Diary of the Month Awards

Possibly just 'never won a diary award' before? Might be hard to keep track of, but there's scope for a writer to start and stop several times before clicking enough to start gaining momentum - I had 5 diaries, I think, before my MAW diary caught people's attention. Only one of them really went more than a few months and a few shows, but they informed what I was doing after that, which I guess is the whole point of being a rookie - learning what works, what doesn't... Winning the 'new writer' award would be a recognition of progress, rather than necessarily the passage of time.

I think this is the best solution. I'm assuming we count the "new diary/never won a diary award" as "an award" in this case, so the "winner" is no longer eligible. One problem with the "Rookie DOTM" is a writer's first shows would be unlikely to be in many [overall] top fives, so there wouldn't be a lot represented.

I'll have the [records, etc] updated soon (probably tonight or tomorrow) so all the past winners will be in one place.

If we do this, should we could Monthly Spotlight? I'd be interested

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the idea of a "Rookie" DOTM.

To me, the primary reason we have DOTM is to drive competition between writers. I know it was perhaps started to bring the community together but on another level, I think it motivates all of us to write better in order to try and beat those diaries written by the great writers that always seem to win. Same reason I don't like the idea of the C-Verse divide. I plan to run a C-Verse diary in the future and I want them to be put up against every other diary on the board, not just the other C-Verse ones. I want to be better than the best, not better than the best of the small group of people that write a mod I am also writing (see how ridiculous that sounds?).

No, we don't need a sub-award for the new writers. Instead, they should be competing against the best diaries on the board in order for them to read the best diaries and get better at writing. They need to be taking bits and pieces from diaries they like and applying them to their own work. They need to be commenting and predicting - interacting with the other writers on the board in order for them to make friends and build a following of their own. A sub-award doesn't help a lesser writer, it only pigeonholes them into the lower echelon of a hierarchy that shouldn't exist in the first place.

To me, the primary reason we have DOTM is to drive competition between writers. I know it was perhaps started to bring the community together but on another level, I think it motivates all of us to write better in order to try and beat those diaries written by the great writers that always seem to win. Same reason I don't like the idea of the C-Verse divide. I plan to run a C-Verse diary in the future and I want them to be put up against every other diary on the board, not just the other C-Verse ones. I want to be better than the best, not better than the best of the small group of people that write a mod I am also writing (see how ridiculous that sounds?).

No, we don't need a sub-award for the new writers. Instead, they should be competing against the best diaries on the board in order for them to read the best diaries and get better at writing. They need to be taking bits and pieces from diaries they like and applying them to their own work. They need to be commenting and predicting - interacting with the other writers on the board in order for them to make friends and build a following of their own. A sub-award doesn't help a lesser writer, it only pigeonholes them into the lower echelon of a hierarchy that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Agreed. Down to the letter.

It's clear that there's still some conflicting ideas about the new writer/diary/rookie/whatever sub-award so I'll leave it as criteria yet to be determined - I've got two more weeks before it needs firming up to publish the rankings.

Keep your ideas and thoughts coming in - but don't forget to get your votes in over in the September voting thread (link in main post).

I have personally never viewed anyone else on here as my competition. To me we are all just a bunch of people who write fan fiction, nothing more nothing less. I write because I have nothing better to do and if people like the stuff I put out cool, if not well hey as Bobby Brown once said, "That's their prerogative" (Well he said my instead of their but you get the point).

To me winning fake awards does not drive me to be better or validate me. Once again if I win cool, if not well then hey I did not win. Maybe it is because I am not a very competitive person in real life, I don't known. The thought of me viewing the DOTM as a contest in which I have to win to prove something is just odd.

Granted is there were actual physical prizes I could win (Like money) then I would view it as the sort of competition you describe above.

If we're eliminating the nomination process and going straight to voting (which I think is a good idea), would it be better to wait until early in the following month to start the voting process for the month we're actually voting on? We're currently voting for the best diaries for September when we're a little over halfway through the month itself.

If we're eliminating the nomination process and going straight to voting (which I think is a good idea), would it be better to wait until early in the following month to start the voting process for the month we're actually voting on? We're currently voting for the best diaries for September when we're a little over halfway through the month itself.

