Bugs/Suggestions Thread

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Half trap: you'll generate more steals and fouls and give up more open shots than man. Also uses more stamina. Basically goes all out for steals at the cost of defensive breakdowns at times.

Help: Same on ball defense as man but the off ball people are going to play off to be in better position to help if the man guarding the ball gets beat. You should give up less penetration but more open outside shots.

Zone: Play off all around. Zone is like Help but with less on the ball pressure. Less fouls due to playing off.

In lieu of a more thorough treatment of drafting from foreign leagues at the moment, would it be possible to have some way to move a player from x league into the draft pool of y league? Tried to do this with a player and it never sticks, it just dumps him into the free agent pool instead.

You have to make sure the TEAM dropdown still says draft after you change the LEAGUE dropdown. It was resetting to blank previously when you changed the league. I've changed it for the next build so it won't do that.

No, I've been doing that, but it still won't stick. I'm referring specifically here to moving guys who have already been playing in another league into a draft pool, rather than moving guys between draft pools (which works fine), since otherwise guys who have careers like Yao Ming or Danilo Gallinari or whoever where they're already a big player in a big international league before being drafted never go through the draft and enter the league as (sometimes max-level) free agents.

Gotcha. I'll get that working for the update as well.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Couple of other small things: 1) is it possible to get staff/owners generated for a certain league to use the host country's name pool (it always uses the American pool right now), 2) very minor bug I've noticed: the characters Ž and ž are displayed as an empty box on rosters etc (although it displays fine when you actually view the player info thing), I've not noticed any other special characters exhibiting the same behaviour though.

Resigned from my team, quick simmed a year, and my GM is gone along with its history.

Happened on 2 separate occasions. Was sure I had resigned and not retired the second time. Though I would expect a retired GM to stay listed amongst the human controlled list anyways.

Brian,

Can you confirm the "ratings" one can view when opening the game and not logging in?

What I mean is, when I open a league and just prior to logging into my team account (and not having a commish password), I can visit the free agent page, click on Current or Potential ratings, and the sort will actually rank the players by ability.

Are those by real ratings? Sure, they don't get numbers, but it seems the sort is definitely ranking players by talent.

edit: I'll take it back. I think it's ranking players according to a team's scout (dependent on who the Hot Seat drop down is listed on). That's not too bad. I guess you could see what another team sees, but you either trust your scout or you don't. I can live with that.

<p>Because I like to try and break things...</p><p> </p><p>

During Training Camps, I found myself wanting to test if I could fire a head coach and replace him with one of my assistants. I found I cannot do that organically (Perhaps, this can be coded in some way, Brian? Would be nice to promote from within).</p><p> </p><p>

So instead I fired my assistant and then offered him a head coach position.</p><p> </p><p>

However, because I did not attempt to hire an assistant in his place, it appears the game freezes whenever you try to run Training Camps.</p><p> </p><p>

Thought you should know this. I can understand why this happens, but thought I bring it up.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Also, if you fire a coach during the season, does it hit your finances?</p>

<p>I think the league scouting is too perfect.</p><p> </p><p>

The NBA teams will always select the absolute best players in order and never will pick any busts or there won't be any late-draft gems like in real life.</p><p> </p><p>

