Ring of Honor 2006

ROH Newswire September 16, 2006

BREAKING NEWS

Glory By Honor V has just ended a few hours ago and we have some very regrettable news coming out of the event. Chris Hero has sustained a Torn Rotator Cuff at the hands of Samoa Joe and the Muscle Buster! Word right now is that the ROH World Tag Team champion could be out for roughly a year, but he will be seeing a doctor in the coming days to evaluate his condition. We don’t know much at this time but we will make sure to update all of you on his condition. But as of now, Hero will be out for about a year.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ROH Newswire September 19, 2006

So as we let all of you know a couple of days ago, Chris Hero has sustained a Torn Rotator Cuff during his match with Samoa Joe in their Steel Cage Match at Glory By Honor V. When we initially reported, Hero was to be out for around a year. But after a successful surgery, Chris Hero’s layoff will be about 3 months. That all being said, all of us at ROH are not sure we can have three months of shows without the World Tag Team titles being defended. There is the possibility of the tag team titles being vacated and held in a tournament but we will cross that bridge in a couple of days.

With all of that being said, Glory By Honor V was a great evening with even better action. And one of the biggest pieces of news coming from the event, Low Ki will no longer be competing in Ring of Honor following his defeat to Homicide. Despite not being one of the more honorable men in recent years in ROH, Low Ki’s presence will be sorely missed. He is an amazing competitor and will always be remembered as the first ROH Champion and one of the men who helped put Ring of Honor on the map in those first few events in our history. Thank you Low Ki.

On tomorrow’s newswire we will let all of you know our decision on the ROH World Tag Team Championship and start to build the cards for the upcoming double shot in Cleveland, OH and Detroit, MI! And we can already tell you that new signings Charlie Haas and Robert Roode will be in action on both of those shows.

Ask the Fans!

What do you, the Ring of Honor fans, think should be done with the Ring of Honor World Tag Team Championship?

ROH Newswire September 21, 2006

Well Cleveland, OH we hope you are ready because you will see the crowning of NEW Ring of Honor World Tag Team Champions! Chris Hero suffered a Torn Rotator Cuff at Glory By Honor V during his match with Samoa Joe. He will be out for three months and we at Ring of Honor wish him a speedy recovery….

But his unfortunate injury means we will have a one night 8 team tournament to crown new tag team champions! And we can officially announce all 8 teams who will be participating, and the format that we will be using for the tournament. One man has insisted that he wants to continue to prove that he is the ‘Best in the World’ and ROH World Champion Bryan Danielson has selected ROH Pure Wrestling Champion Alex Shelley as his partner. They should be a very intriguing tag team and could possibly go far in this tournament.

Round 1

1. Jay and Mark Briscoe vs Kevin Steen and The Necro Butcher

2. Colt Cabana and Ace Steel vs Jimmy Rave and Jimmy Jacobs

3. Austin Aries and Roderick Strong vs Irish Airborne

4. Bryan Danielson and Alex Shelley vs Davey Richards and Taiji Ishimori

The semi-finals and finals will be continued on the same night with the winners of Match #1 facing the winners of Match #4 and that means the winners of Match #2 will face the winners of match #3. We will see a very interesting tournament this weekend and we all look forward to seeing who will be crowned as the NEW World Tag Team Champions!

Phew…now that we have the tournament finalized, we still have a full card for the fans, and 9 mathes in total. So with the tag title tournament taking a total of 7 matches, we have tried to jam pack as many wrestlers on this card as we could and we did it the best way possible. A huge star studded Four Corner Survival will take place this weekend in Cleveland. Christopher Daniels, Charlie Haas, Homicide and Claudio Castagnolli will all be in the ring at the same time, with this match having possible World Title implications in the coming weeks.

And as we announced a couple of days ago, Robert Roode will be on the card this weekend and he will have possibly the biggest task of everyone on the card when he takes on Samoa Joe! Joe is fresh off of his win over Chris Hero (and we all saw how that went for Hero) and he is looking to continue his winning ways as he looks to get back into World Title contention. After his loss at Glory By Honor V, Robert Roode will be looking to get a huge win in only his second match with the company.

We look forward to seeing you all there in Cleveland, bell time is at 7:00 pm so DON’T BE LATE! We will be back with the card for the second night of our double shot…and we can leak and let you know that Austin Aries will be receiving a World Title shot!

Full Card for Up For Grabs

ROH World Tag Team Title Tournament Round 1

Jay and Mark Briscoe vs Kevin Steen and The Necro Butcher

Colt Cabana and Ace Steel vs Jimmy Rave and Jimmy Jacobs

Austin Aries and Roderick Strong vs Irish Airborne

Bryan Danielson and Alex Shelley vs Davey Richards and Taiji Ishimori

Four Corner Survival

Christopher Daniels vs Homicide vs Charlie Haas vs Claudio Castagnolli

Samoa Joe vs Robert Roode

Plus the Semi-Finals and Finals of the World Tag Team Title Tournament!

Ask the Fans!

Who will win the World Tag Team Championship?

And, who do you think will be the big shock of the first round?

Four Corner Survival

Who will win the World Tag Team Championship? The Briscoes

And, who do you think will be the big shock of the first round? Danielson and Shelley losing, although I could potentially see Irish Airborne beating Aries & Strong.

Four Corner Survival

Who will win the World Tag Team Championship? The Briscoes

And, who do you think will be the big shock of the first round? Bryan Danielson and Alex Shelley. I see a one on one match-up between Danielson and Shelley!

Hey guys, I am so sorry for the lack of updates. It has been a very rough week for me. I have moved back to my home state and this past week has been so damn stressful for me :confused: So....I am gonna do what I did a couple of shows back and post the results for the show. I really am sorry for this but it has been a very long a stressful and honestly a tearfilled week. So here are the results from Up For Grabs. I will get a Newswire up for the next show sometime tomorrow.

ROH World Tag Title Tournament

Jay and Mark Briscoe def. Kevin Steen and The Necro Butcher

Jimmy Jacobs and Jimmy Rave def. Colt Cabana and Ace Steel

Austin Aries and Roderick Strong def. The Irish Airborne

Davey Richards and Taiji Ishimori def. Bryan Danielson and Alex Shelley

Charlie Haas won a Four Corner Survival by submitting Claudio Castagnolli

ROH World Tag Title Tournament

Jay and Mark Briscoe def. Davey Richards and Taiji Ishimori

Jimmy Jacobs and Jimmy Rave def. Austin Aries and Roderick Strong

Samoa Joe def. Robert Roode

ROH World Tag Title Tournament Finals

Jay and Mark Briscoe def. Jimmy Jacobs and Jimmy Rave to WIN the Ring of Honor World Tag Team Championship!

Tomorrow's show is World Title Classic II! I will have the newswire up tomorrow gentleman. This was just a weird write-up for me and I was having a hard time with all of the tag matches (coupled with being thrown out by my wife and not seeing my daughter for nearly a month and wont see her until Thanksgiving and going through a horrid depression). But we will get there guys. Thanks for the support and continuing to follow this.

ROH Newswire October 7, 2006

We have NEW Ring of Honor World Tag Team Champions and for the third time in their careers, Jay and Mark Briscoe are the top tag team in this company. All of the ROH officials would like to congratulate them on their accomplishment…but there is no rest for the champions! Their first defense of the World Tag Team Title will be in an Ultimate Endurance Match. They will be challenged by The Irish Airborne, Kevin Steen and The Necro Butcher, and Jimmy Jacobs and Adam Pearce. If Jay and Mark are going to prove that they are going to be worthy champions once more, then this will be the best way possible.

Bryan Danielson will be defending the ROH World Championship against the #1 Contender for the title Austin Aries. The two have had an hour long draw back at The Clash and a great Iron Man Match at Testing The Limit II and Austin Aries won the latter of those two matches. This will be Austin Aries’ final shot at the World Title as long as Bryan Danielson is World Champion, and there MUST BE A WINNER! Will Austin Aries become the first 2-time World Champion? Or will Bryan Danielson continue his impressive reign as champion?