Yeah that always seemed odd, shouldn't we vote for the best diary for September on October the 1st? Also I agree with Moontie and BHK1978 in different ways. I agree that there shouldn't be a division with C-Verse and Real World, it should be the best diary on board if that's a C-Verse diary then so be it. As a 'Rookie' I don't want a separate award, I want to compete with Final Countdown and Lloyd and E-V etc. If I don't win the DOTM then I'll step my game up. But at the same time it is hard for a 'Rookie' to gain momentum because there are so many established writers. I don't think that is a bad thing, it is good that a lot of these diaries are well written and look awesome but as 'Rookie' it gets frustrating sometimes. I think I am going to take BHK's philosophy and just write to please myself if other people like it then cool.

That was a lot of rambling and I apologise. :D:D:D It's good that we are discussing it though, that's what a community should do. :D

I agree with this as well...There have been times that I voted on a dynasty on week 2 then 3 days before the month ends I feel like I wasted a nomination due to an excellent show being written by another diary.

As someone who has been here from the beginning (with several sabbaticals in between), I'm pretty sure the C-V and RW divide came to be due to the negative views on the RW mods at the time along with the fact that most people were writing C-V diaries and RW needed a push. Honestly, I'd rather keep the split in place. The C-V is a very structured and orderly place whereas the RW mods are all over the place in era and stats. Both have their challenges and both should be rewarded.

As for Moontie's comment, please calm down. That sounds like it is coming from an A+++ type. Destroying every other diary with yours every month isn't a reason to be on here, much less write a diary. Writing a diary is hard work and time consuming, not to mention it slows the writer's game down tremendously (whether that is a good or bad thing is debatable). Nobody gets paid to write on here. If you're like Phantom Stranger and write in real life, then this is just a place to try different things out, but for the rest of us, this is just an outlet to share our games while being creative. Improving your writing is totally subjective too. You can be amazing on here and so many things can go against you. From bad luck in the game to just picking an era where a lot of people don't read it to more things.

Write to have fun. As for the whole when voting starts issue, yeah, voting needs to start at the first of the next month if there is no nomination process. Honestly, it feels weird that you could do something on the 24th of the month and it not be counted for that month because the voting has already ended.

Once we get this all settled, let's start a push again for a like button as that would help tremendously. Either that or the ability to set a post to have a comment thread like FB does where you can type "Awesome!" or "Great show!" without each of them being their own post. There are some of us as was mentioned earlier that love some diaries but feel awkward just typing that as a whole post.

Best of luck to everyone in this initial contest under the new rules. Just like UK football last year with the new playoff, I'll be enjoying this knowing I'm not going to win it, and I'm fine with it.

I read diaries on here for two reason. 1 to be entertained and 2 to learn something - maybe find an idea that I can borrow and use in my wrestling worlds.

as for timing, on the ballot that is currently up I looked at the last 30 days (right or wrong). It's the first, so there might be a few kinks to work out.

seems like the ballot should go at the end of the cycle (first of the month), and give everyone a week to vote so it's timely.

Maybe I'm missing something here (quite possible), but I don't fully understand all the discussion about different categories. Isn't this new system of voting intended to leave us with a Top 5 ranking? So we rank all the diaries that get votes. There doesn't need to be a separate vote for top C-Verse diary; the highest ranked C-Verse diary can just be declared the winner. Maybe it was 1st overall, maybe it was 5th. This seemed like the plan to me, so I'm missing something?

Maybe I'm missing something here (quite possible), but I don't fully understand all the discussion about different categories. Isn't this new system of voting intended to leave us with a Top 5 ranking? So we rank all the diaries that get votes. There doesn't need to be a separate vote for top C-Verse diary; the highest ranked C-Verse diary can just be declared the winner. Maybe it was 1st overall, maybe it was 5th. This seemed like the plan to me, so I'm missing something?

It's not really a separate vote. Every diary still gets ranked but the highest CVerse/TVerse/RW/Other diary gets the respective side note/ of the month next to it.

