CV '97: Dear Journal

Dec. 31, 1996

Dear Journal,

My name is Tim Prussen, and I have decided to start this chronicle in light of the major change that has occured in my life; but I'll get to that in a minute. I was born in Atlanta, Georgia, in September of 1977. My father, Scott, was a Vietnam War veteran that makes his living running a pawn shop. My mother, Diana, whom I am very close to, was a housewife - and she played her role to perfection. The apartment we were raised in was always spotless, and the dinner always hot on the table every evening.

I moved to Philadelphia in July of last year with my Aunt (maternal) and Uncle to put this Mass Communications Associates Degree to some kind of use, and I thought the change of scenery would do me good. Of course, one thing that moved with me is my undying passion for professional wrestling. Back home, I would be glued to Supreme TV every tuesday night come hell or high water since I was old enough to walk and talk; but they weren't the only wrestling company on my mind. Ever since I got my hand-me-down Lincoln Towncar, I've made a good half-dozen Rapid Pro Wrestling events every year; in fact, leaving RPW was the toughest thing about moving next to departing from my parents, and the smoking hot chick that lived the floor beneath us.

In Philadelphia, if you're not talking about the SWF, you're talking about PPPW. That would be the local "indy" company, the initials reading "Philly Pro Power Wrestling". Awkward sequence I know. I first attended one of their events in Christmas of '95 while on vacation. They were less about the gimmicky content that makes its way to TV and more about some old-fashioned, traditional Pro Wrestling; in fact, I don't think I've ever seen the term "Sports Entertainment" slapped on their product.

When I got here, I was quick to attend the first show I could get to. Part of the promotion of the show was a writing contest about what you think is wrong with the industry today and what it is you want more of. The winner of the contest would get to meet and have lunch with any member of the promotion they chose. Simple enough to me: SWF's "Sports Entertainment" had fallen in to a rut: nefarious heels that seemed to dominate until they pushed the wrong button on said babyface, with big babyface victory at the nearest Pay-Per-View. Did it work? Yes. Did it get predictable and boring? Yes.

I got a call in October to learn that I WON the contest. I was ecstatic. Problem is, I wasn't all that familiar with hardly any of their workers, so I picked the guy on the roster I knew best: the owner, Andrew Barber. Mr. Barber and I met for lunch later that week, and it was clear to me that he was less-than-thrilled with having to bother. As the conversation went to pro wrestling (of course), his whole attitude changed. Suddenly, I was doing most of the talking, feeding him ideas not only from a fan's perspective, but utilizing some knowledge acquired in that Associate's Degree. I was stunned when he asked for my number again, and even more surprised when I actually got another phone call from him just as I was packing my duffle bag to go south for Thanksgiving.

Some guy named J.K. Stallings had the idea to open his own wrestling promotion, called "Hollyweird Grappling Company", and had caused a rift in this thing called the East Coast War. The East Coast War was a four-way battle between the dominant indy promotions on the, you guessed it, east coast: PPPW, RPW, the Xtreme Federation of Wrestling, and DAVE - Danger and Violence Extreme. The next day, I found myself sitting in Andrew Barber's office, being offered a job as an Associate Producer. I couldn't believe it.

I never actually Associately Produced a show; frankly, I never anythinged a show. For some reason, Mr. Barber was being very secretive of me. I wouldn't find out why until I got another phone call, once again while I was packing my things to go home for Christmas: J.K. Stallings' Hollyweird-whatever company had fallen through before it ever launched with Sam Strong announcing his retirement from the business, and all its contracts null and void; so suddenly there was this freed-up wealth of talent there for the taking. A little closer to home was the acquisition of DAVE by some guy on their roster known as Harry Flash, but really named Phil Vibert.

