WCW The Rebirth:The Shane McMahon Era

The Rebirth of WCW

The Shane McMahon Era

What if it wasn't just a storyline? What if Shane McMahon really did buy WCW without Vince McMahon knowing? What if Shane McMahon wanted to step out of his father's shadow and pick up the baton of WCW and bring it back from the depths to compete against his father. Not to drive him out of business, but to see if the son can beat the father at his own game. Shane McMahon's promise on the very last Nitro on March 26th, 2001 was for WCW to kick Vince McMahon's ass once again. After that show went off the air, the news coming from WCW was non-existent for weeks. And then towards the end of April, rumors started to swirl that Shane had an announcement to make. The internet was a buzz with rumors that WCW had found a new place on TV. That WCW had found a new place on PPV. That WCW was ready to raise like the phoenix. That my friends, is where this little story begins.

This will begin on the first Monday in May of 2001. The storylines that were on going when WCW closed its doors will not carry on. WCW begins without any television or pay per view deals. Once PPV deals are made they will be held on the 4th Sunday of every month. They will all be 3 hours in length. The majority of the PPV names will remain the same. The exceptions will be the January PPV will be named Turning Point. The March PPV, due to the purchase date of the company by Shane McMahon, will now be known as Slammiversary to celebrate the purchase and the saving of the company. The May PPV will be known as No Surrender. August PPV will now be known as the Clash of the Champions. Finally the November PPV will be known as Bound for Glory.

The WCW Champions will stay in place, but some will be retired, some will be renamed. The champions will stay in place as long as the title is going to continue to exist. The WCW Product will be changed to the Following: Traditional (Medium), Mainstream Medium), Comedy (Low), Cult (Low), Risqué (Low), Modern (Key Feature), Realism (Heavy), Hyper Realism (Low), Hardcore (Low), Lucha Libre (Medium), Pure (Low), Daredevil (Low), Match Intensity (60%), Match Danger (60%). There will NEVER be non-title matches involving champions if they are in a one on one setting or two on two setting.

This will be my second attempt at a WCW diary. My first attempt was started without much forethought in long term planning. That is drastically changed this time around. I also have no intentions of using or linking to pictures. This will solely be a text based diary. Some promos will be written out in detail, others will be a cliff notes versions of what they said based on the importance of the topic. I will be posting "internet" reports for news topics that I want known, but don't want to address directly within the television show.

This product will take aspects of TNA, ROH and ECW that I enjoyed as well keeping some of the better parts of WCW that I enjoyed so much growing up. Wins and Loss will matter. While feuds and storylines will happen, they will all be realistic in nature. Some characters introduced will be using gimmicks that were made famous later in their careers, while some will be given all new gimmicks when introduced. Any storyline that may have been on going in the dying days of WCW are going to be ignored. This will begin as a brand new story. Hope you guys enjoy my crazy little world I have created.

WCW Rules & Regulations

Contestants who repeatedly violate any of the following rules will be disqualified

1. No hair pulling, eye gouging, strangle holds or biting

2. No pulling of trunks, masks, or any other equipment

3. No straight punches or kicks with the point of toe

The following violations are automatic disqualifications

1. Karate thrusts to the throat

2. Failing to break an illegal hold before the referee's "five count"

3. The use of any foreign object

4. Any interference with the duties of the referee

5. Continuing to abuse a defeated opponent

6. Any interference by managers, seconds or corner men

7. Tag Team Save Rule: Automatically disqualification when one team member saves another on any sure pin or submission combination more than once

8. No intentional punching or kicking to the groin area

Contestants will get a 10 count on the apron of the ring and on the floor.

Championships cannot change hands when the victory is gained by disqualification or count out.

In any situation not covered by these rules, the WCW will honor the judgment and discretion of the appointed referee.

Time Limits

TV Time Limit for all non-main event: 20 minutes

TV Time Limits for Title Matches

World Heavyweight Championship: 30 minutes or TV time remaining

World Tag Team Championship: 20 minutes or TV time remaining

Women's Championship: 15 minutes or TV time remaining

X-Division Championship: 15 minutes or TV time remaining

All PPV Title Matches will be first fall/submission to a finish unless otherwise noted

WCW PPVs

January - Turning Point

February - SuperBrawl

March - Slammiversary

April - Spring Stampede

May - No Surrender

June - The Great American Bash

July - Bash at the Beach

August - Clash of the Champions

September - Fall Brawl

October - Halloween Havoc

November - Bound for Glory

December - Starrcade

WCW Roster

Will be updated once all new debuts happen

WCW Tag Teams

WCW Stables

WCW Referees

Charles Robinson

Mark Johnson

Bryce Remsburg

WCW Announcers

Joey Styles

Matt Striker

Tuesday, May 2001, Week 2

WCW.com Presents

Shane McMahon's Press Conference

The video begins with Shane McMahon standing behind the podium with the new WCW logo behind him.

