Match Grades

unfortunately the biggest element seems to be match length...often I'm faced with a dilemma: go for the win when I have my opponent exhausted or try and string the match out some more and then go for the win? winning a C or C+ match doesn't seem to help me get over at all, but by not going for finishers and stringing it out I risk losing a C or C+ match. it's tricky and I don't know how "realistic" this part of the game is. if I completely dominate someone and crush them in 4 minutes flat, I should get some overness for being impressive, even if the match was not entertaining. but as it is set up I'd win a match rated D because it was too short and lose overness!

A Long match does not always meen a good one.. even in the game. I had a thirty min match with Sam Strong, and it got a D. I have had a B+ match that went 27 mins, and that was within the first month with a Rookie. So it depends how exciting you are as well. Its not asking much to have a half an hour match, considering it only takes what... seven mins tops? It also feels more like you accomplished something, if you lose it, oh well, but at least you had a great match. Least thats the way I look at it.

the issue is that if you can win a match in 10 mins you should do so...but the game penalizes you for this. so you have to wait 20 mins and hope you don't lose in the process. then when it's a b- I can actually try and get a pinfall.

I don't like this -- it seems rather unrealistic. I mean, what you end up with is two exhausted wrestlers with no energy, and you're doing finishers on the ring apron for a half hour to bring up their average wow factor, but not pinning the guy. I'm not sure by whose standards that qualifies as a good wrestling match. If you ask me, the grade should be penalized if the match goes longer than the wrestlers' stamina can bear, and not penalized for bringing the match home before it gets sloppy.

[QUOTE]I don't like this -- it seems rather unrealistic. I mean, what you end up with is two exhausted wrestlers with no energy, and you're doing finishers on the ring apron for a half hour to bring up their average wow factor, but not pinning the guy. I'm not sure by whose standards that qualifies as a good wrestling match. If you ask me, the grade should be penalized if the match goes longer than the wrestlers' stamina can bear, and not penalized for bringing the match home before it gets sloppy.[/QUOTE] But that would be unrealistic because of the way you're playing! If you've got a crap wrestler beat in 5 minutes but decide to continue throwing big moves in for the next 20 to try and raise your rating, then you're wrestling in an unrealistic style to begin with. If you can beat him that easily then you should, and the rating should be pretty low because it's a one-sided short match. You're not meant to be aiming to get a B+ on every bout - like the grades say, B+ is a very good match. It's something you have with a quality opponent when you take each other to the limit, not something you try to force by seeing how many "wow" moves you can fit in on a semi-conscious opponent. [QUOTE=spmkillie]totally agree... a 5 min squash should put you over,[/QUOTE] Which it does. Just because you don't get a good rating, doesn't mean you're not gaining overness.

>Just because you don't get a good rating, doesn't mean you're not gaining overness. > I usually notice one point of overness for a win. Will the game award more overness for a "convincing" win, or is it all the same in the record book? Regarding the match grades for a one-sided fight, I agree that it's not an entertaining match for the crowd. However, as a rookie trying to earn money and get booked you need to put on a B show every time out. Killing some slob and getting a D match will just make you look like an unskilled worker in the booker's eyes, right?

You gain more or less overness depending on who you beat. No, having a D rated match wouldn't hurt at all. You can gain overness from great matches, but you don't lose it for low ratings - otherwise using the emergency exit (and the resulting DUD) would be a waste of time, not to mention that being poor in the ring hasn't stopped quite a few of the most over men in real history - Hogan, Andre, etc.

Archived