The next day, I once again found myself sitting in an office, being offered a new job: Booker. Andrew wanted a fresh young mind to break the mold and take PPPW to victory in the East Coast War. It was a lot to take in. Over the course of the day, we had lunch again and came to face facts: the product needed updating, and fast. It was time to cut back on the campy crap that you could find in your own living room every Tuesday night. PPPW needed a realistic edge to it, to give people a real reason to come and see it. The East Coast War was about to pick up big, with the stakes raised; J.K. Stallings has put the idea in everyone's head that the SWF could be challenged by a company built from the ground up and not thrown together overnight. Who else could do this but a victor in the conflict? I write this on December 31, 1996. Tomorrow, I get introduced to the roster and staff. Tomorrow, my wildest fantasies about getting to participate in professional wrestling come true. Tomorrow, I enter the East Coast War.

-Tim Prussen

<p>Jan. 1, 1997</p><p> </p><p>

Dear Journal,</p><p> </p><p>

I have had better days meeting new people. That evening, while Andrew hosted a company at the little office-space rented out, I was brought out of his office and introduced to everyone but two people: Marcus McKing and Sandy Townsley. Why not them? Because they were the two that just quit when they learned of me. Sandy, who works for that Canadian company NOTBPW, decided he wasn't going to go down with PPPW and hit the road. McKing, however, pitched a fit, ripping a telephone off the wall and throwing it across the room while ranting about being replaced by some "meatball kid". In some ways I feel guilty, as if I've worsened the company's situation. Mostly, however, I don't really give a damn. If that old man wants to begrudge me, so be it. I'm here to do an extremely difficult job, one that he apparently couldn't.</p><p> </p><p>

Still, I didn't exactly get a round of applause when I tried introducing myself to the group, and John McClean was rather curt when I tried to talk to him; apparently he was none too thrilled his best friend around was gone to Canada for good. Within an hour the party had ended, but I remained for a couple more hours with Mr. Barber: going over the roster, going over the competition's roster, and watching bits and pieces of video. You'd be surprised with how many charts and graphs and statistics I came home with in a bag with tapes for my own personal viewing. I need to draw up a battle plan and fast, before Andrew decides he wants his old Booker back.</p><p> </p><p>

-Tim Prussen</p>

<p>Jan. 5, 1997</p><p> </p><p>

I think the East Coast War is about to become something of a Chinese Fire Drill. See, nobody bothered to clue me in about the backstage politics that go on here. I've been sitting in my cubicle, minding my own business when someone will drop in and pass a word or two of a conversation they overheard. Sometimes it won't be a person at all, but a little note waiting for me when I get back from the bathroom. "Chris Rockwell is talking to DAVE". "I heard John McClean is thinking about jumping to North of the Border Pro Wrestling". "Krusher Karloff wants to jump to XFW". Of course, I made the stupid mistake of actually calling Krusher to ask about his intentions, and was promptly met with the dialtone.</p><p> </p><p>

To be honest, I've done my fair share of trouble. Whipping out the rather disorganized contact sheet, I've gotten Mr. Barber's permission to contact around 10 workers from the other east coast companies. Will I get them all? I highly doubt it. I'd just like to snag a couple to justify my existence in this dim-lit little office space in this complex. Plus, it would let me free up some of the less-talented - and less-pleasant - people on the roster.</p><p> </p><p>

Lastly, we've set our monthly event for the 31st of this month: Pennsylvania Power.</p><p> </p><p>

-Tim Prussen</p>

<p>Jan. 19, 1997</p><p> </p><p>

My favorite part of the day is inarguably when I go to sleep. I had no idea how labor-intensive this job could be. I wake up thinking about the last match I watched the night before. I eat breakfast trying to devise something catchy to please Mr. Barber that day. I swear at XFW on the way to work, and I swear some more when I find out what kind of trouble they've caused as I walk through the door.</p><p> </p><p>

