Darryl Devine: Devine Decade

January 2014

A phonecall between Darryl Devine and Jacob Jett

"I'm p**sed J....I'm going nowhere in this damn company."

"Darryl...we've been having this discussion bout USPW for over a year man. You won't leave and try and set up on your own, you won't go anywhere else...what do you want me to say?"

"Tell me it will work out."

"No, cos it probably won't! Look, you're a good wrestler...you just need to get your confidence back after that knee injury-"

"-Yeah."

"-and...you need the old, mean attitude back. You were a swaggering, don't give a f**k, son of a gun all those years ago...now you look half assed."

"What are you saying?"

"Do what you would have done all them years ago...get hammered, stagger down to USPW headquarters and kick some ass!"

"Ok...what about Alanis?"

"What about her? If she doesn't want to manage you, then screw her! What happened to the guy who once challenged an entire hockey team to a fight?"

"Said hockey team kicked his ass."

"Yeah, but you won their respect."

"After I cleaned a lot of blood off myself."

"Wasn't all yours though."

"No - that goaltender went down damn easily."

"He sure did...look, this isn't the point. Point is...you must have a goal you want to achieve."

"Yeah."

"That was your prompt....to explain it to me?"

"I want to be a World Champion."

"Why can't you? You only get one shot Devine."

"I've missed the boat J-"

"Bulls**t - you're thirty man, you got a lot of wrestling left!"

"Doc reckons I'll get ten years at best, wrecked my knees. Don't wanna be wrestling in my mid forties either..."

"Then don't. Look, write a list of things you want to achieve down and the time it'll take you to do it in."

"I can't hold the phone and write-"

"When we've finished talking, clownshoes."

"Sorry-"

"Don't apologise...old Devine woulda asked me if my mother was free tonight-"

"Is she?"

"Now you're getting it. Get that attitude back. Tell me, you got a goal in mind?"

"Yes - I want to win a world title in the next ten years."

"Wow, ok that's pretty decisive-"

"Well, I always wanted to be world champ and I've got ten years left before my knees implode. Makes sense when you break it down."

"It does...ok, how you gonna start achieving that?"

"By going back to basics...the Devine way...."

<p>Consider this an alternative reality to my Darryl Devine EPW diaries, one where he decides to stay in USPW and try and get to the main events.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/DevinestatsJan2014_zps766fd965.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Here are Devine's stats - pretty decent. Moves wise, I see him as a Chris Jericho style wrestler, someone who uses high flying moves, but is pretty well rounded.</p><p> </p><p>

Anyway, let's see what Devine meant by 'back to basics.'</p>

<p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">January 2014</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">

A sit down interview with USPW.com and Darryl Devine</span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><em>(We see an interviewer and Darryl Devine at a desk at USPW.com HQ)</em></span></p><p> </p><p>

<span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#0000FF;">"So Darryl, thanks for coming to this interview!"</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">"I had no choice...I'm forced to come to these stupid things."</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#0000FF;">"Erm...ok. Bad day?"</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">"Bad year, junior. Any more clever comments and I'll drop you"</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#0000FF;">"I'm sorry if I've offended you, Darryl-"</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">"-Mr Devine to you. Look, I'm not sticking around to explain simple things to you, simpleton. I'm sick of these interviews, fans getting in my face-"</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#0000FF;">"-these fans support you Dar-...Mr Devine."</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">"Then, by the look of it, they haven't been supporting me enough...because I should be a lot higher up the pecking order here."</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#0000FF;">

"I think you're being unfair-"</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">"I think you're being a whiny little b*ch. I'm gonna support myself from now on - these USPW fans can kiss my ass."</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">

</span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><em>(Devine storms off set, leaving the interviewer speechless.)</em></span></p>

<p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">January 2014 - Keeping Busy</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">January Week 1</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> USPW American Wrestling</span></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/USPW_zps0b22ce52.jpg</span></p><p> </p><p> </p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38004" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/DarrylDevine_zps2fbf155a.jpg</span> <span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">VS</span> <span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/CharlieThatcher_zps34c66d8d.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>Darryl Devine vs Charlie Thatcher</strong></span></p></div><p></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">A fairly even clash of styles here - Thatcher tries to brawl, while Devine picks his spots.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Devine steps it up though - two DDTs floor Thatcher. Devine then hooks in a Scorpion Deathlock variation where he plants his knee right into Thatcher's kidney...the big man taps...</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Winner - Darryl Devine @ 14:22 (Modified Scorpion Deathlock)</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Match Rating </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>***</strong></span></p></div><p></p></div></blockquote>

