The League of Extraordinary Football Players

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:36px;">FAU Game 7</span></p><p> </p><p> DE Kurt Wood, FB Bryan Nelson have fully recovered from their injuries. FS Masterson still has some breathing issues recovering from his broken ribs, so we’ve decided to sit him again this week and see how he recovers next week. RB Smith still has some inflammation in his knee but says he’s able to play. Doc says he won’t be 100%, but we’re trusting John’s opinion and letting him suit up, but he won’t be taking the majority of snaps, if any. FS Peter Green and RB Edward Williams will be starting in their place again this week.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37558" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Update on current recruit targets for next year:<p> </p><p> WR H. Olsen is playing for Big Rapids (3) competitive level school in Michigan. So far he’s racked up 23 receptions, for 279 yards, 3 touchdowns, and 5 pass deflections on defense. He’s very interested in our school.</p><p> </p><p> WR S. Rosado is playing for Kingstree (3) in South Carolina. He has 20 receptions, for 224 yards, 3 touchdowns, and 5 pass deflections on defense. He’s extremely interested in coming to our school.</p><p> </p><p> OLB S. Livingston is playing for St. Thomas Aquinas (1) in Florida. He has 27 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 tackles for loss, 133 rushing yards, and he’s averaging 3.0 yards per carry. He’s extremely interested in coming to our school.</p><p> </p><p> OG D. Benoit is playing for Chapman (3) in South Carolina. He has no stats available, but he is 6’6, 265 lbs and he’s extremely interested in playing for us.</p><p> </p><p> C Kevin Harris is playing for Midland Valley (3) in South Carolina. He has no stats available, and he’s very interested in playing for us.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong>Florida Atlantic (6-0) vs. (2-4) Ohio</strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>First Quarter:</strong></p><p> We worked our way up the field on our first possession, and QB Varela runs the ball in 10 yards himself for a touchdown. (7-0 FAU)</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Second Quarter:</strong></p><p> FS Peter Green deflects a pass and CB Reginald Coleman dives making a shoe-tip diving catch for an amazing interception!</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Third Quarter:</strong></p><p> Their RB was tackled in their own end zone for a safety! (9-0 FAU)</p><p> </p><p> Right off of the safety, QB Varela finds WR Olsen in the end zone for a touchdown! We tried for a 2 point conversion to put us up by 4 possessions but failed. (15-0 FAU)</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Fourth Quarter:</strong></p><p> OLB Ned Perry catches a ball overthrown to the wide out for an interception!</p><p> </p><p> K Shane Dunlap knocks in a 41 yard field goal. (18-0 FAU)</p><p> </p><p> Ohio’s 29 yard field goal is blocked!!!</p><p> </p><p> 0:47 seconds left in the game, and CB Forrest Dunn intercepts the ball to end the game!</p><p> </p><p> <strong>Florida Atlantic defeats Ohio in a shutout, 18 to 0!</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37558" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This season I have just completed, and with no spoilers to us, <p> Notre Dame went 9-3 this year, won their conference at 3-0, went to the Gator Bowl and lost to Maryland 41-34. Overall they had a good year!</p></div></blockquote>

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FAU Game 8

Going to Louisiana-Monroe, RB John Smith still isn’t 100% with his knee, but we’re going to let him take first string snaps this week and hope his knee gets better not worse. DE Wood and Beltran are both sitting out, Wood with a shoulder injury and Beltran with a neck injury. FS Masterson is getting better so he’s close to getting playing time. Curry, Weir, and Ware are filling in the DE positions while FS Green gets the go ahead over Masterson.

Florida Atlantic (7-0) vs. (1-6) Louisiana-Monroe

(1st Quarter)

- Pass from QB Varela to WR Richardson for a touchdown. 7-0 FAU.

- ULM responds with a touchdown of their own, tied game. 7-7.

(2nd Quarter)

- QB Varela brings the FAU offense down the field, but winds up throwing an interception off a tip.

- K Shane Dunlap knocks in a 40 yard field goal to regain the lead for us. 10-7 FAU.

