WCW:2000 New Era? Or Death Of A Global Power!

Offices of Ted Turner and Turner Broadcasting

Vince Russo and his creative team walk into the office of Ted Turner at 8:52pm on January 1st 2000.Along with Russo, Ed Ferrara, Gean Okerlund, Arn Anderson, Ric Flair and a few office executives sit around the long oak table as Ted Turner sips his coffee and begins to speak.

Turner: "Alright gentleman here's the deal and I'm gonna put it bluntly, we screwed up."

Russo: "What are you talking about Mr. Turner?"

Turner: "What I'm trying to say is, looking at the finances, along with buy rates for pay per views and contracts for some of the stars we are drowning in debt."

Flair: "I knew it, I ****ing knew it, sorry for my language but I seen this coming, I knew it was coming."

Russo: "What do you mean you knew this was coming? Get outta here you had no idea Flair, you were too busy picking up your paycheck."

Flair: "You know what Russo? You're trash, you wanted to come in here and pretend like you built the WWF and look where it got us! Week after week we get worse and worse in every single aspect. I wouldn't be surprised if you put the title on an actor or comedian cause you're making our business a joke."

Russo: "I'm tired of this, I'm tired of the bull I have to put up with everyday 'cause you sons of bitches don't trust me!"

Okerlund: "May I just say Ted Turner, that this is exactly what I have been telling you, the professionalism in the locker room in the front office is deplorable. I think we all need to come to an understanding that this place has become a toilet."

Turner: "I was thinking the same thing, Eric Bischoff believe it or not did more for this company than any other promoter for the past ten years. I have to believe bringing him back is a smart idea."

Flair: "That's a terrible idea, yeah he got ratings up, he brought in money because of the nWo gimmick but let's not by pass the fact that those million dollar salaries are all nWo guys and all those salaries were given out by Bischoff."

Turner: "Well I for one sanctioned all of those contracts and I don't care about that as long as we make a profit from it."

Anderson: "Yes that's true but you gotta understand what's going on behind the scenes Mr. Turner. Fact is that they all have creative control clauses."

In the background Russo whispers to Anderson to shut up. But Anderson grits his teeth and continues talking.

Anderson: "If we continue to give big salaries and creative control we will ultimately be losing on many different levels."

Turner: "What are creative control clauses?"

Russo shakes his head and Ed Ferrara tries to step in.

Ferrara: "Those are perks given to stars that we trust in the building of the characters."

Anderson: "And what he really means is that creative control is basically a way for stars to keep themselves on top no matter what anyone in creative says."

Turner: "That sounds like a bad thing?"

Flair: "Because it is."

Russo: "You have a creative control clause!"

Flair: "When's the last time I've used it?"

Turner: "Gentlemen, gentlemen please enough. Look I love wreaslin, I have for years and that won't change. But the thing is AOL is very interested in this company, and aren't interested in wrestling. So what I am begging for you to do is to turn this ship around. I don't know how long it will be before AOL takes over and I don't wanna see WCW shut down."

Silence fills the room before Russo speaks.

Russo: "I totally agree, what do you suggest?"

Okerlund: "No no no no no, don't let Russo anywhere near the production of television unless he has a filter."

Russo: "What are you talking about?"

Flair: "Please, Oklahoma??? And you wonder why we don't want you on production? You're a disgrace! Mr. Turner please, I know you have not been keen on the idea of anyone being a wrestler booking the shows but please, all of us are capable of turning this ship in the right direction. Give us the chance to show you, even if it's a few months, let any of us here run this company. For god sake **** Vince Russo."

Ted Turner thinks about it for a second and Russo sits there whispering to Ferrara completely furious. He thinks back to Eric Bischoff and the first time they declared war on WCW. Those days are long gone and times have changed.

Ted Turner: (Pointing at a man in the room) "Alright, I'm trusting you to run this company. To be the reason we get back on track and turn what I know is a great company around. Along with everyone in this room you will work with them. You will hire whomever you need to hire, and frankly fire who needs to be fired. I'm giving you permission to get rid of creative control clauses wherever you can, and do whatever you can to make a profit every month. I'm putting my last bit of investments into your hands, and even though I believe Eric Bischoff should be brought back I leave it to you to make this company as good as it was two years ago. Can you do it?"

Everyone excluding Ed Ferrara and Vince Russo clap loudly as the person Ted Turner points to stands up and shakes his hand and with a classic WOO! He says...

Flair: "Yes."

And with that let WCW vs nWo 2000 begin.

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;">The Diary of Ric Flair</span></span></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p>

</p><p><span style="font-family:Garamond;"><span style="font-size:12px;"></span></span></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;">In the few short weeks that followed WCW's office was cluttered with Russo messages talking about an assortment of things, mostly not to fire himself or Ed Ferrara. I thought that could wait. The most important thing on my mind was the WCW title, at Starcade Bret Hart was accidentally kicked in the head by Goldberg. It's said that Bret Hart suffered a concussion and I haven't gotten word yet that Bret Hart is able to wrestle. On the plus side the WCW office was buzzing as all the new changes were being made. First I stripped Madusa of the Cruiserweight title, I felt no reason to piss on that title anymore so I fired her as well. I also felt the best way to get out of having to finish an Oklahoma storyline, and give me great pleasure I proudly fired Ed Ferrara. It may piss off Vince but I'm willing to deal with that later down the line. I released many others that were costing us far too much money. Then I had to sit down with a Scott Hall, Kevin Nash and reconstructed a few perks in their contracts. They weren't happy and I couldn't drop their salaries at all but at least it's a start. Finally to report a number on injuries, Hulk Hogan is taking time off till about February, Sting and Curt Hennig are taking time off until March and April it seems. Goldberg well, he broke his wrist and is out until he returns in the middle of this year. So top stars are right now inactive. nWo 2000 is all I have to really go on in terms of heat. to combat that myself, Chris Benoit, DDP, Booker T, Stevie Ray and a few others will be in a few stories with the nWo till more stars can return. I'm thinking once Hogan returns a big story can open up with the new nWo and Hogan. That will most likely bring in viewers. Until then I have my first show on paper. I'm just waiting for the word with Bret in order to move on the card.</div></div></div><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#0000FF;">WCW MONDAY NITRO JANUARY 3RD, 2000</span></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#0000FF;">Chris Benoit</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> vs </span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#FF0000;">Meng</span></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#FF0000;">Dustin Rhodes</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> vs </span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#0000FF;">Rick Steiner</span></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#0000FF;">Konnan</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> vs </span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#FF0000;">Dean Malenko</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> For Qualification into the TV Title match</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#FF0000;">Scott Hall</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> vs </span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#0000FF;">Booker T</span></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#0000FF;">The Filthy Animals (Rey and Kidman)</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> vs </span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#FF0000;">Creative Control (Gerald and Patrick)</span></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#0000FF;">Juventud Guerrera</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> vs </span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#FF0000;">Steven Regal</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> Qualifying match</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;">

Main Event </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;">

</span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#FF0000;">Bret Hart</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> vs </span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#0000FF;">Ric Flair</span></span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> </span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;">

Heels - </span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#FF0000;">Red</span></span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"> Faces - </span></span><span style="font-family:Fixedsys;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="color:#0000FF;">Blue</span></span></span></p></div><p></p>

Archived