<p><span style="font-family:'Courier New';">January 2014 - Keeping Busy</span></p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">January Week 2</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> USPW American Wrestling</span></p><p> </p><p> <span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/USPW_zps0b22ce52.jpg</span></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> <span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><em>Pre match, we get an insert promo from Darryl Devine.</em></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>Devine:</strong></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">"You saw what I did last week to Charlie Thatcher - I tapped him out. That move you saw...I call it the Devine Right. That's the move that's gonna take me to the top, where I belong!"</span></span></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38004" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/DarrylDevine_zps2fbf155a.jpg</span> <span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">VS</span> <span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/RunningWolf_zps7c3c2aca.jpg</span><p> </p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>Darryl Devine vs Running Wolf</strong></span></p></div><p></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">Devine may be the more seasoned wrestler, but Running Wolf gets an A+ for toughness. Constantly thrwarting Devine's attempts to end the match early, the big man goes about his business regardless of Devine's offence. Chop, jab, headbutt, repeat.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Devine gets frustrated as he beats Running Wolf down - the crowd start to get on his back as Running Wolf takes control, blocking numerous Devine Dream Drop attempts. A Devine Intervention/Devine Right combination nearly ends the match, but Running Wolf breaks the hold.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Running Wolf then sends Devine to the corner turnbuckle, over the ropes and to the apron. A slingshot brings Devine back into the ring and allows a Running Wolf headbutt to the groin...Baby Jamie threatens Running Wolf with a DQ, giving Devine the opportunity he needed to recover. Evading a theatrical elbow drop, 'Mighty Fine' is able to quickly apply the Devine Right and score the submission.</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Winner - Darryl Devine @ 17:19 (Devine Right)</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Match Rating </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>**</strong></span></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote>

• 5 weeks later...
<p>January 2014 - Keeping busy</p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">January Week 3</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> USPW American Wrestling</span></p></div><p></p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/USPW_zps0b22ce52.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38004" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/DarrylDevine_zps2fbf155a.jpg</span> <span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">VS </span><span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/EddieHoward_zps4fbb3dd7.jpg</span><p> </p><p> <span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>Darryl Devine vs Eddie Howard</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Howard is all clumsy power and Devine out moves him...until Howard intercepts a top rope cross body and slams Devine in a sit out spinebuster!</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> It's back and forth from there – both men trade offence. Howard blocks a springboard clothesline with a punch...but misses an over the rope clothesline! Devine quickly hits a confused Howard with a Devine Dream Drop for the win!</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Winner - Darryl Devine @ 12:30 (Devine Dream Drop)</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Match Rating **</span></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote>

<p>January 2014 - Keeping busy</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">January Week 4</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> USPW American Wrestling</span></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/USPW_zps0b22ce52.jpg</span></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>Insert Interviews</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>Darryl Devine</strong></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">: </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#008000;">"Rayne, last week I dominated Eddie Howard. Tonight, I do the same to you."</span></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>DC Rayne:</strong></span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><span style="color:#800080;">“Devine, ya might of survived one half of the Natural Storm...but just cos ya misses the Lighting, don't mean the Thunder won't get ya!”</span></span></p></div><p></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38004" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/DarrylDevine_zps2fbf155a.jpg</span> <span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';">VS</span> <span>http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/DCRayne_zps516edee6.jpg</span><p> </p><p> <span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"><strong>Darryl Devine vs D.C. Rayne</strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Rayne approaches this differently than Howard – his offence is methodical and he wears Devine down with repeated Single Leg Boston Crabs. A mounted punch Flurry sees Devine busted out after 5 mins</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Devine hangs in there, avoiding impact moves and countering with strikes but it's not until Rayne misses a leaping elbow drop that he's able to take advantage with the Devine Right...Rayne has no choice but to tap...</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> </span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Winner - Darryl Devine @14:26 (Devine Right)</span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Franklin Gothic Medium';"> Match Rating ****</span></p></div><p></p><p></p></div></blockquote>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

February 2014

"I like it D, over the past month you've looked like the swaggering savage of old."

"Thanks - I've felt like it. Your advice was pretty good. Shame you're too ugly to be on TV."

"Well, that's not what your mother says."

"She doesn't own a TV so why would she care?"

"Well played Devine...you really are back."

"I am...guess who else is back?"

"Lt. Bash Holtz?"

"No...and seriously, stop watching bad Sam Strong films."

"No. Who's back D?"

"Alanis. She saw the new Devine...she liked what she saw, you know what I mean?"

"How many times did you call her?"

"I lost count. Had to get a new battery for my phone."

"I see...least you played it cool, Romeo."

"Shut up J...any way, I best go...got a long month ahead."

"What you up to?"

"That punk DC Rayne got his panties in a twist after I beat him last month, wants to take me on every week...I'm gonna beat him down until he gets the message - he ain't in Mighty Fine's league."

"Damn straight."

