Diary of the Month Awards

Welcome to the new look "Diary of the Month" awards for Total Extreme Wrestling 2013. Starting with the September 2015 voting round, the process has changed considerably. This is the home of the new awards, where you can find links to voting threads and see the monthly rankings; along with a whole host of other related content.

Please use this thread to discuss the DOTM rankings as they are published and congratulate the winners. As this process is completely new, please also use this thread for constructive criticism and to give any ideas on how to improve the system in place. As always, the purpose of these awards are to highlight the great creative work undertaken here; so any suggestions to help that goal be reached are appreciated.

<hr noshade size=3>

INDEX AND QUICK LINKS

<hr noshade size=3>

RULES AND CRITERIA

- This link will take you to the latest version of the voting rules and criteria; any changes will be listed in this post. For the rules relevant to each voting period, see the voting thread itself.

<hr noshade size=3>

SEPTEMBER 2015

[VOTING THREAD] [RESULTS POST]

DOTM Winner: [WWF Attitude Era... Where YOU Decide! by The Nickman]

OCTOBER 2015

DOTM Winner: [WWE: 2016 - Kayfabe Kicks Out by the Lloyd]

NOVEMBER 2015

DOTM Winner: [WWE: 2016 - Kayfabe Kicks Out by the Lloyd]

DECEMBER 2015

DOTM Winner: [Impact Wrestling: The Second Annual "Reboot" by 20LEgend]

JANUARY 2016

DOTM Winner: [WWF: The Golden Age... and beyond? by The Final Countdown]

FEBRUARY 2016

DOTM Winner: [WCW '94-'96: War of the Thrones by Beejus]

<hr noshade size=3>

ALL-TIME RECORDS

- This link will take you to the all-time records under this awards system. You will also find a list of all members of the Hall of Fame.

<hr noshade size=3>

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Recent Rankings

<hr noshade size=3>

FEBRUARY 2016 DOTM RANKINGS

<hr noshade size=3>

As you'll notice below; the ranking table has been cut down to 5. This is to reflect the smaller pool of diaries being voted for (and to save me some time). Another great month for diaries and it was tough to split at the top - but one man pulled clear to take a well deserved crown - Beejus.

You'll also notice the smaller awards have been removed as well.

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>

RANK

</td><td>DIARY</td><td>

</td><td>

MOD

</td><td>

VOTES

</td><td>

AVG

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WCW '94-'96: War of the Thrones [Link]

by Beejus</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WWF/E 2001: Attitude Era Fallout [Link]

by The_CoC</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>JCP: The Race To The Top [Link]

by Anderz</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>ECW 2001: Redefining Extreme[2016] [Link]

by SomeLazyMagic</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WWF: The Golden Age... and beyond? [Link]

by The Final Countdown</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr></table>

#6 NJPW: Kings of Strong Style II by Mootinie - 14 points

#7 Impact Wrestling: The Second Annual Reboot [2016] by 20LEgend - 11 points

#8 SWF – Sports Entertaining by codydbw - 8 points

#9 WWE: 2016 – Kayface Kicks Out by The Lloyd - 6 points

#10 HGC/TCW: The Second Mainstream Giant by elkhour - 5 points

#11 Pro Wrestling... But Not Quite As You Know It... by Nobby_McDonald - 3 points

#12 WWE: The Longest-Running Weekly Episodic Cluster of Shows in TV History! by michgcs - 2 points

#13 World Wrestling Entertainment: 2012 and Beyond... by Destiny - 1 point

#13 It's RTG Wrestling, Biatch! by dstephe4 - 1 point

Rules and Criteria

<hr noshade size=3>

RULES AND CRITERIA

<hr noshade size=3>

Version: 1.2

Updated: 1 November 2015

<hr noshade size=3>

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A PREVIEW OF THE RULES AND CRITERIA POST - DO NOT VOTE IN THIS THREAD

<hr noshade size=3>

Welcome to the new look "Diary of the Month" awards. This is the voting thread for the October 2015 awards.

The onus is now on you the reader to vote for a maximum of your favourite FIVE diaries from the last month in order to ensure that your favourites rank as highly as possible. The process is now more streamlined; this voting thread will stay open for one week; and then the rankings will be revealed.

It's very simple, choose a maximum of five diaries and rank them. Provided they meet the basic criteria below, each diary will receive points based on your nomination and the total points will form the DOTM rankings at month-end.