Homicide is looking to become a champion here in 2006 and ROH officials all agree that we would like to see the ‘Notorious 187’ get some gold around his waist and he will have another opportunity when he challenges the reigning Pure Wrestling Champion. Alex Shelley has been a great Pure Champion and has learned to adapt his style of wrestling to become a great Pure Champion in ROH. But Homicide will be a tough task for him, and could prove to be one of his biggest challenges yet as champion.

We are proud to announce that Doug Williams will be returning to ROH, not for a couple of shows, but an extended stay with the company. There was one man that we thought would be perfect to wrestle Williams on his return and that man is someone that Williams has had many great matches with in the past, Christopher Daniels! A lot has changed since their last match, and one of those things is Christopher Daniels shaking hands! It should be one hell of a match this weekend and know that both men will be able to produce an amazing match.

Claudio Castagnolli has challenged Charlie Haas to a match after Haas made him tap ou to the Haas of Pain last night in Cleveland. Will lightning strike twice, or will Castagnolli be able to get revenge?

Colt Cabana is looking to get a little revenge on Lacey’s Angels and will get that opportunity when he faces Jimmy Rave in a No DQ Match! Cabana has told Rave to bring his leather strap and meet him in the ring.

Robert Roode is still looking for his first win with the company and will be facing one-on-one with Ace Steel! Roode is looking for that one win to ignite his career, and that could be this weekend.

• One more match that has been signed is a very interesting traditional Ring of Honor Triple Threat Match. Samoa Joe will be involved in a very hard hitting strong style match against Davey Richards and Taiji Ishimori!

It promises to be a great finale to the weekend along with 3 huge title matches that could possibly change the landscape of the company…along with an undercard that has many matches that could very easily main event so many matches in other promotions.

Full card for World Title Classic II

Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Championship Match

Bryan Danielson© vs Austin Aries

Davey Richards vs Taiji Ishimori vs Samoa Joe

Ultimate Endurance Match for the Ring of Honor World Tag Team Championship

Jay and Mark Briscoe© vs Irish Airborne vs Kevin Steen and Necro Butcher vs Jimmy Jacobs and Adam Pearce

Charlie Haas vs Claudio Castagnolli

Christopher Daniels vs Doug Williams

Robert Roode vs Ace Steel

No DQ

Colt Cabana vs Jimmy Rave

Ring of Honor Pure Wrestling Championship Match

Alex Shelley© vs Homicide

I'm sorry to hear that Jeff, I can't even imagine what you're going through. There's nothing to apologise for, your personal life is far more important than diary write-ups.

- - - - -

Full card for World Title Classic II

It's time.

Jay and Mark Briscoe© vs Irish Airborne vs Kevin Steen and Necro Butcher vs Jimmy Jacobs and Adam Pearce

No DQ

World Title Classic II

Bryan Danielson© vs Austin Aries - Draw

No DQ

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx157/tcox88/ROH1.jpg

World Title Classic II

Detroit, MI

October 7, 2006

Austin Aries is in the back, trying to keep himself psyched up for his massive World Title match in the main event tonight. He takes a long, deep breath before speaking.

Aries – “I made a name for myself in Ring of Honor by having matches against Bryan Danielson and Samoa Joe. I had my chin split open by Bryan Danielson two years ago at Survival of the Fittest, and then we went and wrestled for 75 minutes in a 2 out of 3 falls match, a match that I hold in the highest regards for how important it was in my career. Since that time, titles have come and gone in my career, and now the World Championship is around the waist of you ‘American Dragon’. You beat me last year in your first title defense…fine. But the way our match finished back at ‘The Clash’ has made me want to take that title back from you. And I have proved that I can pin you for a 3 count, hell, I’ve done it twice this year alone. So now it is my time once more. Tonight, I will become the only two-time Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Champion.”

Ace Steel vs Robert Roode

Falling 0-2 in his first matches in Ring of Honor was not the impact that Robert Roode was looking to make when he signed his ROH contract. And that record looked like going to 0-3 when he stepped into the ring with the veteran of the sport in Ace Steel. It was a good way to open up the show and both men brought their ‘A’-game to the match. After Ace had begun to dominate the match, Robert got his second win and nearly took off the head of Ace with two massive lariats, very Stan Hansen style. Robert picked up the victory with a Payoff, to finally get himself a win in Ring of Honor.

Robert Roode wins by pinfall in 11:51

Davey Richards vs Samoa Joe vs Taiji Ishimori

Ring of Honor is known for its very entertaining triple threat matches, and this match did not let down the fans. Easily one of the match of the night contenders, all three men went out and gave their best. Having been teaming up recently, it was no surprise that Richards and Ishimori did their best to double team Joe and try to incapacitate the big Samoan and make him a non-factor in the match. Joe was able to exert himself into the match though, being the much bigger of the three men and used his hard strikes to knock his opponents back and show them who was the real big dog in the yard. Davey did look like he was going to win the match when he dropped his ‘partner’ with a DR-Driver, but when he went for the pin, Joe broke it up and a stiff kick to the side of the head. Davey got up and didn’t back down from the former World Champion and slapped him across the face. That single move proved to be the downfall for Davey, when Joe unloaded a devastating combination of forearms, knees, kicks, and strikes that not only bloodied the lip of Davey but nearly knocked him unconscious. Joe would put the young lion down with an emphatic Muscle Buster and get the three count that earned him another victory in ROH.

Samoa Joe wins by pinfall in 14:29

After his massive win against Low Ki at Glory By Honor, Homicide was looking to keep his momentum going, and become one of the most unorthodox champions in the history of the Pure Wrestling Title’s lineage. Everyone associated with ROH knows that Homicide can work a great technical match and he showed that to Alex Shelley, out wrestling the Pure Champion in the early goings of the match. Shelley was determined to prove to him that he was the champion and would not be outdone, but Homicide was not going to back down from the champ. They exchanged submission holds and gradually, they both saw their number of ropebreaks dwindle down until Homicide was out of ropebreaks and Shelley only had one remaining. Being smart about it, Shelley tried to keep himself away from any submission holds and away from the ropes so Homicide couldn’t lock him in a hold in the ropes. Shelley could sense that Homicide was growing in the match and slowly becoming the dominating force in the match. Shelley used this opportunity and punched with a closed fist, causing Todd Sinclair to give him a warning, and then Shelley did it a second time! Sinclair turned his back and went to the time keeper to let him know that Shelley was penalized his last rope break….but Shelley knew what he was doing the whole time. He swiftly field goal kicked Homicide in the groin and rolled him up. Sinclair turned around and counted 1…2…3!

Homicide was livid about what happened, and tried to explain to Sinclair what had happened. Homicide even pointed out that he was limping around and favoring his ‘manhood’, but Sinclair told him that since he didn’t see it, he couldn’t make the call. Before Homicide could leave the ring though, Rocky Romero and Ricky Reyes jumped guardrails and began to assault him! After a swift assault that saw them literally ‘kick the crap’ out of Homicide, they left him in the middle of the ring in a heap. Low Ki may not be in ROH anymore, but the Rottweilers were clearly not done with Homicide.

Alex Shelley wins by pinfall in 15:03 to retain the ROH Pure Wrestling Championship

No Disqualification Match

Jimmy came out to the ring by himself, leaving Lacey in the back…and Cabana came out to the ring with a leather strap in his hand and when he hit the ring, Rave quickly left the ring, afraid. He tried to wait until Colt would back away so he could get into the ring, so Colt met him on the floor. And when he did, he was met with whips and lashed from the leather strap across his bareback! Colt let out his anger and frustration from the last couple of weeks out on Jimmy Rave and would not let up for anything. Jimmy finally got into the ring and was begging for Colt to stop whipping him with the belt. The fans could see the red marks across Jimmy’s back and even small trickles of blood coming down his back. Colt hesitated for only a second and that’s all Jimmy needed to thumb Colt in the eyes and deliver a devastating low blow. Colt dropped the strap and Jimmy now used it to his advantage! Now it was Colt who was on the receiving end of whippings. Both men introduced various weapons into the match including a chair, a table, a trash can, and cake pan…but the one weapon that was used the most was that leather strap. It turned into a very bloody affair with Jimmy still bleeding from the back and Colt being spilt open across his forehead, thanks to the steel chair. Jimmy looked to win the match and set the table up, with having bad intentions. Colt gave Jimmy a taste of his own medicine and delivered to him a swift low blow, and the tide of the match changed. Colt put Jimmy on the top rope and pulled the table a little closer to the turnbuckle. Colt climbed up with him and delivered a sick Piledriver through the table from the second rope! He hooked Jimmy’s leg the best he could and got a small measure of revenge by getting the three count!

