ThunderVerse 2014 Platinum Release Thread

Just a quick BCW/geography question - why is Kentucky considered Great Lakes region? I'd always assumed it was South East.

All locations were based on maps created by (I believe) dse81. I haven't got a link to hand but if no one beats me to it I'll post it tonight.

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just looking through the Platinum database (waiting for the first update before I dive into a game, since some things can't be fixed with the in-game editor), and I'm truly amazed at the amount of work that has gone into this. Kudos to the whole team. You've definitely earned that GDS seal of approval. :)

All locations were based on maps created by (I believe) dse81. I haven't got a link to hand but if no one beats me to it I'll post it tonight.

Here they are.

I never got the inclusion of Kentucky into the region their interests wrestling wise is more South East or Midwest, but if you use that logic then you might as well just make New York and Florida their own regions.

I also find Kentucky being Great Lakes odd, but going by the maps it's where it is. During the modding process it actually caught us off-guard and a variety of pops had to be changed up to put BCW in the right region and work how we wanted it to. I think it's just one of those anomalies in culture... Kentucky is seen as a southern state, but it's actually only one state away from the Canadian border

So it's not just you guys who find it odd, but I'm guessing it's to make the regions look right on the map too ;)

Great job with this! I would say keep up the good work, but now that you've done the entire world where would you go next? Thunderverse can into space? :p

Anyway I've mainly just been looking around at the database and all the new workers and promotions. Just started a game in Japan as SPLASH, since there are quite a few gimmicky guys in Japan who deserve a comedy focused promotion. My top guys include a crazy old psychopath (Kabuki Takao), Kilmarnock's own superhero (Captain Scotland), a reality TV star (Tadasu Siagyo), An big scary monster from the Congo (Guruhi), a Mysterious Alien (Ryder), the worlds greatest love machine (PINK Shotaru) and the 1 and only face-painted powerhouse BORYUKO.

I also find Kentucky being Great Lakes odd, but going by the maps it's where it is. During the modding process it actually caught us off-guard and a variety of pops had to be changed up to put BCW in the right region and work how we wanted it to. I think it's just one of those anomalies in culture... Kentucky is seen as a southern state, but it's actually only one state away from the Canadian border

So it's not just you guys who find it odd, but I'm guessing it's to make the regions look right on the map too ;)

It just seems very odd wrestling-culture wise. To use a contemporary-ish example, would a star in Jim Cornette's old Smoky Mountain Wrestling have much name value in Indiana or Illinois, or would their popularity extend south to Tennessee (South East) or east to West Virginia (Mid Atlantic)?

Great job with this! I would say keep up the good work, but now that you've done the entire world where would you go next? Thunderverse can into space? :p

Anyway I've mainly just been looking around at the database and all the new workers and promotions. Just started a game in Japan as SPLASH, since there are quite a few gimmicky guys in Japan who deserve a comedy focused promotion. My top guys include a crazy old psychopath (Kabuki Takao), Kilmarnock's own superhero (Captain Scotland), a reality TV star (Tadasu Siagyo), An big scary monster from the Congo (Guruhi), a Mysterious Alien (Ryder), the worlds greatest love machine (PINK Shotaru) and the 1 and only face-painted powerhouse BORYUKO.

:D

That looks ace Tiberious. Captain Scotland to win everything, right?

If so, your money is under the table.

Have to say that I love the legendary angles included in the data. That kind of detail is impressive, and reflective of the work that's gone into this mod.

Quite like what has happened with the AWF. Prophesy is a great addition, and one of the ideas I toyed with for my AWF diary. Like that Cross has fully established himself. Like the thought of an epic rivalry between Hawk and Silva. But I've decided to give PWI a try for the first time. So I have a couple of question and/or points for discussion.

First, where is PWI based? Its in New England. I've always kinda assumed Boston, but curious if there is a canon home.

Second, is Shane Allman adding more character to PWI?