- K Dunlap kicks in another 34 yard field goal extending our lead. 13-7 FAU.

- ULM attempts a 49 yard field goal but doesn’t get it!

(3rd Quarter)

- QB Varela makes a god-awful pass right to the other team for another interception.

- ULM capitalizes on the interception only to get their field goal blocked!

- K Dunlap kicks in a 48 yard field goal, perfectly. 16-7 FAU.

(4th Quarter)

- 2:16 left in the game, and ULM is able to score a touchdown. They miss the extra point though! 16-13 FAU.

- 0:23 left in the game, and K Dunlap kicks in a 35 yard field goal! 19-13 FAU.

- Touchback on the kickoff gives them the ball with 0:16 left. 1st down, incomplete with 0:09 left. Second down, incomplete with 0:03 left on the clock. 3rd down, 0:00 left on the clock, and the ULM QB is sacked for the win!

Florida Atlantic defeats Louisiana-Monroe, 19-13.

Another nail-biter finish and we’ve amazingly led our team to 8 wins, 0 losses and on our way to an undefeated streak, though the idea of it actually lasting that long is still hardly believable.

Week 10

The media has finally caught on to what is going on down in Florida with me, and they labeled me the “Miracle Coach” and I’ve received multiple calls and emails begging for interviews. Finally I decided to give into one, and sat down with ESPN Anchors to do an interview, I told them it’d be my only interview for this season. This is how it went:

Anchor Mike Kunz: And we’re back with a very special gift for everyone, the miracle coach himself, Coach Demarco is here with us live! Coach we’re going to get blunt and get straight to the questions everyone has been wondering, how are you doing it?

Me: I’m not sure what exactly it is you’re referring to?

Anchor Lauren Davis: Don’t be shy Coach, this isn’t the time! You’ve taken a no name team, Geneva Bible and made them pretty much a national contender when you were with them.

Anchor Kunz: Exactly, Geneva Bible was a 4-9 school, and the season you went on, you brought them to 8-5, and then contended at the New Orleans Bowl.

Me: And lost that, mind you. I definitely remember that.

Anchor Davis: Yes, but then you had two back to back 12-1 seasons, where you won the New Orleans Bowl. Then an 11-2 season where you won the Liberty Bowl, and your final season you went 12-1 and…

Me: And lost at the Rose Bowl. Yes I recall that as well.

Anchor Kunz: 63-10 is your record so far, which is incredible. Nobody in the NCAA even remotely is close to your win percentage. You’ve brought your team to the post season all 5 of the years you were there, and you look to be doing the same this year! This year might I share, Geneva Bible after you left has had a 3-5 record so far? Yet you come over to this 3-9 Florida Atlantic team, and suddenly they are 8-0? This is what everyone wants to know, what are you doing, and how is that happening?

Anchor Davis: There surely has to be something you do differently, and that’s the question. How can you turn a team around so drastically?

Me: Let’s not forget, the season is certainly not over. We have a far way to go from where we want to be. I’ve done nothing but believe in my boys, and I’ve seen them reach a potential I knew they could get to, and I’ve held them to that standard even when they thought it couldn’t be done. We all have weak moments where we find ourselves faltering in our faith, and I thank God every day I had someone who could be there for me when that happened in my life. All I’m doing is paying it forward, being there for my players when they fall. These boys at FAU are a family, they are closer than blood could have ever made them. I’m not doing anything… they are.

Anchor Davis: And I can certainly respect that Coach Demarco, but you have to take some credit. You don’t get there by just letting the players do their thing, it takes leadership.

Me: Perfect leadership comes through serving, Ms. Davis. The only credit I can take, is for the effort I put into to showing them their next opponent. Me, and our whole team of Coaches take that credit. We put in the effort off the field to match their effort on the field, and together, as a team, we can’t be stopped. We may lose, we may be defeated, but we won’t be stopped. We’ll get back up, every single time, and we’ll be a challenge to any team we face.