Shane McMahon: I am happy to announce that WCW has signed a deal a short term deal with Bravo! to air their brand new show, Tuesday Night Live. The show will air in the late night time slot, but will still be shown live. The deal is a test between the two companies to see if a long term fit is to be found. Tuesday Night Live premiers in just two weeks time.

Secondly I want to say once and for all, The War is over. WWF won. This company went out of business because of it. But it didn't die. I didn't buy WCW to put my father out of business. I bought WCW to beat my father at his own game. I want to beat him in the ratings. I want to beat him in PPV buys. I want to make more money than him. But I don't want to see my families company go out of business. While we have no working relationship with WWF and have no intentions to ever do so, we are by no means out to get each other.

We are currently in negotiations to return to Pay Per View across the globe. That first event will be The Great American Bash, on the last Sunday in June. Once we have more details, we will be sure to share those with you.

We are also in negotiations with wrestlers from across the globe to possible come into WCW for the relaunch. While we wont announce any of those details when it comes to the wrestlers we are looking at. I am happy to announce the new broadcast team that will become the voices of WCW. We have come to multi-year deal with the former ECW announcer, and the voice of ECW, Joey Styles. Joey Styles is one of the best in the business, he is the only man to ever call an entire pay per view by himself.

While I know Joey could easily continue to do so here in WCW, we wont ask him to. We have also come to a multi-year deal with his new partner and colour commentator, Matt Striker. Striker is a former high school teacher, who was also training to become a professional wrestler. While Striker is young enough and talented enough to step foot in a WCW, we feel his future is at the announce table.

Last but not least, we have also resigned Jeremy Borash to be a back stage interviewer and ring announcer. We hope that these three men will help rebrand WCW by their unique styles and voices. We hope that the gel together to former what will be the voices of WCW.

Moving away from the talent side of things, I would like to address now the championship titles that WCW currently has. While all title holders will remain title holders for the relaunch, not all titles will remain. We will be retiring both the Cruiserweight Tag Team titles and the United States Title. Booker T, the current United States champion, is also the WCW World Heavyweight Champion. Due to this, Booker T will receive nothing for the retirement of the US Title. On the other hand we felt take the Cruiserweight Tag Titles off of the Filthy Animals a Championship match or contender ship match of their choosing.

We will also be rebranding the WCW Cruiserweight Title. For most of the US history of professional wrestling as always been about the larger athlete. The word Cruiserweight or Junior Heavyweight titles have never been given the respect they deserve. Those terms were used to create glass ceilings to hold back talents. From this point forward this division will a focal point of our company. It will be a division with no limits. It will be a division where high paced action takes center stage. May I present to you, the new WCW X-Division Championship.

Shane McMahon reaches underneath the podium and pulls out the new WCW X-Division Championship and sets it on the podium in front him.

Shane McMahon: Both Billy Kidman and Rey Misterio Jr agreed that they are going to take part in the very first Ultimate X Match. A match that will redefine WCW. At the Great American Bash the very first Ultimate X Match will take place. Gregory Helms will defend his title against Billy Kidman, Rey Misterio and three other men to be announced.

Last but not least, WCW will once again be a place were the focus is always on the ring. Not only will the greatest male athletes call WCW home, WCW will be home to the greatest female talent in the world. Starting on the very first Tuesday Night Live, and culminating at the Great American Bash, we will hold an eight women tournament to determine the very first WCW Women's World Champion.

Shane McMahon reaches underneath the podium and pulls out the new WCW Women's World Championship and sets it next to the X-Division belt.

Shane McMahon: In two weeks time, WCW starts over. The focus is and will always be inside the squared circle. The best in the world will come to WCW to prove they are the best. While some of your favorites will remain, many others will not. You can not change your product, you can not change your direction, without also changing your roster. I want to thank each and every member of the roster that made WCW what it was, and those that will make it what it will be. Thank you.

Shane McMahon steps away from the podium as the video ends.

Friday, Week 2, May 2001

1Wrestling.com Reports

Dave Scherer, from 1wrestling.com, reports massive lay offs from WCW. Those within the industry are calling it Black Friday, as a total of 35 wrestlers, managers and backstage workers have been let go from their contract. The single largest layoffs ever from one professional wrestling company at the same time. Talents were warned that the cuts were up coming, but also told that all the releases would happen on the same day. That way their would be no long term fear for their jobs. While rumors of several new signings have been heard, no new names have been attached to those rumors.