I know he's anti-SE and spent 2013 ranting about sports entertainers, gimmicks, and so on. But PWI is a combination of traditional wrestling and puroresu, boht of which make use of characters. Not gimmicks as much as just the wrestlers having character. They might be basic and based on the worker themselves, but that's still character. I've never seen PWI as quite as "wrestler robots" and they do have a face/heel divide. So I've always imagined them similar to ROH and NJPW in that sense with the characters.

Perhaps its just my perception but it seems like there is a bit more character being injected. The signing of Guy Lothario and establishing a heel stable seems like it. So does Clayton Bennett becoming an "honorary Hart". And signing a wrestler like Talon. I don't see it as Allman going SE but simply adding a bit more of that aspect.

I know this is overthinking things and its my game, so I can just play however I want. But I like to respect the canon of a game and dislike the thought of simply changing the product of the promotion just for kicks. My thought is that as a cult level promotion, Allman had total control. As a national level promotion, there are more pressures. A wider audience, more and bigger sponsors, more expectations. So I can see him getting pressure from sponsors and the TV network to be a bit more accessible to the wider audience they now have. Would Allman give in to that? Would he sacrifice his vision to a degree for greater success?

I've always seen Allman as an amalgamation of Paul Heyman and Gabe Sapolsky, with a touch of Vinny Mac in there. An odd combination of neurotic and self-confident, almost to the point of arrogance. Controlling in some ways, yet letting the talent be free in others. But he's also a promoter and sometimes business comes first, like McMahon, so sometimes you give over your ideals to making sure you make money.

First, where is PWI based? Its in New England. I've always kinda assumed Boston, but curious if there is a canon home.

You're right, Boston.

Not gimmicks as much as just the wrestlers having character. They might be basic and based on the worker themselves, but that's still character.

Again, spot on. If you think of Eric Bischoff saying that he wanted to use realistic gimmicks/storylines/names etc. with WCW during his run, it's that sort of thing taken a bit further (and in an admittedly different product).

So I can see him getting pressure from sponsors and the TV network to be a bit more accessible to the wider audience they now have. Would Allman give in to that? Would he sacrifice his vision to a degree for greater success?

I've always seen Allman as an amalgamation of Paul Heyman and Gabe Sapolsky, with a touch of Vinny Mac in there. An odd combination of neurotic and self-confident, almost to the point of arrogance. Controlling in some ways, yet letting the talent be free in others. But he's also a promoter and sometimes business comes first, like McMahon, so sometimes you give over your ideals to making sure you make money.

One thing that's important about Shane Allman is that he is not averse to breaking his own rules as long as he can find a way to explain it. Seb Curtis was hired during his anti-sports entertainment rant despite being a former AWF and WWWE guy. His logic was that Curtis worked PWI before he joined the AWF so didn't count! :D

People like Jose Angel Garces, Joey Perez and Talon are a bit more gimmicky than usually is the case for PWI, but to some extent he's almost showing off - "look at what I can do with these typically sports entertainment guys". He'll take a facepainted wrestler like Talon and turn him into the face of anti-sports-entertainment. Or at least, he will if he can! :D

:D

That looks ace Tiberious. Captain Scotland to win everything, right?

If so, your money is under the table.

I expect he'll hold the title at some point, with the exception of the aging and part-time Kabuki Takao he's clearly the best wrestler on the roster. In fact no one else except Kabuto is even on the power 500. His microphone skills could use a little work, but I have Yuko Enoki working as his manager/damsel in distress he has to keep rescuing.

I've got a couple big feuds for Captain Scotland planned, 1 with the villainous Euro Phoenix and his manager ARASHI, and another with PINK Shotaru after the ladies man keeps trying to seduce Yuko Enoki.

You're right, Boston.

Again, spot on. If you think of Eric Bischoff saying that he wanted to use realistic gimmicks/storylines/names etc. with WCW during his run, it's that sort of thing taken a bit further (and in an admittedly different product).

