Fifth Wheel in a Football rich State (UAB Dynasty)

I have been a long time fan of BBCF and decided to jump back in and give it a go. Likley biting off more than I can chew with taking the challenge of trying to get UAB respectable.

I am from the state of Alabama and a rather over the top Auburn fan. I am very familiar with this states love of football and the pecking order that seems to be the mindset here.

That said I figured I would give UAB a shot and take the head coaching job in Birmingham since I am the state and know the other schools and the high schools for recruiting.

I am taking on a rather skinny UAB team that does not hold out much hope for immediate success and the challenge to build them over recruiting is going to be a long term goal/solution with competing in the heart of the SEC for talent.

First things first, in the review of my roster I can only go with what I hope to be a balanced offense with the scarsity of talent in all apsects. On defense, with the non existance of anything in the middle of the line and lack of depth, I will run the 3-4 defense. In one area, I do have decent depth at linebackers, though very young a raw talent. I have inherited a group of assistants that most certainly will be short lived through a rough first season. The OC is a west coast guy with strong roots in the West Coast offense, which in no way will I be able run on short notice with this team. The DC is a guy also from the West and likes to run the 5-2 and with the lack of linemen and firepower up front, I can not accomodate his style either. While the DC is pretty good at scouting players and opponents, his ability to develop young talent is lacking. The OC only contribution is going to be a strong knowledge of gameplanning. He has no note worthy skills at scouting or developing talent. I am going to have to settle with the ST coach and wade through the season as best I can until replacements become available.

The teams expectations from the boards standpoint is low. The only expectations from them is to be competitive around the conferecne and not get blown out by rival Memphis. This brings good hope that patience will be in place to give me time to build.

My first schedule is going to be a bit tougher than I had hoped. Outside of the eight conference games (4 home / 4 road) I will be playing three of the four on the road having to travel to Colorado, Mississippi State, and Duke while getting Western Kentucky at home.

WEEK OPPONENT

1 @ Colorado

2 @ Mississippi State

3 OPEN

4 @ Houston

5 @ Rice

6 Memphis

7 Central Florida

8 OPEN

9 @ Southern Miss

10 Marshall

11 Tulane

12 @ East Carolina

13 OPEN

14 Western Kentucky

15 @ Duke

Scheduling the first four games on the road was not the best start for me.

The Conference USA projections for the 2005 season are as follows :

CUSA 2005 Predictions CUSA 2005 Predictions

West Division East Division

Houston Central Florida

Tulane Memphis

SMU East Carolina

Tulsa Southern Miss

UTEP Marshall

Rice UAB

CUSA 2005 Champion Prediction

Houston

• 2 weeks later...

good luck to you. could be a big hill to climb, but certainally doable.

After my system crashed and I had to start over, I chose ECU for a similar daunting task. In my 2nd year, UAB won the east division (every team was in the hunt right down to the end as they were within a game of .500 either way). I found game-planning may be a big deal here. Talent development being a close second as you are not going to out recruit Bama and Auburn for the in state guys. Just have to find a way to win with what you get.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived