Buttons don't work

All right, so... I load the game. Start a new game, enter my name, press enter. The attributes come up. But it doesn't show how many points I have to spend, pressing the + (or -) button does nothing, and there's no button to continue either. I'm running Windows 8, and have tried running the game as an administrator and in various compatibility modes. What gives?

It's a standard video card -- Nvidia 650-660, something like that. And I'm not running anything in particular in the background -- Chrome, Spotify, a couple instant messengers.

I had similar issues with Arcadia -- half of the text notices just not showing up. But that one was at least semi-playable.

Ah, and it's working now. Weird. Maybe just needed to restart after installation or something? Will follow up if I have any other problems.

Yep, this seems to be the fix for this rare issue of text not appearing in the boxes, just rebooting fixes it. Worked for someone in another forum today as well. Must have something to do with Win 8 and registering fonts or something. Of course a number of games recommend rebooting after install, now that I think of it.

Archived