Downloading patch 1.03

Here's the link for 1.03: [url]http://72.29.67.246/GDS/BBUpdate103.exe[/url] but, again, I want to stress to people the idea that polls really only impact the game for the GDCS bowl seedings (and both polls combine with the CPU poll for that). Most of the bowl games are a combo of conference finish, prestige, as well as CPU and poll finish. Also, most of the issues involving the polls are sorted out by week 16. So, if you can stand the occassional odd team not dropping out the top 25 fast enough midway into the season, I don't think the polls will impact your enjoyment of the game. Teams will still get a bowl bid based on their performance/conference finish and even the budget looks at wins, CPU ranking (since the polls only go to 25), prestige and conference finish.

Arlie, in a College Sports Game, polls are a huge factor. Accuracy in Polls and Ranking is almost as big as gameplay. Becuase thats what college sports focuses on. It makes the realism level drop coniderably. There is no reason some of the issues people have been posting should EVER happen in College sports. 5 Loss team ranked higher than 2 loss teams, when the 5 loss team is in a lower tiered Conf or lost to the 2 loss team. Thats not real. a #3 blowing out a #9 and they both fall 2 spots in the polls. Not real. 3 loss teams playing in a BCS natl Championship when there are several 1-2 loss teams ahead of them. That would never happen either. It just really needs to be looked at. And I think its a priority when your talking about college football. I know your focus is on version 1.1. But I dont think its fair to people that have purchased and supported the game and get updates. But one of the updates given to them is a MAJOR step backwards in the realism of the game. You have done a great job updating the game, but IMO this really should be addressed by updating 1.04 before bringing out 1.1. Just becuase it makes 1.04 almost unusuable. And 1.03 has too many other small issues to go back to, thats why you made 1.04. Again, just my opinion. Keep working hard Arlie. I'm sure at some point this game will be nearly flawless. Still great for a first version.

[QUOTE=coachcbj] but IMO this really should be addressed by updating 1.04 before bringing out 1.1. Just becuase it makes 1.04 almost unusuable. And 1.03 has too many other small issues to go back to, thats why you made 1.04. [/QUOTE] I strongly echo this part of your post.

Again, I have seen no indication that polls are the "dire situation" many here seem to indicate. The only instances I have seen consistently involve polls in the first half of the season. The top 10-15 at the end of the season seem reasonable in most instances and that's the part that impacts gameplay. There is an issue with the polls, but I cannot keep putting off work on the player editor and HTML reports that many people who have purchased the game have been patiently waiting for to make a small band-aid on the polls that half the people will still complain about. Remember, polls in 1.03 were also a "dire situation". I will work on it for 1.1 and will take some time to try and get it as accurate as I possibly can.

Again, I want to reiterate that I am going to look at the polls in a serious manner for 1.1. I made some small adjustments in 1.03 and there was still a great deal of criticism. Based on that feedback, I redesigned the poll system in 1.04 (to what i think is a much better system by design) and there are still some issues with it. Now, I could take the time to roll back the polls to 1.03 and put that out but there will still be instances where an undefeated team ends up finishing 3rd behind a one-loss team at the end of the season. That won't happen in 1.04, but did in 1.03 from time to time. I don't see what this solves. Instead, I'd like to take a little time to really look into the system and not rush out something only marginally better (or even worse) than what's currently out there. There will be poll improvements in 1.1 and I am working on the update right now. I don't anticipate it taking forever, but I don't want to set a date for release until I have a better feeling on how much time is left. However, if some of you that are passionate on this would like to check out the polls while it is in Beta (and I can still respond to your feedback in a quick manner), I would be glad to add a few of you to the second tier Beta group for 1.1 (just send me a PM). My goal here is to get the polls in the best shape possible in 1.1 and think this is the best way to go for the long term with BBCF.

[QUOTE=Tim Plum]what team?[/QUOTE] Syracuse. Beat a top 15 Nebraska, lost to top 25 Louisville by 2 on the road and lost to top 20 team West Virginia. Sure, it was not a great strength of schedule, but it was still a borderline top 25 season. Being ranked 36 and 29 is crazy. Way too many 4 and 5 loss teams in the top 25.

Final note on this season. We win our bowl game big over UCLA (who was ranked #26 in both polls, first in others receving votes). We finish #34 and #35 in the polls with an 11-2 record and the Heisman trophy winner. Our prestige goes up 1 point....is prestige tied to the final poll standings in anyway??

No, final poll standing does impact prestige or budget. All the polls impact is a portion of the GDCS. Nothing else is tied to them. Bowl bids go by conference finish, prestige and GDCS (for the GDCS wildcard teams). CPU ranking, recruit class, GDCS (for top teams) and wins impact prestige and budget.

Archived