Air Paris

Alex Wright

Bam Bam Bigelow

Big Vito

Bill Goldberg

Disqo

Don Harris

Eric Bischoff

Ernest Miller

Gene Okerlund

Hugh Morrus

Jim Duggan

Johnny the Bull

Kevin Nash

Kwee Wee

Larry Zbyszko

Lash LeRoux

MI Smooth

Mike Sanders

Mike Tenay

Nick Patrick

Norman Smiley

Paisley

Reno

Ron Harris

Scott Hudson

Shawn Stasiak

Sid Vicious

Stevie Ray

The Sarge

The Wall

Tony Schiavone

Vampiro

Vince Russo

Sunday, Week 2, May 2001

1Wrestling.com Reports

In sad news, it has been reported that Jerry Lawler passed away earlier today at the age of 51.

Preview for WCW Tuesday Night Live

The Final 3 spots of the first ever Ultimate X Match at The Great American Bash will be decided on the premier edition of WCW Tuesday Night Live. 6 men will compete to join Billy Kidman, Rey Misterio Jr and the X-Division Champions Gregory Helms. The main event will feature the former 9 time World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair taking on current 4 time World Heavyweight Champion Booker T in his first title defense.

Ultimate X Qualifier

Lance Storm v Jushin Liger

Ultimate X Qualifier

Crowbar v Chavo Guerrero

Ultimate X Qualifier

Elix Skipper v AJ Styles

America's Most Wanted v Jamie Knoble & Johnny Swinger

The WCW Women's World Title Tournament will be announced

WCW World Heavyweight Championship

Ric Flair v Booker T ©

Ultimate X Qualifier

Ultimate X Qualifier

Crowbar v Chavo Guerrero

Ultimate X Qualifier

Elix Skipper v AJ Styles

The WCW Women's World Title Tournament will be announced

Ric Flair v Booker T ©

Tuesday, Week 1, June 2001

WCW Tuesday Night Live

Orlando, Florida

Amway Arena

Attendance: 18,039

The sounds of Pantera's "Revolution is my Name" strike up as a video the old WCW logo blowing up and the new WCW logo raising above the flames. As the song picks up the shot changes rapidly to shots of today's WCW roster performing in the ring. The scene then cuts to the announce booth inside the Amway Arena in Orlando, Florida where the new voices of WCW sit. The voice of extreme Joey Styles and his new colour man, Matt Striker.

Joey Styles: Welcome to the rebirth of World Championship Wrestling! Welcome to the night the business has once again been changed by a McMahon, Shane McMahon.

Matt Striker: That's right Joey, we are live tonight from the Amway Arena in Orlando, Florida for the first ever WCW Tuesday Night Live! Tonight we will see the first title defense of the WCW World Heavyweight Champion Booker T, as he defends against the 9 time former WCW champion, "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair.

Joe Styles: That is all and good, but we will start off with the brand new focus of the company as the Cruiserweight Championship is no more. Tonight the business evolves into the X-Division. A place where there are no limits on what you can do inside or outside the ring. A division where the best of the best in the world today will cut their teeth to prove to the world that they are worthy of being called the X-Division Champion. On the last Sunday of June, we will present to you the Great American Bash live on a pay per view we will witness the very first Ultimate X Match.

The shot changes to an Ultimate X hype video showing the wires hanging over the ring with the X Division title hanging over the middle of the ring. Gregory Helms, the X Division champion is show with highlights being shown behind him. The shot changes again to highlights of Billy Kidman and then to highlights of Rey Misterio Jr.

Matt Striker: Those three alone will steal the show. But tonight we will see three more men join them to see who will become the first face of the X-Division.

Joey Styles: Let's head down....

The sounds of "Miseria Cantare - The Beginning" by AFI interupts Joey Styles as the shot cuts to the new entrance way for Tuesday Night Live. After haunting sounds fade into the intro beat of the song as five people walk out onto the stage dressed in jeans and matching black tshirts that read "Second City Saints" in white letters. As the shot zooms in on each individual their names appear underneath them. CM Punk. Samoa Joe. Christopher Daniels. Nigel McGuinness. Cheerleader Melissa. The shot pans down as the group confidently walks to the ring. The fans aren't sure what to make of this new group as CM Punk is handed a microphone.

CM Punk: What stands before you are the Second City Saints. This is the most talented group of wrestlers this business has ever seen. What stands before you is the revolution you deserve. It is the revolution you are going to get. But I want to tell each and every person in the back and each and every one of you here tonight or watching at home. I'm Straight Edge. If you don't know what that means, let me tell you. It means I'm drug free. Alcohol free. And it means I'm better than you!