And while Colt may have won the battle, Lacey’s Angels ran down to the ring to make sure that he didn’t win the war. Jacobs, Pearce, and the Airborne all ran down to the ring and instantly put boots to Cabana, with Jimmy Jacobs calling all of the shots. Lacey ran down and checked on Rave while Jacobs delivered a brace of chair shots to Cabana and left him lying in the ring in a pool of his own blood. Jimmy smiled and looked over to see Lacey not paying attention to him and showing concercn for Jimmy Rave. Jacobs was confused and looked to Pearce and the Airborne for answers but all they could do was shrug. Lacey turned to them and told them to help Jimmy to the back.

DVD Exclusive

Jacobs – “Lacey baby, what was that all about? I was doing what you wanted and trying to end Colt Cabana and all you could worry about was Jimmy Rave? What the h*** Lacey? I thought we had something special!”

Lacey – “Listen Jimmy, this is the last d*** time I will tell you this. You and I, we are business partners. Lacey’s Angels is a business and you are MY employee. Your sole purpose is to do what I tell you in order to bring money into our business. I pay you, to beat the s*** out of people. And you are doing just that.” Lacey thought for a moment and a devilish smile came across her face. “Look Jimmy, you are my favorite Angel okay? You have been with me the longest and have been the one to prove your loyalty to me. I trust you to get stuff done for me. And you are right, you did exactly what I wanted from you, you are trying to take out Colt Cabana, and Delirious, and BJ Whitmer. That is what makes me happy, and if you want to make me happy, then keep destroying my enemies.” She walked up and kissed his cheek. Jimmy smiled, forgetting all about Jimmy Rave and have thoughts of love and lust swirl around his head.

Claudio was in a fighting mood after being made to submit the night before, and from the opening bell took the match to Haas. Charlie tried his best to cover up from the hard strikes and clubbing blows that Claudio sent his way but Claudio was too strong and in the beginning, it was all him. Haas did try to take the match to the ground and force Castagnolli to turn the match into a technical show, but once again, the strength of Claudio was coming into play and he would throw Haas around the ring. Haas did final take control of the match when he went after the legs of Castagnolli again and to try and get him to the mat so he can once more apply the Haas of Pain. Claudio’s power, in the end, was what helped him win the match. After a Big Swing, Claudio set him up for a Riccola Bomb. Haas blocked the first attempt, but after Claudio clubbed his back repeatedly, he lifted Haas up in the air and driving him back first into mat and covered him 1…2…3!

Claudio Castagnolli wins by pinfall in 13:37

Jay and Mark Briscoe© vs The Irish Airborne vs Jimmy Jacobs and Adam Pearce vs Kevin Steen and The Necro Butcher

Jay and Mark were willing to prove that they were going to bring honor to the tag team titles and were signed to defend the belts in one of the hardest matches for tag team champions in ROH. The first fall was a scramble match and all four teams made full use of the scramble rules with death defying dives to the outside and double team moves, most of them were centered on the Briscoes and trying to eliminate them early from the match. Jay and Mark were able to assert themselves into the match and were able to get an early elimination themselves by dropping the Necro Butcher with a Spike J-Driller and quickly get the Kingdom members out of the match. The second of the three falls was an Anything Goes Match and Dave and Jake took full advantage of the new of rules for this fall and attacked both Briscoes with chairs. Jimmy Jacobs and Adam Pearce got into the ring as well and the fall quickly became a four on two beatdown of the World Tag Team Champions! Jimmy orchestrated the attack and stood back, watching the other three try and take the belts for Lacey’s Angels. Jay and Mark did their best to fight back, but they weren’t able to full get into the match, until BJ Whitmer made a surprise return! He jumped the guard rail and pulled Jimmy out of the ring and soon, the two men were brawling all around the ringside area and back into the back. Adam was left all alone in the ring and was met by a Double Shoulder tackle by the champs. Jay took out both of the Airborne with Yakuza Kicks while Mark laid out Adam with a Cutthroat Suplex, and covered him to eliminate Jacobs and Pearce. The final fall was for the World Tag Titles. Dave and Jake took the match to Jay and Mark who were still reeling from the four on two assault in the previous fall. Paul Turner had no control at all over the match and all four men were in the ring teeing off on one another, trying to get the advantage for their team. With Jay incapacitated, the Airborne looked like they were going to win the match when they dropped Mark with an Irish Curse. They took their time before going for the cover and when they did, Jay jumped into the ring and broke up the pinfall. They turned their attention to Jay and went for an Irish Curse on him, but he slipped out of and shoved Dave into the corner, and sent Jake falling to the ground. Jay lifted Dave onto his shoulders and Mark came from the top rope and they delivered a Doomsday Device! Jay covered him and eliminated the Airborne, giving them a clean sweep and retaining the World Tag Titles.

Jay and Mark Briscoe won by being the last team standing in 20:11

Doug Williams vs Christopher Daniels

Four years ago these two had a great series of matches, with the big difference being Christopher Daniels ws trying to tear down the Code of Honor, but now Daniels was a different man and proved it to Williams by shaking his hand at the beginning of the match. What followed was a great 20 minute exhibition of two great workers who wanted nothing more than to put on a top notch wrestling match. Doug showed that he had grown as a wrestler during his time in Japan by using more strikes to try and take out Daniels, while Daniels used the junior style of wrestling to counter it. The both of them exchanged the advantage over the course of the match and Williams was shocked when he was able to hit Daniels with the Chaos Theory but was only able to get a two count out of the situation! Daniels fought back and was equally as shocked when Williams kicked out of the Last Rites! The crowd was on the edge of their seats were split down the middle for who they wanted to win the match. Daniels blocked another of Doug Williams’ attempt at the Chaos Theory and was able to reverse it into another Last Rites, but instead of going for the pin he locked him in the Koji Clutch right in the center of the ring! Doug tried to hold on as long as he could but he eventually succumbed to the hold and was forced to tap out.