Early in the game the way the game valued players was odd but it was actually a charming feature because players like Jim Pollard would be in the second round and guys like Paul Arizin went undrafted so it was a decently cool feature to get a key player for your team as an undrafted FA or unheralded late 1st, or second rounder.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Carlos" data-cite="Carlos" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Brian,<p> </p><p> Can you confirm the "ratings" one can view when opening the game and not logging in?</p><p> </p><p> What I mean is, when I open a league and just prior to logging into my team account (and not having a commish password), I can visit the free agent page, click on Current or Potential ratings, and the sort will actually rank the players by ability.</p><p> </p><p> Are those by real ratings? Sure, they don't get numbers, but it seems the sort is definitely ranking players by talent.</p><p> </p><p> edit: I'll take it back. I think it's ranking players according to a team's scout (dependent on who the Hot Seat drop down is listed on). That's not too bad. I guess you could see what another team sees, but you either trust your scout or you don't. I can live with that.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You nailed it. It is still sorting by that team's scout but without the details.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Carlos" data-cite="Carlos" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Because I like to try and break things...<p> </p><p> During Training Camps, I found myself wanting to test if I could fire a head coach and replace him with one of my assistants. I found I cannot do that organically (Perhaps, this can be coded in some way, Brian? Would be nice to promote from within).</p><p> </p><p> So instead I fired my assistant and then offered him a head coach position.</p><p> </p><p> However, because I did not attempt to hire an assistant in his place, it appears the game freezes whenever you try to run Training Camps.</p><p> </p><p> Thought you should know this. I can understand why this happens, but thought I bring it up.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Also, if you fire a coach during the season, does it hit your finances?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I've got a staff update planned that should include the option to promote your assistant. Right now the firing doesn't hit your finances but it will when I do the update.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="biedrins" data-cite="biedrins" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Very minor bug: if you go to team staff, go to a player profile, and click "next" until you get to the scout, this happens:<p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thanks. I had to stare at that for a second to see what was wrong then it made sense.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TLCJR4LIFE" data-cite="TLCJR4LIFE" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think the league scouting is too perfect.<p> </p><p> The NBA teams will always select the absolute best players in order and never will pick any busts or there won't be any late-draft gems like in real life.</p><p> </p><p> Early in the game the way the game valued players was odd but it was actually a charming feature because players like Jim Pollard would be in the second round and guys like Paul Arizin went undrafted so it was a decently cool feature to get a key player for your team as an undrafted FA or unheralded late 1st, or second rounder.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Busts do happen there just might not be enough of them. I've been thinking about this when looking at the draft history to see how players from earlier seasons have turned out.</p>

<p>Was looking at my staff in the offseason and offering an extension to everyone by hitting the 'next' button on the profile screen.</p><p> </p><p>

However, one assistant spot was vacant and when I 'nexted' into that slot got an error 9 crash.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Brian Nichols" data-cite="Brian Nichols" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35816" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Busts do happen there just might not be enough of them. I've been thinking about this when looking at the draft history to see how players from earlier seasons have turned out.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> What I mean is you will see guys like Darko going in the top 5 like you see almost every year.</p><p> </p><p> The computer drafts perfectly based on skills and only rarely do you see a better player fall in a draft and it's usually for positional reasons. Like I saw Kirk Hinrich go over Chris Bosh but it's not like Kirk Hinrich is a scrub and he still was probably the best point guard in that draft.</p><p> </p><p> So basically over a long dynasty you frequently see the all-league teams being nothing but a slew of every year's number 1 overall pick.</p>

What I mean is you will see guys like Darko going in the top 5 like you see almost every year.

The computer drafts perfectly based on skills and only rarely do you see a better player fall in a draft and it's usually for positional reasons. Like I saw Kirk Hinrich go over Chris Bosh but it's not like Kirk Hinrich is a scrub and he still was probably the best point guard in that draft.

So basically over a long dynasty you frequently see the all-league teams being nothing but a slew of every year's number 1 overall pick.

I think it's worth noting that while this is usually the case with historical seasons, with generated players you do see a realistic rate of guys completely fail to live up to their draft position, #1 picks included.

On a related note, some specific guys, usually PGs, are badly underrated. Big one is Derrick Rose; primarily because his ball-handling and passing are so low (and also I guess partially because the engine can't seem to deal with an inside-scoring PG), Rose grades out as a 3* guy in a 2012 start, averages ~15 points and something horrifying like 3.5 assists as a starter and usually goes straight to the bench and is out of the league as early as possible. In general, there seems to be an issue across the board with certain PGs putting up way lower numbers than they should do; Rondo, Ricky Rubio, John Wall and Jose Calderon are some other big examples of this in the historical DB. Not quite sure why this happens; maybe (except in the case of Calderon, that's probably just an athleticism thing) a thing where their inability to shoot is bringing it down excessively?

One other thing I've noticed: assist totals drop a fair bit over time. The raw distribution of top-level passers and top-level ball-handlers seems to be fine when viewed in isolation, the issue is that you get a lot less guys who are both elite passers and elite ball-handlers (so whereas before your guy with 65 passing is likely going to have the ball-handling to make good use of it, now it's a coinflip whether he has more than 60 or less than 60 there, so you've gone from 80% of those guys being potential 7+ assist PGs to maybe 30% at best).

Archived