Criteria:

1. You can not vote for your own diary.
  2. The diary must be posted within the Total Extreme Wrestling 2013 Dynasties forum. (No other diaries will be considered eligible).
  3. The diary must have had two or more show posted within the current calendar month.
  4. Please give a reason for voting for at least your number one vote. Use any other reasoning or comments to promote the diaries you have voted for.
  5. Please vote using the full title of the diary as it appears in the thread listing. If it is not clear which diary you are voting for the vote may not count. (A direct link is not required)

You can vote for diaries using any mod or timeframe; as long as they meet the criteria above, your vote will count.

The DOTM voting process will last for one week with a ranking posted during the following week. A main DOTM winner will be declared; with smaller awards given to the highest ranking diary from the following areas:

• Real world
  • Cornellverse
  • Thunderverse
  • Other mod
  • New Writer (not a member of the hall of fame, a previous award winner and fewer than five appearances in the DOTM rankings)

1st = 5 points

2nd = 4 points

3rd = 3 points

4th = 2 points

5th = 1 point

<hr noshade size=3>

Voting closes at 23:59 GMT on November 8th 2015.

<hr noshade size=3>

For more information, please visit the main Diary of the Month thread.

<hr noshade size=3>

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A PREVIEW OF THE RULES AND CRITERIA POST - DO NOT VOTE IN THIS THREAD

Records

<hr noshade size=3>

ALL-TIME RECORDS

<hr noshade size=3>

HALL OF FAME

<hr noshade size=3>

[Class of 2007] - Monkeypox, Scapino1974, Tristram

[Class of 2008] - Adam Ryland, Nevermore, Tigerkinney, Keefmoon, J-Silver

[Class of 2009] - James Casey, Bigpapa42, Marcel Fromage

[Class of 2010] - Reaper, Dragonmack, Eisen-Verse, Self, Phantom Stranger

[Class of 2012] - jhd1, The Final Countdown, angeldelayette, NoNeck

[Class of 2013] - 20LEgend, michgcs, MJStark

[Class of 2015] - Beejus, Anderz, The Lloyd, Hive, Genadi

<hr noshade size=3>

OTHER AWARD WINNERS

<hr noshade size=3>

See, The Hall of Records for more details.

Kijar, The_CoC, Fruitloop, RKOwnage, Pteriod, Matt Shannon, Ritchardo, Captain2, Mootinie, smwilliams, 3rdStringPG, Zergon, arwink, SeanMcFly, Consrvtve, Jingo, Briskout, Occasional_Z, flaviooooo, justtxyank, The Doctor, Rhudipoo, Tiberious4, BHK1978, The Celt, bretter_person, Voeltzwagon, km007, xqwzyt, #BestintheWorld, Oldschool, Boltinho, olympia, 1PWfan, Jack Hood, Wildfire1234, SHaynes23, Serotonin187, TheBlake, steesh07, LordJaguar, jw_forever, Togg, Nobby_McDonald, TheLeveticalLawKid3, Yoshida, ajcribble, Stennick, dse81, mad5226, Yuu Onuki, infinitywpi, lprock, foolinc, FINisher, Zeel1, totti, D_w_w, iMac, Boom King, D-Lyrium, Tyler Gadzinski, McShamrock, Greg2511, Theoutlaw321, Clarity, Eayragt, sebsplex, TommyTomlin, Gbasalmon, shipshirt, Derek_b, BriFidelity

<hr noshade size=3>

This thread is currently a work in progress that will keep changing over time. As noted in the first post, any comments or thoughts will be openly accepted and taken on board.

As a bit of housekeeping; I shall have a draft of the rules and criteria posted tomorrow hopefully and open them up for a 24/48-hour consultation before going live with the September voting thread later in the week.

Over time this thread will house everything (either in this thread or linked to) related to this new format of the DOTM awards.

Please bare with me as we get through the early weeks and months. There will no doubt be a few teething problems along the way; but with your support we should overcome any obstacles.

This thread is currently a work in progress that will keep changing over time. As noted in the first post, any comments or thoughts will be openly accepted and taken on board.

As a bit of housekeeping; I shall have a draft of the rules and criteria posted tomorrow hopefully and open them up for a 24/48-hour consultation before going live with the September voting thread later in the week.

Over time this thread will house everything (either in this thread or linked to) related to this new format of the DOTM awards.