While RPW has had some minor shuffling, it's clear that the XFW is going the ambitious blitzing route that I am attempting. We have quite the game of "can-you-top-this" running. First, they snagged one of my favorite guys on the roster, Chris Morrisette. Fortunately, I caught little hell for it when I interrupted Mr. Barber's morning cup of coffee with the news that the Peak Brothers were ours. Then it was a bidding war over Brent Hill that went several days into the wee hours of the morning when those assholes prevailed. Fear not, because two days later I had come to an agreement with Genghis Rahn. Then it was a repeat of the Brent Hill bidding war over Vengeance, a monster from DAVE. It was tough, pacing around the cubicles with Mr. Barber discussing how high we could go. After all, he's expected to get the big call from Richard Eisen any day now. Still, he would undoubtedly be new and explosive for us if we could get him even for one show. Mr. Barber finally loosened his fist enough to let me outbid XFW and take the big guy.</p><p> </p><p>

What puzzles me is what's going on with DAVE. Their last show got rave reviews, as to be expected, but otherwise Phil Vibert has made no move in retaliation. He's really made no move at all. What is he waiting for? At any rate, I'm about to take off for Manhattan to have a look at XFW's next show...and I'll be taking a few PPPW signs with me.</p><p> </p><p>

-Tim Prussen</p>

<p>Jan. 24, 1997</p><p> </p><p>

I'm an idiot. Nobody bothered to clue me in to the nature of an XFW show and I didn't think to ask. I've only ever been exposed to tame-assed RPW and PPPW. I wasn't expecting the mass drug use going on in the crowd. I wasn't expecting having all but four guys curse me out for trying to give them a PPPW sign and a $20 bill. I wasn't expecting the mosh pit that the crowd becomes while Madman Boone repeatedly slams Henry Lee's head into the guard railing. And I wasn't expecting to wander into the wrong area of the crowd and get my ass kicked for my PPPW t-shirt. I spent the night in an after-hours clinic with my shirt torn off and my nose bleeding profusely. I'm glad it was only broken and not ripped off my God damn face.</p><p> </p><p>

Aside from my personal woes with XFW, we got this mouthy guy on their roster named Kurt Laramee. I think he'll be a great heel to piss of the crowd before getting squashed. On the other hand, I damn near put my foot through the glass at a phone booth when I hear Mr. Barber telling me to get my ass back in Philadelphia to stop our champ, Whistler, from heading to XFW. I will give him whatever he wants to stay. I can't lose our champion.</p><p> </p><p>

-Tim Prussen</p>

<p>Jan. 31, 1997</p><p> </p><p>

You'd think booking a show would be a slow affair to drag out over several days, with the actual setup of the stage and the ring following smoothly early that day to allow plenty of time for more important things. After all, our setup is just a big black curtain and a giant golden logo sitting on a curtained black tunnel for our guys to come out of. Add the ring, some lights, the announce table, and the barricade and you're all set.</p><p> </p><p>

Much to my chagrin, it was a scramble, not only to get everything set up on time but also to actually get the workers to look at the run sheet. I've come to understand that I'm here paying my dues right now, but that certainly doesn't change how hard this job is regardless. I was a nervous wreck the entire day, certain that my card was getting laughed at behind my back by much more qualified people. I was certain I'd get canned in the morning.</p><p> </p><p>

I advertised three main matches for Pennsylvania Power: A Tri-State title match between Whistler and Genghis Rahn, Vengeance against Man Mountain Cahill, and the Peak Brothers going for our Tag Titles against The Punisher and John McClean. As for the tag match, the world has seen better and the crowd was pretty dead for the post-match attack the Peak Brothers took out on the champs. The Vengeance match was considerably better, and I personally went to the ring to interview him afterwards. The promo he cut on Genghis Rahn and Whistler about wanting the title himself stole the show, easily. As I had really expected, Genghis Rahn and Whistler didn't work well at all. I have a lot to learn.</p><p> </p><p>

-Tim Prussen</p>

<p>March 2, 1997</p><p> </p><p>

What a month February was. I have real mixed feelings about the situation here.</p><p> </p><p>

On a positive note, our last show, Brawl to the Wall held on February 25, went better than Pennsylvania Power did. I let Vengeance have the strap, and he and Whistler put on a watchable contest. It also doesn't seem like XFW's mass hiring spree is going to get them anywhere. No joke, they've picked up at least 20 new guys in the last two months.</p><p> </p><p>

