GDS Games on Steam?

I have looked around the forums here and I heard that a few people said they don't like Steam but I was just introduced to it and wow, I am a huge fan. I was looking for good sim games on there but the best ones are soccer sims and I hate soccer lol.

I have purchased most of the TEW's and all of the WMMA's so I got to wondering why don't GDS move to be bigger audience and try to test the waters with Steam. At least for their biggest series TEW, there are hardly ANY wrestling games on steam now and it would probably fair rather well.

Obviously it probably isn't a very easy thing to do but could possibly pull in some big revenue and of course give us some additional ways to play the games that we all love.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bombstriker" data-cite="Bombstriker" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="34015" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I have looked around the forums here and I heard that a few people said they don't like Steam but I was just introduced to it and wow, I am a huge fan. I was looking for good sim games on there but the best ones are soccer sims and I hate soccer lol.<p> </p><p> I have purchased most of the TEW's and all of the WMMA's so I got to wondering why don't GDS move to be bigger audience and try to test the waters with Steam. At least for their biggest series TEW, there are hardly ANY wrestling games on steam now and it would probably fair rather well.</p><p> </p><p> Obviously it probably isn't a very easy thing to do but could possibly pull in some big revenue and of course give us some additional ways to play the games that we all love.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm all for it</p>

That football manager is like the top sim game and if it was American football I would have it already lol. Just an idea and if all of my progress was tracked and achievements unlocked I would get back into TEW and WMMA as much as I used to be.

TEW is head and shoulders over some football sim game lol. Just a thought that is all. I would just love to seem them upgrade their audience and revenue. Very well deserved.

It would be nice for consumers, but presumably from a profit point of view, it is better to keep control of the pricing and not give up a share of the revenue.

The reality is that it is a very niche product and being on Steam may not offer much benefit.

Some publishers have also said that it can be quite difficult to get on Steam.

I would assume, however I don't know for sure, it's due to Steam taking a percentage (no-one knows what it is, because it varies per game) of the money from every sale made.

It's also true that some people have had trouble getting their games onto Steam, for whatever reason, despite selling well.

Yeah, Steam/EA takes a percentage of the profits, and I highly doubt Adam wants to give away any of his money, even if it makes him more in the process.

If it made him more, i don't know why he would not want to. But hell, keep TEW out of Steam Adam, for god sake! :D It's fine as it is. It's never going to be a mainstream game. And i'm glad, or it might lose much of it's appeal if it became something produced in an "assembling line".

I understand the thought about steam taking a cut but if you triple your sales, perhaps more... Then I would assume that would be well worth it lol. As far as an assembly line for making the games I don't think he should change his pace up at all! Adam is doing a great job with his release dates on games.

I figured it would be a challenge to get a game on Steam but I see other indie games up there and why wouldn't TEW stand a chance? No lie TEW and WMMA were the first games I search for when I installed steam lmao.

Just and idea I thought of when I loaded steam up that's all :).

GDS games on Steam

I would also say that given that greydogsoftware is a very small software company Adam probably doesn't make that much money off the consumers like EA or SiGames does. Both ea and sigames can afford this because they are very big companies which greydogsoftware isn't. Adam is doing what he feels is the best option for him. We can't expect him to give up profits just because some people would like to see them on steam. Steam only goes with big companies because they probably give steam a bigger profit or income. Steam will only deal with companies that they feel are a good fit for them. Small companies like greydogsoftware wouldn't really benefit from selling their games on steam because they wouldn't make much of a profit. Ebay is like this they take a percentage and commision from whatever you sell through them.

Steam will only deal with companies that they feel are a good fit for them. Small companies like greydogsoftware wouldn't really benefit from selling their games on steam because they wouldn't make much of a profit.

Actually, that couldn't be less true. There are hundreds upon hundreds of small independent games out there on Steam. In fact, Steam has been the springboard that has allowed small independent games like Terraria to reach mainstream audiences and become huge breakout hits, so any suggestion that Steam wouldn't be willing to do business with GDS because of their size is a little tough to believe.

I don't have any idea about how Steam make their money with regards to developers, but I would assume that like you say, it'd be through taking a percentage of each unit sold. The downside to that is obviously you're making less profit on each sale - the upside is that your potential audience is freaking huge - Steam usually has between 1-3 million users online at any one time, and even if as few as 0.1% of those were likely to be interested in GDS titles (so that's assuming that less than 0.1% of Steam users are interested in either Wrestling, MMA, Basketball, College Football or Comic Book RPGs - I think you could argue it's probably going to be just a touch more than that ;)), that's still 1000-3000 potential sales out there at any one time.

Of course, it's Adam's decision at the end of the day, and I'm sure that he's considered the potential pros and cons of the situation far, far more in depth than any of us have. However, it would certainly be an interesting experiment to throw an older title like TEW2008 or WMMA2 out onto Steam, if only to test the waters and see what the audience is like.

I was just asking :). Didn't expect a big reaction like this. Bottomline Adam will prob not go that route even if it means a bigger audience. Not a single thing is wrong with mom an pop businesses. They are what feeds us hardcore gamers anyways :). As long as Adam keeps making amazing games that's all that matters at the end of the day.

ELicense is the worst option, really. Talk about bad system...

Are you suggesting that:

"Arlie Rahn

The main issue with Steam is that you can't use them if your game is in VB or .NET. So, unless we rewrite everything in a different language, we don't have many options with them. "

Is a sensible short-medium term option or do you merely wish to vent your personal dislike of Elicense within this thread?

E-licence makes me a bit uncomfortable, but it's worth it for the knowledge that I can pay $35 for a game and know that only those who have likewise paid will be playing it.

With most other forms of DRM, that's not the case.

Archived