Trials and Tribulations: Donovan Cambridge

I'm going to try to keep up with this diary the best I can, never have done one before. I just decided to start this diary for fun. I've already wrestled well over a year into the career of Donovan Cambridge. I'll do a quick recap of his previous performance and pick it up from there.

Who is Donovan Cambridge? A very motivated 25 year old who decided to postpone his teaching career for awhile to pursue his lifelong dream of becoming a professional wrestler. A very likeable guy and well receieved in the locker room, Cambridge is working as a babyface for various promotions. He finished the 2005 year, his first year as a pro, ranked 108th in the world in the top 500. A humbled Cambridge admitted "I don't feel I deserve to be ranked so high, but I appreciate all the support from the entire wrestling community." So far in his short career he has accumulated a record of 37-24. He is currently working for: 21st Century Wrestling - $108 per appearance, midcard babyface 4C - $43 per appearance, lower midcard babyface CZCW - $173 per appearance, upper midcard babyface NYCW - $128 per appearance, upper midcard babyface ROF - $108 per appearance, Main Event babyface UCR - $40 per appearance, lower midcard heel USPW - $40 per appearance, lower midcard babyface Cambridge has been involved in a few very good matches through his career so far having some B- and B matches and one B+ match in November of 2005 at the USPW Thanksgiving Thunder show as he defeated Dallas McWade in a 33 minute affair. Right now his financial situation is ok but he hopes to start making some better money to avoid having to dip into his savings from his teaching career. Currently he has $6,655 in his account. He's earned $1,088 this year but spent $2,000. He's also living the paying your dues lifestyle and is a little depressed to be 25 years old living this way. But he hopes he can rise through the ranks and make enough to be happy. Next segment......the turning point

"Oh, a CZCW show tonight" Cambridge mutters as he drives down the road talking on the phone to his wife. "Don't know, last time I worked a CZCW show was in December but I got the call to come to the show tonight. Heck, ever since I've been working for them I've only had 3 matches since August of last year." Cambridge hangs up the phone and thinks back on why the CZCW haven't used him more. "Let's see I fought Joe Gilbert in my debut and had a whopping E match with him, the worst in my career. Maybe that's why I haven't worked there more. But c'mon I had a B- match with Dog Fyte and a B match with Primal Rage even though I lost both of them. Wonder if anyone in the locker room will even remember me?" Cambridge later enters the arena and walks into the locker room only to be greeted by a smiling CZCW owner Cliff Anderson. "Hey Cambridge, good to see you boy. I've heard you've been improving greatly since the last time you were here." "Thank you Mr. Anderson, I truly appreciate it" remarked Cambridge. Anderson then asks "Cambridge, you think your ready to Main Event a show for me and fight Fox Mask tonight for the Coastal Zone Championship?" Cambridge's face lit up and he started to tear up just a bit, his voice cracking he replied "You bet your sweet *** I'm ready sir. I won't let you down." The Main Event match for the title turned out to be a very good contest between the two men. Cambridge nailed Fox Mask 27 minutes in with a DC Killer Kick, which he recently coined the name for. It's a Ground Roundhouse Kick that nearly decapitates an opponent when it lands. Well, it landed, and true to form Fox slumped over like he had been shot at close range. The ref made the three count and Cambridge had not only main evented a card for the first time but also fought for a title the first time and he came out on top. Next up, on the road again..........

June begins and Cambridge flies to a show for 4C up in Canada. He notices his name is listed on the card for the night jerking the curtain partnering with Silver Shark and taking on Dermot O' Logical and Jesse Gilbert. Well, I can Main Event for CZCW and jerk the curtain here, stupid Canada. But hey, at least they are using me on the card so I shouldn't complain. The best thing I can do is go out there and put on a great match and steal the show in the opener to heat the crowd up. Boy, did it ever not work out. Silver Shark started the match and 6 minutes in goes for a Slingshot Legdrop on Dermot and missed. Dermot rolled over and covered Silver Shark for the pin in a stunner. Match rating D and Cambridge didn't even break a sweat. My God, I might as well not have been booked. Can't show off any talent but at least I got paid to stand here and cheer, whatever. Ultimate Combat Ring has a show on Thursday and Cambridge jets over to the UK to find out he's been booked in another tag contest teaming with Evil Henchman #2 vs Jonni Dyslexic and White Knight. Well, at least it's not the opener this time but why am I teaming with Evil Henchman #2? He's apparently the second banana of this team and he's my teammate tonight. The match is yet another ho hum affair with White Knight dominating the action once he was tagged in 2 minutes in. The match went 14 minutes and ended with White obliterating Henchy 2 with a Leaping Piledriver for the three count. Cambridge has until Sunday for his next booking, the USPW Civil War card....

Archived