Thing is, DAVE is miles ahead of the rest of us. The fight between ourselves, XFW, and RPW is for second place here. Andrew Barber and the other dozen people in the front office all know it, and I think the workers know it. Floyd Goldworthy is warming to me, if nothing else. We spent a good hour talking business while Brawl to the Wall was underway. Phil Vibert is some kind of genius; while the rest of us scramble, he sits tight and blows us out at showtime.</p><p> </p><p>

And we are all scrambling, all over-extending ourselves. Rapid Pro Wrestling, centered in North Carolina, doesn't have the close proximity the rest of us do and enjoys more room to breathe. But us and XFW, we're everywhere with our pocket books and employees. In fact, tomorrow Vengeance and Jesse Christian are signing autographs at the Wal-Mart up the street here. I don't doubt for a second that we can outspend XFW, who's apparently just as psychotic with their pocket books as they are with their content.</p><p> </p><p>

I made a big mistake in trying to hasten their demise. I went to their petty few, local sponsors with some tapes to demonstrate to them what kind of risque material they were branding with. Silly me. I had no idea that their sponsors all got front-row tickets to their freakin' blood orgy. In response, Duncan Kendall filed a Complaint. Will the Complaint go anywhere? Our lawyer says no, but I've learned my lesson on trying to impede XFW on their own turf. I'm going to take a page from Phil Vibert's playbook and beat them at showtime.</p><p> </p><p>

Surprisingly, Mr. Barber did not chew my ass. If anything, he seems resigned, resigned to an ultimate defeat that we're scrambling to stem the tide on. Most people around here and in the locker room are resigned. Well, screw being resigned. I'm not scared of DAVE, I'm not scared of RPW, and I'm damn sure not scared of those jackasses on XFW. If I can keep PPPW afloat long enough to piss on their grave, I'll be a fulfilled man.</p><p> </p><p>

The janitor is staring at me, probably wondering why I'm writing this at 7pm in my cubicle, three hours after everyone else went home. Tomorrow, I'll finish scheduling our March event, Portside Slam.</p><p> </p><p>

-Tim Prussen</p>

<p>April 26, 1997</p><p> </p><p>

PPPW Riot Revolution was last night. While I have few complaints about the heavyweight main event between Vengeance and Genghis Rahn, it was Jesse Christian and Bryan Holmes who stole the show. All in all, I think things are looking up; we're even getting some visibility in the Great Lakes, thanks to the lacking performance of Awesome Max Wrestling and a good autograph-tour by Mr. Barber and Whistler.</p><p> </p><p>

I am also thrilled that XFW is about to go bottoms-up. Apparently they finally went in the red after their last show, and went in the red hard - to the extent that they sent home some 14, 15 of their expensive employees. This of course left a big void in their roster depth and popularity. All of a sudden their flyer campaigns have ceased and their merchandising sales in those crummy, grungey little shops around Manhattan have ground to a halt. They may not be dead yet, and we're not exactly healthy ourselves; this next month will prove who passes first, us or them, but the pressure is on to smoke one another this month. It's do or die between us and our garbage-wrestling adversaries.</p><p> </p><p>

We lost Kurt Laramee and Eddie Peak to NEW for development; maybe ol' Rich wants to line up jobbers for his new champion, Sean McFly. Speaking of Richard Eisen, word is coming down the tube that his attitude is making everyone in the SWF - from top to bottom - miserable. His recent issues with Nemesis are well publicised. He gives McFly the strap then jobs him on Supreme TV AND Elite. Tommy Cornell, universally considered the best young talent in the world, has enjoyed three victories all year. I can only assume that the close call with J.K. Stallings has shaken him up bad. Is the SWF poised for a walkout?</p><p> </p><p>

At any rate, I'm meeting Floyd Goldworthy and Clark Alexander for dinner. May will tell the tale.</p><p> </p><p>

-Tim Prussen</p>

Archived