge return by WR GRAce. ID then misses a 31 yard fg! NV goes three and out but is able to turn the field position in their favor. ID starts from its own 27!. ID then goes three and out with 2 penalties on the drive and NV starts from its own 41. Om third and 11 NV gets a 42 yard gain for a td 10-10. ID then drives down the field due to a huge gain by WR Grace, but they get stopped on first and Goal from the 4 and have to kick a fg to take a 13-10 halftime lead.

ID gets the ball to start the 3rd qtr and drives down the field. PS LG straight and power have been working for me and I decided to try them on this drive and I wind up with a 3rd and goal from the 1 and this time I get a TD on a screen pass to my TE Chlebel 20-10 with 11:30 Q3.

NV goes three and out and ID starts from its 46 with hopes of trying to put this game away. But we go 3 and out and have to punt. NV starts from its own 23. NV gets a couple of first downs and a huge pass completion of 20 yards, but ID’s D stiffens and NV is forced with a 4th and 1 from ID’s 43. And they go for it in Quads formation. I guessed the play right short pass, but my D wasn’t able to stop them. NV continues their drive…On third down QB runs it on a broken play for 28 yards NV has 1st and goal from the 10.This would be huge if he could hold them to a fg, but on the first play slant pattern over the middle while I was in 43run man coverage for a TD 20-17 with 4:46 to go in the 3rd qtr.

ID then begins to drive. ID gets a huge 17 yard gain on a screen play by RB Thomas against NV’s man defense. Payback! Then ID is able to mix up some run and pass and on third and 7 WR Grace catches a streak pattern against their FS for a 43 yard gain. ID has the ball at the 18. ID then gets a third down conversion due to a te flat while NV was in a zone blitz. 1st and GL from the 4. Stopped for a 1 yard run on first. Incomplete pass on second down. I tried to do a hb curl thinking they would blitz their MLB but they played MZ zone. On third I tried SG slant hoping they would blitz with goal line but they played 4-4mzpass and I got a td anyways! Lucky. I like this play a lot because not only does it have to slant guys that are good for man coverage but the two routes that are swing routes are good for zone coverage. ID leads 27-17 to pretty much close out the 3rd qtr.

NV gets a few first downs but has to work for them and is forced to punt. ID gets the ball at their 21 with 12:26 to go. ID goes three and out and NV starts at their own 38 with 11:08 left. NV gets stuffed 3 and out and ID takes over with 9:50 left from its own 16. ID was able to run the ball on NV! Got a few big plays on PS LG again this time with a different rb. Tried a few fb runs with LG and then tried a few counters with speedy Peterson for a few first downs. But ID fumbled and NV starts at the 18 with 6:48 to go. NV gets a first down but has to punt and ID starts at its own 36 with 4:38 left. ID catches them in their favorite blitz play. 44 normal man B67(both ILB blitz) and I called a PS pitch to the outside and got a 10 yard gain. ID was able to continue the drive and eventually punch it in for a TD on a 4th and 1 from the 29 yard line. NV Blitzed the house and ID got a WR Mirigini on a post play for a 29 yard TD.29 I figured it made more sense to try to go for it than punt and it payed off.

This game was closer than the final score indicated 34-17. My D was the difference again. I’m not entirely sure but I believe that my coaches Very good game planning is impacting the play results. We are ranked #14 nationally and were able to hold NV to around 220 yards and only 12 first downs. QB Wellman played a GREAT game going 23/34 for 298 yards 4 TD and 0 ints. I was able to run for an average of 4 yards a run for 175 yards. Overall I’m pleased with the result and we are now 6-2(3-1). We are guaranteed a tie for the best season in ID history and Oregon comes to ID next and the spread is E. This is going to be another huge game for us!

• 2 months later...

week 9 Oregon

Around 9,000 Vandel fans enter the dome to watch Oregon play against their team. Last season was Oregon’s first year into the WAC as Fresno State moved to the Pac 10. I believe I beat OR last year so I’m excited about the chance to play them again.