So we still have the overall DOTM but this gives acknowledgement to the best diary in a respective field, so it's the one best diary out of everyone for the month then sub-levels.

That's the way I'm seeing it.

Thanks for taking my post completely out of context, now if we can get back to the point I was actually making, that would be very much appreciated.

Sorry, I thought I addressed your point in the rest of my post. I don't get why you want to crush everyone on the diary board with your diary, but hey, whatever motivates you to write (seriously, motivation is key in keeping a diary going). However, that Diary of the Month award and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee in a diner. Writing a diary on here should be fun for you and enjoyable to read for everyone else. And considering the quality of writing on TV and how many of those shows I like a lot get cancelled every year, you need to keep in mind that some people are going to like other diaries more than yours no matter how great it is.

As for dumping everyone into one giant pool and picking one winner instead of having the different categories, I don't like that idea one bit, and dumping rookie writers into the group will probably curtail a lot of new writers joining. Again, this is coming from someone who knows he's never going to win and did it anyway, but not everyone is going to reach that same conclusion. And no, I absolutely hate participation trophies irl so I don't want to turn it into that either. I like the new voting as you can now try and fight your way up from 15th to 10th in a month instead of praying you'll get nominated.

Again, whatever motivates you is fine, but just don't get frustrated if you don't win and get burned out. That was what your quoted part of my post was about. We need all the good writers out there writing for free, in their spare time, for our enjoyment on this board. Not "Screw this, I'm a better writer than these 4 people, and if this board won't recognize me, I'll rage quit."

Anderz, I just wanted to tell you that I'm extemely happy you've taken over the DotM awards as this seems and looks absolutely amazing! Your visual presentation is stunning and I absolutely love the idea of this thread as the main point of information about the awards, past winners, and as a place for congratulations and discussions. Great job so far, seriously.

That said, why the heck isn't this thread pinned to the front page already? Some mod really has to do it!

I find the new way of voting quite interesting, my one issue with it however is the fact that the month isn't even over yet and we're already voting for the best of September. I've got one vote already (thank you K-Nection :D) but I could really make him look stupid if I suddenly decided to write the rest of the month as if it was a sitcom featuring the Great Khali and his friends.

I'm all for rookie diaries/writers competing against established writers. Even if you're new to the forum you're probably not new to writing altogether. I realize as a new diary writer I'm probably not going to beat the established group but I still look forward to the challenge.

However I do want to keep a divide between C-Verse and Real World diaries, if that's even being debated. I can't bring myself to read diaries based in the C-Verse and I know of people who can't bring themselves to read Real World. Its like fiction vs Nonfiction. Except its all fiction. But people have strong preferences towards the genres in general.

I find the new way of voting quite interesting, my one issue with it however is the fact that the month isn't even over yet and we're already voting for the best of September. I've got one vote already (thank you K-Nection :D) but I could really make him look stupid if I suddenly decided to write the rest of the month as if it was a sitcom featuring the Great Khali and his friends.

Can you do that? You'd have my vote for months!

Ok, so I've been deliberately quiet over the last week in this thread to try and let the discussion tease itself out. I'll respond to a few bits and pieces now.

A couple of bits I agree with that have fed into a few probable changes.

For the October DOTM the voting will not open until November 1st and will stay open for 7 days. That allows the month to actually end first and keeps the voting from dragging on and fresh in people's minds.

For clarity (as there seems to be a little confusion), the voting is for every type of diary - the sub category splits only come in at the ranking stage and allow for a little bit of recognition to a slightly wider group of diaries. There will be one overall winner.

As for the new writer sub category; it will be in place. And I'm minded to set the criteria as follows: writer hasn't won a previous award or be a member of the hall of fame and has been ranked in fewer than five of the new format of DOTM. I think this is fair and am inclined to go with this and see how it goes. Unless there is some major pushback this is what I will go with.

And again for clarity, everyone will be competing against each other. The new writer award is just like the rest of the sub category awards in that it only comes into play at the ranking stage and shouldn't be a factor during the voting stage.

Thanks for the kind words mixed in with the really useful discussion.