February 2014 - Heated Rivalry

February Week 1

USPW American Wrestling

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/USPW_zps027d0125.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/DarrylDevine_zps2fbf155a.jpg VS http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/DCRayne_zps516edee6.jpg

Darryl Devine vs D.C. Rayne

Devine controls the match from the bell, until a premature attempt of the Devine Right submission hold fires up Rayne. Battered and bruised, Rayne uses his amateur background to wear Devine down and make a comeback.

Looking to complete the big comeback win,Rayne hauls Devine up for a massive Western Brainbuster Suplex. Devine is able to adjust his body weight so he lands on Rayne - big nearfall! A disorientated Rayne stumbles to his feet, giving Devine the chance to hit an enziguri...followed by a Devine Dream Drop! 1-2-3!

Winner - Darryl Devine @ 13:36 (Devine Dream Drop)

Match Rating **

February Week 2

USPW American Wrestling

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/DarrylDevine_zps2fbf155a.jpg VS http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t495/Occasional_Z/WS3/DCRayne_zps516edee6.jpg

The two rivals start in a cagey fashion and it's fairly even, until Devine tries for a second Devine Intervention in quick succession and gets swatted out of the sky by a flurry of Rayne punches. Rayne then takes control, using his fists and knees to pummel Devine on the mat.

Forced on to the defensive, Devine tries for high risk moves to turn the tide...a strategy that is abandoned when Rayne counters Devine Intervention with an impressive spinebuster. Rayne builds himself up to finish the match, howver Devine escapes the Twisting Facecrusher and is able to fall on top of Rayne to counter his Western Brainbuster Suplex for a second week in a row.

Rayne is deflated by Devine's resistance and struggles to finish Devine off...a short arm knee lift, a set up for another Western Brainbuster Suplex, is countered by Devine charging into Rayne and snapping off a quick DDT. Holding his back and seeing a chance to win the match, Devine goes for broke - a vicious dropkick to a seated Rayne's lower back is followed by the Devine Right! Rayne, winded from the dropkick, taps out to give Devine a hard fought win!

Winner - Darryl Devine @ 13:53 (Devine Right)

Match Rating ****

February Week 3

USPW American Wrestling

Pre match promo

D.C. Rayne: "Last week, Devine, we tore this building down. You took my best shots and kept coming...I gotta say that I respect you for putting up a fight.

But I know I'm the better man. You had to claw and cling on to survive last week. This week, you won't be able to scrap a victory...can you hear the Storm coming?"

Devine carries on where he left off last match, attacking the lower back of D.C. Rayne with dropkicks and soccer kicks to set up the Devine Right. Rayne tries to slow down Devine with wrestling, but Devine is able to stay in control of Rayne.

However, Devine can't hit the Devine Dream Drop - Rayne has watched tapes of the last two matches and escapes every attempt Devine makes at executing his patented move. This forces Devine to open his playbook - a beautiful missile dropkick gets a close near fall - while Rayne tries to use his wrestling skills to get back into the match. It's effective, until Rayne rashly tries to stomp on Devine's head - Devine is able to avoid the series of stomps and hit a sneaky dropkick to Rayne's knee. Rayne is staggered, which finally presents Devine with an opening for the Devine Dream Drop 1-2-3!

Winner - Darryl Devine @ 16:58 (Devine Dream Drop)

Match Rating **

February Week 4

USPW American Wrestling

Submission Match

It's a slow start to this all or nothing bout, with Rayne looking to work a Top Wrist Lock and Devine looking to use defensive strikes to create some space in the ring. Devine wins out and is able to work over Rayne slowly with kicks to the thigh and the gut. The slow pace allows Devine to control Rayne and he is able to draw blood from Rayne's nose with Devine Intervention.

Devine's tactics begin to make sense - he was looking to slow Rayne down, wear him out then attempt to force a submission. Devine tries to capitalise with repeated Boston Crab attempts, but Rayne survives. However, Devine is firmly on top of the match and keeps picking at the demoralised Rayne - three seated dropkicks and a Devine Dream Drop leave Rayne face down on the mat.

It's a matter of time before Devine forces the submission from Rayne and it finally comes when Rayne, on a rare offensive break, attempts a measured kneedrop; Devine evades the strike, then slaps on the Devine Right for the submission win to end this one sided feud.

Winner - Darryl Devine @ 12:51 (Devine Right)

Match Rating **

March 2014

"Hi D, how's tricks? How's USPW treating ya?"

"Not good J."

"Hey, why not? You kicked Rayne's ass, like, four weeks in a row!"

"Yeah, but now he's obsessed with me, he wants to fight me again."

"Seriously? Last time I saw him, he was being helped to the back after you twisted him like a pretzel!"

"I know, thought it was pretty decisive myself. Still, if USPW want to pay me money to beat him up, I ain't complaining-"

"-dude, you are so much better than him."

"I know...I'm just going to have to beat it into him..."

Archived