Christopher Daniels won by submision in 19:47

The time had finally come for Austin Aries to get his World Title shot, and he wasted little time in taking full advantage of this opportunity. Aries did everything he could to try and out wrestle the World Champion and was doing it very well in the early goings. Danielson was on the back foot but did not let Aries get full control of the contest. Finally though, Aries was able to apply a headlock and dictate the pace of the match with that single hold. Danielson was frustrated and was not able to do much to get out of the headlock, and Aries was making it a very devastating hold in the beginning of the match. Once Danielson was able to get free of the hold, he and Aries were able to trade off back and forth wrestling holds and simply cancel each other out and neither man was able to gain an advantage. Dirty tactics were something that had Danielson had adopted into his repertoire as of late and a thumb to the eyes was utilized to stop the momentum of Aries and allow Danielson to finally get his first bit of control of the match. The two of these men knew each other so well in all of their various encounters in Ring of Honor and Danielson showed this by taking out the legs of Aries, trying to take away the Brainbuster and the 450 splash of his opponent. Danielson even used a page from the Lance Storm playbook and applied a Single Leg Boston Crab right in the middle of the ring. Aries began to crawl towards the ropes, but Danielson pulled him back into the middle of the ring. Danielson abandoned the crab and grabbed the leg of Aries. He lifted it in the air and drove his knee into the mat. Danielson wasn’t done and did it a second, and then a third, and then a fourth time and once more went back to the Single Leg Crab! Danielson wrenched back on his leg and tried to get Aries to tap out, but Aries was not giving in that easily. Danielson quickly transitioned it into a STF! Aries was too smart though and quickly gouged the eyes of Danielson, causing him to let go of the hold. Aries, despite what Danielson had done to his knee, fought back and was able to get his own advantage in the match. Roderick Strong made his way down to the ring and stood at ringside, cheering for his friend and former tag team partner Austin Aries. Aries was noticeably limping but the southpaw was not going to go down without a fight. Aries laid Danielson out a few times with three Roaring Elbows and went for the cover, only to get a two count on him. Aries was finally able to catch Danielson with a Brainbuster and beautifully transitioned it over into the devastating Horns of Aries submission hold! Aries wasn’t able to lock it in properly with all of the damage done to his knee…and that meant that the hold was not as effective as could have been and eventually Aries leg gave out on him and he let go of the hold. Both men got to the feet and Danielson ducked a Roaring Elbow attempt, only to catch another one from Aries and Danielson dropped to the mat. Aries dragged Danielson to the corner and hobbled up to the top rope. Aries was slow getting up there and could barely stand on the top. He came off, looking for the 450 Splash. He came down but instead of Danielson all he met was canvas. Aries got back to his feet, holding his ribs and limping. Danielson got up as well and chop blocked Aries on the leg that he had been working over. Danielson brought him into the middle of the ring and grabbed Aries leg. He let out a ‘woooo’ and went for a Figure Four Leg Lock. Danielson took too long and Aries quickly rolled him up for a pin attempt but Danielson was able to kick out at two. They both got back up and began to exchange right (and lefts from Aries) hands, and even delivered stiff forearms with one another. Aries went to kick Danielson, but Danielson caught it and delivered a Dragonscrew Leg Whip! Aries clutched at his leg as Danielson went for the Figure Four once more! Danielson wrapped up Aries’ leg and locked in the hold with him and Aries dead center of the ring! Aries was fighting for his wrestling life, not wanting to give into the hold. Aries tried to roll the move over, but Danielson kept him from doing so. Aries laid back and the ref counted 1…2…, but Aries got his shoulder up would not let himself to be pinned. Aries was FINALLY able to get the hold rolled over, but Danielson was too close to the ropes and reached out and caused the rope break. Danielson quickly got to his feet before Aries could and began to stomp away at the leg that he had been working over. He brought Aries back into the middle of the ring and once lifted his leg into the air and drove it into the mat. Danielson did this nearly half a dozen times before putting him back into the Figure Four! Aries shouted out in pain but was still not looking to give up the match and give into the pain. Aries sat up on his elbows, trying to defy the odds and Bryan Danielson, but before he could muster up any more strength, a white towel came into the ring from Roderick Strong on the outside. Todd Sinclair looked around confused and saw the towel. Danielson yelled at him to ring the bell and reluctantly he did so.

Aries was livid as the bell rang and Roderick entered into the ring. Danielson rolled out of the ring and snatched the World Title from the timekeepers table before Aries or Nigel could react to what had happened. Aries struggled to his feet and was confused about what had happened and looked at Roderick who stood in the ring with him. Aries hobbled over to him, trying to make out what had just transpired. The fans were booing and chanting Aries’ name. Austin tried to explain to Roderick that he wasn’t going to tap out and that Roderick had no right to through in the towel. Aries turned around and that is when the attack happened. Roderick darted towards him and grabbed him and delivered a Half Nelson Backbreaker! It didn’t stop there, and Roderick stomped away on the leg of Aries, continuing the assault where Danielson left off at. Nigel McGuiinness got into the ring and shoved Roderick away from Aries. Roderick grabbed a microphone and stood in the ring as the fans booed him.

Roderick – “How does it feel to be a singles wrestler Austin? Huh? How does it feel? YOU were the reason we lost the tag titles! YOU were the reason we got beat at Glory By Honor! YOU were the reason we lost last night in the tag title tournament. And what do you get? You get a f****** World Title shot the next show! Where was I? Never on the card! ROH officials in their infinite wisdom decided not to even grant me a match while you were given a World Title Shot? Well guess what Austin, now you won’t have me around to save your a** when it needs to be saved. You don’t have Matt or Jack, you made sure of that. Well now you are a singles wrestler and you will have to live the life of a singles wrestler. Enjoy being a loser Austin!”

Roderick dropped the mic and left the ring as Nigel stayed in and attended to Aries, who was clearly in some pain. The show closed with Aries staring at Roderick as he walked to the back with the rest of the ROH roster.

Quick Results

Robert Roode def. Ace Steel (B)

Samoa Joe won a Triple Threat Match (B)

Alex Shelley def. Homicide to retain the ROH Pure Wrestling Title (C+)

Colt Cabana def. Jimmy Rave (B-)

Claudio Castagnolli def. Charlie Haas (B)

Jay and Mark Briscoe won an Ultimate Endurance Match to retain the ROH World Tag Team Titles (B-)

Christopher Daniels def. Doug Williams (B-)

Bryan Danielson def. Austin Aries to retain the ROH World Title (B)

OOC: As I said, I am very happy with the ratings, and kind of surprised that Robert Roode and Ace Steel put on a B match. So Ive decided to give every match who hit the B rating as match of the night, with Roode and Steel really being the biggest surprise for me. I hope you all enjoyed, Survival of the Fittest is the next show.

Guest user name

Sounds like Aries vs Strong at Final Battle and the first feud heading into 2007. I'm not sure what you planned for Danielson and Shelley but by the way your booking both of them and the fact they lost in the tag tournament, I can see them engaging in a big feud soon to perhaps unify the World title and Pure title.

I really enjoy reading this diary, best one I've read on here by far imo. It truly feels like ROH style booking from that time period.

Are you be any chance considering doing a Top Prospect Tournament? I know it didn't technically start till like 2011 but in 2006 I believe you have young guys like Tyler Black, Jon Moxley and Ricochet just getting started. So to see 8 of the best young future stars in a tourney would definitely be awesome and cheap at that!

OOC: In game, Pro Wrestling Guerilla has gone out of business. Nothing too major, but thought I would let you all know. Christopher Daniels was their last PWG Champion, and Davey Richards and Super Dragon were the last PWG Tag Team Champions. AND Pro Wrestling Unplugged has decided that they are entering into a ‘hostile’ relationship. Is my soon to be ex running them? Haha yeah…well I thought it was funny 

I also wanted to thank Mootinie for the August DOTM Nomination. That really means a lot to me considering that this month has been an awful month for me personally. I will do my best not to let anyone who reads this down. Survival of the Fittest is our next big show as we move onto the end of the year and Final Battle!

ROH Newswire October 10, 2006

We all here involved with Ring of Honor believe that the one question on everyone’s mind is why did Roderick Strong cost Austin Aries his shot at the Ring of Honor World Championship? Well, if you were in attendance at the show Roderick made his point loud and clear. Not happy with Austin’s performances in recent tag team matches, Roderick felt that he was undeserving of a World Title shot…and it didn’t help that Roderick was left off of the World Title Classic II card. Well it is apparent now that the last remnants of what was Generation Next are now gone after Roderick’s actions. The two of them have been signed to a match but they will not be taking part in Survival of the Fittest action…

Roderick Strong will be teaming up with ROH World Champion Bryan Danielson and they wull be taking on the interesting tag team of Austin Aries and the returning to action Nigel McGuinness! It has been over 5 months since we have seen Nigel wrestling in an ROH ring, but he has been here every step of the way for the past 5 months and is ready to get back into the ring and the man he has his sights set on is Bryan Danielson. In fact, Nigel as put forth a challenge to the American Dragon for a World Title match on 11/4 in Philadelphia, a challenge that Dragon has yet to accept. We will give him a few more weeks before he MUST respond to the challenge.

As was mentioned a couple of shows ago BJ Whitmer will be making his return to ROH action and right away he has his sights set on the man who tried to take his ankle back at Honor Invades Japan, and that man is Jimmy Rave. Rave used a lead pipe to try and destroy the ankle of BJ and BJ has yet to forget about that. Going through Rave will help BJ get one step closer to his real targets Lacey and Jimmy Jacobs. ROH officials have told BJ that he can have his hands on Jimmy Rave, but he must do it in accordance with the Laws of Honor and the rules of the squared circle. And for all of this to take place, there will be a second referee at ringside AND there will be no outside interference from anyone on the ROH roster. We want to ensure a safe environment for all parties involved…and to make sure that Lacey does not rear her head in this match.

As this is the annual Survival of the Fittest Tournament, we felt we should dedicate some of this newswire to the one night tournament. As with the past two events, the winner will gain a World Title shot at their choosing…and with the 6 men involved, it could set up some very interesting match ups. So here are the 6 matches that will help lead into the elimination main event.