Very quick one:

Will there be awards for presentation of diaries and also a monthly spotlight for a particular angle/match/moment etc? Not an award exactly but recognition?

I only ask because there haven been these 'monthly spotlights' before that have lead me on to reading a full diary and it may encourage others to do the same. The presentation thing is just because I really appreciate those who go all out with theirs. :)

<hr noshade size=3>

SEPTEMBER 2015 DOTM RANKINGS

<hr noshade size=3>

In the first installment of the new-look Diary of the Month, 15 voters voted for 26 different diaries - but after all the votes were counted there was one clear winner. The Nickman takes his first award; and his second and third - in one sweep.

Of the 4 Cornellverse diaries, James Casey's PSW was the clear winner - earning a huge 14 more voting points than his nearest challenger.

The Thunderverse contingent saw a close fight, but MHero's #3 rated WORLD-1 took the crown by a single point.

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>

RANK

</td><td>DIARY</td><td>

</td><td>

MOD

</td><td>

VOTES

</td><td>

AVG

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WWF Attitude Era... Where YOU Decide! [Link]

by The Nickman

*DOTM WINNER* *BEST REAL WORLD* *NEW WRITER*</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>PSW: Addicted to Pain [Link]

by James Casey

*BEST CORNELLVERSE*</td><td>

</td><td>

CV

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WORLD-1 International Wrestling [Link]

by MHero

*BEST THUNDERVERSE*</td><td>

</td><td>

TV

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>NAWF: The Redemption of Chase Paige [Link]

by MJStark</td><td>

</td><td>

TV

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WWF: The Golden Age... and Beyond? [Link]

by The Final Countdown</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>NJPW: Kings of Strong Style II [Link]

by Mootinie</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>Pacific Northwest Wrestling [Link]

by Thunderwill</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WCW: The Quest For The Lost Glory [Link]

by TheBigBad1013</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>NEW: First New England, then THE WORLD [Link]

by Uncrewed</td><td>

</td><td>

TV

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WWE: The Longest-Running Weekly Episodic Cluster of Shows in TV History! [Link]

by michgcs</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>Monday Night Wars: The WCW Hollywood Era [Link]

by scarlettspeed7</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WWE 2009 Undisputed [Link]

by Frootloop</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>DAVE: Children of the Revolution [Link]

by arwink</td><td>

</td><td>

CV

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WCW '94: War of the Thrones [Link]

by Beejus</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>Heart of Texas Rodeo Wrestling [Link]

by Jaded</td><td>

</td><td>

TV

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WCW: 1999 and Beyond [Link]

by Henderson</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>SWA: Ares Takes the Territories [Link]

by kanegan</td><td>

</td><td>

TV

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WCW 1994: Clash of the Titans [Link]

by Darbicus</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>A Different Kind of Attitude [Link]

by Jacknifed72</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>1983 USWA Goes Cult [Link]

by smartman</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>WWE 2016 - Kayfabe Kicks Out [Link]

by The Lloyd</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>The Hitchiker's Guide to the WWE Universe [Link]

by Captain2</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>The David Mack Chronicles: NYCW 2014- The Changing of the Guard [Link]

by Dragonmack</td><td>

</td><td>

CV

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>Territory Daze: WWWF Building An Empire [Link]

by Coop</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>ESE: Eternal suffering or just a quick painful crash? [Link]

by Zergon</td><td>

</td><td>

CV

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>

</td><td>Dr Pepper, What's the Worst that could happen... wait [Link]

by to4sty</td><td>

</td><td>

RW

</td><td>

</td><td>

</td></tr></table>

<hr noshade size=3>

The first set of rankings are up.

Any questions or thoughts, let me know. And of course, if there's been a miscount - feed that back as well.

Now, if anyone has more experience with tables than I do - please can you let me know why I've got a massive gap above the table after the text. Can't figure it out at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Try to delete all line breaks between tags (e.g. /tr and tr), it's almost certainly caused by the interaction of HTML and BB codes.

Also, you could set border-style=solid to get rid of the ugly border style :) and please, please remove that width attribute because it's destroying the layout on mobile devices.