Anchor Kunz: Well the talk has been there this season about being undefeated…

Me: I can just stop you there. We aren’t worried about being undefeated or even being defeated, we’re worried about Arkansas State and beating them. That’s our focus, that’s our goal, and that’s the end goal. We don’t want to be undefeated, we just want to beat Arkansas State.

Anchor Davis: Have you ever thought about running for a position in the NFL?

Me: Have I thought about it? Absolutely I have! Is it something I’m actively pursuing right now, no. It’s not in my interest right now, right now I’m coaching FAU, I’m the Coach of these boys, and I get the utmost privilege of being their mentor. Right now, this is where I belong.

They closed out the rest of the interview and I took my leave after they shook my hand and told me what an honor it was to meet me. It was pretty weird, I’m nothing special... but the feeling quickly ran out of my head. I had prepping to do, we had Arkansas State next week, and a team meeting tomorrow. There was a lot of work left that needed to be done, and no one around to do it but me.

FAU Game 9

DE Beltran, ILB May, and FS Masterson are finally back to 100%. RB Smith and DE Wood aren’t 100 but they’re close. OT Stuart Nelson has an internal injury in his stomach and is strongly advised not to play so we’ll sit him, while DE Curry has a torn tendon in his ankle and will be sitting out for at least a few weeks. On the offensive line, R. Barnett and G. Worley will both be replacing Nelson, while Beltran and Estrada will be replacing DE Curry. SS Daniel Chow decided to visit us from Lakeside, Idaho to check out our program, he’s extremely interested in potentially playing for us.

Arkansas State (2-7) vs. (8-0) Florida Atlantic

(1st Quarter)

- Arkansas State forces a 3 and out, and capitalizes by scoring a touchdown! 7-0, ARKS.

- CB Joseph Small intercepts Arkansas State!

- K Dunlap kicks in a 43 yard field goal. 7-3 ARKS.

- Arkansas State again, scores another touchdown on a 47 yard pass. 14-3 ARKS.

(2nd Quarter)

- Handoff to RB Smith for a touchdown! 14-10 ARKS.

- RB Smith is hit hard and fumbles, and then CB Forrest Dunn nails their RB the next play and makes him fumble!

- WR Craig Olsen makes an incredible catch for 14 yards and a touchdown! 17-14, FAU.

- RB Williams went in to take a couple snaps, and has a footrace into the end zone for a TD! 24-14 FAU!

- Arkansas State responded with a touchdown of their own. 24-21 FAU.

(3rd Quarter)

- Arkansas State knocks in a field goal to tie the game, 24-24.

- QB Varela makes a terrible throw, which is easily intercepted.

- Arkansas State capitalizes off the interception with a field goal to take the lead. 27-24 ARKS.

- QB Varela responds with WR Olsen on a 70 yard touchdown catch! 31-27, FAU.

(4th Quarter)

- WR Richardson scored a touchdown on a reverse! 38-27 FAU!

- RB Williams was in again for RB Smith, and again scored a touchdown! 45-27 FAU.

- OLB Isiah Edmonds intercepts the ball from Arkansas State to end the game!

Florida Atlantic seals away Arkansas State, 45 to 27.

• 1 month later...

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:36px;">FAU Game 10</span></p><p> </p><p>

FAU held on to close against Arkansas State last week, and the win really came when we outlasted their endurance. They just pretty much quit around the middle of the 3rd and our guys were still ready to fight, and we wound up just overcoming them scoring 24 points to their 3 in the second half. We had a feeling Troy wouldn’t be a push over though, so we weren’t going to go into this game underestimating them. RB Smith has progressed really well, and he’s at about 90% with this injury to his knee, so it should be gone by next week even though he’ll be playing against Troy. OT Stuart Nelson said he wanted to play this week, but our trainers didn’t believe it’d be a smart move so we’re sitting him so Barnett and Worley will continue to be our starters. DE Curry is nowhere near able to play because of the torn tendon in his ankle though DE Kurt Wood is finally able to play from that injury to his shoulder. Our D Coach however decided to put Wood in as third string and let Beltran and Weir continue their starting roles.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Florida Atlantic (9-0) vs. (3-6) Troy</strong></p><p> </p><p>