1. Jimmy Jacobs vs Homicide

2. Samoa Joe vs Mark Briscoe

3. Claudio Castagnolli vs Doug Williams

4. Taiji Ishimori vs Davey Richards

5. Colt Cabana vs Kevin Steen

6. Christopher Daniels vs Jay Briscoe

Pure Wrestling Champion Alex Shelley will be working in Japan the weekend of the event and he will be back the week after for the events in Boston and Philadelphia. We will Shelley all the best while he works with New Japan Pro Wrestling, but we look forward to his return at the beginning of November.

We look forward to seeing all of you in Chicago for this years’ Survival of the Fittest. As always, the bell time is 7:00pm, and of course there is a 30-Minute pre-show. On the show, Delirious will be taking on a man who has worked the pre-show for a couple of months, Tyler Black. And the second match on the pre-show will see The Irish Airborne taking on Jerrelle Clark and Jay Fury in tag team action. Please don’t hesitate to get your tickets for what is sure to be a hell of a show in Chicago Ridge.

Full card for Survival of the Fittest 2006

Survival of the Fittest Qualifiers

Jimmy Jacobs vs Homicide

Samoa Joe vs Mark Briscoe

Claudio Castagnolli vs Doug Williams

Taiji Ishimori vs Davey Richards

Colt Cabana vs Kevin Steen

Christopher Daniels vs Jay Briscoe

ROH World Champion Bryan Danielson and Roderick Strong vs Nigel McGuinness and Austin Aries

Jimmy Rave vs BJ Whitmer

Ask the fans:Who will be the man to win the Survival of the Fittest match?

OOC: Thanks again for the nomination Mootinie and to Wolfman and you for the continuous predictions. And to username for letting me know that I have more than two readers. We are two months away from Final Battle 2006 and I am currently thinking about making it a 2 or 3 night affair. I am trying to figure out how all of my plans will work out, so we will see.

Survival of the Fittest 2006

Jimmy Jacobs vs Homicide

ROH World Champion Bryan Danielson and Roderick Strong vs Nigel McGuinness and Austin Aries

Jimmy Rave vs BJ Whitmer

Ask the fans:Who will be the man to win the Survival of the Fittest match? Samoa Joe

On the side note I don't know who going to beat Bryan Danielson! It could be Nigel McGuinness, Samoa Joe or maybe Homicide but I'm not sure. I somewhat see Danielson holding the ROH World title for a long time! Also congratulations on the great show.

Guest user name

Jimmy Jacobs vs Homicide

ROH World Champion Bryan Danielson and Roderick Strong vs Nigel McGuinness and Austin Aries You have to give Nigel a win his first match back especially in this tag match involving the champ. Makes Nigel look stronger. I could see see Strong costing Bryan the match to leading to a one on one for the title with Aries costing Strong. Sorry for reading much into this but I'm really enjoying the read.

Jimmy Rave vs BJ Whitmer

Ask the fans:Who will be the man to win the Survival of the Fittest match?

Samoa Joe is the obvious choice but I'm going to say Davey Richards! He's a fresh guy who has been booked strong since he debuted. Him winning the tourney as a Cinderella will make him the newest star.

also wanted to thank Mootinie for the August DOTM Nomination. That really means a lot to me considering that this month has been an awful month for me personally.

No problem, you deserve it man. Keep up the good work. :D

- - - - -

Jimmy Jacobs vs Homicide

Jimmy Rave vs BJ Whitmer

Ask the fans:Who will be the man to win the Survival of the Fittest match? Samoa Joe

OOC: The qualifiers may not have the best of write-up, but I will do my best to make the Finals one of my better write ups.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx157/tcox88/ROH1.jpg

Survival of the Fittest 2006

Chicago Ridge, IL

October 28, 2006

Survival of the Fittest Qualifier

Homicide vs Jimmy Jacobs w/Lacey

The young and twisted Jimmy Jacobs was in for the fight of his young career so far, and there was no one better than for him to have that match against than ‘The Notorious 187’ Homicide. Both men proved that this was going to be more than a brawl when they exchanged actual wrestling holds in the first few minutes of the match. Jimmy was out to keep proving himself to Lacey and that he could hold his own against one of the main event players within the company. Not to surprisingly, Jimmy was able to go toe-to-toe with Homicide and take the match to him, catching him off guard by using his feelings for Lacey to help be the catalyst for an offensive flurry on his opponent. Jimmy even locked Homicide in the End Time to try and get the submission victory! Homicide was able to get out of it by ramming Jimmy into the turnbuckle multiple times until Jimmy let go of the hold. Homicide dodged a spear and bounced off the ropes. Jimmy turned around and Homicide drilled him with a huge Lariat! He covered Jimmy and was able to advance after getting the 1…2…3!

Homicide won by pinfall in 9:51

Mark Briscoe vs Samoa Joe

Mark and Joe had nearly three years of history against one another in the various Tag Title and World Title matches, but now it was time to write a small chapter in their history. They shook hands at the beginning of the match but after that, it was a stiff brutal contest between two men who knew how to work a strong style match. Mark tried to cover up and dodge the strikes of Joe and was doing well in the early minutes, but Joe was finally able to get his hands on him unleash hell on him. Mark did prove himself by absorbing much of the punishment and finally exploded in a flurry of offense as well, one that sent Joe reeling from a combination of unorthodox redneck karate, a leg lariat and a stiff Sambo Suplex that dropped Joe on the back of his head. Mark didn’t cover him though and got to the top rope, looking for a Shooting Star Press. He came off the top but Joe had already moved out of the way. Mark got up on his knees and Joe delivered a series of brutal kicks to his chest and one right to the side of his head as well. This allowed Joe to drop Mark with an Island Driver and become the second of 6 participants in the Surival of the Fittest match later in the show.

Samoa Joe wins by pinfall in 11:13

Doug Williams vs Claudio Castagnolli

This match, despite being a SOTF Qualifier, was a great showcase of the international talent that was on hand and coming in and out of Ring of Honor. Claudio refused to follow the Code of Honor but after the opening bell Doug was able to try and break Claudio down and show him respect. Claudio tried to use his strength to try and gain an advantage within the match, but Doug was proving to be too much for him with his superior ground game and knowledge of submission holds. He showed why they called him ‘The Human Torture Device’ as he bent and twisted the body of Castagnolli in many unnatural ways. Claudio finally was able to stop to put a stop to the offense of Williams with a brace of European Uppercuts, and the second almost knocked Williams out on his feet. This gave Claudio a much needed break. It was Claudio’s turn to finally exert his dominance in the match with a variety of suplexes and those devastating European Uppercuts, and those continued to rock Williams to the core. Claudio tried for a big swing but Williams was able to reverse it into a pin attempt but Claudio kicked out at two. The tow got back up and both of them exchanged chops and strikes and uppercuts. Claudio set Williams up for a Riccola Bomb, but Williams was able to break away and back drop Claudio. He blocked another European Uppercut and spun Claudio around, going for the Chaos Theory. The two men both jockeyed for position and switched back and forth who was behind the other in position for a German Suplex. Finally though, it was Williams who would connect with a German Suplex, and then a second, and then a third and fourth…then transition it into the Chaos Theory and get the win over Castagnolli and what a massive win it was.