Please bare with me as we get through the early weeks and months. There will no doubt be a few teething problems along the way; but with your support we should overcome any obstacles.

Thank you for stepping up and taking care of this, Anderz. I agree, there has been a need to "change things up" in this regard (as it's become rather stale in the DOTM department). I look forward to what you do with this & will be an avid voter each month.

This in mind, I thought of a rule that you guys should consider. I think someone should post at least two shows a month to be considered for DOTM. Now, that doesn't sound like a huge change, but consider how often someone (even myself.... especially myself sometimes) can slack off for a month, post one show toward the end of the month, and get nominated for it. That's fine if you're still running a monthly spotlight, but that doesn't scream "I am the best diary of the month"; it just means you posted one show. But if you have to do two shows in a month, then it shows that your diary is active enough to be considered top class in your month. What do you think?

This in mind, I thought of a rule that you guys should consider. I think someone should post at least two shows a month to be considered for DOTM. Now, that doesn't sound like a huge change, but consider how often someone (even myself.... especially myself sometimes) can slack off for a month, post one show toward the end of the month, and get nominated for it. That's fine if you're still running a monthly spotlight, but that doesn't scream "I am the best diary of the month"; it just means you posted one show. But if you have to do two shows in a month, then it shows that your diary is active enough to be considered top class in your month. What do you think?

I like this rule Beejus. Good addition IMO.

And thank you Anderz for stepping up on this. I'm excited to see it in action. Kind of reminds me of the old WCW/Bill Watts era Top 10.

Currently I have it as one show or significant update but I can definitely see the reasoning for two shows and perhaps even get rid of the 'significant update' as it was always a grey area for me. It's one of the (many) areas I was going to ask for feedback on when I post the full rules & criteria later today. But you do raise a very good point and one I'm more than happy to go with.

The biggest problem I see with this would be it limits the options of who you can vote for. I believe this was the rule that was in place before and it was switched over to one show a month because there were not enough candidates. I really do not care one way or the other but I just wanted to play devil's advocate here because someone is bound to bring up what I just said.

I've posted the current mock-up of the voting thread above; please get thoughts and comments in within the next 24 hours as I will be aiming to go live tomorrow.

Paticular areas I'm interested in thoughts on:

1. Any glaring ommisions from the criteria; I've tried to keep it deliberately short.
  2. Current only one show in the month is needed to qualify; should this be two?
  3. Any other minor awards you'd like me to consider? particularly any other mod that may warrant it's own sub-section.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I've posted the current mock-up of the voting thread above; please get thoughts and comments in within the next 24 hours as I will be aiming to go live tomorrow.

Paticular areas I'm interested in thoughts on:

1. Any glaring ommisions from the criteria; I've tried to keep it deliberately short.
  2. Current only one show in the month is needed to qualify; should this be two?
  3. Any other minor awards you'd like me to consider? particularly any other mod that may warrant it's own sub-section.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

1 - Nothing missing from me

2 - I'd go with two. Realistically that's a show every two weeks if you want to qualify for that month, it's not an unobtainable number of shows to do in a month.

3 - I'd say it all looks good. Liking the five categories as they stand.

The biggest problem I see with this would be it limits the options of who you can vote for. I believe this was the rule that was in place before and it was switched over to one show a month because there were not enough candidates. I really do not care one way or the other but I just wanted to play devil's advocate here because someone is bound to bring up what I just said.

fewer candidates might actually be a good thing. We are focused in on the truly best diaries of THAT month -- rather than possibly that one show might be good enough to siphon off a few votes from loyal readers, but not the best of the month. If there are only 2-3 diaries that are active in a given month, then make an exception, but for most it's not an issue to put on 2 shows

Would not hurt my feelings if the nominations made by the readers went to a committee who picked a top 5 -- but oh what a can of worms that would open

Any glaring ommisions from the criteria; I've tried to keep it deliberately short.

Current only one show in the month is needed to qualify; should this be two?

Any other minor awards you'd like me to consider? particularly any other mod that may warrant it's own sub-section.

1. (not glaring, but an omission) I [among others] pitched the idea of an additional reward for the "main winner" to "separate" the award from the sub-winners: the winning diary would be stickied for a month. Would you consider adding/be able to add some additional reward?

2. I agree with MHero on two shows/month instead of one -- it narrows down the qualifying field.

3. I can't find anything.

I like all the suggestions and your criteria, and thank you for taking over this as I haven't passed that along yet.