(1st Quarter)</p><p>

- QB Varela on their first drive up the field, finds WR James Richardson for a TD in the end zone! 7-0 FAU.</p><p>

- On their second drive, QB Varela finds TE John Bailey for his second passing TD. 14-0 FAU!</p><p>

- On our third drive, we set up for a 32 yard field goal but have it blocked!!!</p><p> </p><p>

(2nd Quarter)</p><p>

- Two back to back ineligible receiver calls on OG Dennis Clark makes us punt for the first time in this game.</p><p>

- SS Johnny Copeland makes them fumble the ball, but they recover it.</p><p>

- Troy finally gets on the board with a field goal. 14-3, FAU.</p><p>

- Screen pass from QB Varela to TE Jess Peterson puts up another TD! 21-3, FAU.</p><p>

- We start to push it up the field with :30 left on the clock, and with an unbelievable catch, QB Varela is intercepted!</p><p> </p><p>

(3rd Quarter)</p><p>

- FS Wilfred Masterson nails the QB hard for a sack and a fumble and it’s recovered by FAU!</p><p>

- K Shane Dunlap kicks in his first field goal, a 29 yarder to add on 3 after his first attempt was blocked. 24-3, FAU.</p><p>

- Troy tries to add on a field goal, but misses a 48 yard attempt.</p><p>

- RB Edward Williams gets a 51 yard rush for a touchdown! The speed of this guy is amazing. 31-3, FAU.</p><p>

- DE Donald Beltran sacks the QB and makes him fumble again but this time Troy recovers the ball.</p><p>

- RB John Smith gets a 56 yard break away run himself for a touchdown, but it’s called back due to illegal motion!</p><p> </p><p>

(4th Quarter)</p><p>

- Kicker Shane Dunlap knocks in his second field goal. 34-3, FAU.</p><p>

- QB Varela connects with WR James Richardson for his second TD catch of the game. 40-3, FAU after K Dunlap misses the extra point. Coach Demarco is pissed.</p><p>

- SS Johnny Copeland forces another fumble and this time FAU recovers!</p><p>

- QB Cody Walker has started taking snaps at about 4 minutes left in the game.</p><p>

- K Shane Dunlap knocks in a 41 yard field goal, his third of the game. 43-3, FAU.</p><p>

- K Dunlap knocks in his 4th field goal, a 38 yarder to end the game.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Florida Atlantic defeats Troy, 46 to 3.</strong></p><p> </p><p>

QB Varela threw 25 for 35, for 283 yards, 4 touchdowns, and 1 interception.</p><p>

Backup QB Walker threw 1 for 2 for 15 yards.</p><p> </p><p>

RB Smith ran the ball 28 times for 147 yards and RB Williams was 14 for 82 and 1 TD.</p><p> </p><p>

WR Richardson caught the ball 7 times out of 9 attempts, for 79 yards and 2 TD’s.</p><p>

TE Peterson caught the ball 7 times out of 10 attempts, for 76 yards and 1 TD.</p><p>

WR Olsen caught the ball 7 times out of 9 attempts for 58 yards.</p><p>

TE Bailey caught the ball 2 times out of 3 attempts for 54 yards and 1 TD.</p></div><p></p><p></p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:36px;">FAU Game 11</span></p><p>

<span style="font-size:18px;"><em>Week 14</em></span></p><p> </p><p>

The Award Finalists were announced, and I’m used to having people in for the finalist. Looking through the lists, I wasn’t really sure what I’d see seeing as this year our group has played great, but they aren’t top 10 contenders in any measure except for how they’ve played together as a team. These are the finalists:</p><p> </p><p>

2013 Finalists:</p><p>

Paul “Bear” Bryant Finalist: Coach Geno Demarco (Wasn’t really a surprise leading a 3 win team to an undefeated start)</p><p>