Doug Williams wins by pinfall in 12:17

Davey Richards vs Taiji Ishimori

Two of the young lions on the Ring of Honor roster, who had been teaming up recently under the tutelage of KENTA, were put in a first time ever in ROH match and it was one of the qualifiers that had all of the fans licking their lips. The two started off circling each other, feeling each other out and not knowing how the other would approach this match. It ended up being the shortest of the qualifiers as both men 8 of the hardest and stiffest minutes in recent times. They exchanged kicks and almost seemed as if they were challenging the other to deliver a kick harder than the kick that was just delivered. Ishimori took the first real advantage when he rattled Davey with a devastating forearm to the side of the head, and then followed it up with a super kick and a near fall. He set Davey up for a Crucifix Driver but Davey stood firm and countered it with a DVD! He too got a two count and that is when his assault began. He sat Ishimori up and gave him nearly half a dozen sharp kicks across the back, leaving beet red marks on his skin. He went for one across the chest but Ishimori blocked it, grabbed the leg and brought Davey down and applied a Single Leg Crab! Davey quickly crawled the ropes and instead of breaking it right away, Ishimori stomped on the back of Davey’s head and then let go of the hold before he was DQed. A couple fans booed him for his tactics. Davey slowly got back to his feet and Ishimori picked him up and signaled for the Telarana (Hammerlock Cradle DDT), but Davey dropped his vertical base and wriggled free from the hold. He forearmed Ishimori back, bounced off the ropes and caught hum with a Running Knee, right to the side of the head. He covered, but Ishimori kicked out at 1! Davey sat him up and kicked him right across the chest. Ishimori didn’t go down and even told Davey to kick him again. So Davey obliged on three more occasions, with the fourth kick finally laying him out. Davey grabbed his leg and locked him in the Stretch Muffler! Ishimori tried to get away so Davey stomped on the back of his head the best he could before wrapping his legs around the body of Ishimori and had him locked in the middle of the ring! Ishimori had no choice but to tap out, and Davey advanced to the finals of the Survival of the Fittest.

Davey Richards wins by submission in 8:50

Cabana was looking to keep his small bit of momentum rolling in a BIG way as he looked to gain entrance and win the SOTF. His win against Jimmy Rave three weeks back looked to be the catalyst for this run and now he was facing Kevin Steen, who was have an interesting debut year in ROH. Steen has picked up very credible pinfall victories over AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels…but has also been pinned by the aforementioned opponents and a very humbling defeat against Samoa Joe a few months back. So it was not a surprise to anyone when it was Steen who was the aggressor in the early goings. Cabana’s unorthodox and very comical style of wrestling helped negate Steen’s aggression. Cabana would trip Steen and fake a major injury, only to roll up Steen and continue to piss him off. All of the antics stopped when Steen slapped Colt across the face. Colt got pissed and then it was he who became the aggressor. Steen was now on the back foot and Cabana pressed the attack. Steen did catch Colt off guard with a few flash pin attempts, but everytime he attempted a pin attempt, Colt would find a way to get out of them. It was ironic, because as Steen looked to secure the victory with a Package Piledriver, Cabana wriggled his arms free, tripped Steen, and caught him with a quick Jackknife Cradle for the 1…2…3!

Steen couldn’t believe what had happened and argued with the official all the way to the back of the building. Colt stood tall in the ring, victorious. His moment would not last long though. Jimmy Jacobs bolted down to the ring and tried to attack him, but Cabana was quick to react and met Jimmy head on in the ring. The two exchanged rights and lefts furiously and Jacobs finally got the upper hand with a kick to the groin of Cabana. It was clear that since he wasn’t able to get to BJ, he was going to try and do Lacey’s bidding by trying to eliminate Cabana. Cabana went to the mat and Jimmy pulled the railroad spike out of his boot and showed it to the fans. He stalked Cabana like a predator would stalk his prey and when he felt the time was right he drove the spike into Colt’s forehead. After a second and third strike Cabana had been busted open and Jimmy took the blood from his head and wiped it across his chest and down his face. Jimmy smiled and measured him for another shot. After connecting with one final blow, BJ Whitmer and Delirious darted out to the ring and ran off Jimmy, who looked very pleased at what he was able to accomplish for Lacey.

Colt Cabana wins by pinfall in 10:49

DVD Exclusive

ROH Commissioner Shane Richards stood in the locker room area pacing back and forth when one of the ROH medics came up to him.

Shane – “So what’s verdict?”

Medic – “We have been able to bandage him up and somewhat stop the bleeding. Against my recommendation, Colt has said that he wants to participate in the match tonight.”

Shane – “Thanks doc.” Shane rubbed his head and sighed, clearly stressing out over this whole situation. Before he could even have time to react or blink he turned around and there was Austin Aries standing there.

Austin – “So here is the deal. I know you are the one who makes the matches and there is a chain of command, but I don’t have time for that bulls***. I was Roderick Strong in a one-on-one match. If you think you are doing me a favor by putting us in a tag match and letting us ‘hash it out’ that way then you are dead wrong. Put me in a match with him or this Lacey situation will look take compared to what I will do to him inside and outside of a ring.”

Shane – “I know you’re pissed, I get it. First, I appreciate you coming to me like this and not just blindsiding him like everyone else in this d*** company likes to do. Secondly, you want a match with Roderick Strong? You got it. 11/3 in Boston, MA you and Roderick one-on-one. If you want to prove yourself to be one of the ace’s in ROH then go out there tonight and on 11/3 and conduct yourself in that way.” Aries smiled as Shane walked away.”

Jimmy Rave vs BJ Whitmer

This was the first time since the middle of August that BJ has been seen in an ROH ring in active competition, everyone (including Jimmy Rave) noticed that his ankle was heavily taped up. This put a big target on it and Jimmy tried from the beginning to take it out early and use that Heel Hook submission hold that has been very good to him as of late. BJ did a good job of making sure that Jimmy got nowhere near his ankle by sprawling and by simply trying to beat the hell out of Jimmy. As the match progressed though, Rave became angry with BJ and after a swift thumb to the eyes, the opening was there and Jimmy took full advantage of it. BJ’s ankle became the epicenter of a full on assault by Jimmy Rave that saw him do his best to try and cripple the man. Everyone could see the pain that BJ was in as Rave pressed the attack and stomped away violently on Whitmer’s ankle. As the match progressed, Jimmy became much more arrogant and cocky and it was seen in the pin attempts that he would make, not hooking a leg or by simply putting one foot across the chest of BJ. The final straw for BJ was when Jimmy slapped BJ across the face, leading to BJ exploding in a rage! He speared Jimmy to the mat and began to unload with lefts and rights. Jimmy tried to cover up but BJ was too persistent. Todd Sinclair had to pull BJ off of Jimmy and threatened to DQ him if he kept it up. This was all the opening that Rave needed though. He dropkicked the ankle of BJ and brought him to the middle of the ring and tried to apply the Heel Hook submission hold. BJ tried desperately to fight it off and was able to grab Rave by the hair, pull him down and quickly roll him up. Sinclair dropped to the mat and counted 1…2…3!

Jimmy was furious that he had been pinned like that and started the attack on the ankle of BJ once more. He planted him with a Pedigree (OOC: I have GOT to get him a new damn finisher!) and went right back to the Heel Hook! BJ screamed out in pain and while Sinclair tried to pull Jimmy off, it wasn’t enough to break the hold. Quickly though, Commissioner Richards and a whole host of ROH officials and referees came down to the ring to finally get him off of BJ and break the two of them up. Jimmy was forced back to the locker room while the medical staff hovered over BJ and his injured ankle.

BJ Whitmer wins by pinfall in 13:02

Bryan Danielson and Roderick Strong vs Nigel McGuniness and Austin Aries

As strange as it was to see Danielson and Strong teaming up after their three classic bouts, it was even stranger to see Roderick and Aries on opposite sides of the ring in a tag team match. The bell rang and before Aries could get his hands on Roderick Strong, Roderick tagged out to Danielson like a coward. Aries could only smile and tag in Nigel McGuiness, but it was Danielson who now tagged out and Roderick was brought back into the match. So, it finally started out as Nigel against Roderick in a very interesting match-up of four of the best ROH has to offer. Nigel and Aries proved to work great as a tag team, linking up with some very interesting double team maneuvers to keep their opponents at bay. When Aries and Roderick finally got in the ring with each other, Aries nearly snapped and became a different man, unleashing three weeks’ worth of hell on his former partner, and even busted the lip of Roderick at one point. Strong responded by giving he and the World Champion one of the longest advantages of the match when Aries felt his wrath when he gave Aries a combination of backbreakers that puts them all down. He tagged in Danielson and the two men began to kick the back of Aries, before Nigel was able to break it up. Strong and Danielson continued to dominate the match by keeping Nigel out of the ring and continuing to work over Aries. After moments of being double teamed, Aries was finally able to tag out and Nigel came in and turned the match around for his team. Aries and Strong took the match out to the floor and that left Nigel in the ring with Danielson. Nigel and Danielson proceeded to put on a wrestling clinic, going hold for hold with one another and exchanging headlocks, hammerlocks, and submission holds. The fans applauded the technical masterpiece the two of them were putting on but all good things come to an end when Roderick got into the ring and attacked Nigel from behind. He and Danielson double teamed Nigel and brought him down with a variety of kicks and chops. Roderick planted Nigel with a backbreaker and went to put him in the Stronghold. He rolled it over and Danielson put him in a Crossface! The fans were chanting for him not to tap out, and Aries was able to help him out with that. He came in and kicked Danielson right in the head and then grabbed Roderick and got him off of Nigel. He hooked him and delivered a Brainbuster! He covered him 1…2…, but Roderick kicked out. Aries put Roderick by the turnbuckle and went up top. He came off and got Strong with the 450 Splash! Before he could get the three count, Danielson dropped a knee and tried to lock him in Cattle Mutilation! Aries did his best to fight it off and ducked when he saw Nigel come his way and deliver Danielson with a massive Lariat! Nigel made the cover on the World Champion and hooked his leg 1…2…3!