One thing that's important about Shane Allman is that he is not averse to breaking his own rules as long as he can find a way to explain it. Seb Curtis was hired during his anti-sports entertainment rant despite being a former AWF and WWWE guy. His logic was that Curtis worked PWI before he joined the AWF so didn't count! :D

People like Jose Angel Garces, Joey Perez and Talon are a bit more gimmicky than usually is the case for PWI, but to some extent he's almost showing off - "look at what I can do with these typically sports entertainment guys". He'll take a facepainted wrestler like Talon and turn him into the face of anti-sports-entertainment. Or at least, he will if he can! :D

Cool. I always just assumed Boston then realized the other day its not specifically stated in the mod that I could see.

The "reality" injected by the Monday Night Wars is a good point of reference. Which brings up a thought - would Allman try to bring the war witih AWF onto the TV screen in some way? My instinct is no, but if he saw a way to benefit from it....

Yeah, the "spin things" and "retcon history" dynamic is something I see in Allman as well. Which is why I find pieces of Heyman in him - he is a bit of a hustler in certain ways. He's a promoter, a salesman. I do also see some of the perceived negative aspects of Sapolsky there - creative but sometmies petulant, visionary but sometimes over-controlling, prone to lacking a filter at times, and always always always selling his product.

Showing off with the less typical PWI guys is an interesting take. Not about changing the product or evolving it so much as arrogance. Almost like "I can make a great wrestler and a PWI athlete out of anyone - why can't do that with all their money?"

I like to think of Talon in PWI as being similar to Sting in WCW. Totally not because of the facepaint. ¬_¬

Sting is a great comparison and yes, it is more than just the face paint lol. He became a star based more on charisma and a unique look than outright in-ring ability. Talon seems capable of doing the same. On an early test sim I did of the Platinum data, he developed into a mega-talented main eventer and was in the top 5 of the Power 500 by 3-4 years in. Might have even won Wrestler of the Year at one point but don't recall for certain.

I think the late 80s WCW has a lot of ponits of comparison to PWI.

I think I'm comfortable with hiring some non-typical PWI guys - workers talented in ring but who would be at least much about look or characater as in ring skill.

Another question - with the Modern in the product, cruiserweights and luchadores will still do okay, correct?

It just seems very odd wrestling-culture wise. To use a contemporary-ish example, would a star in Jim Cornette's old Smoky Mountain Wrestling have much name value in Indiana or Illinois, or would their popularity extend south to Tennessee (South East) or east to West Virginia (Mid Atlantic)?

You're thinking of Ohio Valley, Smoky Mountain was based out of Knoxville and mostly ran in Tennessee.

To answer your question, I would assume since most Kentucky promotions are based in Louisville and other northern cities and tend to run closer to Indiana and Illinois, it made more sense to put Kentucky in the Great Lakes region rather than the South East or Mid Atlantic.

My post about signing too many people?

Upwards of 300 in ring workers...I'm just going to create a ton of development territories around the world in order to create Chase Paige's own "territory" system.

I didn't intend to sign so many, but I just went through signing people I liked the look of. I'm sure this is going to end up biting me in the keester though.

Something I noticed after I started a game with DRAGON Pro. Soldiers of Blood are listed as an active stable but there are no members listed. Should they be inactive and if not who should be in the stable? Love what I have seen in the mod so far. :D

Soldiers of Blood should be inactive. They split to form two separate stables - Blud and The Contingency.

Two other things I noted :

- In PWSUX, Patrick Ahearne and Rory O'Connor both have the "Irish Rogue" gimmick which is listed as non-generic.

- HUSTLE Umiro has no popularity in USA although he is working for DRAGON Pro since 2012 and is one third of the Triple DRAGON champions.

Fixed, thanks.

Something I noticed after I started a game with DRAGON Pro. Soldiers of Blood are listed as an active stable but there are no members listed. Should they be inactive and if not who should be in the stable? Love what I have seen in the mod so far. :D

Set as inactive.