Heisman Trophy: QB Leslie Varela (Alright this was a little surprising that he’d even be in the running…)</p><p>

Ray Guy: P Adam Barton</p><p>

Lou Groza: K Shane Dunlap</p><p>

John Mackey: TE Jess Peterson</p><p>

Fred Biletnikoff: WR Craig Olsen</p><p>

Davey O’Brien: QB Leslie Varela</p><p> </p><p>

Now of course they haven’t officially won anything yet, they are just in the running but it’s impressive knowing how my guys have ranked in relations to others. We also just got ranked into the Top 25 Media Poll at #22. We can’t get distracted with potential awards right now though, we still have games left…</p><p> </p><p>

DE Kurt Wood, FB Bryan Nelson, RB John Smith all recovered over our bye week completely, while OT Nelson still is battling with his stomach, C Thompson is dealing with his knee that is tweaked, and DE Curry is fighting through his twisted ankle he suffered during practice this week. OT Nelson and C Thompson both feel they can play, so we are going to let them. DE Curry however we want to sit out so his ankle can fully heal so DE Beltran and DE Wood will be starting this week. This will be a big week for us, as we face our rivals…</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>(#22) Florida Atlantic (10-0) vs. (7-3) Florida International</strong></p><p> </p><p>

(1st Quarter)</p><p>

- 98 yard kick return to start the game off for FAU gets the game off started nicely. RB John Smith runs the rest of the way in for a touchdown. 7-0, FAU.</p><p>

- FIU responds with a touchdown of their own. 7-7 tie game.</p><p>

- FIU forces RB Smith to fumble and they return it for a touchdown. 14-7 FIU.</p><p>

- QB Varela finds TE Peterson in the end zone for a touchdown to tie the game again, 14-14!</p><p> </p><p>

(2nd Quarter)</p><p>

- 43 yard field goal attempt by FIU is missed!</p><p>

- RB Smith punches it in to take the lead for us. 21-14, FAU.</p><p>

- :38 left and FIU punts the ball while we use our first time out. We return it to the FIU 38 with 0:32 left on the clock. An incomplete pass, and it’s 2nd down on the 38 with 0:25 left on the clock. 15 yard pass to TE Peterson moves us up to the 23, with 0:12 left on the clock and we use our 2nd time out. We decide to just go for the 41 yard field goal, but K Dunlap misses it! FIU takes a knee to end the half.</p><p> </p><p>

(3rd Quarter)</p><p>

- FIU scored a touchdown. 21-21.</p><p>

- QB Varela finds WR Olsen for a TD to take the lead again. 28-21, FAU.</p><p> </p><p>

(4th Quarter)</p><p>

- FIU intercepts QB Varela and ran it back for a touchdown! 28-28.</p><p>

- QB Varela finds TE Peterson in the end zone. 35-28, FAU.</p><p>

- FIU attempts a 44 yard field goal but misses it!</p><p>

- QB Varela hits WR Richardson right in the hands in the end zone! 42-28, FAU.</p><p>

- CB Coleman intercepts the ball from FIU!</p><p>

- QB Varela connects with WR Olsen for a touchdown to continue extending the lead. 49-28, FAU.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Florida Atlantic defeats Florida International, 49 to 28.</strong></p></div><p></p><p></p>

• 3 weeks later...

FAU Game 12

Week 15

OT Kenneth Brandon joined the campus today to check us out, just in time for our final game of the regular season against Akron! C Thompson fully recovered from his knee injury, while OT Nelson is almost completely healed with his stomach issues. DE Curry is fighting through his ankle pain while ILB May had a severe concussion. We brought OT Nelson back in at right tackle for this game, while Thompson is going to take the lead snaps under center. With the concussion fear for ILB May, we don’t want him to push it and not be able to play again should something happen so we’re benching him this week and letting JR ILB Jimmy Gibson start at RILB… this should be his chance to impress. DE Beltran and DE Weir are just going to keep their starting positions, regardless of DE Curry doing better, since Curry still isn’t 100%.