OR gets the ball first and goes three and out. ID gets a first down focusing its running game on the RG but it eventually gets stopped. OR started its second drive from its 24 and go three and out. ID starts its second drive from its 38. QB Wellman found WR Grace running a post pattern against Dime Mann pass coverage and was able to gain 27 yards. I’ve noticed that most of my big passing plays always mention a pancake block by my OL. So I’m wondering are my pancakes causing the big play or is the big play causing the pancake? Oh well back to the game. ID winds up doing nothing offensively after that big play getting stuffed on several runs and kicks a 40 yard fg. 0-3

OR gets sacked by DT Hudson on first down and winds up punting. I decide to try something different running. I start to focus on outside, draws, and counters. This worked somewhat. Thomas ran for 8 yards on first down. I continue to run outside and mix in some passes but my drive doesn’t go for more than a few first downs and I’m forced to punt. One thing I noticed is that Oregon plays a lot of zone.

OR started its next drive from its 32. On third and four DT Glick got a sack but ILB Grabowski got injured on the play and he didn’t return.

WR Grace takes the punt from his own 11 yard line and scurries for an 89 return for a TD 10-0!!!!!

OR got nothing on its next possession and is forced to punt near the end of the 1st qtr.

Grace takes this next punt and returns it 36 yards and ID is set up near mid field. Too bad ID made 2 mistakes on this drive (missed block, bad pass) to end it before I could find the nail for the coffin.

Again OR goes three and out! I’m feeling like I have them under control offensively and I’m hoping that this game doesn’t do what it usually does to me and will allow them to anything they want later in the game. ID went three and out and gave up a 5 yard sack on first down.

OR begins its next drive from the 14 with 11 min Q2. OR gets a first down then DE Doleman got a roughing the passer penalty. A few plays later SB-SE-post was called by OR and ID was in 43-norm-man. And 46 yards later their WR running that post route was in the endzone dancing 7-10

ID then begins its next drive. On second down speedy RB Pearson runs outside for 14 yards. But we get stopped after that play and have to punt.

OR fumbles the PR and ID recovers and starts from OR’s 40. ID is able to get a first down and then on 3rd and 9 ID got 7 yards on a TE screen and instead of accepting the penalty and putting us out of fg range OR lets the play stand and on 4th and 2 we kick a 36 yard fg to take a 7-13 lead.

OR’s next drive with 2:56 in the half. Outside run 25 yard, incomplete pass, 25 yard run AGAIN ARRRGH. Then they get 9 yards on the next three plays and kick a 39 yard fg to make it10-13.

To start Q3 ID runs for 5 yards, -3 yards, 2 yards and OR penalty for 5 yards. On 4th and 1 at ID’s 29 I go for it and run off LT for 19 yards! Next play, Wellman finds WR Marangi for a 52 yard TD on an in route against a zone blitz. 10-20

OR fumbles on its second play on the drive and LB Brown recovers. ID starts on OR’s 34. ID gets a few yards and OR gets a huge holding penalty against their CB and a 16 yard screen play helps RB Pearson run for a rare 1 yard TD. 10-27

OR has some success running off their RG and is forced to kick a 44 yard fg, but its blocked!!!! Unfortunately, ID is able to run for 8 yards on three carries and is forced to punt. Or marches down the field and ID can’t stop their inside runs. 17-27 at the end of Q3.

ID tries to run the ball on first and second and gets stopped and on third Wellman hits TE Chlebek for a long 18 yard first down. Again on third down, OR gets a penalty ID gets another set of first downs. ID is eventually forced to punt at midfield but they milked 5 minutes off the clock.

Down by 10 OR starts from their own 10 yard line. 48 yard streak play while I was in Tman, 23 yard out while I was in man coverage. I switch to zone hoping for some good luck and CB Jones picks off a pass.