This probably won't get much traction, but my only suggestion would be to break the Real World Mods into two sections, probably best as post & pre-Attitude Era (really post-WCW). The more current ones pop up more frequently and get a lot more readers because it is easier for readers to jump into as they know everyone. If there were more C-Verse 97 diaries out there, I'd suggest the same thing. There's just too big of a range in RW mods, all the way from 1970 to Current Day for one category, though again, that will probably be a lack of supply for the pre-WCW ends group.

fewer candidates might actually be a good thing. We are focused in on the truly best diaries of THAT month -- rather than possibly that one show might be good enough to siphon off a few votes from loyal readers, but not the best of the month. If there are only 2-3 diaries that are active in a given month, then make an exception, but for most it's not an issue to put on 2 shows

Would not hurt my feelings if the nominations made by the readers went to a committee who picked a top 5 -- but oh what a can of worms that would open

But does the best diary win for that month all of the time? I mean shoot, I have won in the past and I can tell you that nothing I have ever written has been all that great. At the end of the day it is a popularity contest and nothing more.

I see DOTM as being akin (For me at least) to a popular television show. I am not a fan of American Idol but that was a ratings juggernaut for years. However, just because it was the top rated show for all of those years does not mean it was the best.

I would not be in favor of the committee thing at all. That was one of the reasons why I was not a fan of the last end of year awards because someone chose who was allowed to vote and it came across as being very elitist to me. If this is truly for the community then everyone should have been allowed to vote for who won those "awards" last year and not a select few.

Now I am not opposed to the two show rule as that was the previous rule, so if that is the decision it is Cool and the Gang with me.

In regards to Anderz's rules I only have an issue with four. I never get why one must give a reason why they want to see something nominated. Maybe it is because I often do not really know why I like what I like and why I dislike what I dislike. I just like what I like and that is all.

I really do not see the point of my being the hype machine of the stuff that I like. What I mean by that is if I like a diary and I nominate it as I said previously I might not even truly know why I like it, I just like it.

Therefore, I may have a hard time giving a reason for why I do like it. That is why I tend to not give feedback in diaries because my comments are usually something along the lines of, "That was a good show." If I am being honest I do not want to put too much thought behind why I like certain wrestling fan fiction.:D

I will say that I am glad you kept rule one because it keeps people honest. I mean if rule one was not there, I have no doubt in my mind that people would not be modest enough to not vote for themselves.

I am not sure I agree with the New Diaries category either because there are some writers on here who start up new diaries on a regular basis. I see it a lot in the RW diaries, a person will start up a diary and then a few weeks later bam it is gone and then they begin the cycle again.

Apologies for not quoting directly; I'm on my phone and it gets a bit messy so I've kept it simple. As far as I can tell there have been six points raised so far so I'll give my thoughts on them. Feel free to challenge back on these..

One Show or Two to qualify

I'm personally not inclined either way here, so if there are more voices say two then I'm happy to go with that. If it becomes a problem down the road it's an easy fix.

Awards by Committee

I'll echo BHK here and say what gives a certain group of people more say than others? I'd say this system makes the whole forum the committee and is as fair as can be in my eyes.

Stickied thread for the winner

I'd be happy to support this but obviously I'm not a mod so couldn't do it myself. I'd also like to see this thread get stickies as well once we get rolling but again not my call.

Splitting up Real World

This is something I'm not really keen on; I think if we break things down by more than 4 or 5 groups we end up with every niche diary winning an award - and if everyone wins then no one wins. However, if there is more call for it then I shall consider it of course.

New diary award

This was my least certain of the sub-awards. It was more to give lesser known writers a chance for some recognition. But I'm not sure if it would actually achieve that or not. Perfectly happy to leave this one on the cutting room floor unless anyone strongly believes it is warranted.

Giving a Reason

In my view at least, forcing people to say why the diary they think is the best is better than the rest they have voted for is key. In fact I think it helps tackle your "popularity contest" critique. If I have to actually think about why I want to vote this diary as number one I might be less likely to just pick a diary that everyone else has just picked. I get that it doesn't cover all of the "popularity problem" but I think it can help. And it's not like I'm expecting an essay - if it's just "really well formatted - a nice read" or "perfectly booking - had me on the edge of my seat" then that's fine. I think that's better than a list of five arbritray diaries and that's that no explanation no nothing. I'm also only requesting a reason for the top vote so I feel like I've already compromised a little on this - it would probably a big turn off to expect five reasons from every voter otherwise your vote doesn't count.