The crowd boos as CM Punk hands the microphone to Samoa Joe.

Samoa Joe: My name is Samoa Joe. And I am the Samoan Submission Mission. We are the Second City Saints, and we are the best this business has ever seen. Anyone who stands in our way. Anyone who stands in my way I have one simple message. Joe is going to kill you.

The crowd boos get louder as Cheerleader Melissa grabs the mic.

Cheerleader Melissa: Unlike all these other bimbos that run around here, I belong in this ring. I was born for this ring. Just like the men who I currently share this ring with. While they call me Cheerleader Melissa. I'm not some bimbo cheerleader who is going to stand on the sidelines and watch her men do battle. I am going to get into this ring and fight our fight. I will be the first WCW Women's World Champion. I will revolutionize this sport for women today. I am the future. We are the future. We are the now. We are the Second City Saints.

Christopher Daniels grabs the mic

Christopher Daniels: I am the "Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels. I have fallen from the heavens to preach to you the greatness that will be Second City Saints. Whether individual or as a tag team. WCW will soon be known as SCS. Championships are a forgone conclusion. Those that can't step up, will get stepped on. Because when you step up to the Second City Saints, you are always brought down a rung.

Nigel McGuinness grabs the mic

Nigel McGuinness: Next week all the buffed out dinosaurs that some how didn't get fired 2 weeks ago, will be taken out. Watch your backs, because the Second City Saints are coming for you.

Nigel drops the mic as their music plays again.

Ultimate X Qualifier

In a match that had some good action but non-existent crowd heat, Jushin Liger defeated Lance Storm in 19:27 by pinfall with a Liger Bomb.

Rating: 59

Ultimate X Qualifier

Crowbar v Chavo Guerrero

In a match that had some good action but non-existent crowd heat, Chavo Guerrero Jr. defeated Crowbar in 11:50 by pinfall.

Rating: 52

Ultimate X Qualifier

Elix Skipper v AJ Styles

In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, AJ Styles defeated Elix Skipper in 7:58 by pinfall with a Styles Clash.

Rating: 44

Chris Harris, James Storm and Gail Kim are all in the back dressed in all black.

Gail Kim: For too long these 2 men have floundered in the WCW with no direction. But tonight, I give them direction. Tonight we become America's Most Wanted. And its only a matter of time till the tag team titles are around their waist and the Women's World Championship is around mind.

Chris Harris: You say floundering, I saw men without a direction. But while WCW was dead and gone James and myself ran into each other in the gym. We started talking, and we realized we've got a whole lot in common. We love women. We love beer. And we love to kick ass.

James Storm: You're damn right we do. Jamie Knoble, Johnny Swinger you boys are in the wrong place and the wrong time. Sorry about your damn luck

The trio walk off screen as their theme music begins to play.

In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, America's Most Wanted defeated Knoble & Swinger in 6:39 when James Storm defeated Johnny Swinger by pinfall with a 8-Second Ride.

Rating: 37

A video package plays showing all the contenders for the first ever WCW Women's World Championship. After each women is shown a quick highlight video of each plays. While the quality of the footage isn't the greatest, you can see in the video the talent appears to be so. After all the clips are shown the bracket for the Women's World Championship is shown. Mickie James v Daffney. Cheerleader Melissa v Allison Danger. Jazz v Gail Kim. LuFiston v Madusa.

Ric Flair v Booker T ©

In a bout that featured great action and a good crowd, Booker T defeated Ric Flair in 21:28 by pinfall with a Missile Dropkick. Booker T makes defence number 1 of his WCW World Heavyweight Championship title.

Rating: 65

Final Rating: 53

Increase popularity in 5 regions. Lost popularity in 10 regions.

Rating: .47

Preview for WCW Tuesday Night Live

Live from the Cole Field House in College Park, Maryland you will see the start of the WCW Women's World Championship Tournament plus 3 qualifying matches for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship Fatal Four way that will main event the Great American Bash. Rumor has it that the Second City Saints will be in the building as promised but will they back up what they said Monday night?

Women's World Championship Tournament

Quarterfinal #1

Mickie James v Daffney

World Heavyweight Championship Qualifier #1

Jeff Jarrett v Dustin Rhodes

World Heavyweight Championship Qualifier #2

Scott Steiner v Konnan

Women's World Championship Tournament

Quarterfinal #2

Cheerleader Melissa v Allison Danger

World Heavyweight Championship Qualifier #3

Kanyon v Diamond Dallas Page