We’ve moved up to #14 in the rankings system and ESPN, Sports Center, Bright house Networks, and a bunch of other television networks have been trying to reach us for comment now that everyone is talking about us, but we’ve been very careful not to say anything to anyone. We just have to focus on football right now, we don’t have time to play media.

Update on current recruit targets for next year:

WR H. Olsen is playing for Big Rapids (3) competitive level school in Michigan. So far he’s racked up 42 receptions, for 637 yards, 7 touchdowns, and 12 pass deflections on defense. He’s very interested in our school.

WR S. Rosado is playing for Kingstree (3) in South Carolina. He has 40 receptions, for 520 yards, 5 touchdowns, 12 pass deflections and 1 interception on defense. He’s extremely interested in coming to our school.

OLB S. Livingston is playing for St. Thomas Aquinas (1) in Florida. He has 48 tackles, 4 sacks, 4 tackles for loss, 332 rushing yards, and he’s averaging 3.7 yards per carry. He’s extremely interested in coming to our school.

OG D. Benoit is playing for Chapman (3) in South Carolina. He has no stats available, but he is 6’6, 265 lbs and he’s extremely interested in playing for us.

SS Daniel Chow is playing for Lakeside Highschool (4) in Idaho. He has 38 tackles, 0 pass deflections, and 3 interceptions. He’s extremely interested in playing for us.

Akron (5-5) vs. (11-0) Florida Atlantic (#14)

(1st Quarter)

- After a sack on the first play of the game, the second play resulted in an interception by SS Ruben Ingram from the Akron QB!

- K Dunlap knocks in a field goal to take the early lead for FAU, 3-0.

- RB Smith runs it in at the 2 to extend the lead. 10-0, FAU.

-FS Masterson makes a huge hit for us to make them fumble, and it’s recovered by SS Ingram!

- QB Varela fires a pass out to RB Smith for a touchdown! 17-0 FAU.

(2nd Quarter)

- QB Varela was in trouble and runs it in for a touchdown himself! 24-0 FAU!

- Akron scored a touchdown to put points on the board. 24-7 FAU.

- CB Coleman with an interception against the Akron QB!

- 3rd and 33 situation on our own side of the field, and QB Varela finds WR Richardson for 41! 0:51 left on the clock and FAU uses their first timeout. 1st and 10, QB Varela finds TE Peterson for 6. 2nd and 4, 0:45 and the clock is running, incomplete pass intended to WR Olsen stops the clock at 0:32. 3rd and 4, fake handoff and the defense bites, quick pitch to RB Smith for 11 yards! FAU calls their second timeout with 0:24 left on the clock. It’s 1st and Goal on the 8 yard line, QB Varela scrambles to the outside and takes off getting stopped just 1 yard short of the goal line! 2nd and Goal on the 1 yard line, 0:17 left in play and the clock is running! K Dunlap walks out onto the field, and knocks in the 19 yard field goal to waste the time out of the half. 27-7 FAU.

(3rd Quarter)

- K Dunlap misses a 40 yard field goal attempt.

- K Dunlap makes up for the missed kick with a 48 yard field goal. 30-7 FAU.

(4th Quarter)

- QB Varela finds WR Olsen in the end zone for a TD! 37-7 FAU.

- K Dunlap misses the 43 yard field goal attempt.

- K Dunlap misses the 45 yard field goal attempt.

- Akron with another touchdown pass. 37-14 FAU.

- Akron tries for an onside kick but FAU holds onto it, then takes a knee to end the game.

Florida Atlantic defeats Akron, 37-14.