Some great discussion here, please continue it. I'll make further amendments to the rules and criteria later and get the voting thread opened up tonight all being well.

Maybe for New Diary award, hall of fame writers aren't counted for that? The way I see it, they don't need the rub of being voted best new diary because people are going to see the name first, the diary second. The same reason why I think they should still be listed, for ease of access as to who they are.

The New Diary award could (and should) allow inexperienced writers to get some early accreditation from their peers for their work. Helps people who are just getting their feet wet to keep them wet in a sense.

Maybe for New Diary award, hall of fame writers aren't counted for that? The way I see it, they don't need the rub of being voted best new diary because people are going to see the name first, the diary second. The same reason why I think they should still be listed, for ease of access as to who they are.

The New Diary award could (and should) allow inexperienced writers to get some early accreditation from their peers for their work. Helps people who are just getting their feet wet to keep them wet in a sense.

Maybe what you could do is (Though this would severely limit who would be eligible) limit who can be eligible for the award by not allowing anyone who is in the HOF and by making a cap on how many diaries a new writer can write and still be considered a new writer.

After all when does a new writer cease being a "new writer"?

For instance I could not see someone like you or I (Just using us as examples) being up for a New Diary award because we have already written plenty in the past and theoretically it should not be fair for us to go against someone who is completely new and has yet to develop a following.

Also a cap would stop someone from winning who constantly starts a diary only to end it after a few posts.

If this award does happen then yes I think a list of the Hall of Famers should be posted because then folks would know who not to nominate. The only reason why I thought it was stupid to have it up before was because it served no purpose because it was only a rule when we had the Rookie DOTM but once that ended there was no need to have a list of names in the rules section.

For instance I could not see someone like you or I (Just using us as examples) being up for a New Diary award because we have already written plenty in the past and theoretically it should not be fair for us to go against someone who is completely new and has yet to develop a following.

Aw man, I'm old and I'm not even 20. :p

Agree with you on all the points, BHK. For the "limit" I'd say that a writer ceases to be "new" if they either go about six months consistently with a diary or if they have 5 under their belt.

I've amended the minimum number of shows to Two as discussed.

I've also changed "New Diary" to "New Writer" - currently have it as not a member of HOF but I'd like to tighten that more so that it really does serve a purpose.

I'd like it to be something that's easy to track so maybe it is just "less than three diaries started" and that can cover TEW13, TEW10 and so on. Maybe also have a "started within last three months" for the nominated diary as well..

I'm not sure. But the criteria can be smoothed out as it shouldn't affect anyone's votes with the sub-awards only coming into play once all votes have been counted.

Awards by Committee - I will chip in that I think all awards should be by public vote.

Stickied thread for the winner - Would be nice to see, but that does require a mod on hand to do.

Splitting up Real World - I don't agree on this; if you start splitting it up, even by the aforementioned "pre and post WCW" then what about splitting into 80s? 90s? 00s? That is a slippery slope, and one that I don't think is worth going down.

New diary award - I like MHero's suggestion on how to limit what you describe a "new writer" as. That is honestly the biggest problem with trying to come up with a new diary award, is what makes a new writer? If you can't come up with a way to define "new" then I would say just drop the category. The only other way I can think of to get the desired result (i.e. new diaries not facing off with veteran games) would be to replace "new diary award" with some sort of a "Golden Age" award, for writers who have proven their salt to go against one another. That would take away the HOFers and others who have been here and been diary writing for a long time, so that the new diaries can get their spotlight. But again; what proves that you are an (for lack of a better term) "old writer" aside from an HOF status which not many have? Again, this one may be another slippery slope to start down...

Giving a Reason - I like how Anderz put it, with only giving a reason for the main one you are voting.

I've also changed "New Diary" to "New Writer" - currently have it as not a member of HOF but I'd like to tighten that more so that it really does serve a purpose.

Possibly just 'never won a diary award' before? Might be hard to keep track of, but there's scope for a writer to start and stop several times before clicking enough to start gaining momentum - I had 5 diaries, I think, before my MAW diary caught people's attention. Only one of them really went more than a few months and a few shows, but they informed what I was doing after that, which I guess is the whole point of being a rookie - learning what works, what doesn't... Winning the 'new writer' award would be a recognition of progress, rather than necessarily the passage of time.