It took Danielson a moment or two to get back to his feet and Nigel was there waiting on him. Roderick had already left the ring and Austin Aries chased after him. Danielson stood in the corner with the World Title in his hands, and Nigel proceeded to walk closer to him. Nigel extended his hand to follow the Code of Honor. Danielson thought about it for a moment and went to shake Nigel’s hand. Before he did though, he lifted his hand up and flipped Nigel ‘the bird’ before quickly ducking out of the ring, clutching tightly to his chest the ROH World Championship. Nigel was not happy, but he knew that he would be getting his title match soon.

Nigel McGuinness and Austin Aries win by pinfall in 19:07

DVD Exclusive

There is commotion backstage and a cameraman is running back to the locker room area and finds Austin Aries laying on the ground clutching at his ankle, screaming in pain. A small handful of officials are in the back checking on him and trying to check on him despite his protests.

Shane – “Who did this Austin? Was it Roderick?”

Austin – “I was….hit from behind!” Austin tried to get out between grunts of pain.

Shane – “D*** it! Did anyone see what happened? Anyone??” No one spoke up, and the only chatter that could be heard was from the medics and Aries, who was doing his best to get up and find Roderick Strong and whoever it was that attacked him.

Survival of the Fittest Elimination Match

Christopher Daniels vs Colt Cabana vs Doug Williams vs Davey Richards vs Homicide w/Julius Smokes vs Samoa Joe

Doug Williams and Davey Richards started the match off, with the other four standing on the ring aprons, waiting eagerly and patiently to get their chance in the match. Colt Cabana’s head was bandaged after the attack from Jimmy Jacobs, but luckily for him , the medics were able o wrap it above his eyes. Davey initially tried to wrestle with Doug Williams, but with Williams being the better mat wrestler, he was able to handle Richards pretty easily at first. That was until Davey abandoned the idea of trying to out wrestle Doug and proceed to out strike Doug. He kept him at bay with sharp, razor like kicks and shops that made even a man like Homicide cringe a little. Doug turned the tide of the match back into his favor when he caught one of Davey’s kicks and started to throw him around the ring like a rag doll. Davey would not be outdone by Williams though and did his best to get back into the match by starting to suplex him around the ring as well. This caught Williams off guard, long enough for Richards to press on and keep his advantage going. Williams had 11 years more experience in wrestling, but that didn’t stop Davey from forcing Williams to tag in Christopher Daniels, out of fear of being eliminated. The fans applauded and cheered when Daniels and Richards locked up and jockeyed for position. Arguably one of the most important figures in ROH history against one of the companies’ brightest stars, and the fans were eating it up. The wily veteran that Daniels was helped him get the upper hand…for a moment…but once again it was the striking power of Davey Richards that was proving to be too much for the competitors in the match. Daniels turned the match into his favor with a Palm Strike to the side of the head of his head, and then followed it up and an STO. He made a quick tag and Samoa Joe entered the fray, and everyone knew that business had just picked up. Davey got to his knees and Joe kicked him right across the chest! Davey shook it off and challenged the big man to kick him again, and of course he obliged. Davey challenged him a third time, but this time Joe simply slapped Richards across the face as hard as he could and finally Davey went down to the mat. Joe picked him and sat him in the corner and began to scrape his boot against the face of Davey. He then ran and bounced off the ropes and completed the Face Wash with a devastating foot to the head of Davey. Davey desperately needed a tag but the other five members of the match were making sure that he was not able to do so. Cabana did his best in the early moments to not get too much ring time, but Davey was finally able to tag out and bring in his injured competition. Colt fought valiantly as the other five once again produced the same sort of tactic used on Davey Richards and kept him in the ring for an extended period of time. Cabana’s head injury proved to be too costly to him though in the long run however. Williams was able to win a battle of positioning and caught Cabana in the Chaos Theory! He bridged the German Suplex for a pin attempt, 1…2…3! Colt Cabana has been eliminated. All of the Chicago faithful booed as Cabana was taken back to the locker room area after his elimination. Homicide caught Williams off guard after the pin with a rollup 1…2…, but Williams was able to kick out at two and keep his hopes alive still. Homicide teed off on Williams, but Williams ducked a punch and attempted a Chaos Theory now on Homicide. Homicide blocked the Chaos Theory once, but was unable to block it a second time as Williams planted Homicide on the mat! Todd Sinclair counted the fall 1…2…, but Homicide was able to get his shoulder up! Williams couldn’t believe it. He tried to pin Homicide again, but he was able to get his shoulder up. Homicide instinctively rolled to the ropes and tagged in Daniels. Daniels caught Williams off guard with a Leg Lariat. Daniels was able to hold onto the advantage on Williams, not without help from Davey Richards, when he drilled Williams in the side of the head with a super kick! Williams went down and Daniels went to the top rope. And delivered the Best Moonsault Ever! Daniels hooked Williams’ far leg 1…2…3! Doug Williams has been eliminated. And just like that it was down to four men. Davey did his best to get it down to three when he began kicking away at Daniels, trying to beat him down. Now, it was Daniels’ turn to be on the wrong end of double and triple teams. Joe and Daniels were in the ring at the same time, and despite teaming up to take down the Kingdom, they renewed their historic rivalry with stiff shots back and forth between one another. Davey and Homicide stood back and watched the two men exchange shots. Davey got a little over zealous and charged into the ring. He was met by Daniels and Joe who quickly sent him over the top rope and landing hard on the floor. Homicide got into the ring as well and dumped Joe over the top and turned his attention to Daniels. The match was quickly beginning to breakdown into a free-for-all with all four men fighting inside and outside of the ring. Joe whipped Davey hard into the guardrail on the outside and sat him in a chair. He chopped him a few times and went for the Ole Ole kick. He measured Davey the Ole Ole kick! Davey fell to the ground and Joe continued the assault. He whipped Davey head over heels into the guardrail. Joe picked him up and whipped a third time into the guardrail, and this time the guardrails became unhinged from each other. A small pocket of fans chanted ‘Holy S***’. In the ring, Daniels and Homicide were not backing down from each other, giving each other their best and still coming back for more. Daniels planted Homicide with a STO! He went for the B.M.E., but Homicide took his leg out and Daniels landed crotch first on the top turnbuckle. He hooked Daniels on his back and pulled him out, setting him up for a Cop Killa! He dropped Daniels with his finishing move! Homicide hooked his leg and the ref dropped down for the pin attempt 1…2…3! Christopher Daniels has been eliminated. Joe entered the ring and bull rushed Homicide! He tried to strike him, but Homicide was able to cover up from Joe’s attacks. Homicide blocked a right hand and fought back against the much bigger man. Joe got the advantage back and delivered a few hard chops to the chest of Homicide and then a stiff slap across his face. Homicide slapped Joe back and it became one of those rare moments when Joe was on the back foot! Homicide delivered a few forearm shots to his head and bounced off the ropes. Joe caught him coming in with a massive powerslam! He picked up Homicide and put him up on the top rope. He hooked Homicide for the Muscle Buster, and pulled him out of the corner. He walked to the middle of the ring and dropped him hard! He covered Homicide 1…2…NO!!!! Homicide somehow for his shoulder up! The fans went nuts, and Joe was in shock. People never get up from the Muscle Buster. Joe looked around, trying to figure out now how he was going to put down Homicide. Davey got back into the ring and Joe delivered a few well-placed forearms and then Irish Whipped him into the ropes and gave him a powerslam as well. Joe got back to his feet and turned around as Homicide gave him a Lariat! Joe didn’t leave his feet though. Homicide bounced of the ropes again gave him a second Lariat, this one stiffer than the first. Somehow though, Joe was still on his feet, albeit groggy. Homicide took off his elbow pad and delivered a third Lariat, and this time Joe FINALLY went down to the mat. Homicide hooked his leg, 1…2…3! Samoa Joe has been eliminated. Homicide and Davey both got to their feet, knowing that they were a 3 count fall away from earning a World Title shot down the road. They were hesitant at first as to who was going to make the first move so Davey took it upon himself to fire the first shot. He kicked away at Homicide’s legs and hips and then went for a homerun shot by trying to kick Homicide in the head. Homicide ducked and quickly counted with an Ace Crusher! He tried to cover quickly but Davey was able to kick out at 1! Homicide measured him for the Lariat and almost took Davey’s head off…but Davey was able to move and come off the ropes himself and knee Homicide under the chin! He hooked the far leg 1…2…, but Homicide kicked out! Clearly, neither man was going to give up or allow themselves to succumb to a big move in this match but they did their best to deliver that one final blow put down their opponent. Davey hooked Homicide for the DR-Driver, but Homicide wriggled free of the hold and gave him a Lariat that did not have much power behind it at all. He covered him again but Davey was able to kick out for a second time. Homicide was not happy and kept the fight coming to Davey. He motioned for the Cop Killa and actually had Davey up on the air for it, but Davey was able to roll down Homicide’s back and roll him up for another pin attempt, 1…2…, but Homicide got his shoulder up once more. They both got back to their feet and began to exchange right and lefts and chops and forearms, trying desperately to put down their opponent. Davey got the better of the exchange and had Homicide reeling. Davey psyched himself up and came off the ropes, looking for a Lariat that could end the match. He bounced off the ropes and swung but Homicide caught his arm and lifted him up for a second attempt at the Cop Killa. But for the second time, Davey rolled off his back and this time he shoved Homicide away from him. He charged at Homicide a second time and Homicide evaded a Running Knee. Davey returned to his feet only to be dropped by a devastating and stiff Lariat! Homicide rolled him over and hooked his leg 1…2…3!!!