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:36px;">Conference Championships</span></p><p> </p><p>

2013 Ray Guy Award was given to our own Punter Adam Barton. Also during this week, we were moved up to #8 in the Media Poll! During the conference championships we saw:</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>ACC Championship:</strong> (#1) Virginia Tech (10-1) vs. (9-2) Maryland (#7)</p><p>

<strong>Big Twelve Championship:</strong> (#3) Oklahoma (11-1) vs. (9-2) Colorado (#5)</p><p>

<strong>Conference USA Championship:</strong> Miami (OH) (8-3) vs. (8-4) East Carolina</p><p>

<strong>Mid-American Championship:</strong> Western Michigan (8-3) vs. (7-5) Kent State</p><p>

<strong>Southeastern Championship:</strong> (#10) LSU (8-3) vs. (7-4) Florida</p><p> </p><p>

Virginia Tech took it to Maryland hard, 37-20 to take the ACC Championship.</p><p>

Colorado upset Oklahoma, 30-22 when Colorado came back from behind a 22-9 score in the 4th quarter to score 21 points to win the Big Twelve Championship.</p><p>

Miami (OH) went back and forth with East Carolina, finally sealing their win with a touchdown late in the 4th quarter to win the Conference USA Championship.</p><p>

Kent State defeated Western Michigan convincingly in a 24-17 win for the Mid-American Championship.</p><p>

LSU went down early in the first, but then came back and since never looked like they were in danger of losing to Florida to win the Southeastern Championship.</p><p> </p><p>

We got invited to a Bowl I’m very familiar with, the New Orleans Bowl to face Central Florida. OG Clark has a strained neck, ILB May has a severe concussion still, and FS Masterson has a torn tendon in his forearm. All three seem willing to go, but FS Peter Green is taking Masterson’s place, ILB Jimmy Gibson is taking May’s place, and OG James Bauer is taking Clark’s place.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>(#8) Florida Atlantic (12-0) vs. (6-5) Central Florida</strong></p><p> </p><p>

(1st Quarter)</p><p>

- UCF kicks a field goal to take the first lead of the game. 3-0 UCF.</p><p>

- FAU misses a 45 yard field goal.</p><p> </p><p>

(2nd Quarter)</p><p>

- QB Varela finds WR Olsen in the end zone for a touchdown! 7-3 FAU.</p><p>

- UCF responds back with a touchdown of their own. 10-7 UCF.</p><p>

- K Shane Dunlap makes a 44 yard field goal to tie the game, 10-10.</p><p> </p><p>

(3rd Quarter)</p><p>

- K Dunlap makes a 40 yard field goal to take the lead! 13-10 FAU!</p><p>

- We fumble a punt return giving them really good position.</p><p>

- Luckily we limited them to only a field goal. 13-13, tie game.</p><p> </p><p>

(4th Quarter)</p><p>

- Interception by SS Ruben Ingram!</p><p>

- K Dunlap kicks a 23 yard field goal to take the lead again with 5:48 left on the clock. 16-13 FAU!</p><p>

- We force a turnover but fumble the ball on the punt return yet again, luckily this time our own team recovers it.</p><p>

- 84 yard pass is a touchdown for UCF with 2:20 left on the clock! 20-16 UCF.</p><p>

1:41 left in the game, 1st and 10 on our own 40. Fake handoff by QB Varela and the pass finds TE Peterson for 20 yards. 1st and 10 on UCF’s 40, with 1:19 left on the clock. Two back to back incomplete passes to WR Jorge Stpierre puts us in a 3rd and 10 on their 40 yard line, with 0:46 left to play. It looks like QB Varela is going to be sacked on the play when he takes off down the field himself and gains 20 yards! 1st and 10 on the UCF 20, 0:40 left on the clock. Incomplete pass to TE Peterson. 2nd and 10, 0:24 left on the clock and it’s running. QB Varela looks, and finds FB Bryan Nelson in the end zone and Nelson makes the grab! Touchdown! After the extra point, with 0:14 left on the clock, the score is 23-20 FAU.</p><p>

High kickoff into the end zone for no return gives them the ball at their own 20, with 0:07 seconds left on the clock. The QB finds their WR taking off down the sidelines, beaten his man, and for 80 yards as the last seconds fade, they connect and score a touchdown. SS J Copeland got beat and allowed the score. 27-20 UCF at the literal, last second.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Central Florida defeats Florida Atlantic, 27-23 to win the New Orleans Bowl.</strong></p><p> </p><p>