ID starts at its own 13 with 8:33 to go. I tried to run a screen play on first down and its gets stopped and my two runs go nowhere and ID is forced to punt. OR ball on its 46 with 7:01. ON third down OR gets a big gain on a screen play against my zone coverage but their C was too far down field and that penalty forced OR to punt.

ID starts at its 15 with 5 min. to play and trying to milk the clock with a 10 point lead. But the drive goes nowhere and ID is forced to punt. OR gets the ball at the 50 with 3:47 to go. First down OR 50 yard streak play against my MZ for a TD!24-27 with 3:05 to go.

ID again goes three and out and OR starts from its 24 with 1:41 to go. 4th and 20 from its own 14 with 53 seconds left…29 yard post pattern against dime man coverage. 1st and 10 from its 43. Sack by DT Hayes. On third down FS McDonald gets injured and won’t be returning(my star coverage player)and OR gets 26 yard in route off of my man coverage. OR then continues its drive and with 11 ticks left with the ball at ID’s 42 they get a streak play for 29 yards against man coverage and they kick a 31 yard fg to tie the game

OT-why not every other game this season has been close

ID gets the ball first 8 yard screen play, 15 yard cross, and 2 yard TD run to take the lead27-34

On second and 7 OR gets a 15 yard penalty and is facing a 2nd and 22. But they get a 26 yard hook route against my man coverage. SS Gaines allowed the big play.

OR mixes run and pass and scores again with a 15 yard run. 42-35

ID starts the drive and QB Wellman throws an INT and the game is over.

I have a love hate relationship with this game and I have to admit that I was so ticked/disappointed I shut the game down after this and didn’t do the write up till another night. After looking at the PBP I realize a few things that caused this outcome. My players especially the secondary allowe a lot big plays. Once McDonald was out I knew I was in trouble and probably should have gone for 2 in the first OT series. I didn’t realize it but my coverage ILB Grabowski was out for most of the game and so were most of DL. This was probably why I was giving up so many running yards. My offensive line again forgot how to block and we had 8 missed blocks on 48 running plays. This number will have to be lower in future years, but I can’t do thing about it right now. OR out gained me 570 yards to 285 yards. If OR didn’t shoot themselves with penalties and poor special teams I probably lose this game by 10. Overall I can live with this lose but having been up by 10 with 5 min. to go and to lose still stings

OR is now 3-4 and ID is now 6-3 and the team that I HATE more than any other is next UT State. UTST is a 6 point favorite and is home and they are leading the WAC with a 7-2 record. ID is currently in fifth place in the WAC and hoping to get atleast one more win against either UTST or winless Hawaii before playing powerful San Jose State.

closing the year out.

I didn't do write ups for the rest of the games. I'm going off of memory here so here goes. I get blown out by utah state. they had a winning record and just man handled me. Hawaii was winless going into the game and they won it late at the end. I think it was on of those they had 2 minutes to go 80 yards and they scored a td to win. San Jose St beat up on us pretty bad too. I finished 6-6 and ranked #72. No Bowl offers and I'm looking forward to next year. My report card was an over c- with d's in performance and talent, B's in expectations and prestige. I had three job offers

Fighting Illinii

Eastern Michigan

New Mexico St.

IN the off season I've learned some things so here goes.

#1 when setting my budget the money I put in each region helps me get better more recruits in that region.

#2 the money I put into positions gives me more accurate information in the scouting report for that player

#3 I'll be looking for tall wide receivers who can catch and a qb with a strong arm. Hopefully I can get both of those and some fat OL so I can run the ball better.

Transfers

With our Prestige now at 30 we have high hopes at getting some decent kids and we offer one at every position.

Here is what we got

RS Fr QbBracy Lee 3.5-5.0 arm str 62 instincts 67

RS Fr RB Jamin Putnam outside runner 2.5-3.5

RS So WR Morten Law 2.0-4.0 6ft 6 inches with with 65 hands.

Archived