The crowd erupted and Julius Smokes entered into the ring and jumped on Homicide, hugging him and congratulating him for his epic and historic win! Homicide got to his feet and ate up the cheers of the fans and after a moment Davey got to his feet as well. He walked over to Homicide and got in his face. The fans were unsure of what was going to happen, and they applauded when Davey reached out and shook Homicide’s hand and then lifted his arm in the air out of respect.

Homicide wins the 2006 Survival of the Fittest in 30:08

Quick Results

Homicide def. Jimmy Jacobs (B-)

Samoa Joe def. Mark Briscoe (C+)

Doug Williams def. Claudio Castgnolli (B)

Davey Richards def. Taiji Ishimori ©

Colt Cabana def. Kevin Steen ©

Christopher Daniels def. Jay Briscoe ©

BJ Whitmer def. Jimmy Rave (B-)

Nigel McGuinness and Austin Aries def. Bryan Danielson and Roderick Strong ©

Homicide won the 2006 Survival of the Fittest (B)*Match of the Night

OOC: And yes, as I was writing up the quick results did I notice that all of the heels lost. Not my intention but it happened. My bad

ROH Newswire October 30, 2006

Survival of the Fittest was another great event for all of us at Ring of Honor but as with every show we have, there are major talking points from the show. The first one being that Homicide has earned himself another shot at the Ring of Honor World Heavyweight Championship whenever he chooses by being the last man standing in the Survival of the Fittest match. In fact, Homicide eliminated three men on his own. We have a double shot this coming weekend in Braintree, MA and Philadelphia, PA. This weekend in Braintree, Homicide will be wrestling one-on-one the man that he eliminated last in the match, Davey Richards. They had a great final few minutes that Homicide ultimately won. It should be a very intriguing contest between the two.

Back at the ‘Up For Grabs’ event, Bryan Danielson and Alex Shelley teamed up in an attempt to win the World Tag titles. After losing, both men have had a war of words backstage off camera and have come to ROH officials for a very historic match-up within our great company. The Ring of Honor World Champion Bryan Danielson and Ring of Honor Pure Wrestling Champion will go head-to-head in a Title vs Title match. Will Bryan Danielson or Alex Shelley be the first man in ROH to hold two championships?

Austin Aries and Roderick Strong are slated to have a match this weekend in Braintree and that match seemed like it wasn’t going to happen after Austin Aries was found attacked and left with an ankle injury in Chicago. We still don’t know who it was who attacked Austin but Roderick is denying that it was him who attacked Aries. The two of them will have a score to settle in Braintree, and we know it will be one to watch.

After getting a great win over the World Champion in Chicago, Nigel McGuinness enters into this weekend with a World Title shot in Philly on Saturday, but before he can step into the ring with whoever is the World Champion, Nigel will be taking part in a Four Corner Survival Match. The other three men participating in the contest will be fellow Englishmen Doug Williams, Jerry Lynn, and World Tag Champion Jay Briscoe.

Once again, Jimmy Jacobs left his mark on Colt Cabana at the behooving of Lacey. Colt was almost unable to participate in the Survival of the Fittest match, and still hasn’t fully recovered from the attack by Jacobs. So in Braintree, there will be a very interesting 6-man tag team match. Jacobs will team up with Jimmy Rave and Adam Pearce to take on Colt Cabana, Ace Steel and BJ Whitmer. And this will once again be a "Lacey $10,000 Challenge Match"

The Irish Airborne are looking to get into contention to challenge for the Ring of Honor World Tag Team Championships, and will start their quest by taking on Dunn and Marcos.

Ring of Honor World Tag Team Champion Mark Briscoe will be taking on Taiji Ishimori. Two young and exciting athletes in ROH in Mark and Taiji will collide and it should be an interesting contest.

Christopher Daniels will be looking to rebound from the loss at Survival of the Fittest and so will be his tag team partner Samoa Joe. They will be going up against former ROH World Tag Champions Havana Pitbulls. It should be a very hard hitting contest between four top notch athletes in pro wrestling.

• Two of ROH’s newest members will be going head-to-head when Robert Roode will go one-on-one against Charlie Haas. Both men will be desperate for a win, knowing that it could be a catalyst to a run for a shot at the ROH World Championship one day down the road.

Full card for The Champions Challenge

Title vs Title

Ring of Honor World Champion Bryan Danielson vs Ring of Honor Pure Champion Alex Shelley

Austin Aries vs Roderick Strong

Christopher Daniels and Samoa Joe vs Ricky Reyes and Rocky Romero

Four Corner Survival

Nigel McGuinness vs Ring of Honor World Tag Team Champion Jay Briscoe vs Doug Williams vs Jerry Lynn

Robert Roode vs Charlie Haas

$10,000 Challenge Match

Jimmy Rave, Jimmy Jacobs and Adam Pearce vs Colt Cabana, Ace Steel and BJ Whitmer

Homicide vs Davey Richards

Taiji Ishimori vs Ring of Honor World Tag Team Champion Mark Briscoe

Irish Airborne vs Dunn and Marcos

Full card for The Champions Challenge

Title vs Title

Ring of Honor World Champion Bryan Danielson vs Ring of Honor Pure Champion Alex Shelley

And then McGuinness wins both belts.

Four Corner Survival

Nigel McGuinness vs Ring of Honor World Tag Team Champion Jay Briscoe vs Doug Williams vs Jerry Lynn

$10,000 Challenge Match

Jimmy Rave, Jimmy Jacobs and Adam Pearce vs Colt Cabana, Ace Steel and BJ Whitmer

The Champions Challenge

Title vs Title

Ring of Honor World Champion Bryan Danielson vs Ring of Honor Pure Champion Alex Shelley - Draw

Four Corner Survival

$10,000 Challenge Match

Archived