I know Adam may not have much time with a Dec release date to solve any problems that occur with Windows 8, but I was curious to know if TEW 13 was going to be compatible, can't really think of any reason why not, but what I really want to know if TEW 2013 will be able to be played on a Windows 8 tablet. If so I know what I'm buying, Microsoft Surface.

Yes and no. Yes, it probably WILL work on a tablet running the full Windows 8, but NOT the Surface RT or any other tablet running Windows 8 "RT" which is basically the mobile version of 8. There is going to be a Microsoft Surface released in a month or two with full Windows 8, but with a $200 higher price tag.

Oh yeah, was just thinking, this subject brings to mind a question I've wanted to ask Adam: will we be able to look forward to a TEW on Android and iOS any time in the future? Playing TEW on phones and tablets would be very nice, and there's obviously a market for it. If it does happen, I just hope to see day 1 Android support. Too many developers neglect the platform.

I doubt it; I don't think VB programs can run on Android without being pretty much entirely rewritten.

Nope. Just Java. Weirdly enough.

There is a C compiler but apparently it's so wonky they specifically say not to use it unless you have to.

EDIT: I can't say to a certainty at this point, but I seem to recall that 2010 ran fine on my Windows 8 box. I'll have to reinstall to be absolutely sure, I think it got lost somewhere in the shuffle and never got reinstalled. I do hope I remembered to unlicense. Scott already dislikes me enough for emailing him like every other month crying about my license... :p

A Windows 8 possible issue

I used the last Windows 8 beta and when the compatibility issues became a problem and the Windows tech informed me I would have to do a clean recovery and re-install, the un-licensing ability was buggered and would not even show an option to unlicense TEW10. Not sure if this will still be an issue with the retail release, but I felt I should give you a heads up.

I have had the same problem with Vista since 2010 was released. Every time I want to move my game from my desktop to my laptop I have to go into the command prompt to un-license it. I have not done much checking into Windows 8 as it looked like another whopping disappointment from Microsoft and only real reason to upgrade from XP, Vista, or 7 is if you have a touch screen monitor or tablet. I'm not even sure if Windows 8 has a command prompt. Though it would almost have to in order to run certain diagnostics.

I have had the same problem with Vista since 2010 was released. Every time I want to move my game from my desktop to my laptop I have to go into the command prompt to un-license it. I have not done much checking into Windows 8 as it looked like another whopping disappointment from Microsoft and only real reason to upgrade from XP, Vista, or 7 is if you have a touch screen monitor or tablet. I'm not even sure if Windows 8 has a command prompt. Though it would almost have to in order to run certain diagnostics.

Of course it has a command prompt.

Windows 8

That's funny that you said that about TEW 2013 running on Windows 8 because it should run just fine because I have tested other games and they seem to work just fine running under Windows 8. I would be careful still. The retail version of windows 8 is probably more bug free then the beta or preview copy considering how they both came out months ago. The retail version is also probably better because it has other features that will allow you to run games underneath windows 8. Remember the beta and preview copy were extremely buggy and were not meant to play games.

Would be great to have Android Tew (or even a less featured EWR style light version) but I actually find using TeamViewer to remote view my home Pc works great for playing the game on both Android and especially on Ipad where it's almost flawless.

The more shortcuts and usibility features Adam adds (like removing the drop down list of road agent notes and replacing it with a clickable list, announced this week) the easier this will be...

I love my smartphone (android) and I love to play games on my smartphone.

I can't imagine playing TEW on a phone. Do phones even have the processing power for TEW? Or would you need a specific phone version that was slimmed down and was a simple booker.

Well, you'd need to make a very significant change to how the UI works, at least.

It's entirely possible that the algorithm is too complicated. I don't know for sure. I'd like to try but I'm light years away from having anything ready to code for the phone! Or at least months away. :p Though it wouldn't be identical to TEW even if I were to work on such a project.

Archived