</p></div><p></p><p></p>

• 1 month later...
<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37558" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Admittedly, it hurt pretty bad losing like that and it was kinda hard to pick up the game again for a little bit. Nobody likes losing, but a last second play that was caused by our own lack of play? That was bogus, and nobody deserves to lose like that. Anywho… onto the next season.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span style="font-size:36px;">Post-Season</span></p><p> </p><p> Besides our loss, the main bowl games this year are:</p><p> </p><p> Orange Bowl: (#6) Syracuse (11-0) vs. (9-2) Wisconsin (#7)</p><p> Sugar Bowl: (#2) California (9-2) vs. (9-3) LSU (#9)</p><p> Fiesta Bowl: (#5) Oklahoma (11-2) vs. (9-2) Michigan (#3)</p><p> Rose Bowl (Championship): (#1) Virginia Tech (11-1) vs. (10-2) Colorado (#4)</p><p> </p><p> In the Orange Bowl, Syracuse defeated Wisconsin, 39-34.</p><p> In the Sugar Bowl, California defeated LSU, 41-24.</p><p> In the Fiesta Bowl, Oklahoma upset Michigan, 20-17.</p><p> In the Rose Bowl, Colorado upset Virginia Tech, 38-19 to become the 2013 NCAA Champion.</p><p> </p><p> I got a couple of job offers by about 8 different schools, but I didn’t even open their letters. I had a mission with this new team of mine, and I wasn’t about to give up on them. Meanwhile Bowling Green moved to the Conference USA conference while UTEP Miners dropped to the Mid-American conference. In other news, the Texas Christian Horned Frogs moved to the Big Twelve conference, while the Kansas Jayhawks were demoted to the Mountain West conference. The 3-8 South Carolina under Coach Schroeder went to 5-6 in 2013, while Coach Tyler Wall went unemployed for the remainder of 2013.</p><p> </p><p> Coach Scott Guerra (Our Special Teams Coach) I decided to release after how this season went, and hired another well known special teams coach Lloyd Thompson to take over for us. Defensive Coach Sherman and Offensive Coach Chadwick I decided to keep on board for this next year. I was able to look over and review my own stats and I’ve noticed in the Post-Season I have gone 3-3. Not my most proud statistic. </p><p> </p><p> Our transfer window came and gone, and while they were a couple people interested in coming to play for us for a scholarship, there wasn’t anybody I was interested in giving a shot this year. I’d rather take my chances in the recruiting during the off season. Speaking of recruiting, our current targets we already have note of going in:</p><p> </p><p> WR H. Olsen is playing for Big Rapids (3) competitive level school in Michigan. So far he’s racked up 42 receptions, for 637 yards, 7 touchdowns, and 12 pass deflections on defense. He’s very interested in our school.</p><p> </p><p> WR S. Rosado is playing for Kingstree (3) in South Carolina. He has 40 receptions, for 520 yards, 5 touchdowns, 12 pass deflections and 1 interception on defense. He’s extremely interested in coming to our school.</p><p> </p><p> OLB S. Livingston is playing for St. Thomas Aquinas (1) in Florida. He has 48 tackles, 4 sacks, 4 tackles for loss, 332 rushing yards, and he’s averaging 3.7 yards per carry. He’s extremely interested in coming to our school.</p><p> </p><p> OG D. Benoit is playing for Chapman (3) in South Carolina. He has no stats available, but he is 6’6, 265 lbs and he’s extremely interested in playing for us.</p><p> </p><p> SS Daniel Chow is playing for Lakeside Highschool (4) in Idaho. He has 38 tackles, 0 pass deflections, and 3 interceptions. He’s extremely interested in playing for us.</p><p> </p><p> So 2 wide outs, an outside line backer, offensive guard, and a strong safety all who we believe could benefit our program to some degree. Time to get the recruiting window underway…</p><p> </p></div><p></p><p></p>

Archived